The Inn at Penn
3611 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pennerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2158236222x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Eileen Watkin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Penne offers a private dining room accommodating up to 16 guests. Tailored menus and accommodations available for group lunches, dinners, corporate events or special occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Kelly Delaney 2158236222x2119
A word from Penne Restaurant
Penne is a modern Italian restaurant with an emphasis on fresh, handmade pastas that are served in a fun, stylish dining room. An extensive wine program, featuring selections by the glass or flight, compliments the outstanding bar menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Penne Restaurant - Best Restaurants in University City ›
Penne Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (9)great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (5)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good food, non-attentive servicewineoitalianoDined on 9/10/2014I enjoyed the pasta and dessert I had at Penne. The wine list was excellent and offered a wide range of options. The service was average at best. We would have ordered more wine, but our server rarely checked on us.Special Features:
- Never disappointsBobetteVIPDined on 9/7/2014We love Penne. We're never disappointed since the food is consistently good. We split the roasted beet salad and for entrees my husband had a flatbread margarita pizza with prosciutto on it. I had gluten free penne pasta alla a'matriciana (sp?) where fresh tomatoes where used. Delish! The bar is a gem. Loved Mike the bartender. He was terrific.Special Features:
- Two lousy meals in a rowinfreqDinerDined on 8/14/2014I had a poor dinner there a few months ago and was really surprised (because even as recently as 5 yrs ago, the dinner experience was fine). I held off writing a negative review until I tried the lunch experience recently (had never had a bad lunch there previously). Even though there were at most two tables of patrons, it still took 30 minutes for a Caesar salad and a Burger plate to arrive! Submediocre bread was served with no butter. I'm never going back.
- It was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The bread was grocery store bread. The steak was very greasy and the portions were far too small for the price. My server didn't seem to want to be there. Regardless, I really liked the salad that came with the steak.
- Nice University Area ResturantDrFelGoodDined on 8/9/2014It was a pleasant surprise to see a upscale restaurant in the middle of a university setting. The food was great, the service even better. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice for UPENN areaschlepperDined on 8/7/2014We were a large group on a slow night at the restaurant. Lots of good choices here. The food itself was quite decent. The only problem was slow production by the kitchen, or perhaps it was understaffing in the dining room.Special Features:
- Good FoodKayaDined on 7/26/2014I meant up with my bestie here on a Saturday night and there were hardly any tables filled; I thought it was because of the food! The food and the service though was great. Being that UPenn and Drexel are on summer vacation, I anticipate the crowds start to pour in at the end of summer.Special Features:
- Not impressedDanaDined on 7/17/2014The soft shell crab appetizer was good, but my entrée, grilled bronzino with couscous salad, was tasteless and bland. The food was average at best. Our server, however, was very sweet and extremely attentive. What really blew me away was that the restaurant had the nerve to charge $48 for a screw off bottle of wine (there was nothing less expensive). I would not return.
- AnnaVIPDined on 6/25/2014Never had a bad meal at Penne. The sweet potato ravioli, which is seasonal, still lingers in my memory. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home made pasta heaven!MARYANNEVIPDined on 5/29/2014The home made pasta is a must at this restaurant! We go to Penne for special luncheons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 437 reviews are from the Penne Restaurant reviews archive.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014My boyfriend and I also make reservations at Penne for all our intimate special occasions...birthdays and etc. we usually sit at the bar area in a booth. Both servers there are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2014Perfect menu and location for University of Pennsylvania graduation. Something for everyoneSpecial Features:
- Should be so much better!LeeDVIPDined on 5/18/2014On Penn's graduation weekend, the restaurant should have been packed. It was empty and easy to see why. The food is mediocre at best. Why is it so hard to find a decent chef? A missed opportunity in a great location!
- Very unorganizedMindy603Dined on 4/20/2014Went for brunch.was seated waited for 10 minutes for waiter to take drink order. The restaurant was not busy at all for Easter. Finally took our order 10 minutes after drink order. 20 minutes into that fire alarm goes off.not holding this against them.things happen we had to evacuate, went back in after 15 minutes.not once did a waiter or manager come over to ask if we would like our coffe warmed back up.finally 40 minutes after we came back in our food has arrived.my family got hot dishes mine was smoked salmon.how can you mess that up.bagel and cream cheese was not delivered had to ask for that.still waiting my family finishes their meal.bagel still not at table.finally comes.was afraid to ask for the egg and spinach that was missing.
- Easter BrunchBrunchDined on 4/20/2014Having had dinner at this restaurant before, I was anticipating a good time. The service was extremely slow and when the food finally arrived, it was cold. While I was there, there was a fire alarm and the restaurant had to be evacuated. I don't blame the restaurant for the fire alarm but I feel that the meal should have been hot when it was served.Special Features:
- Look ElsewhereUCityResidentDined on 4/19/2014Food was OK. I had the Lobster Risotto. It wasn't very exciting. The portion was quite small and expensive. The dish was a small bit of risotto with a very small piece of lobster on top. The risotto wasn't flavored, nor did it contain any pieces of lobster mixed in. My guests also were disappointed with the food they received. Basically, it is a hotel restaurant. In University City, there are far better options for dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014The staff is wonderful--with excellent greetings and attention to detail with service. The food is not good. The staff should be complimented by the food, location, atmosphere, and setting & vice versa. For pasta that is homemade and made onsite--which is very special, the food and menu must improve.Special Features:
- Decent FoodLouiseNVIPDined on 4/4/2014Decent food but a little over-priced. Service can be a bit inconsistent. Great for a pre-Annenberg performance dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Penne is an ideal spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2014Penne is an ideal spot for entertaining visitors to the University. The food is consistently excellent and the service is friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodJanetSDined on 3/15/2014You can always count on Penne for a good meal -- and a good deal. The pre-theatre menus include some delicious choices and are an excellent value for the price. On Saturday night, we enjoyed the arugula salad, salmon and chocolate panna cotta. Wonderful!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is much improved sinceLouiseNVIPDined on 3/8/2014Food is much improved since previous visits but remains over priced.
- This a very good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/6/2014This a very good restaurant for the price. I especially like its pre theater meals, which are great values.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2014The theater menu was a good deal for $30. Open kitchen concept was also nice.
- wine problemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2014Penne has an excellent wine list. We ordered a lovely white from northern Italy. But, alas it arrived at the table tepid. Please chill your white wines better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not wow'edBigDogDined on 2/17/2014I had a good dinner with a business visitor. Caesar salad was tasty. My lobster risotto was a bit on the bland side. Our waiter was mostly attentive. I suppose I would come back, but my overall experience was OK. I don't have an urge to return anytime soon though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PortionFamilyVIPDined on 2/16/2014Only 3 scallops is way to small a portion for the price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayMarcusDined on 2/14/2014The sweet potato ravioli is excellent and I highly recommend it. Wine selection is fair. Wait staff were excellent and friendly. Ambience can be noisy since mostly Penn students go there. Overall it is a good place for a descent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Valentine's dayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I went here with my girlfriend for valentine's day and we had a great time. The food was very good, i recommend the scallops, and in general we were both really happy with our meal. We were seated a little bit close to another couple (maybe they were trying to maximize the number of seats for Valentine's day?) but they were not loud. Our waiter was attentive. I would recommend this place in University City for a nice dining experience away from the center city scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meeting place.CityDocDined on 2/12/2014Goof everyday food in reasonable portion sizes. Not fancy but a good place to meet with friends or do some business. They also have a nice bar for drinks.Special Features:
- Great HostessKiethVIPDined on 2/5/2014We were at a business meeting and we were very impressed with the hostess lady - I believe she has been there for a long time. She took care of my business partner so well, we will be back definitely. Their service is perfect for successful business meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!CiCiDined on 1/26/2014Service was very attentive. Food was great- from the gnocchi, salmon, salad and dessert! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Horrible ServiceRobMDined on 1/21/2014My wife and I had dinner recently at Penne. It was our 2nd time there and since both experiences were similar I decided I should voice my concerns. While the food has generally been delicious, the service was about as bad as I've ever experienced at a somewhat upscale restaurant. In both cases, our waiter regularly disappeared and was nowhere to be found. In the most recent instance, our waiter brought us a dessert menu and then did not return for 25 minutes (I clocked it). I actually had to ask another server to just get our check so we could leave, we decided to not even get dessert. I really think good service is a dying breed and despite wonderful food I will not be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Poor service, good foodRedbegoniaDined on 1/18/2014We waited 35-40 minutes for our food after telling our waiter we had to leave for a concert at Annenberg. That gave us about 12 minutes to eat what seemed like a very good meal. This place is seriously understaffed. "Greeter" at door never looked up from her computer. The upholstery at our booth was so broken down that the table was too high. Low seating and high table was quite uncomfortable. Food is good at Penne, but the service is seriously off. We were not given a wine list and had to ask for menus, wine list, food to be delivered etc. we will not go back.
- Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/16/2014The pre-theater dinner is a super great value. Recommend it highlyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Refuge after a snowy eveningBillDined on 12/14/2013We were in town for the Army-Navy game and because of the weather decided to dine in close proximity to the Hilton. This was perfect. The service was great and staff was very accommodating by splitting salads, entries and even appetizers. The oysters were tender and juicy and the beet salad was fresh and tasty. We also enjoy a wonderful bottle of cab with our dinner. I good ending to a snowy evening. I would highly recommend the Penne Restaurant to anyone staying in the Penn area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Quick to TellpetelabVIPDined on 12/13/2013Made a very quick visit here before a performance across the street at the Annenberg Center. We only had an hour, so it was really hard to judge what a true experience with this restaurant would be. The food we had (Pappardelle with short rib ragu for me, Margharita flatbread for my companion) was very good, but the service was pretty indifferent, efficient, and rushed - to be expected with them knowing we only had a short amount of time. We'll return sometime to get a more accurate impression.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Penne RestaurantbdaygirlDined on 12/13/2013Penne is a great choice for pre-Annenburg events, or if you want a more upscale dining choice on the Penn campus. Atmosphere is very nice; appetizer and entree selections are fair to very good. The pre-theater 3 course meal is a good value, especially the salmon. The mushroom and goat cheese pasta appetizer is excellent, and can be ordered as an entree. Not so the rigatoni with house-made sausage, which was swimming in oil and had extremely undercooked (hard):pieces of squash. My server was indifferent; his remark when I showed him the excess oil was "Oil is good for you"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable but priceyPoetguyDined on 12/13/2013Penne is a roomy, comfortable spot for good Italian food and housemade pasta with interesting, seasonal flare (I had rigatoni w/ flash-fried butternut squash and broccoli rabe.) Food is generally undersalted, which seems to be the current trend, but easily remedied by the diner. My firiend complained of size of his entree, also rigatoni, which was not much larger than my appetizer. (Perhaps the size was due to his entree being on the prix fixe menu?) The general consensus at our table was positive, though I flinched at the wine-by-the-glass prices ($9-$15!). Our server was friendly, but a bit flakey, and disappeared when we needed our check, although another server deftly interceded and prepared separate checks for our party of 4.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually better because thereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/12/2013Usually better because there was a shortage of wait service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dinners were terrific--havingelaineDined on 12/7/2013Our dinners were terrific--having a few appetizers in lieu of a main dish was a good choice. We really enjoyed our visit.Special Features: