1455 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, ON L7S 2J1Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pepperwood.on.ca/
- Phone: 9053336999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 1:00am
Saturday: 10:30am - 1:00am
Sunday: 10:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Pepperwood Bistro
epperwood Bistro is a local hot spot in Burlington serving up contemporary bistro fare and a huge variety of beers on tap including several craft breweries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Pepperwood Bistro - Best Restaurants in Burlington ›
Pepperwood Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (18)scenic view (15)special occasion (15)romantic (10)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (8)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- First time at Pepperwood BistroJoeTVIPDined on 10/19/2014This was the first time a dined at the Pepperwood Bistro. Overall was average to perhaps above average. Service was good. Ambience was average. A good local neighborhood place to go. Good selection of craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally underwhelmedanonymousoneDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I wanted to try this restaurant a few times and each time we booked, the restaurant was totally sold out. We finally got in on a Friday evening and were totally underwhelmed. The service was okay - but the server could have used a smile. Everyone seemed to be talking in their own cliques vs. focusing on the customers. When the food arrived it looked great, but lacked flavor... a lot. I had the wild mushroom fettuccini and it was awful. There was literally no flavor (I don't even think salt was added) and it was just not a great experience. Too expensive for what it was.
- Really different Apps and PizzaPattianneDined on 10/16/2014Besides a creepy waiter, the food and atmosphere was great, some of the standards, which are done well, but many new, different and flavourful items. We have had this waiter twice and he just doesn't get it, is he somebody's nephew?? Not personable at all, speaks under his breath and creeps around. I am not usually this critical and would have kept this review to myself if it was only once, but twice?! Had to say something cause we really like this place otherwise!Special Features:
- Amazing burgers!bkfoodiesVIPDined on 10/12/2014We will definitely be back! Had burgers tonight and found the lamb burger to be very flavourful. Our server suggested a side of salad as opposed to the fries since the burger had poutine on it, sounds weird but it works! The beef burger was very juicy and not over cooked at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceFoodieDined on 10/5/2014When we got there it took them a while to come seat us then toom them another while to get our orders. No one came by to fill our water and when my boyfriend complained about his food they did nothing at all.Special Features:
- Good but not so great at peak timesLouiseDined on 10/4/2014Booking was good & were seated in a booth I had requested. Service was a bit slow, waitress kept forgetting our drinks but it was between 8pm & 10pm on a Saturday though it quieted down around 9. Food was okay but maybe best not to go on a busy Saturday night as have had much better other times we have been. Definitely not a steak house, but mussels, short ribs & curry noodles are usually quite good and find the pricing quite reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, great atmospheremy2centsDined on 10/4/2014A Friday night out with friends. Casual but trendy. Great atmosphere, great music and happily busy noise level, as there were lots of other diners. Food is good, you get what you expect, portions are decent. Service was good except that dessert came way after we finished our coffee so I ended up sending it back. Wine was good, I've had their beer before and enjoyed it. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodBurlguyDined on 9/28/2014We go to Pepperwood from time to time and it is good but this time it was POOR. The steak was cold. We told our server who offered to reheat it but how do you reheat a steak.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch is fabulousMom2GoDined on 9/28/2014The outdoor setting and jazz was fantastic for a meeting with great friends. Musician was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Few veg options. Nice locationBurlingtonGirlDined on 9/26/2014Went with a party of 5. Only 1 of us enjoyed the meal. Too many options on menu had seafood.The menu only had 3 veg options. Said they can take meat out of any meal, but it wouldn't leave much and you'd be paying a lot for a small meal. My friend ordered 1 of the veg pastas but did not like it. My friend ordered the prime rib and it was chewy and the Yorkshire pudding was the worst. The potatoes were good. I had a salad. I like the dressing, but they didn't put enough. The steak on my salad was really good, but not the lrg chunks of lettuce. It looked like they grabbed a head of ice-burg and cut it into 1/4 and threw it on the plate. I don't know how they washed the lettuce properly. Burger and steak were ok but $$$. Nice to sit outsideSpecial Features:
- Service ok but food just terrible!DissatisfiedcustomerDined on 9/17/2014Had the calamari to start and the breeding was overpowering and incredibly bland!! Then ordered crab stuffed salmon..sounded great and taster DISGUSTING. The crab was just completely gross. I went to dinner with a friend of mine who ordered the chicken and shrimp curry noodles which had hard, day old chicken in it. Overall terrible experience and I would not recommended going.
- Pepperwood BistroreggieDined on 9/13/2014Our group had a good meal at Pepperwood's in September. The food was very good, and the service was excellent. The booth could have been a little bigger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service DisappointingLifeisa10Dined on 9/11/2014This was a staff celebration. The restaurant is beautiful but the service was poor! Waitress didn't check in very much and charged the incorrect bill to my cc and basically said oh well. I am very disappointed and probaby won't return.Special Features:
- good but room to improveSeekingUmamiDined on 9/6/2014Went with 4 adults. Beer list great. For shared appetizers: crab cakes were okay but nothing outstanding (avocado puree was quite bland and there wasn't enough corn relish or red ale aioli to critique; mussels too small but good flavour; calamari was excellent and tender...would have liked to have had the squiggly parts too, not just rings. We all loved the complementary hummous and bread. Two of us had shrimp and chicken noodles; good but could have been spicier. Two had short ribs...they loved them...very tender and meaty. Only complaint was that mains came out before appetizers were done...it was a slow night so no excuse, really. Very sad to see the mushroom toast taken off menu and changed to prime rib with mushroom flatbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and delicious Sat brunch.AlwayswiththefoodDined on 9/6/2014Six of us had brunch on Saturday, 4 adults and 2 well behaved children. The eggs benedict, prime rib hash (yum!) and prime poutine were delicious. The bread pudding French toast was just so-so. I was concerned that I had made a reservation via Open Table but they didn't have it in their books - if we had gone later we would have been unable to get a table - they are often very busy. Thankfully they were mostly free and the service was excellent - very attentive and cheerful. The kids also enjoyed the place but I wouldn't recommend it for kids who can't sit still in booths or tall bar tables. We will be back to try the dinner menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!valentineDined on 8/29/2014Had lunch here to celebrate my 21-year-old daughter's birthday. Service was excellent! The restaurant didn't have a lot of people at the time since the Ribfest was on across the street but a very pleasant experience overall.Special Features:
- vanreviewerDined on 8/27/2014Ambience was nice & romantic, being that it is right across the street from the waterfront, which probably explains why the prices were so high. Considering the food quality did not justify the final price of the bill, I was not content with the pricing of the meals. The menu was decent, in that there was something interesting for probably any customer - including vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My first time at Pepperwood celebrating a friend's bachelorette. Everything was so lovely! Our server was wonderful, easy-going, and attentive, the food was delicious, and the live music was great. Our bride-to-be really enjoyed herself. I would recommend this spot to family and friends and look forward to returning myself.Special Features:
- Good first impressionBigJer1983Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I just moved from Toronto to suburban Burlington, so we're still scoping out some the scene for bars and restaurants that could become long term favourites - aside from the usual chain places. From our first visit, Pepperwood Bistro seems very promising. The draft list was huge and featured a great selection of Ontario micros, imports and of course some very passable beers brewed in house. The menu was almost too large, but provided enough options to ensure that you'd never have to order the same thing twice. My wife and I had 10 oz prime rib burgers with a different array of toppings. Service was ok. Friendly but a little inattentive when we needed it most. Will certainly return, and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennyDined on 8/16/2014Good selection of menu items at reasonable prices. Always a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceNevercomingbackDined on 8/7/2014We waited at our table for our first introduction to our server for at least 15 min. There was only 2 other diners in the restaurant and we saw at least 5 waiters/waitresses walking around. I made eye contact with all of them and no one even acknowledged me. The waiter who turned out to be our server had walked by our table twice and looked right at us. Then after we had been waiting for 15 min or so came up to our table and apologized stating that "no one had told me that one of his tables was filled". After this initial annoyance he was not a bad waiter but the food was not that good and the experience had been ruined. This was the first time ever we did not tip.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Great except the hamburger of one of my guests was over cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be Back...Ever!!palliserpaulVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wow. What a disappointment. For such a great location and awesome patio setting, the service was beyond horrible. When ther waiter admitted that he 'forgot about us', that was the only 'positive' experience of the service. Food was okay but the asian dish was basically just a ton of rice and some vegetables. The meatloaf was nice, but the garnishes were stone cold. I would have complained if someone had come to check on us!Special Features:
- Reservation listOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Only item to comment on was that I had made the reservation But it was not on the hostess' list at the stand. I had to show the email confirmation from my phone. Minor delay in setting , as they were not full at that time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moho35Dined on 7/31/2014Pepperwoods is a good place to eat. The reason I'm giving this a poor review is not due to the food or service but for the lack of customer service or should I say very poor customer service. The short of it is I went there with my wife and we had got a 100$ gift certificate for this place for my birthday. We asked for the bill which was just under 100$. I gave the gift certificate to her. She came back a few minutes later and said that they are no longer excepting them anymore due to the recent change in ownership. When I enquired about it she said they stopped taking them as of June 15th. It was now July 20th. I guess I'm just disappointed they would just take it. It's not like it's a year later or something. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- PoorDisappointedDined on 7/29/2014Expensive food of poor quality. She had the "fish cakes" and I had the ribs, and both left us with a bad taste in the mouth.Special Features:
- Bustling, a bit loud, great food!FoodieQueenDined on 7/26/2014Great menu! I tried the seafood cakes as an appetizer and the pork belly tacos for my entree. Both were really good and the portions were substantial. My friends had the crab cakes, signature burger, seared chicken supreme, roasted pickerel and smoked salmon salad. Everyone was happy and stuffed! We went on a sunny and warm Saturday night so it was very busy. There was a bit of a wait between courses but the server was great and checked in with us often - and the wine helped. Would recommend this restaurant for just about anything - casual dinner on the patio or bar/lounge or a special group dinner (they have a private room in the back).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PepperwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014It took a long time for our server to come (15 minutes). We felt rushed, even though it wasn't busy. Many fruit flies. Food was okay.
- Delish!luv2dineDined on 7/19/2014The food was awesome! The only downfall was that I was not told before hand that the salmon was sold out. I had to scramble to find another choice. But the Prawns & Smoked Chicken Gnocchi turned out to be spectacular! In a way I was glad I had to try something different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyVIPDined on 7/17/2014The food just continues to disappoint. I had not been here in a few years but the food quality has not changed.
- over pricedJKingLombardiDined on 7/5/2014Food was not fine dining quality, and was overpriced.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Pepperwood Bistro reviews archive.
- A short notice Anniversary dinnerfirsttimeparentsgetawayDined on 6/23/2014Our first night out for dinner without our little and it was our anniversary. We went for an early dinner (4:30-5:00pm). I looked up patio views of the lake so that we could have a romantic dinner with a view unfortunately, we got to spend only about 30 mins outside before the rain forced us indoors. What we did see was really heavy road traffic and lots of trees obscuring the lake view.. but the food was fantastic! We ordered the mushroom toast and Artisan Local Cidar mussels. delicious & didn't take too long to come to the table. the Short Ribs Bourguignon and the Kona pizza. Both exceeded out expectations. The Bourguignon melted in your mouth excellent, with some well prepared veggies! Kona was delicious and was not short on toppings!Special Features:
- Great Patio Dining!munchabunchDined on 6/21/2014Scenic lake views on top of excellent food! Food was excellent, service was outstanding and the live music really took it over the top! I went with the Canadian Burger - which had to be the best burger I have ever had anywhere! The fries with it were excellent My girlfriend went with the Fish & Chips - a classic choice and this one did not disappoint either, the fish was fresh and the chips were also top notch. I would highly recommend this location to anyone visiting downtown Burlington or looking for a great evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressed at allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My son and I took my husband here for Father's day. It was our first time and we were very disappointed. The coffee was almost cold and we had to ask for a fresh cup. When our omelettes arrived, they were dried out and 2 of the 3 omelettes had hardly any cheese in them. No salt and pepper was offered and there was no one around to ask for it (had to get it ourselves). They also had a man playing some nice guitar/singing at the restaurant next to Pepperwood. We were sitting on the patio had to listen to 2 competing sounds (as Pepperwood was playing music on their stereo) until we requested if they could please turn off the music while the live music was happening. All in all, a very disappointing way to spend $50 and Father's day breakfast.
- Usually excellentQualityLifeVIPDined on 6/15/2014Pepperwoods has been a favourite of mine for many years. The atmosphere, food and service are second to none. As a micro brewery on the lake, with live music on the weekend and Sunday for brunch, it has something for everyone.Special Features:
- Reliable spot downtown BurlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Decent place, nothing really fancy. Apps were especially good, mains were "ok". Friendly, efficient service.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance except for the noiseWillDined on 6/8/2014I liked everything about the restaurant (food, ambiance, service) except for the acoustics. They are brutal. There weren't that many patrons when we were there, but we couldn't hear ourselves talking over all the din and noise of the place. The tables next to us seemed to have the same problem as they were talking extremely loud in their conversations, which added or was the source of the noise. Not sure what can be done, but it definitely takes away from the otherwise nice ambiance of the place.Special Features:
- forgetableQueenKDined on 6/8/2014Met a friend for lunch here on a Sunday recently, service was alright. The waitress gave the soup of the day options which I ordered with a caesar and came back 10 minutes later to say they were out. I changed my order to the salmon salad, she said they had already made the caesar, did I want the salmon on it instead... I didn't. The live jazz was a bit loud, made conversation difficult. The salmon was undercooked and the salad was oily and overdressed. Overall I wouldn't recommend or return.Special Features:
- BrendaDined on 6/6/2014Nice ambience, inside and out. Food was enjoyable, location on the lakeshore in Burlington always makes this a nice place to dine. We did dine on the patio so the noise level was signficantly higher than it would have been inside. Server was knowledgeable and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday at Pepperwoods BistroAlfieDined on 6/2/2014Presentation of cooked garlic cloves mushed on one side of the bowl of oil and vinegar was unimpressive , no explanation of what it was...... Very noisy with motor cycles back and forth, not conducive to conversation. My one glass of wine was billed as an open bottle, no ,would not bother to go there again. When they refill for coffee, it is always half a cup....? Cream residue was up higher on inside of creamer than the cream for the coffee..... None of my party of four would choose to come back either..there have to be better places in Burlington. The idea of dining with a water view led us to believe intimate relaxing environment. Very disappointed. Should have moved inside. Clear sound shields to lower noise volume.....Special Features: