132 W. 31 St.
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pennsylvania6nyc.com/
- Phone: 2127273666x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30AM-4PM Monday - Friday
Brunch: 11:00AM-4PM Saturday - Sunday
Dinner: 4PM-10PM Monday - Sunday
Bar: Open Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ashley Palma
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Available
- Special Events: Featuring our First Annual Goose Island Beer Dinner, a 2 day event! Tuesday, August 13th and Wednesday, August 14th 4PM-11PM. Enjoy a 4 course Dinner with Craft Beer Pairings just $60 per person. Check out our website at www.pennsylvania6nyc.com for the menu. Book your reservation with us today.
A word from Pennsylvania 6
Pennsylvania 6, is a new restaurant that is changing the landscape of the Herald Square neighborhood. Bringing with it the feeling of Old New York and a new taste of classic American dining, Pennsylvania 6 is a 21st Century cross between the Oak Room and the Oyster Bar. (The name is a tribute to Pennsylvania 6-5000, the phone number of the nearby Pennsylvania Hotel, made famous in the song of the same name performed by the Glenn Miller Orchestra.) Born of casual American roots with a sophisticated culinary twist, boasting a raw bar stocked with the finest oysters and shellfish, and an artisanal cocktail bar, a craft beer list, and an eclectic wine list, there could be no better time for its introduction, as the neighborhood continues to evolve and the bordering NoMad neighborhood becomes a burgeoning dining destination with The Breslin, John Dory, the Ace Hotel and NoMad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Pennsylvania 6 - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Pennsylvania 6 reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (34)good for groups (29)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (21)hot spot (15)fit for foodies (13)great for brunch (12)special occasion (12)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Nice find a block from Penn StationGilWaveDined on 8/22/2014My daughter took the train in from Long Island, she wanted to eat close to Penn Station. Found this place through a New Yorker article, grabbed a reservation on Open Table and gave it a shot. Excellent service from a very knowledgable wait staff, fresh Raw Bar with a good selection of oysters (East and West Coast), shrimp, and clams. Single-page lunch menu with a simple selection of fish, pork, chicken and beef, with a very nice appetizer and pizza selection. I had the Corn Soup as a starter, it was puréed and delicious. Comfortable seats, lots of room in the restaurant and a very nice bar w/ a white marble top. A bit pricey but not out of line for mid-town places like this. Will definitely be back, for Sunday brunch or dinner next time.Special Features:
- Just a barJSMurDined on 8/6/2014Very noisy. All hard edges and tile. The food was okay but it was very difficult to enjoy the company of our table of six with the din of the room. Young crowd but do not go here to 'dine'.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationDelightedVIPDined on 8/4/2014Everyone at our party had a great evening. High energy great food and wonderful staff.Special Features:
- Burgers & RyeAlwaysVIPDined on 7/30/2014I have traveled the world and I never thought I would be able to say that I finally found the perfect burger and rye Manhattan. I rank their burger as high as I rank the steak at most top steak houses. It was perfect black and blue as requested. So flavorful that I added NO condiments. And when the waiter by accident picked up a slightly unfinished Manhattan the Manger came back with two perfect rye Manhattans on the houseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Penn 6MikeDined on 7/30/2014Great atmosphere, service and food. We were seated immediately, and the waitress was a pro and attentive. The beer was ice cold which I appreciate it.Special Features:
- VisceraleDined on 7/14/2014Stopped by with group of friends for dinner and drinks prior to a concert at MSG. Great proximity to the venue, good food, fun environment. Would definitely recommend and come again!Special Features:
- Good Place Close to the GardenPJC1Dined on 7/8/2014My wife and I had dinner here before the Michael Buble concert at the Garden. When we walked in the noise was overwhelming as the World Cup semi finals were underway. Once the game ended the screens were shut off and the noise returned to a more comfortable level. The dinner itself was great. We enjoyed the blue crab mac and cheese appertizer, a wonderfully prepared monkfish entree and a tasty almond cheese cake for dessert. The delightful and cheery service provided by our waitress added to the entire experience. We will definitely go there again when we return to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Not what we wantedKathyRDined on 7/8/2014Not extacly a quiet meal, my husband was sitting right next to me and we could not hear each other.Special Features:
- Taking in out clientslovefoodDined on 7/8/2014I took out a very special group of people to this restaurant and they totally enjoyed the atmosphere and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Very disappointing to noisy, service was good and food was ok ... But impossible to speak witch each other .. Won't go backSpecial Features:
- Great business lunchCdadDined on 6/25/2014My go-to spot for a business lunch. Great service with a menu that is always freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Billy Joel DinnerRUSHFan0612VIPDined on 6/21/2014As stated in the title, we came here for the first time before the Billy Joel concert on Sat. June 21. We did not know what to expect as for once I hadn't looked at the menu prior to coming to the restaurant. We came for shared appetizers, as we did not want to have a big full meal having to go and enjoy a concert afterwards, which was totally fine for us. So we did not experience the full menu, but can maybe do so on a future visit. The service was really good as the main server along with anyone else helping out was very attentive to our needs. The one thing that will not say that I was not impressed with their drinks at all...my martini was lousy & the specialty drink that I tried was too sweet and tasted crappy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre concert dinner and drinksLIFoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our group of 8 decided to meet here for dinner prior to a concert still MSG. This turned our to be a good find in the area with good food, nice selection of beers, pleasant staff and nicely decorated sort of upscale sports bar. We will definitely consider going back when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Food & Drink SelectionseMaxVIPDined on 6/18/2014We usually go to Penn 6 for work related activities, either a team lunch or dinner, or a after work drinks and apps. Overall, the large restaurant, and great location near penn station makes this place a great choice. Food is very good quality, and service is typically very solid. A good departure from the typical lame places around Penn Station.Special Features:
- Upscale Hot spot near MSGRun2eatVIPDined on 6/17/2014Just down the street from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station in NYC, Penn 6 had good food and drink. We had drink coupons which made the bill more reasonable, I found the food and drink prices high. The food was good and the service was excellent for our sit down dinner. The bar was quite crowded with the World Cup on, I suspect that any sports event especially one at MSG would create a crowd at Penn 6.Special Features:
- Great place to watch the world cupDanADined on 6/16/2014Penn 6 was a perfect place to watch the USA world cup game. awesome TV's (although it would be great if the big screen tv did not shake), nice selection of beers, fun energy at the bar and the pizzas were delicious. we were a work group and it was a perfect way to mix business with pleasure. i have been to Penn 6 a bunch of times and it is always a great place to have good food and drinks in a cool atmosphere while watching a game.Special Features:
- Great ServicePrometheus478Dined on 6/12/2014The service and the food were good. We enjoyed the lamb entree and the mussels appetizer. I would consider going back for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Sports Bar with StyleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014This is a great place. The food is well prepared and the menu interesting. it is a sports bar, but without the extreme noise. The patrons are sophisticated, but are also enthusiastic. It is our go-to before and after the Rangers gamesSpecial Features:
- Great for Before Games at Garden!NancyWestchesterDined on 5/25/2014The food was good. Varied, sports bar menu with lots of good choices. Wood paneling gives restaurant an upscale sports bar feel and there are many large screen tvs! Perfect for before a game!!Special Features:
- Business Lunch choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/2014One of the few good spots in the area for a business lunch. Food is good. Flatbreads are outstanding. Would prefer more salads and lunch choices on the menu.Special Features:
- AmazingMeleatsDined on 5/17/2014We were so impressed with how great everything was at Pennsylvania 6. The service was beyond professional and exceeded every level of excellence. The food was hands down one of the best I've had. The menu offers a little bit of everything and it is one of a kind. Each dish was cooked perfectly from the Blue Crab Mac and Cheese to the center cut and the beer braised short ribs, we were beyond impressed. The highlight of the whole night was the AMAZING dessert. The warm chocolate tart was to die for and so worth it. I will most definitely be returning to try out their lunch and brunch menu. Please do yourself a favor and try this place!Special Features:
- Perfect Mother's Day!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014We have a very picky family so holiday meals can be tough. This Mother's Day, everyone was extremely happy with their food, the noise level and that we had space to breath!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014they took care of us. My friends and i liked your restaurant. unfortunately there was problem with one of the dishes. You and your staff handled it as best as they could have. There was nothing else you could have done. I appreciate it! Hope to see you again soon.Special Features:
- Great serviceHOllywoodDined on 5/5/2014Smiling helpful interested in making our meal enjoyable. All that one can ask from any restaurant and in particular one around the MSGI would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to the taskRed1VIPDined on 5/5/2014Dined here before a New York Rangers playoff hockey game; restaurant is less then one block from Madison Square Garden. The atmosphere here is good, with an upscale seating area combined with a sports bar from the multiple televisions over the bar. Unfortunately, they were not up to the task of getting us out within an hour to catch the game. The servers were very nice, but apparently they have some problems in the kitchen and / or were overwhelmed with such a crowd on a Monday night.
- The following 164 reviews are from the Pennsylvania 6 reviews archive.
- I Love New YorkLongIslanGirl1Dined on 4/30/2014I was looking for a spot to meet with friends before a Rangers game at MSG and came across Pennsylvania 6 on line. Great neighborhood find! Our reservation was honored promptly, drinks were fabulous and the light bites we ordered were delish! Food was slow to arrive, but worth the wait. I will definitely return when in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great client work lunch placered2001Dined on 4/30/2014my client and i were able to have a great lunch without having to scream at each other over the other patrons in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond loudOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/23/2014At 6:30 the noise level was so loud as there are no absorbing acoustics for sound. Very difficult to talk to friends.Special Features:
- Classy for "Close to Penn Station"OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/22/2014This is a nice after work or lunch place for people not looking for a dive in this area. Pricey, but very convenient and close to Penn Station.Special Features:
- Very Nice PlacefoodloverDined on 4/22/2014Could not tell from the outside, but this place is very nice on the inside. Food was tasty, and service was pretty good.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunchacclark1VIPDined on 4/13/2014As the location is close to Penn Station and had a friend in for the weekend heading home we stopped in to catch brunch - Arrived a little after 11:00am only to find out that they did not open till 11:30am - but were more than accommodating by allowing us to sit at the bar while they continued setting up and served us a beverage while we waited - were seated at 11:25 - and had a fantastic brunch - service was top notch and the food was great - had the blue crab mac & cheese (a must) and the smoked salmon omelet - both outstanding - will be back soon for more of the mac & cheese!!!!Special Features:
- A sports bar that's upped its gameMisterKDined on 4/11/2014In an area that is hard up for dining choices, Pennsylvania 6 is a stand out. While not exactly a dining destination itself, it's your best bet if you need to eat while near Madison Square Garden and Penn Station. The room is spacious, the red seating gives a visual boost to what is essentially an upscale sports bar. Service is friendly, competent and unharried. Food is definitely several notches above a typical sports themed restaurant and the burger made with 40% dry aged sirloin is well worth its price. Their beer and wine selection is also a cut above what might be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightJudyDined on 4/9/2014We were recommended to try this restaurant on our first visit to New York we had a really lovely evening with wonderful menu choices especially the fish, fantastic food,service and wine and everyone there was very welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentGeomanVIPDined on 4/8/2014Had yet another wonderful experience at Penn 6 . This time we got in early and had some oysters and a cocktail at the bar , great bartenders and prompt courteous service, unlike many NYC establishments . The restaurant fills up quickly for good reason : the food and service are excellent ! Great value for the price points , friendly vibe , always a pleasure to visit !Special Features:
- Food was really good, maybepurefastmoodsDined on 4/6/2014Food was really good, maybe a little pricey. But our server was very attentive and accommodating, especially because I have a dairy allergy. The cooks were also very accommodating with that. My mom ordered the best salad with no cheese and the waitress asked if she wanted her to add some greens (I guess the salad was just beets and cheese) at no extra cost, so that was nice. The only problem I had were the tv's that are in the restaurant. There was one giant tv made out of 9 screens at the bar and then two tv's by our seats in the restaurant and I found them a little distracting. Otherwise this place was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A convenient stopOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/4/2014When attending an event at MSG, this is a conveniently located good place to dine/have drinks before and after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option for dining near MSGDsportsnutDined on 4/4/2014Service was outstanding, food was very, very good. The place is a bit noisy, but that's the energy flowing from the bar area. I go to many events at the Garden, but this was the 1st time I had been here and my best recommendation is that I will definitely return. Proximity, food & service all made this a place that is a great option if you want to dine & drink nicely before a game or concert.Special Features:
- Pre-gameAnitaDined on 3/23/2014Had a pre-game meal here before going to MSG. It was excellent! The Beer-braised short ribs were divine and the Crab macaroni & cheese was fantastic. Excellent service that even catered to my 7-yr-old. The only shortcoming was the flat bread was too salty. Overall, a great place to watch a game AND to grab a nice meal before a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and underwhelmingJane13VIPDined on 3/23/2014I went to Pennsylvania 6 with a friend for brunch recently, and I ordered the frittata. I was pretty hungry but figured that the frittata would be sufficient, assuming that for $15.00 it would at least come with a side of greens or some fruit. Wrong. It was served without even a slice of toast or a single garnish. We received no bread for the table, so I considered ordering a side, but by them time our server came back, I had finished most of my meal out of sheer hunger. The flavor of the frittata lacked seasoning, and it was over cooked on the edges and runny on the inside. Also, there was a piece of a plastic bag baked into the eggs. Not so appetizing.
- fine for business lunchBeneDined on 3/19/2014this place was fine for a business lunch. my main complaint is that as a vegetarian they bought me the brussle sprouts with bacon on them (I asked for no bacon), and having been a vegetarian for 20 years, I didn't recognize the taste! I think they could have done more to make up for that. It was an innocent mistake but still.