1125A Military Cutoff Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28405Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pembrokescuisine.com/
- Phone: (910) 239-9153
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James Doss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as, for brunch on Sundays.
A word from Pembroke's
From the owners of Rx, chef James Doss and business partner Josh Novicki bring you Pembroke's!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Pembroke's - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Pembroke's reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (44)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (24)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (15)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food but the table size for the four of us..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I think the atmosphere could be a little less harsh, for a lack of better words. The tables, not booths, are a little large for a couple or even a group of 4 making the conversion a little awkward & straining. I get the eclectic feel better I feel the layout & type of tables could be a little bit more thought out to make the evening a little more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food felt like "Top Chef "Quality.AnneDined on 11/13/2014From the first course of amazing oysters Rockefeller to the last with the delicious red velvet cheesecake, between bites everyone was saying "you have to taste this"For a special night I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014One of the best restaurants in Wilmington area, food was wonderful as was service. All of the products very well presented.Special Features:
- Good place for "grazers"FoodaholicDined on 11/1/2014Pembrokes has a refreshing dining concept. While it offers entree-sized meals, it emphasizes small plates which enables"grazers" to try a larger variety of dishes. Very creative cooking and most ingredients are locally sourced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, but costlyfoodie4lifeDined on 10/31/2014Food was great, portion sizes were acceptable and as expected, service was great and very attentive. Expect to pay for all of the above on your check. Dinner for two with shared appetizer, first and main course, with dessert, and 3 glasses of wine or mixed drinks each $175.Special Features:
- Very Pleased!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014We went for our first time to Pembroke's after several recommendations and we were not disappointed. It was restaurant week and we picked three from their set menu of top sellers. The waitress was knowledgable and gave us amazing recommendations! The bbq wings on the app menu were amazing and really could be an entree on their own, and the pork chop was out of this world! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitsurfcitydinerDined on 10/25/2014seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant /preferred a table along the wall Table had silverware / no napkins. After we were served our first course we had to ask for napkins - the waitress wanted to know if we wanted 1 or 2. Guess she thought we would share. Food was good to okay, certainly not large portions/ not skimpy either. Some tables had bread - we were never offered, but didn't ask for it either Dessert was bad- Carrot cake parfait it had obviously been refrigerated NOTE to owners refrigerating cake dries it out 2 much cream cheese frosting the cake, though dry had a good taste, (need more cake, 2 much frosting). Replacing frosting with whipped cream would be good and provide moisture Wine was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something missingVesuviusDined on 10/25/2014It's a second Rx, but not quite. While the menu style is the same and dishes a slightly different version, the execution misses the incredibly high standard that the "mother" restaurant sets for all restaurants in SE North Carolina. Part of the order was missed and it wasn't even that busy yet. The food was inventive, but missing the comfort aspect of the eclectic Southern promised. Soup with duck confit should have ever so slightly more duck discernible in the accents. A salad with beets should have a semblance of the earthy delight. Still, the food IS inventive and no one leaves feeling hungry. Nice wine selection with a good range. I'll give it a go again, no doubt. I love the foodie scene the owners are making here in Wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealgranjanDined on 10/24/2014We went to Pembroke's to celebrate our anniversary. The food and service were both excellent! My husband had the shrimp and grits which he loved; the grits were delicious and perfectly cooked, the shrimp were tender and tasty. I had 2 yummy appetizers instead of an entree, the chicken livers which were lightly breaded, crispy and tender, & served with risotto, and the crab cake with lima beans and tomato, both soooo good. For dessert, we had the chocolate chess pie -- DIVINE!! It was really hard to pick just one or two items from all the delicious-sounding dishes; we will definitely go back and try some more! In regard to the service, our waiter was very helpful and knowledgable, and Mr. Doss was a very welcoming and gracious host.Special Features:
- A gem!jan2wbVIPDined on 10/24/2014Third trip to Pembrokes didn't disappoint! I love the combinations the chef comes up with. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatSid44Dined on 10/18/2014I have been to Pembroke's several times and its always great. Food is outstanding and service is always good. One of Wilmington's best places to dine. My top 5 in Wilmington are Pembrokes', Manna, Rx, 1900 and Brasserie in no particular order. All are great!Special Features:
- Sunday brunch winner!NewkidintownDined on 10/5/2014New to Wilmington, my wife and I have been looking for an unique spot for a special Sunday brunch. We found it, and then some. From the perfectly muddled and mixed Old Fashion, to the open-faced Monte Cristo and hash browns, the food was excellent! And the service was "above and beyond". Pass the word, THIS is the place... for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!QueenieDined on 10/2/2014The food is quality driven not quanity which is fine with us. Great service the bartender was a big help her name is Deborah. They served a basket of bread that was delicious. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in WilmingtonWinenDineDined on 9/26/2014Don't miss eating a meal at Pembroke's. Great menu with a few unusual and interesting items. Best steak I've had in a restaurant in a long time, especially the New York strip. Seafood is also perfectly cooked. Sides are not an afterthought, all very well prepared. Service is very good and waiters are attentive. Best of all, the ambiance is excellent as tables are spread out and it's easy to carry on a conversation with others at the table.Special Features:
- ncmammaDined on 9/24/2014Food and wine were a little pricey. However, we knew it going in and both were great. The arugula salad was especially tasty. Service was fast and friendly. Loved how the bill was delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with flairpickyaboutfoodDined on 9/21/2014I had a bowl of flounder with field peas, squash and peaches. Never would have dreamed that combination would be so good. Have nailed down south with an upscale approach.Special Features:
- Better Than ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014A number of prior reviews were negative on Pembrooke: expensive, small portions, charged for bread. I didn't find any of these but did find good quality food, ample portions, good service. A little pricy but not over the top.Special Features:
- FoodieNoleDined on 9/19/2014Attentive service, did not feel the least bit rushed. excellent flavor combinations, with presentations to match. Creative cocktails were very interesting. Do NOT miss the desserts, here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cammy HodgesCammyVIPDined on 9/14/2014Matt was an excellent server, dinner was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Not very romanticCraigDined on 9/13/2014This was my first visit and was hoping for something a bit more intimate. It is a large area and the table to big for you to feel close. It was kind of like a romantic dinner in a nice warehouse. As far as the food, it was very good. Fresh, local and exciting. Depending on the atmosphere you are looking for I would reccommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ChoicefoodloveratheartDined on 9/10/2014I chose Pembroke's as I've eaten at Prescription...same folks. It was an wise choice for a birthday dinner. Looking forward to another dinner and won't be waiting for a year to pass and have another birthday.Special Features:
- A must experience restaurantMinnTransplantDined on 9/9/2014This restaurant was the best one of all for dinner that my daughter and I went to during our vacation to the beach. It had great food and service in a beautiful environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing speciallikestodineoutDined on 9/6/2014Food was uneven. Flounder offering was very good but shrimp and grits sub par. Green fried tomato appetizer and okra had too much breading and cheap grease taste. Dessert was excellent however. Also asked for candle in a dessert or other acknowledgement of celebration of 59th wedding anniversary but request went unheeded. Asked for a table outside main traffic area but that was ignored too. Would only recommend this establishment for coffee and dessert.
- Just nice...LovegoodfoodDined on 9/5/2014Having read the other reviews on OpenTable and having heard a number of personal testimonies, my wife and I chose Pembroke's for a date night out. Everything was fine, but not amazing. The cheese plate appetizer was good, but for $16 I expected something more. The ribeye I got was an excellent cut, but had very little taste. The mixed vegetables were just OK, overcooked slightly. My wife enjoyed her scallops, but did not rave about them. Nice place, but I won't be back - too many other good restaurants in Wilmington. :-)
- Fantastic foodie find!NikkiKronDined on 8/30/2014So happy to have a branch of Rx on this side of town. Everything was beautiful, fresh and DELICIOUS! I can't wait until my next visit. Service was impeccable! Manager Jeb is always so accommodating and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food was top notch! Great flavors and creativity in the dishes. Amazing appetizers and outstanding dessert. They also have a scotch list and some good signature cocktails which are not just overly sweet. Excellent dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pembroke's Great!livingwellsDined on 8/29/2014This was my our first visit to Pembroke's. We visited on our "date night" out and it turned out wonderful. The food and service was top notch. We would definitely recommend and will be returning for another visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2014great. no need to write that much. will be back soon. ok the breads are wonderfulSpecial Features:
- BirthdaymomDined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed our dinner on Saturday, August 9. It was a birthday treat from my daughter and she could not believe that Wilmingto had a restaurant equal to those in Durham. It is a large space; if you could do anything to add plants or planters to make more intimate, it would be an improvement. Thanks for a great dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great Find!MannyDined on 8/7/2014Diverse menu, great food and attentive staff. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pembroke'sMarcDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good and the price was very fair. I would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 86 reviews are from the Pembroke's reviews archive.
- Local Food Does Note = GoodWilmingtonwillieDined on 7/23/2014Disappointed that Pembroke's, with as much hype as it has been given in the press, wasn't the experience for us that we had been led to believe we would have. The food was excessively salty, service from the bar was L-O-N-G (and it wasn't even that busy), and our waitress had a bad to indifferent attitude.Special Features:
- Great timePchoaDined on 7/13/2014So far we've only been there for brunch , but we intend to expand on that,the food and service was great , our server was very knowledgeable , and friendly , with out being over bearing , loved the atmosphere ,will and already have recommended it to friends, can't wait to try out the deserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pembrokes was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014great food, great service and good atmosphere. We definitely be back.Special Features:
- Every Course was excellentvedwardsjrDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I are 20+ year foodies, having lived all over. This was the best meal we've had in Wilmington. The tomatoe appetizer was great, the swordfish with blueberries was insane and both the flourless tort and creme brulee were perfect! Good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wait staffronnieDined on 7/4/2014Thw gal waiting on us did not want to be working that nite. Her attitude was bad . Otherwise it was great
- Good foodkhpaDined on 7/2/2014We dined at Pembrokes 7/2. Food and service were excellent. Everything we ordered was great! Fried green tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes were OUTSTANDING! Using ingredients that are in season make a difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- powgoesdiningDined on 7/2/2014This restaurant has wonderful innovative craft cocktails and we had anticipated a fine dining experience. The menu sounded great. We ordered a number of first plates and a few entrees. The cheese plate was the best one. The fried green tomatoes had a heavy coating, looked commercial and lacked flavor. The clam soup lacked flavor and did not look appetizing. However, the fried chicken livers were cooked just right. Crispy on the outside, soft and moist on the inside. The seared tuna was the hit. Perfectly rare. The steak dish was chewy. We agreed all the dishes were too salty and lacked other flavor. We think if the chefs adjusted the seasonings and upped the quality of the main ingredients, this restaurant could be very good.
- On our favorites list!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014What a lovely surprise! Our first time here after reading about it in the paper. Fantastic food and attentive service! Will definitely be returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceWinenDineDined on 6/24/2014One of the best restaurants in the Wilmington area. Great steaks and seafood. One of the best New York Strip steaks I've ever had in a restaurant. Most all of the food is from local sources and is super fresh. Nice ambiance as the tables are not close together so you can carry on a quiet conversation.Special Features: