43 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.perdiemsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 989-0300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Lighter Fare: Monday -Friday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:15 pm - 9:30 pm
Dinner: Saturday: 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Per Diem
Per Diem’s menu is centered on the use of fresh ingredients and inventive flavor combinations paired with classic cooking techniques. Starters such as the Burrata on a Grilled Crostone with Marshall’s Farm Honey and Toasted Nuts or a San Francisco original, Cioppino with Mussels, Scallops, Prawns, Market Fish and Calamari make for a quick, light bite. Enjoy one of many delectable sandwiches such as the Croque-Madame, Leg of Lamb, or Open Faced Salmon Sandwich.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Per Diem reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (71)fit for foodies (49)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (26)special occasion (23)vibrant bar scene (21)romantic (20)hot spot (19)notable wine list (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/17/2014It was our anniversary dinner, which I let the restaurant know about ahead of time, but instead of doing something special; they did nothing. Didn't even say, "Happy Anniversary" when we arrived or make our dessert special. NOTHING. The service was slow, inattentive and subpar. I believe the server actually snickered at us a few times. DISSAPOINTING experience to say the least!
- DiningSF10Dined on 11/17/2014Dining Room Upstairs - Felt like ascending to a Castle tower. Low noise, but uncomfortable seating. None of the four of our coed group could sit leaning back in the Captain's chairs around our table. Chose that table because of the unappealing high back chairs that faced the wall with the first table offered. Despite the fancy menu description for the petrale sole, it was just fried fish with potatoes. A non batter version of fish and chips (also on the menu). Waitress very pleasant, aimed to please and did. Restaurant not up to her standard.
- Great TurnaroundAndrewVIPDined on 11/15/2014As noted in the press, Per Diem has had a miraculous turnaround. Now not only is the food very good and the service has substantially improved, though not yet at the level that matches the culinary experience. Portions are substantial, perhaps more so than needed but the flavors are on point and will keep your interest throughout. Amazingly, the prices are still very reasonable. The atmosphere is evocative with the downstairs the place to sit unless the bar gets packed. That's likely on Thursdays through Saturdays; so, it's hit or miss in that respect. Overall, I'd give Per Diem high marks; now all they need to do it even out the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Work LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014This is my favorite spot for a nice work lunch. Everything on the menu is great but I usually can't resist the pork bucitini! They have a great drink menu too if its going to be one of those lunches. Our waiter was really helpful suggesting whiskeys and delicious drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good food with attentive service.JoyinfoodVIPDined on 11/13/2014Salads and mussel app very good. Swordfish entree was served in small chunks in a cool bilious green foam and pepper steak over seasoned with pepper. Apple cloufouti excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- remarkPaulaDined on 11/7/2014The food was very good but portions were on the small side. Pricing is inflated compared to the serving size.Special Features:
- Honey... Where's Our Car?OnTopOfItVIPDined on 10/30/2014NO Valet Parking. We had to park in a lot 3 blocks away and walk... Arrived & Seated promptly next to 6 Boisterous diners... Asked to move & were obliged. Ordered: A bottle of Wine, 4 appetizers and 3 entrees 2 Sides served timely. NOT happy w/Pork Belly (ALL Fat) Chef brought replacement to our table which was fine. Baby Sweet Potatoes were Very Good; Special Flat-bread was OK; Bone Marrow topped with Escargot-Minimal amount of Marrow-Escargot was a 'Fun' twist; Skin-on Halibut was tasty however Very Tiny portion; Brussels Sprouts Good; Pork & Beans-OD w/Oregano. Pork Ragu w/Buccatini-Mushy (M.B. was correct); Duck Special-Ordinary. NO room for interesting Desserts. Server (Sara) covered a lot of negatives. House Comped Belly & Flat-bread.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific findBenzDined on 10/29/2014Excellent food and service. The lamb cheeks dish was terrific! The cioppino surprised us - was on the spicy side but still very good . Disappointment - the dessert menu was nothing special, so we skipped. Service was super - helpful, friendly, accomodating, and knowledgeable. Nice to find gems like this as a visitor.Special Features:
- only order drinks at this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2014When this place first opened the food was good. No longer! My tri-tip steak sandwich was oily and the little meat the sandwich did have was over cooked. This place has great ambiance but only appropriate for drinks after work.
- Perfect biz lunch!BasemanDined on 10/22/2014Booked ahead and requested a table suitable for a working lunch - Per Diem gave us the perfect table in a great spot, not too quiet and out of the way but spacious and private enough to talk/work freely. Ambience and service were great and the food notable. My client loved their burger and demanded we come back again, while my chicken was cooked perfectly and accompanied by the perfect rustic mash with a twist involving bacon! Loved it and will be back again very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to love this placeChampagneOystersDined on 10/20/2014Used to love going here and recommended it a lot to friends. Food quality has ru decreased as well as portion sizes. If you order an entree you will likely go home pretty hungry still.
- Unique spot with great foodkristinDined on 10/18/2014A great little spot with character. I had the spinach ravioli and it was fantastic. Would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for a good dinnerawayFromHomeDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed the dinner. Excellent service. Upscale but easy going ambience.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Chicken for $17 -- and it was only a small little breast. Portions way too skimpy. coffee $4. My friend ate a burger --- and it was OK -- but nothing special for $17. I loved the atmosphere -- but I go for food in the middle of the week.WendySpecial Features:
- A wonderful surpriseBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 10/17/2014What a gem. I look forward to going back! Beautiful interiors, and the food was wonderful. I had the lamb cheeks with root vegetables & polenta. As tempting as the rest of the menu looked, I'd probably order it again!Special Features:
- Per DiemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Food was great, short on the wine list (my friend wanted a Moscato.. they only have it on dessert menu, in a VERY small glass). When the food came out, they were 0/3 for putting the right entree in front of the right person. Besides that, it was good, the server was attentive!Special Features:
- tasty and CuteJDeatsDined on 10/16/2014Expect a line even if you have reservations; we had noon reservations and were sat at 12:20. Expect your waitress to think she is too cool because she works at a cute Sf restaurant. Everything was very stereotypical Sf about the restaurant ( think Tartine with savory options) but the the kitchen saved the day before i could hate the place. I had Lamb cheek and it was delish. My colleagues had chicken which looked yum and the burger looked good too. The fries were yummy as well, I used them to sop up the amazing gravy that came with my dish. The upstairs is super cute. I would like to try the place at dinner, perhaps it is less obnoxious then lunch?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for FiDi lunchstonerfoodVIPDined on 10/10/2014Terrific food, good prices, great ambiance, win winSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRyanDined on 10/8/2014From top to bottom this place is truly a SF treat.Special Features:
- Per Diem Offers Great ServiceJillyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Nice ambience and great service elevated an already solid meal. I will be back.Special Features:
- Second thoughtsCarpeDiemDined on 10/8/2014I've always had a good experience at Per Diem in the past, but on our most recent visit, unfortunately, they could not accommodate one of our party who was injured and couldn't walk up the stairs. The host on duty was unwilling to relocate any parties from the accessible tables and booths downstairs, saying it was all reserved for Happy Hour. So sadly, we had to give up our reservation and go elsewhere. This soured me a bit on Per Diem, which up to now been a regular staple in our firm's dining options.Special Features:
- Still living up to its name.nummies4allDined on 10/8/2014We had a robust lunch, shared two starters and an entree, and each had a cocktail. Perfect way to enjoy a lunch. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of one of the entrees at 6 PMOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014With such a small menu, we were shocked that they were out of the lamb that we wanted to try. The risotto was delicious, however. Good service. Not beautiful surroundings--it felt like we were dining in someone's attic.Special Features:
- Downtown GemSteakLoverVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is a nice find in the Financial district. We started with the Pork Belly and Flatbread appetizers which were both great. Our entrees were the Roast Chicken and the Halibut, again great although the Halibut portion size was for a bird. Portion size on the Chicken was enough for 2 people -go figure. The califlouti (sp?) was out of this world. We will go back. Parking in the area is problematic so go early.Special Features:
- Good location, Good FoodHawaiiVisitorVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great lunch location, great food. Very crowded at lunch and at Happy Hour. Need reservations. In general, great service, although this time, staff seemed short handed. Table wasn't available at time of reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in FiDiJohnDined on 9/20/2014Great interior design with an expansive cocktail list perfectly complimented the modern, and delicious American fare our party enjoyed on an early Saturday evening. Comfortable and expansive dining rooms on 2 floors never made the place feel crowded.Special Features:
- Per Diem should go full timebrotherbearDined on 9/20/2014This is a great gem. We met family from out of state for a dinner gathering. Our group of six was given service that was personable and gave us just what we needed so not to interfere with all the catching up. Once the food arrived you could hear a pin drop from our large table as we were deep in the experience of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lunch.BeecherDined on 9/17/2014And the prices were very reasonable. We sat upstairs where it was quiet enough for a business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service completely MIAapleiferVIPDined on 9/9/2014Seated promptly upon arrival, upstairs in the back. Fine, no problem. Waters filled... then refilled... and nothing. Even the manager came by and refilled our water, and yet no one asked us if we wanted anything. Waited what I felt was a generous 15 minutes we got up and left. The manager, then visibly concerned, asked us why we were leaving... too little, too late. (I gave them a three-star rating for food because OpenTable requires it, but we didn't get to eat anything.)
- I will be back!Mswebb11VIPDined on 9/6/2014The food, service and drinks here are phenomenal! A must for anyone who loves great food with a very chill, unique ambience!Special Features:
- Very good service; Good foodEastBayCustomerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good service; Good food; Very nice decor and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningRestaurantseekersVIPDined on 9/4/2014It was our anniversary and had been looking for a romantic place to celebrate the evening, as well as enjoy delicious food and ambience. We were so pleased with our choice, great staff and beautiful interior. We ordered the crispy green beans and they were incredible. My husband and I both ordered fish entrees and both surpassed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotDiner28Dined on 8/26/2014It's right near Bart and has a great ambiance--love all of the wood. Limited menu and food a bit inconsistent--some great dishes and others ok. Flatbread was excellent but swordfish just ok. I would go back because in the Financial District this is a find.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceLoisLaneDined on 8/21/2014The menu was great, something got everyone. Our food was delicious but the service was on the slow side. Had to skip dessert because we ran out of time.Special Features:
- old world ambiance in the FiDi3rdStoneVIPDined on 8/15/2014Per Diem offers a welcome change from other eateries in the Financial District. As you enter you'll encounter a lively bar scene on ground level. But upstairs a well appointed dining room awaits. The service was very attentive and friendly. The food was inventive, locally sourced, and plenty tasty. Take a date, stay out late, and enjoy.Special Features:
- SundaylunchDined on 8/15/2014We dined upstairs. The upstairs was beautiful, our waitress was awesome and gave us excellent suggestions on drinks and food. We would highly recommend this to friends for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Eveningjar321VIPDined on 8/9/2014Took my brother-in-law and his family there for his BDay. Food and service was very good. Very nice interior design to restaurant. Overall evening was a very nice surprise. Place was much nicer and a little more unique then i expected from financial district area place.Special Features:
- Per DiemstewieDined on 8/7/2014The location is great if you work in the financial district for dinner or a drink after work. As always, the food was good. We were, however, disappointed that a shrimp/past dish had been removed from the menu. I have been there several times and the service had been great. This was the first time I had eaten upstairs and the service just wasn't the same. You know the waiter has forgotten you when you make eye-contact and he/she have that "dang, I knew I forgot something" look on their face? That happened once too often this time. If you go, sit downstairs, enjoy the great drinks and have the special appetizer because it is different every week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014The menu is small, but we ordered the beet salad, mussels, oysters, risotto, and cioppino. Everything was delicious. Our server was helpful and prompt. The drinks were inventive and tasty. Décor is boho vintage. Noise level was a bit high, but it's a lively spot for the after work crowd. We will definitely go back, often.Special Features:
- Every bite...DineDivaVIPDined on 7/26/2014was fresh and flavorful. We shared dishes to experience the range of classic combinations with a few twists. This latter made the fireworks! Every subtle flavor was present and complemented with something new. It's such a find to have an atmosphere where we can hear our conversations, too. I'd been here during the day, when it's super crowded with the biz crowd. Was reluctant to return for the dinner scene, until the New Chef took....leadership! Yeah, it took that to stabilize. Now, it goes beyond to fascinate and appreciate. Get your booty down!Special Features:
- The following 397 reviews are from the Per Diem reviews archive.