1455 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, ON L7S 2J1Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pepperwood.on.ca/
- Phone: 9053336999
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 1:00am
Saturday: 10:30am - 1:00am
Sunday: 10:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wine Bar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Pepperwood Bistro
epperwood Bistro is a local hot spot in Burlington serving up contemporary bistro fare and a huge variety of beers on tap including several craft breweries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Pepperwood Bistro - Best Restaurants in Burlington ›
Pepperwood Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (20)scenic view (19)great for lunch (18)special occasion (16)romantic (12)fit for foodies (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Service DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014This was a staff celebration. The restaurant is beautiful but the service was poor! Waitress didn't check in very much and charged the incorrect bill to my cc and basically said oh well. I am very disappointed and probaby won't return.Special Features:
- good but room to improveSeekingUmamiDined on 9/6/2014Went with 4 adults. Beer list great. For shared appetizers: crab cakes were okay but nothing outstanding (avocado puree was quite bland and there wasn't enough corn relish or red ale aioli to critique; mussels too small but good flavour; calamari was excellent and tender...would have liked to have had the squiggly parts too, not just rings. We all loved the complementary hummous and bread. Two of us had shrimp and chicken noodles; good but could have been spicier. Two had short ribs...they loved them...very tender and meaty. Only complaint was that mains came out before appetizers were done...it was a slow night so no excuse, really. Very sad to see the mushroom toast taken off menu and changed to prime rib with mushroom flatbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and delicious Sat brunch.AlwayswiththefoodDined on 9/6/2014Six of us had brunch on Saturday, 4 adults and 2 well behaved children. The eggs benedict, prime rib hash (yum!) and prime poutine were delicious. The bread pudding French toast was just so-so. I was concerned that I had made a reservation via Open Table but they didn't have it in their books - if we had gone later we would have been unable to get a table - they are often very busy. Thankfully they were mostly free and the service was excellent - very attentive and cheerful. The kids also enjoyed the place but I wouldn't recommend it for kids who can't sit still in booths or tall bar tables. We will be back to try the dinner menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!valentineDined on 8/29/2014Had lunch here to celebrate my 21-year-old daughter's birthday. Service was excellent! The restaurant didn't have a lot of people at the time since the Ribfest was on across the street but a very pleasant experience overall.Special Features:
- vanreviewerDined on 8/27/2014Ambience was nice & romantic, being that it is right across the street from the waterfront, which probably explains why the prices were so high. Considering the food quality did not justify the final price of the bill, I was not content with the pricing of the meals. The menu was decent, in that there was something interesting for probably any customer - including vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My first time at Pepperwood celebrating a friend's bachelorette. Everything was so lovely! Our server was wonderful, easy-going, and attentive, the food was delicious, and the live music was great. Our bride-to-be really enjoyed herself. I would recommend this spot to family and friends and look forward to returning myself.Special Features:
- Good first impressionBigJer1983Dined on 8/17/2014My wife and I just moved from Toronto to suburban Burlington, so we're still scoping out some the scene for bars and restaurants that could become long term favourites - aside from the usual chain places. From our first visit, Pepperwood Bistro seems very promising. The draft list was huge and featured a great selection of Ontario micros, imports and of course some very passable beers brewed in house. The menu was almost too large, but provided enough options to ensure that you'd never have to order the same thing twice. My wife and I had 10 oz prime rib burgers with a different array of toppings. Service was ok. Friendly but a little inattentive when we needed it most. Will certainly return, and look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KennyDined on 8/16/2014Good selection of menu items at reasonable prices. Always a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceNevercomingbackDined on 8/7/2014We waited at our table for our first introduction to our server for at least 15 min. There was only 2 other diners in the restaurant and we saw at least 5 waiters/waitresses walking around. I made eye contact with all of them and no one even acknowledged me. The waiter who turned out to be our server had walked by our table twice and looked right at us. Then after we had been waiting for 15 min or so came up to our table and apologized stating that "no one had told me that one of his tables was filled". After this initial annoyance he was not a bad waiter but the food was not that good and the experience had been ruined. This was the first time ever we did not tip.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Great except the hamburger of one of my guests was over cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be Back...Ever!!palliserpaulVIPDined on 8/1/2014Wow. What a disappointment. For such a great location and awesome patio setting, the service was beyond horrible. When ther waiter admitted that he 'forgot about us', that was the only 'positive' experience of the service. Food was okay but the asian dish was basically just a ton of rice and some vegetables. The meatloaf was nice, but the garnishes were stone cold. I would have complained if someone had come to check on us!Special Features:
- Reservation listOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Only item to comment on was that I had made the reservation But it was not on the hostess' list at the stand. I had to show the email confirmation from my phone. Minor delay in setting , as they were not full at that time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moho35Dined on 7/31/2014Pepperwoods is a good place to eat. The reason I'm giving this a poor review is not due to the food or service but for the lack of customer service or should I say very poor customer service. The short of it is I went there with my wife and we had got a 100$ gift certificate for this place for my birthday. We asked for the bill which was just under 100$. I gave the gift certificate to her. She came back a few minutes later and said that they are no longer excepting them anymore due to the recent change in ownership. When I enquired about it she said they stopped taking them as of June 15th. It was now July 20th. I guess I'm just disappointed they would just take it. It's not like it's a year later or something. I will not be going back.Special Features:
- PoorDisappointedDined on 7/29/2014Expensive food of poor quality. She had the "fish cakes" and I had the ribs, and both left us with a bad taste in the mouth.Special Features:
- Bustling, a bit loud, great food!FoodieQueenDined on 7/26/2014Great menu! I tried the seafood cakes as an appetizer and the pork belly tacos for my entree. Both were really good and the portions were substantial. My friends had the crab cakes, signature burger, seared chicken supreme, roasted pickerel and smoked salmon salad. Everyone was happy and stuffed! We went on a sunny and warm Saturday night so it was very busy. There was a bit of a wait between courses but the server was great and checked in with us often - and the wine helped. Would recommend this restaurant for just about anything - casual dinner on the patio or bar/lounge or a special group dinner (they have a private room in the back).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PepperwoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014It took a long time for our server to come (15 minutes). We felt rushed, even though it wasn't busy. Many fruit flies. Food was okay.
- Delish!luv2dineDined on 7/19/2014The food was awesome! The only downfall was that I was not told before hand that the salmon was sold out. I had to scramble to find another choice. But the Prawns & Smoked Chicken Gnocchi turned out to be spectacular! In a way I was glad I had to try something different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyVIPDined on 7/17/2014The food just continues to disappoint. I had not been here in a few years but the food quality has not changed.
- over pricedJKingLombardiDined on 7/5/2014Food was not fine dining quality, and was overpriced.
- A short notice Anniversary dinnerfirsttimeparentsgetawayDined on 6/23/2014Our first night out for dinner without our little and it was our anniversary. We went for an early dinner (4:30-5:00pm). I looked up patio views of the lake so that we could have a romantic dinner with a view unfortunately, we got to spend only about 30 mins outside before the rain forced us indoors. What we did see was really heavy road traffic and lots of trees obscuring the lake view.. but the food was fantastic! We ordered the mushroom toast and Artisan Local Cidar mussels. delicious & didn't take too long to come to the table. the Short Ribs Bourguignon and the Kona pizza. Both exceeded out expectations. The Bourguignon melted in your mouth excellent, with some well prepared veggies! Kona was delicious and was not short on toppings!Special Features:
- Great Patio Dining!munchabunchDined on 6/21/2014Scenic lake views on top of excellent food! Food was excellent, service was outstanding and the live music really took it over the top! I went with the Canadian Burger - which had to be the best burger I have ever had anywhere! The fries with it were excellent My girlfriend went with the Fish & Chips - a classic choice and this one did not disappoint either, the fish was fresh and the chips were also top notch. I would highly recommend this location to anyone visiting downtown Burlington or looking for a great evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressed at allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My son and I took my husband here for Father's day. It was our first time and we were very disappointed. The coffee was almost cold and we had to ask for a fresh cup. When our omelettes arrived, they were dried out and 2 of the 3 omelettes had hardly any cheese in them. No salt and pepper was offered and there was no one around to ask for it (had to get it ourselves). They also had a man playing some nice guitar/singing at the restaurant next to Pepperwood. We were sitting on the patio had to listen to 2 competing sounds (as Pepperwood was playing music on their stereo) until we requested if they could please turn off the music while the live music was happening. All in all, a very disappointing way to spend $50 and Father's day breakfast.
- Usually excellentQualityLifeVIPDined on 6/15/2014Pepperwoods has been a favourite of mine for many years. The atmosphere, food and service are second to none. As a micro brewery on the lake, with live music on the weekend and Sunday for brunch, it has something for everyone.Special Features:
- Reliable spot downtown BurlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Decent place, nothing really fancy. Apps were especially good, mains were "ok". Friendly, efficient service.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance except for the noiseWillDined on 6/8/2014I liked everything about the restaurant (food, ambiance, service) except for the acoustics. They are brutal. There weren't that many patrons when we were there, but we couldn't hear ourselves talking over all the din and noise of the place. The tables next to us seemed to have the same problem as they were talking extremely loud in their conversations, which added or was the source of the noise. Not sure what can be done, but it definitely takes away from the otherwise nice ambiance of the place.Special Features:
- forgetableQueenKDined on 6/8/2014Met a friend for lunch here on a Sunday recently, service was alright. The waitress gave the soup of the day options which I ordered with a caesar and came back 10 minutes later to say they were out. I changed my order to the salmon salad, she said they had already made the caesar, did I want the salmon on it instead... I didn't. The live jazz was a bit loud, made conversation difficult. The salmon was undercooked and the salad was oily and overdressed. Overall I wouldn't recommend or return.Special Features:
- BrendaDined on 6/6/2014Nice ambience, inside and out. Food was enjoyable, location on the lakeshore in Burlington always makes this a nice place to dine. We did dine on the patio so the noise level was signficantly higher than it would have been inside. Server was knowledgeable and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday at Pepperwoods BistroAlfieDined on 6/2/2014Presentation of cooked garlic cloves mushed on one side of the bowl of oil and vinegar was unimpressive , no explanation of what it was...... Very noisy with motor cycles back and forth, not conducive to conversation. My one glass of wine was billed as an open bottle, no ,would not bother to go there again. When they refill for coffee, it is always half a cup....? Cream residue was up higher on inside of creamer than the cream for the coffee..... None of my party of four would choose to come back either..there have to be better places in Burlington. The idea of dining with a water view led us to believe intimate relaxing environment. Very disappointed. Should have moved inside. Clear sound shields to lower noise volume.....Special Features:
- Greatlove4everDined on 6/1/2014We enjoyed our lunch at Pepperwoods on Sunday. We sat outside, even though it was a little cool, it did not dter us from enjoying the music from jazz guitarist, Michael, and the great scenery. We have been there before, and never disappointed. Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and coldEzekiel7Dined on 5/24/2014On the bright side our waiter knew a lot about the menu. He gave us great options based on our dietary restrictions. However it took Over an hour for our entrees to arrive and half our meals were cold. We did not make any special requests or substitutions .Guests who arrived 30+ minutes after us received their meals and had finished eating before we received ours.Special Features:
- The following 39 reviews are from the Pepperwood Bistro reviews archive.
- It was an off night.ElleDined on 5/19/2014I have had some wonderful meals at Pepperwood. But this visit was not one of them. I think they'd had a pretty busy day due to the Victoria Day holiday. Service was off, food was not up to par, but we had a group table in a quiet location and were able to have a good visit. If it was my first visit there I would probably not go back, but knowing how good the food and service can be, I'd definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's up with those bathroom locksKartelDined on 5/11/2014What's up with the bathroom locks not working on either of the men's washrooms. Kinda awkward when guys trying to bust in and your sitting there scrambling to keep the door closed. Get that fixed ASAP son... Boss food, still thinking bout dat seared Tuna filet. Little pricy, but food is proper still..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor WaitressBurlyfoodie90Dined on 5/11/2014This is one of my favourite restaurants and I visit often! However my last visit there was very disappointing! No complaints about the food, but the service was horrible! After being seated we waited almost 30 minutes for the waitress to even come over and take our drink order. We had been there well over an hour before we even had our appetizer. Our drinks were empty most of the meal, and we had to ask twice before getting a refill. The restaurant was not overly busy, and tables around us that were served by a different wait staff seemed to have much quicker service. Our waitress appeared to be standing chatting with the bar tender most of the time! I will be back as I love this restaurant, I will just be hoping for a different waitress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We enjoyed meeting up for a Mother's day early dinner. The food and service was great. We would recommend this restaurant to family and friends and plan to return again this summer.Special Features:
- Outstanding at all levels!foodaliciousDined on 5/11/2014Customer service was outstanding, friendly servers, food was hot, fresh and plentiful .. deserts not so interesting , looked store bought , but not really big on deserts unless interesting , out of the ordinary.. the music was not my style, so sat far away, heard him there once before, but not a major distraction , personal taste more than anything .. otherwise, no complaints.. really enjoyed out mothers day , and the sun made it that much more pleasant.. thanks!Special Features:
- Far from fine diningBernieDined on 5/10/2014We went with two other couples for a special occasion. Food was very good. Could not have a conversation how loud the noise was. Couldn't wait to get out and have a coffee and dessert somewhere else.Special Features:
- disappointingaljd0002Dined on 5/10/2014The hostess was rude and unwelcoming......we waited 15 minutes for a server...when she came she was very good......the food was at our table less than 10 minutes after we ordered it, not fresh. Our impression the whole time was that they were rushing us outSpecial Features:
- Not impressedmadoheDined on 4/30/2014Went for a special dinner. Ordered blackened fish. Received anything but blackened fish with a white sauce. The waitress said "she didn't think it looked blackened"!!!! and took it away. Waitress returned with second plate which still didn't look or taste blackened. Waitress apologized saying the chef had confused blackened with some special that had been on the luncheon menu. We gave up and didn't send the second plate back. Just won't return.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableAnnie123Dined on 4/20/2014Great location, the brunch was excellent and great staff.....we will definitely be back. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oh humressagDined on 4/20/2014everything was just OK. I have been there on other occasions were it has been a lot better. Margarita pizza was great. Prime Rib beef dip was very disappointing. Too many onions and too little beef, plus there was no dip. It seemed as though the dip was put directly on the sandwich which made it soggie. Waiter seemed tentative, anxious and nervous; plus, he didn't seem very knowledgeable having to refer to the menu on occasion and was wrong about a wine and had to come back to the table to explain and get it re-ordered.