114 S. 12th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pennsylvania6philly.com/
- Phone: 2676395606x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation:
Sat & Sun: 11:30am-2:00am
Mon & Tues: 4:00pm-10:00pm
Sat & Sun: 11:30am-10:00pm
Late Night Menu:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marc Plessis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Pennsylvania 6
Pennsylvania 6 (PE6) brings Contemporary American Cuisine and Raw Bar to Center City’s Midtown Village. Located at 114 South 12th Street, guests dine in a post-prohibition style restaurant featuring dark wooden accents, plush-red banquet seating, white marble-topped tables and bar with extensive beer and cocktail list. Executive Chef Mark Plessis, designs contemporary American dishes with specialties including Daily Fresh East and West Coast Oysters, Skillet Fried Shishito Peppers and Roasted Bone Marrow, with garlic-herb crust and red onion jam and a “luge” option – two ounces of Woodford Reserve to drink as it is poured down the hollowed bone. Pennsylvania 6 provides both great food and great cocktails in a lively, inviting atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pennsylvania 6 reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)vibrant bar scene (31)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (26)hot spot (23)special occasion (13)romantic (6)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Walked by previously and loved the look of the restaurant and after reading reviews online decided to try it. The food was great and unique and the server was attentive but not overbearing and very helpful in deciding what to try. The Tuna, Crab Cocktail and bone marrow were fantastic. The Ricotta is also a must have.Special Features:
- Great dinner!SusanDined on 9/20/2014Had a great dinner at Pennsylvania 6. Ended up eating at the bar. Justin and Jonathan the Bartenders took excellent care of us. The food and service was very good. We had a variety of the appetizers for dinner. They were very tasty and a little different than standard menus.Special Features:
- good food, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed the oysters, lobster roll, wings - fun atmosphere and good food. Service was poor. We waited 35+ minutes for our first course (cold soup and oysters). 30 seconds after asking the waitress about our food, it was brought to our table. The same thing happened with the second course, dessert, etc. 20 minutes would go by, we'd inquire, and then instantly our food would arrive. It was clear the food was ready, but the waitress wasn't bringing it. The manager took off our bar tab from the check, but he was defensive and condescending, saying next time "we'll get your food out quickly." The waitress said "sorry the food wasn't timed the way you wanted it." Evidently it was our fault for wanting our cold soup in less than 30 min.Special Features:
- Love it!FastRoadieDined on 9/13/2014We are never disappointed! We have been here several times and the food is always so creative and delicious. Service was outstanding, we will be back..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, dark n loudTsogoodDined on 9/12/2014Most important thing is how good the food is, but the ambience needs some work. Turn the friggin lights up a bit I could barely seeSpecial Features:
- Love12Dined on 9/12/2014The menu sounded delicious and unique but at the end it was not very satisfying. The portion were small and didn't have enough flavor, the vegetables on my chicken dish could have been seasoned more. We ordered the crudo sampler for $18 which the waiter said was enough for 3 people. It is not! I don't mind small appetizer but if I am told its big enough to share I shouldn't have to dissect 2 less than 1x1 inch pieces of fish for 3 people. It made the whole experience feel overpriced. I would go back for drinks because the ambiance is great but not for dinner.
- Excellent dinner!dineoftenVIPDined on 9/6/2014Every course (soup, salads, appetizers, entree, dessert) was superb. Very personable waiter. Somewhat noisy with a loud party of 6 near us and no fixtures (cloth window treatments, etc) to attenuate the noise. Regardless, we've recommended it to foodie-friends for the excellent tastes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findDTDCDined on 9/5/2014Loved the vibe of the place! Food was great and an interesting menu selection. Awesome raw bar. Wine was very reasonably priced and a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the showVafromNJDined on 8/17/2014We went to PA 6 after seeing the Book of Mormon and it was empty. Given the close proximity to the theater we expected a full restaurant. Server was super cute but sort of forgetful. Food was yummy but s little small. Not planning a return visit.Special Features:
- Great experience.KTMCVVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had a lovely meal. I ordered the tuna and it was amazing. Appetizers were fit for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WimmieVIPDined on 8/11/2014This is just a ver fun neighborhood place to enjoy. It is a little expensive bur consistently fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so muchIrishMikeDined on 8/11/2014We visited this restaurant for the first time although I had been to the address several times before with previous failed restaurants. We were attending a show at the Kimmel Center that evening and informed the waitress of this when we first sat down. The waitress was great and the food arrived in plenty of time, in fact we had time enough for dessert. We shared the ricotta appetizer which was very good. My wife ordered a steak well done that she did not enjoy and I had Cobia, which I have not tried before. The fish portion was fairly small. I enjoyed the sauce but the fish itself was just ok. For dessert, the wife had a lemon cake (ok) topped with Pistachio gelato and I had just the gelato which did not have much taste at all.
- Great food, sleek atmosphereDisappointedDined on 8/6/2014Came here on a Wednesday during Center City Sips and the bar was PACKED! Fortunately, the hostess seated our party of 4 in the upstairs room, which was much quieter and decorated with black and white photos of old Hollywood celebrities. We started with a delightful crudo sampler, the stand-out star of the meal. Entrees were delicious all around and the wait staff was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- dancingmomVIPDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent. Service however deserves much improvement. Clear differences between the servers. Requested a quiet table and ended up being seated next to a large loud group in an empty restaurant. When asked to be reseated were told that everything is reserved! In reality, we also had a reservation!!! This ended up spoiling our evening :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumJohnGarlandDined on 7/31/2014In town for a conference. Big hit with everyone in my partySpecial Features:
- on the way to the theatreSurpriselunchDined on 7/30/2014We had a special night -- The Book of Mormon at the Forrest. This was our first time at the restaurant and it was a great choice. Good service, on time, cooked properly as ordered, the manager stopped by twice to check in and the food was very good and just unusual as to be really specil.Special Features:
- Solid dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Went there on a Saturday night and had a very good dinner. The raw bar was delicious, as were the lobster roll and the pork shoulder. The special pork cheek was outstanding. It was very quiet for a Saturday night - hope it was just that people were on the shore. Server was a bit forgetful, but quickly fixed a couple of minor mistakes. This is not going to compete with the high level gourmet places, but it was a very good meal in a pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeLM55VIPDined on 7/19/2014I have been to Pennsylvania six on several occasions now with different groups of friends. Have tried something new on the menu almost every time and always been impressed. Can never go wrong with the oysters and duck. Service is always excellent, extremely friendly, and very knowledgeable about the menu. My only surprise is that it's not more crowded/harder to get a table at this place considering how good it isSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What the Hell Happened!!!ThomBVIPDined on 7/18/2014This is the third incarnation of this space . They all start out good 6 months later who knows what. Down the tubes.Shame in a great neighborhood , someone help.
- Excellent food! A great time.LaRagazzaGiallaVIPDined on 7/13/2014First time trying PA6. The food was amazing. We ordered a lot between the two of us to get a taste or a lot of different things. Definitely had plenty of left overs. The crudo sampler was superb! Next time I want to order one to myself. No sharing! :) The pork collar was ridiculously good. So tender and flavorful and went great with the grits and collard greens. My husband had the burger and honestly felt it was the best burger he's had in the city. And we've eaten a lot of burgers in this city. Accompanying truffle fries were also delicious. The service was very prompt and friendly and attentive. I cannot wait to go back. Awesome decor as well. Beautiful bar.Special Features:
- Deliciousmle987VIPDined on 6/27/2014Branched out and got the burger - great choice! Cooked perfectly and really enjoyed the pickled red onion which contrasted the bacon's smoky flavorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but noisySakselrodDined on 6/21/2014If you go, avoid Saturday nights. We were seated upstairs and in the back, but the noise level was still shout-over-your-food-worthy. Service was fantastic. Our waiter, Evan, went above and beyond for our little group. Food was lovely. We will definitely be back, just not on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousmle987VIPDined on 6/13/2014Eventually I will branch out, but the mushroom toasty is always really tasty!Special Features:
- WimmieVIPDined on 6/10/2014This place is a lot of fun. We bring others here all the time for a fun and good meal. This is a great addition to the neighborhood.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentfrancesVIPDined on 6/6/2014this place has an awesome vibe, and if you like raw seafood, t's AMAZING. Their ham and cheese pimento spread was to die for, and the deserts blew us away. Great restaurant if you like oysters, crudo, and ceviche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vidaVIPDined on 6/6/2014Great time as always! Food was excellent and love the bubbly selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chill out at raw barfoodtravelerDined on 6/6/2014Noise level is very, very high - sit upstairs. But, that's to be expected because downstairs the floor is packed with people enjoying a great beer and oyster selection. Service is extremely slow - we had 5:45 reservations for an 8 p.m. show on a Friday, and almost missed the first act. But the food was worth the wait. Recommend it if you are not in a hurry, or just want the raw bar and a drink.Special Features:
- The following 173 reviews are from the Pennsylvania 6 reviews archive.
- Can't do both...JoanDined on 6/3/2014There was a large event at the restaurant when we were there and the speed of service suffered. Our food was very good, once we got it and our desserts were comped, but on a weekday night special occasion dinner, our time was more valuable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- jolly good timeLM55VIPDined on 5/23/2014everything on the menu was excellent. bone marrow and oysters are a must. great place for drinks also. highly recommend.Special Features:
- Different Menu but Excellent!MelissaDined on 5/17/2014The food choices were a bit eclectic - but the food was excellent. Great wine and beer list.Special Features:
- Love this placeDECoasterNerdDined on 5/17/2014Have been here twice now. The menu is very creative, a sort of hybrid of French and Southern cuisine. Everyone enjoyed their meal immensely. Also, try the specialty cocktails. We each tried several and enjoyed them all!Special Features:
- Mother's Dayjmichael79Dined on 5/11/2014Pennsylvania 6 was a great choice for Mother's Day brunch. Atmosphere was wonderful, service was outstanding and both mom and grandmom were given flowers from the staff. Oysters were outstanding.Special Features:
- Really slow kitchenMainLineMikeVIPDined on 5/5/2014Went here for dinner before theater. Server was very friendly. Food was great -- especially the raw bar assortment. My wife had the open-face mushroom sandwich which was so crusty it was difficult to eat. Biggest problem with the place is that with a practically empty restaurant, the kitchen took forever to get food out to us. Won't be going back.
- A great experienceCathiVIPDined on 5/4/2014My friend and I were looking for a place nearby the Forrest Theater for a pre-show dinner. Pennsylvania 6 did not disappoint. We didn't have a cocktail although the options looked intriguing. Will definitely try one next time. We opted for the white bean dip served in a mason jar with crostini. It was a great take on hummus. Since I had heard so much about the duck fat frites, I opted for the lobster roll since the fries were included. The fries were even better than I expected and the lobster roll was chock full of sweet, tender lobster chunks. My friend ordered the pork collar which she loved. I tried a bite and pork and the grits were full of flavor. Our next visit will definitely be soon.Special Features:
- What did you say?KenPDined on 4/24/2014We enjoyed our food and would probably return if I was in the neighborhood. If I was looking for a great bar scene I would certainly go back. However to eat with a companion, it was too noisy. Maybe a better lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WimmieVIPDined on 4/11/2014A fun place to walk in to and have a great fun meal with lots of sea food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014This place was the perfect find for some hungry conference-goers. The service was excellent, the food was delicious, and the house wine fit the bill. We had a great time and would highly recommend this place to others looking for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Train @ This Station Was On Timedasco13Dined on 4/1/2014The name and decor are a little confusing but the food was on time. My wife has octopus wherever she finds it and she proclaimed the grilled octopus with fingerling potatoes one of the best. Her lobster roll was standard fare but loaded with lobster. As advertised the accompanying fries were great. My pork collar was decadent and took me straight to the South. Served with creamy/cheesy grits and collard greens and a rich gravy. I could hear my heart screaming NO! But that didn't stop me. Excellent! The chocolate pot au creme with vanilla gelato and crushed macadamia nuts was a delicious end to a wonderful meal. All aboard!Special Features:
- Read Good Things; Didn't Disappointnocurse2004Dined on 3/29/2014Very professional and attentive wait staff. Food was memorable, especially the lobster roll and the dandelion and beet salads. Great place to go before/after the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointsGTicemanDined on 3/23/2014Took a newbie and she loved it. Not cheap but worth every penny. Excellent service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.