1837 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.penangusa.com/
- Phone: 2028228773
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Thurdsay 11.30 am -11.00 pm. Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Penang
A long modern bar awaits you as you enter this location. The total concept and design of this location is innovative and yet comfortable. Soft glowing light illuminates a large "copper pipe" wall light installation near the reception area. The lounge area, located in front of the bar, is furnished with plush comfortable sofas and seats. Rich warm colors and intimate soft lighting adds an elegant feel to the main dining room - making it the perfect dining experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Penang reviews from OpenTable diners
- The menu is extensive andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/2/2010The menu is extensive and the food is absolutely fantastic. It's one of my favorites but sadly the service has really deteriorated in the last few months. I recommend not selecting one of their last reservations of the night as they've started closing earlier and will rush you.Special Features:
- I don't recommend their foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2010I don't recommend their food at all. We ordered pork with mix vegetable, which our server recommended; however, it was so greasey, too much sauce, too salty, and meat was hard. We should at least have ordered sauce on the side. In addition, our server forgot one of the entree. By the time we figured out that, we recognized the food quality of the restaurant, so we didn't even mention about it. We just made sure we didn't get charged for that forgotten entree, and left the restaurant, saying to each other we will never come back.
- The restaurant could use fromAbhiDined on 11/13/2010The restaurant could use from a bit of organization. We were in the smaller room off to the left of the entrance. While on server took orders from all 5 tables, the busboys bringing in the food weren't told which table to put the food at and kept getting confused. The food itself was fantastic. We had the Roti Canai which we knew would be great. Then we decided to experiment with the "Lamb Chops All Seasons" which was excellent considering most places don't do a good job with lamb chops.We also got a pork dish with pineapple which actually came in a half-pineapple shell which was also amazing. Go for the food, but be patient with service.Special Features:
- I didn't know what to expectSarahCDined on 11/12/2010I didn't know what to expect as this was my first visit to Penang but it seemed almost like we were a nuisance instead of welcomed patrons. My co-worker and I were dressed business casual. There were no introductions of servers, no salutations, in fact after we'd been looking at the menu for a few minutes someone came up and said, do you know what you want? The service would probably keep me away. In fact when we were leaving, a different server, walked right in front of us and didn't say excuse me sa I tried to get out of her way. Big disappointment. The food was good, pleasing to the palate and the presentation was interesting. Would consider ordering 'to go' from there.Special Features:
- This was my second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2010This was my second time at Penang and I would definitely go back. Service is prompt and the food is great! I also like the ambiance--it's a nicely decorated place with a nice bar/lounge area when you walk in. I definitely recommend the popular curry chicken sauce with rota appetizer.Special Features:
- I had an 8pm reservation butOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/5/2010I had an 8pm reservation but was not seated until 8:30pm. I was seated at a table intended for 2 but we were 3. The waitress struggled with her communication skills. The food was good but wished the staff was better able to communicate from the host to server & busboy. Rice does not come with meals but instead is a la carte.
- Much better experience thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/4/2010Much better experience this time. Good food, fast service and variety. The variety was overwhelming. A new menu with all the appetizers on wage would be better, because the menu was a little confusing. Otherwise, I had Mee Goreng noodles, which is my favorite dish - not the best I have ever had, but pretty good. No complaints, except that I hate when asian restaurants charge for rice on the side. It is impossible to eat a curry dish without rice. They should either raise the price and include the rice, or make the rice free. $2 for a cup of rice is just silly.
- The food was over priced andSadSaxVIPDined on 11/2/2010The food was over priced and not that great I will not be returning to this restaurant again.
- The lunch specials are plentiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2010The lunch specials are plentiful. It was served so quickly, I had time to linger over the meal and still get back to work within an hour. The food is high quality.Special Features:
- The food was sooo good. IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2010The food was sooo good. I loved the tofu mango. I'll be back.Special Features:
- The roti cani appetizer isOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2010The roti cani appetizer is really good. There is a chicken stew dipping sauce and a nani like crispy pancake you dip into it. Very tasty. The Pineapple Rice was also very good.
- bar/restaurant appears trendyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2010bar/restaurant appears trendy and stylish but food reviews were mixed in our party of three. i stuck to the specialties and was very happy but the other two ordered their personal faves and were not overly impressed.Special Features:
- A nice place with a very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2010A nice place with a very nice selection of ethnic foods, the price is a little high for the type of food they sell, but I am a repeat customer nonetheless. This last visit, it was a little chilly inside the building. The service is good but a little slow. Be prepared to enjoy the atmosphere just a little longer than you might usually.
- Meh, I won't be going back.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/20/2010Meh, I won't be going back. It was busy and service was inattentive. Food was underwhelming.Special Features:
- great food again. made a reservatioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2010great food again. made a reservation via open table but still had to wait 30 minutes!
- we never reached the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2010we never reached the restaurant because it came up on a search of restaurants in the neighborhood of Georgetown but it was not in Georgetown so got lost looking for it and had to go somewhere else. oh well.....
- Overall, good experience givenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2010Overall, good experience given the overwhelming crowd (probably a result of the previous groupon deal). We waited a bit for our table, even though we had a reservation, but the staff was more than apologetic and accommodating to us - we also weren't in a rush so had no problem enjoying a drink before dinner. The food was amazing, the atmosphere was fun but not too loud. Highly recommend - perhaps once the groupon craziness dies down!Special Features:
- The food was excellent, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/16/2010The food was excellent, but the service was terrible. We had an 8 o'clock reservation but were not seated until 8:30. No one took our order for 15 minutes after we were seated. Food took 40 minutes to arrive. Overall, a disorganized place with lots of potential.
- The first time visit sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2010The first time visit since the reopening of Penang - liked the new decor and same great food and service.Special Features:
- Food was good but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/24/2010Food was good but service was awful. We never got our spring rolls and the waiter messed up our order on two different things (one was a drink order and the other was the spring rolls) and he didn't seem to care or try to comp us or fix the problem. We also waited a long time for the bill and when it came, it had 3 items on it that were in correct so it took then another long wait to get it corrected. In the end, we couldn't even pay using our credit card because we just couldn't wait any longer. Food was OK but not worth a revisit given the poor service.Special Features:
- Very nice servers and staff.DaveDined on 9/18/2010Very nice servers and staff. We've always enjoyed our visits there.Special Features:
- The Food was delicious butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2010The Food was delicious but the service was extremely slow. We were sat before several other couples and were still served last. Had to wait about 20 mins before someone came to take our order. Other than that, the food certainly made up for itSpecial Features:
- We sat outside for dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2010We sat outside for dinner, which was great. My friend was late in arriving, so I discovered that Penang also has a terrific happy hour: seriously cheap food and drink options, even for a vegetarian, and it continues until 8:00 every evening. I'll be back. The host was very attentive and held our table even though it was the last available outside.Special Features:
- We had been to Penang beforeDCDebVIPDined on 9/17/2010We had been to Penang before but it was a long time ago. The decor used to be dark and now it's very light, airy and urban feeling. There was an accent wall done in lime green and silver which was attractive. We were a group of five and sat at a round table in the middle of the restaurant. I noticed that the banquette sets are very low and chose a chair. We had a very good server who was attentive to our drink orders which is always nice. The restaurant got very busy as we were preparing to leave. that's always the sign of a good eatery. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Not bad if you're lookingfoodietravlrVIPDined on 9/16/2010Not bad if you're looking for thai or malaysian cuisine close to dupont circle. staff was attentive (but we came very early for dinner, around 4:30pm and they were still setting up for dinner crowd). really flavorful dishes.Special Features:
- My experience here was justOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2010My experience here was just ok. The food came out much too fast for them to have made it to order. My dish was rather bland.
- The food and drinks were good,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2010The food and drinks were good, although getting spice / heat from the kitchen was a bit difficult. Visited for dinner and ended up in the lounge portion of the bar with appetizers and dinner entrees - quite comfortable and relaxed.Special Features:
- It was pretty dead..... theOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/8/2010It was pretty dead..... the food was a little highly priced... and very little portions. We were not offered dessert.....and instead were just brought our check.
- The food was pretty good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2010The food was pretty good, but service was lacking. It seemed they didn't have enough servers for the number of guests. Although our waitress was nice, it seemed like we didn't get much attention. We ordered two appetizers and only received one, our drink order was forgotten, and they seemed to be in a rush to have us sign the bill and get us out. Don't think we'll be back.Special Features:
- We went to Penang with a largeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2010We went to Penang with a large group at early lunch time on a weekend. We had been there before, but not in many years. Our food was amazing and authentic - we were very impressed. We had our kids with us and although it's not a typical kids restaurant, the wait staff were very friendly to them, even when they ran around the restaurant (fortunately, there were not many other patrons there at the time). Portion sizes were very large. My only reason to not rate this restaurant higher is their prices. We had a groupon for $35, but still the meal was around $150 for four adults and three kids, though we did order a lot and had leftovers. It would be nice if they could get a lunch menu and drop their prices a bit.Special Features:
- The service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2010The service was excellent. The staff was extremely attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- For better Malaysian food,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2010For better Malaysian food, try Malaysia Kopitiam or, even better, the unaffiliated Penang Malaysian Cuisine located in Bethesda. The food here wasn't bad, but it lacked authenticity and that "wow" factor we enjoy in the Bethesda restaurant by the same name. Nice ambiance here, though.
- Penang is kind of like a rookieOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2010Penang is kind of like a rookie quarterback drafted in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft. Both show a lot of potential, and sometimes reveal glimpses of greatness, but in the end both are very inconsistent. The location is great (just south of Dupont). The decor and ambience is great; it's clean, hip, and relaxed. Their service is OK, but not great. At certain points during dinner they are on rhythm and re-filling your drinks, taking your order, bringing out the apps etc...and then suddenly there is a drop off in service and the waitstaff disappears. The entrees and appetizers are hit or miss. The Murtabak is to die for and the Tappan is phenomenal, but some of the other dishes are mediocre..and sometimes bad. If PenanSpecial Features:
- Excellent meal, very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2010Excellent meal, very pleasant environment. We said we were in a bit of a hurry to make theatre afterwards and they were very accommodating.Special Features:
- The food Was EXCELLENT andOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/17/2010The food Was EXCELLENT and the staff was very accomidating.Special Features:
- Falls into the category ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2010Falls into the category of fine, but not exceptional, Asian food. Left me thinking that I should have spent $30 on takeout and $10 on a bottle of wine rather than $100 for two entrees and a glass of wine apiece.
- Fabulous dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/9/2010Fabulous dining experience. The flavors of the food were thoughtfully put together and made my taste buds sing! The service is outstanding. The bar scene is pretty vibrant, so be prepared for a lot of noise to drift over, if you're seated near the bar area. The noise didn't bother our party, as we were contributing to it with our animated conversation and outbursts of laughter, but it may bother some. A MUST for foodies. Will definitely make a point of revisiting this great find whenever I am in the D.C. area again.Special Features:
- The food was good, and reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/8/2010The food was good, and reasonably priced for the location. Interestingly, there was a large number of wait staff, especially compared with the small number of patrons, yet the service was very spotty.Special Features:
- I was disappointed with myMorrisVIPDined on 7/1/2010I was disappointed with my experience at Penangs in DC compared to Penangs in NYC. The ambience is border-line diner style. The band sets up too early to turn the restaurant into a nightclub. We asked for spicy and it came out mild at best. The curry puffs were definitely not worth getting - it looks like they were either frozen and reheated. The duck was gamey and chewy. The mango/chicken presentation was great, but the taste could have been from the local chinese takeout. All in all pretty disappointed in the restaurant and will definitely not go back.
- Server was good and knowledgeable.cooltigerVIPDined on 6/30/2010Server was good and knowledgeable. Food is good, but not quite as authentic as other Penang restaurants we've been to.