43 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.perdiemsf.com/
- Phone: 4159890300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Lighter Fare: Monday -Friday: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:15 pm - 9:30 pm
Dinner: Saturday: 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Per Diem
Per Diem’s menu is centered on the use of fresh ingredients and inventive flavor combinations paired with classic cooking techniques. Starters such as the Burrata on a Grilled Crostone with Marshall’s Farm Honey and Toasted Nuts or a San Francisco original, Cioppino with Mussels, Scallops, Prawns, Market Fish and Calamari make for a quick, light bite. Enjoy one of many delectable sandwiches such as the Croque-Madame, Leg of Lamb, or Open Faced Salmon Sandwich.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Per Diem reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (67)fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (23)special occasion (22)romantic (22)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (11)late-night find (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Unique spot with great foodkristinDined on 10/18/2014A great little spot with character. I had the spinach ravioli and it was fantastic. Would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for a good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed the dinner. Excellent service. Upscale but easy going ambience.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014Chicken for $17 -- and it was only a small little breast. Portions way too skimpy. coffee $4. My friend ate a burger --- and it was OK -- but nothing special for $17. I loved the atmosphere -- but I go for food in the middle of the week.WendySpecial Features:
- A wonderful surpriseBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 10/17/2014What a gem. I look forward to going back! Beautiful interiors, and the food was wonderful. I had the lamb cheeks with root vegetables & polenta. As tempting as the rest of the menu looked, I'd probably order it again!Special Features:
- Per DiemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Food was great, short on the wine list (my friend wanted a Moscato.. they only have it on dessert menu, in a VERY small glass). When the food came out, they were 0/3 for putting the right entree in front of the right person. Besides that, it was good, the server was attentive!Special Features:
- Great for FiDi lunchstonerfoodVIPDined on 10/10/2014Terrific food, good prices, great ambiance, win winSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRyanDined on 10/8/2014From top to bottom this place is truly a SF treat.Special Features:
- Per Diem Offers Great ServiceJillyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Nice ambience and great service elevated an already solid meal. I will be back.Special Features:
- Second thoughtsCarpeDiemDined on 10/8/2014I've always had a good experience at Per Diem in the past, but on our most recent visit, unfortunately, they could not accommodate one of our party who was injured and couldn't walk up the stairs. The host on duty was unwilling to relocate any parties from the accessible tables and booths downstairs, saying it was all reserved for Happy Hour. So sadly, we had to give up our reservation and go elsewhere. This soured me a bit on Per Diem, which up to now been a regular staple in our firm's dining options.Special Features:
- Still living up to its name.nummies4allDined on 10/8/2014We had a robust lunch, shared two starters and an entree, and each had a cocktail. Perfect way to enjoy a lunch. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of one of the entrees at 6 PMOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014With such a small menu, we were shocked that they were out of the lamb that we wanted to try. The risotto was delicious, however. Good service. Not beautiful surroundings--it felt like we were dining in someone's attic.Special Features:
- Downtown GemSteakLoverVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is a nice find in the Financial district. We started with the Pork Belly and Flatbread appetizers which were both great. Our entrees were the Roast Chicken and the Halibut, again great although the Halibut portion size was for a bird. Portion size on the Chicken was enough for 2 people -go figure. The califlouti (sp?) was out of this world. We will go back. Parking in the area is problematic so go early.Special Features:
- Good location, Good FoodHawaiiVisitorVIPDined on 9/22/2014Great lunch location, great food. Very crowded at lunch and at Happy Hour. Need reservations. In general, great service, although this time, staff seemed short handed. Table wasn't available at time of reservation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in FiDiJohnDined on 9/20/2014Great interior design with an expansive cocktail list perfectly complimented the modern, and delicious American fare our party enjoyed on an early Saturday evening. Comfortable and expansive dining rooms on 2 floors never made the place feel crowded.Special Features:
- Per Diem should go full timebrotherbearDined on 9/20/2014This is a great gem. We met family from out of state for a dinner gathering. Our group of six was given service that was personable and gave us just what we needed so not to interfere with all the catching up. Once the food arrived you could hear a pin drop from our large table as we were deep in the experience of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious lunch.BeecherDined on 9/17/2014And the prices were very reasonable. We sat upstairs where it was quiet enough for a business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service completely MIAapleiferVIPDined on 9/9/2014Seated promptly upon arrival, upstairs in the back. Fine, no problem. Waters filled... then refilled... and nothing. Even the manager came by and refilled our water, and yet no one asked us if we wanted anything. Waited what I felt was a generous 15 minutes we got up and left. The manager, then visibly concerned, asked us why we were leaving... too little, too late. (I gave them a three-star rating for food because OpenTable requires it, but we didn't get to eat anything.)
- I will be back!Mswebb11VIPDined on 9/6/2014The food, service and drinks here are phenomenal! A must for anyone who loves great food with a very chill, unique ambience!Special Features:
- Very good service; Good foodEastBayCustomerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good service; Good food; Very nice decor and atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningRestaurantseekersVIPDined on 9/4/2014It was our anniversary and had been looking for a romantic place to celebrate the evening, as well as enjoy delicious food and ambience. We were so pleased with our choice, great staff and beautiful interior. We ordered the crispy green beans and they were incredible. My husband and I both ordered fish entrees and both surpassed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotDiner28Dined on 8/26/2014It's right near Bart and has a great ambiance--love all of the wood. Limited menu and food a bit inconsistent--some great dishes and others ok. Flatbread was excellent but swordfish just ok. I would go back because in the Financial District this is a find.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceLoisLaneDined on 8/21/2014The menu was great, something got everyone. Our food was delicious but the service was on the slow side. Had to skip dessert because we ran out of time.Special Features:
- old world ambiance in the FiDi3rdStoneVIPDined on 8/15/2014Per Diem offers a welcome change from other eateries in the Financial District. As you enter you'll encounter a lively bar scene on ground level. But upstairs a well appointed dining room awaits. The service was very attentive and friendly. The food was inventive, locally sourced, and plenty tasty. Take a date, stay out late, and enjoy.Special Features:
- SundaylunchDined on 8/15/2014We dined upstairs. The upstairs was beautiful, our waitress was awesome and gave us excellent suggestions on drinks and food. We would highly recommend this to friends for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Eveningjar321VIPDined on 8/9/2014Took my brother-in-law and his family there for his BDay. Food and service was very good. Very nice interior design to restaurant. Overall evening was a very nice surprise. Place was much nicer and a little more unique then i expected from financial district area place.Special Features:
- Per DiemstewieDined on 8/7/2014The location is great if you work in the financial district for dinner or a drink after work. As always, the food was good. We were, however, disappointed that a shrimp/past dish had been removed from the menu. I have been there several times and the service had been great. This was the first time I had eaten upstairs and the service just wasn't the same. You know the waiter has forgotten you when you make eye-contact and he/she have that "dang, I knew I forgot something" look on their face? That happened once too often this time. If you go, sit downstairs, enjoy the great drinks and have the special appetizer because it is different every week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014The menu is small, but we ordered the beet salad, mussels, oysters, risotto, and cioppino. Everything was delicious. Our server was helpful and prompt. The drinks were inventive and tasty. Décor is boho vintage. Noise level was a bit high, but it's a lively spot for the after work crowd. We will definitely go back, often.Special Features:
- Every bite...DineDivaVIPDined on 7/26/2014was fresh and flavorful. We shared dishes to experience the range of classic combinations with a few twists. This latter made the fireworks! Every subtle flavor was present and complemented with something new. It's such a find to have an atmosphere where we can hear our conversations, too. I'd been here during the day, when it's super crowded with the biz crowd. Was reluctant to return for the dinner scene, until the New Chef took....leadership! Yeah, it took that to stabilize. Now, it goes beyond to fascinate and appreciate. Get your booty down!Special Features:
- solid choice for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food, ambiance, and service. Very friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/22/2014Ordered a chicken caesar salad and it was totally lame. We spent $35 for the two of us and had 2 salads and water to drink and it was less appealing than what I get from the soup company on a daily basis.
- Amazing food!FarmosisDined on 7/18/2014Per Diem came highly recommened to us from some colleages. We were running late and called ahead to let them know and the host (Nick I believe?) was very helpful in keeping our table reserved. Our server Lane was very sweet and she did a great job taking care of us. She gave us excellent recommendations and the roasted chicken was out of this world. Spinach ravioli was very tasty as well. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- DisappointedVHung08VIPDined on 7/17/2014I've heard so much about this place and there was clearly a wait for seating even though we had reservations, which I quickly realized was likely due to lack of service. My shrimp louie salad had an overabundance of shrimp shells and when I asked for hot water, it came in a tea cup with a lot of floating lint. I think the cups may have been sitting idly on a shelf for months, but at least clean them before serving with them! The server took forever to get us the check too. All in all I was disappointed and would have expected more based on all the great things I've heard. Don't think I'll be back though.
- Pricey but goodJustinDined on 7/16/2014Per Firm's drink list is great. The Manhattan Project is a unique & tastey asset. I had a mixed salad and the steak frites (special). The beef and aoli we very umami, which I love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, decent servicekelseymarieDined on 7/14/2014The oysters were fresh, the pasta was made from scratch, and the wine list was great! The service was pretty good, but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Attentive serviceChuckVIPDined on 7/8/2014Great staff; good food; definitely a restaurant where I'd returnSpecial Features:
- Great for meeting!steenDined on 6/24/2014I had a group meeting for 10 and Per Diem was great! The bottom bar area had a lot happening and had a good energetic atmosphere. Our table was upstairs and it was an intimate area and we had no trouble having our meeting while everything was going on downstairs. Plus the food was amazing. I really love risotto and their risotto was amazing. The service was great too. Food came out quickly, our waters were refilled often. Staff was fantastic. Street parking outside around 6pm was really easy and free. Its a little hard to drive to the restaurant, but thats a problem at pretty much all restaurants in the financial district so the easy parking right outside was a unique plus.Special Features:
- The following 389 reviews are from the Per Diem reviews archive.
- lunchwineanddineVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food here was great with very attentive service. The store front was a bit hard to spot if you were not familiar with the area. The signage was discreet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for dining, maybe for cocktailsnickipVIPDined on 6/14/2014Maybe this is a good place for grabbing a cocktail after work but the food was mediocre to terrible. We ordered the kale salad and Caesar salad to start. The Caesar was too mayo based and was just overpowering. The kale salad was much better. The risotto was extremely bland, lacked vegetables and was made with just regular white and wild rice, not the typical risotto aborio rice. The poutine was terrible...I love poutine normally but the oxtail pieces were mostly fatty skin, no actual meat and the gravy just wasn't that tasty. The Bolognese was good. For desserts, we ordered the pot de creme and lemon tart which were grainy in consistency, not smooth and velvety. The taste was ok. For the price and food experience, we wouldn't go back.
- EvezoDined on 6/10/2014The food was below average. The oysters were warm, the waiter was nice & offered to replace the oysters with something else.
- Do not waste your time and moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014We had 3 appetizers the buratta, bone marrow & pork belly; buratta was good, bone marrow was a little under cooked and had no seasoning (salt & pepper) but did have some very old tasting escargot, which did little for the dish and should not have been on the plate. The pork belly however was okay but was overly garnish with some kind of foam. My partner had a green salad which was good and I had the kale salad which was great. For the entrees my partner had the green garlic raviolis which was okay but again was overly garnished, with corn this time. I had the salmon with oxtail raviolis & white beans which where why under cook and the dish had an overall scent of being spoiled so I just ate the salmon which was over cooked and ravioli