104 East 30th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pepelanewyork.com/
- Phone: 2126581115x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 4:30pm - 4:00am,
Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Malkhaz Maisashvili
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live music
A word from Pepela
Pepela Restaurant, New York, is a fusion of modern European and traditional Georgian cuisine situated between Rosé Hill and the Flatiron District. The posh maisonette offers an area for cocktails upstairs while downstairs offers comfortable dining and entertainment. With a variety of fish, vegetable and light meat dishes, Pepela captures the palettes of even the most critical gastronomists New York produces. Sophisticated and charming, Pepela offers patrons a warm welcome and experience that is sure to bring them back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pepela reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (4)romantic (3)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Something new and differentmacnycVIPDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I visited this lovely restaurant because we were intrigued by the opportunity to try Georgian food. The setting is lovely - in an old townhouse, nicely decorated and very well-spaced tables. The service was very friendly and courteous - we wanted to try Georgian wine and they offered tastings to us before we selected our bottle. The food was plentiful and tasty, using combinations of Georgian spices and fresh ingredients. We enjoyed our experience, and plan to visit again for lunch or brunch.Special Features:
- A beautiful experienceKaybeeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Set in a charming brownstone, the restaurant and good presentation was beautiful. The service staff was very friendly and kind and the food was delicious. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced.mikeDined on 7/19/2014Veggy appetizers were interesting, special Georgian taste. Khachapuri not bad, but not really special. Very nice Georgian bread. Buglama of Salmon was very well prepared, rice and sauce were very interesting. However Kupaty and Mzvadi Ketze (pork Kebab) were mediocre, nothing special. We paid $343 for 5 people (including automatic tip) and it felt too high a price for the amount of food we got, most of which was appetizers and only 3 entrees. We had a bottle of wine too.
- Warm and welcomingWTJFRMDined on 7/3/2014We had a great experience at Pepela. Welcomed warmly, we spent over two hours luxuriating in authentic Georgian cuisine with the most wonderful service. The charming atmosphere added to the enjoyment, as we sat under the skylight on a thunderstorming evening in a quiet and pretty dining area. We would highly recommend Pepela.Special Features:
- The following 41 reviews are from the Pepela reviews archive.
- Wonderful place!!!Party1Dined on 6/11/2014I went to Pepela on Wednesday night with my friends. First of all my compliments to the ownership. The staff was very attentive and friendly. I tried Chacha drink (their specialty), love it. Also they got live music. We were dancing all night long. We are definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming...ZvladVIPDined on 4/25/2014We were very excited to eat at Pepela because we really love Georgian cuisine, but we were very unimpressed with the food. A few dishes were good, but overall it was disappointing. The decor is great, service was good and the restaurant staff was very friendly and pleasant. Unfortunately, we will not be returning any time soon.
- Just a lovely restaurant andmilenaVIPDined on 4/13/2014Just a lovely restaurant and the food is fantastic!!!Special Features:
- Horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014Got there at 8:00 main dishes were not served until 10:00. Food and service was poor.
- Pricey, but interestingfdc40Dined on 3/25/2014Without the voucher, we couldn't have afforded to eat here. And while the food was good, it wasn't good enough to justify the undiscounted cost. The meats (I had pork, my friend had lamb) were over-cooked. The sides were switched (I got the potatoes he ordered, he got the grilled veggies I ordered). And we often couldn't get the server's attention when we wanted her. The dry Georgian red wine was very good after it breathed in the glass a while. The ambience had a charming, old world quality.Special Features:
- Very good food, interestingmisstheclassicsVIPDined on 3/14/2014Very good food, interesting and unusual dishes. Decor ambiance OK, but importantly not too noisy. Entertainment was unexpected surprise, but why Spanish not Russian slant? Only two of the listed deserts were available (disappointment) and no American coffee -- only option for it was "Americano" (diluted espresso).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy dining in townhouse settingkellyVIPDined on 3/12/2014Wonderfully decorated with exquisite chandeliers and beautifully displayed bar in a townhouse situated in Murray Hill. An array of foods made for vegetarians but also includes seafood and meat dishes for the carnivore (veal, pork, chicken, beef). Also, the bar list includes an interesting variety of cocktails and wines. Service is excellently paced by Alex who is so nice and helpful with recommendations. We were fortunate to meet the owner of the restaurant. He is so kind and gracious. Even Bill Clinton ate there! Conveniently located on 30th Street between Lexington and Park Avenue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious. Upscale GeorgiandianeDined on 3/8/2014Delicious. Upscale Georgian dishes. Excellent wine/wine list from Georgia. Wait staff excellent at advising on food and wine selection.Special Features:
- Amazing Hidden Gem...JessiDined on 2/11/2014Tucked away in a Brownstone you almost don't realize to walk into the building. Upon opening the door you are pleasantly surprised by the beautiful decor. There's a bar upstairs. The ambience is sexy and cool! We were greeted immediately and taken downstairs which is so sexy. White decor with chic uplighting creates a romantic yet inviting environment. There is a stage which we learned Wed-Sun there is live music. Onto the food and drink. The Georgian food was to die for! The Eggplant roll and meat pie was awesome. Our entrees... WOW!!! A pork dish (huge portion) was so tasty and the Salmon again huge portion was fabulous! We can't wait to go back on a weekend for live music!Special Features:
- AnthonynyfoodieVIPDined on 2/9/2014the restaurant was empty at 6 p.m. I went there for the foisted gras which they told me they were out of about 20 minutes after we ordered. We were the only people in the restaurant for the first 45 minutes and we received extremely poor service. The waitress would walk by us without even asking us if we needed anything. We took our entrees to go. We have to go upstairs and ask for the check. We were completely ignored. This place is going out of business and soon. Would strongly recommend not dining here.
- Not worth going backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014You should know if you make a reservation through open table it's for the lounge area not the dining room. That was fine for us, just a little awkward to eat, but the bar scene was nice and you could still hear the live music playing. The crowd is mostly eastern European. The food is decent but not great. We finished our dinner but then had a while before our movie so we would have ordered another round of drinks...if someone had come by to ask or take an order... To be fair the waitress seemed really stressed and was running around taking care of twenty things at once. It was an ok experience but can't imagine having any desire to go back.
- Contemporary meets Old World CharmGerryLDined on 1/11/2014A wonderful dining experience is easily had at Pepela!!! Varied furnishings serve to blend hot contemporary with old world charm to provide pleasingly comfortable spaces for either dining or drinking. However, DO NOT PASS ON THE WONDERFUL MEAL SELECTIONS!!! Well prepared-, savory- & interesting takes- on what some may consider 'comfort food' are simply outstanding (e.g.- a brothy veal stew that was simply amazing!!). Would have enjoyed more exposure to the upper floors; but, attending patrons were transported to a "Barcelonia-favorite' by the trio of wonderfully talented musicians scheduled that evening. Continued success to my newly found Midtown favorite!!!Special Features:
- Fantastic findBillmDined on 1/1/2014The food here was the best I've tasted in NYC and I've lived here for 3 years. I have never eaten Georgian food before, but was really great. Will be coming back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PepelaDivit2Dined on 12/28/2013Enjoyed our visit ... food was exceptional and service very good. Hostess was very accommodating in seating us as we arrived 2 hours early for our reservation..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One-of-a-kind NYC restaurantDiscerningNYCDinersVIPDined on 12/27/2013We are so happy that OpenTable led us to experience PEPELA for the first time on Friday night -- and what a unique experience it was! While it was our first time trying Georgian food and wine, it's clear that this kitchen understands flavor. We enjoyed every single dish we ordered -- from the eggplant rolls stuffed with walnut paste and garnished with pomegranate seeds to Lobio Kotanshi (a hearty bean stew). The menu features many vegetarian and even vegan dishes, much welcomed by the increasing number of New Yorkers who are eating this way. The Georgian wines were delightful to explore -- including the unusual pepper-noted rose-style Rkatsitelli. Wonderful food and wine, sweet service, lovely ambiance...we can't wait to return!Special Features:
- the waiter forgot what we orderedhappyDined on 12/25/2013On Christmas night we dine there and ordered 2 Cold starters one Hot starters and an entrée. The restaurant had only 4 tables occupied. After 55 min I reminded the waiter that my child was hungry and we got three dishes and after 50 min we asked the waiter about the entrée and he said that we did not ordere any. All three of us were sure that we did but he was not convinced. He offer to take an order but it was too late and we left. I wish the waiter would have taken notes on our order and repeated them back to us. Otherwise we left hungry and disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different and Worth the TripsimontnycVIPDined on 12/5/2013We felt very welcome upon arrival and the sensation did not ebb for one minute during the entire meal. The food portions are ample and the food was excellent or very good all around. We enjoyed the dumplings (which were very filling) and the appetizer made from beets and the stuffed peppers. I had lamb chops which were cooked exactly as I like them (they weren't huge but since they were an entre they didn't need to be. My companion ordered a glass of the Georgian wine and this might have been the only disappointment of the evening. I ordered a Bordeaux and it was fine. The offered us complimentary shots of tarragon infused vodka after the meal and, to our surprise, it was quite tasty. I'll happily return. Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great food. Try thingsSirEatsALotDined on 12/2/2013Really great food. Try things that you are positive you wouldn't like and they will surprise youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i thought georgian was goingEater2222Dined on 12/1/2013i thought georgian was going to be southern cuisine. silly me but we were not disappointed. waitress explained everything and made great suggestions. food was different but excellent and the place is gorgeous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a Trip to GeorgiaJannVIPDined on 11/16/2013It is like being in a different country. The nightclub/restaurant setting was unexpected. On Saturday night at 9PM, most of the tables were filled. Most of the women were dressed to the nines. An eggplant appetizer was tasty. The main courses were good, mostly for the sauces--the actual Chicken & Salmon themselves were not flavorful. Lemon tart for dessert hit the right notes. The singer was using her Apple notebook for her accompaniment and it was a bit too loud, we were relieved when she took a break. We probably won't go back but it was an interesting experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFoodloverDined on 11/15/2013Went to Pepela for bday party. Really enjoyed food and atmosphere. Definitely recommend that place.Special Features:
- Simply ElegantDomingoVIPDined on 11/13/2013This was a surprisingly nice find. We loved the simply elegant white decor and the delicious Georgian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find. Very quiet, butOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/11/2013A real find. Very quiet, but interesting and well prepared Georgian cuisine and wines not found in other restaurants. Wonderful for a new adventure. Very caring and well informed staff. Without asking, they offered to have us try several wines before selecting a bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect choice...DachaDined on 10/27/2013Great food and great place.The food is delicious.Everything was perfect, appetizers was amazing.The signature chicken dish is fantastic.The staff is very attentive and friendly and made sure we had everything we needed for a wonderfull night out...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2013Dined with a friend. Was nicely surprised. Beautiful chandeliers and purple lighting gives it a club/Lounge vibe. It was a Sunday night and very quite, just 2 other tables. But I rather enjoyed that piece. Food was absolutely delicious, authentic georgian. (I am georgian and I can tell). We shared mixed appetisers (especially, loved beats with walnuts), Khachapuri ( one of the best Khachapuries I have ever tried) and Khinkali. We were served by a very nice and friendly Russian blonde waitress, who at the end of our meal gave us two shots of chacha (georgian vodka) on the house. Overall I was delighted with the experience. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to Pepela with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2013Went to Pepela with friends after work. It was my first time there.and i was SURPRISED!!! The ambience and decor of the place is really amazing. I will celebrate my next b-day there for sure!!! More than that our dinner was delicious! very friendly service. I highly recommend this restaurant, especially for the area it's a guaranteed good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but emptyAdamVIPDined on 10/7/2013I met a friend for a drink the other day at Pepela.. it's a pretty townhouse restaurant. We sat at the bar, there were only two other people there. The bartender was friendly and we had appetizers which were good, but not a place i'd recommend.
- Authentic Georgian ExperienceEatoutinnycDined on 9/26/2013The upbeat decor sets the mood for a delightful dining experience. The food our table selected with the guidance of our most agreeable waiter was delicious! We dined very early & were the only patrons until right before we left at about 7:30 pm. We're not quite sure what this says about their future or do Georgians prefer eating later in the evening! With a few photos of President Clinton & The President of Georgia hanging on the wall, one would hope that many high profile people will experience Pepela & draw in a big crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearthy food to sharepinusVIPDined on 9/5/2013This is not a restaurant for foodies or a place that will get a Michelin star for delightful tastings of small portions of food. But if you want to eat well, with large portions of well-spiced food, either in a group or with a family (portions are always served to share), and you want something out of the ordinary, this is a recommendable place. When we were there, the place was not particularly busy but my guess is that this can vary a lot, depending on whether larger groups get reservations here.Special Features:
- Beauty & the BeastMaryluDined on 8/14/2013Beautiful bar area and nice dining room. Go for drinks and appetizers and leave the main courses alone. Watch out for overly sweet Georgian wines on their wine list.
- A very pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2013We booked a table at Pepela not really knowing what to expect and ended up having one of the best all around dining experiences we've had in NY in years. The food was interesting and delicious (cannot comment as to whether it is "authentic" ), the service was gracious and warm, and the atmosphere was great. The live music when we were there was incredibly high quality: a trio playing a mix of (presumably) Georgian music, jazz standards, and even Latin music. I'm not sure if this band is there all the time or if we were just lucky, but we really enjoyed every element of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTrueNewNewYorkerVIPDined on 7/20/2013This was our 2nd time at Pepela. The food is delicious. Their signature chicken dish is absolutely fantastic. Everything hit hot and tasted amazing. The service was a bit slow, they brought out the appetizers one at a time, like individual courses. Which made for a 3 hour meal. But the hostess was gracious and the bartender was lovely. Wine was great too. Will definitely return.
- Go for Gypsy Kings tribute bandOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2013This place is right in my neighborhood so my husband and I went for dinner on a Wednesday to check the place out. It really is gorgeous inside. The Gypsy Kings tribute band was outstanding. We tried a cold appetizer plate, the Khachapuri (aka the best cheese pizza you'll ever have), and the Khinkali (aka chinese soup dumplings). The food was interesting and good. It was our first time trying Georgian cuisine and we thought it seemed like comfort-style food. I agree with the other reviewers that it was a bit over-priced. Not by NYC standards, but just for the type of food. Also we waited a solid 30-40 mins between ordering and getting our appetizers, and the server wasn't quick to refill, which is why I only gave 2 stars for service.Special Features:
- What a WonderTrueNewNewYorkerVIPDined on 6/8/2013Within this tiny, unassuming townhouse on East 30th Street exists a world of delicious Georgian cuisine (don't be scared, it's somewhere between Greek and Middle Eastern food -- delish), beautiful, romantic ambience, and the feeling that you've uncovered a secret. Great for date-night or an adventure with friends, the ambience here is what sets Pepela apart. Happy to be in on this out-of-the-way wonder.Special Features:
- Very pretty interior. EntertainmentPeggyVIPDined on 6/8/2013Very pretty interior. Entertainment included a singer half way through dinner, although the noise level increased dramatically trying to talk over her singing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sublime experience. perfectSvetlanaDined on 6/8/2013sublime experience. perfect all-around. highly recommendSpecial Features: