22800 Pelican Hill Rd
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pelicanhill.com/Dining_Pelican_Grill
- Phone: 9496121913x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Derek Brooks
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Pop-Rock "Newport Coast Trio" featured Thursday - Saturday, 7pm - 11pm
*Band start time subject to Sporting Event schedules
A word from Pelican Grill
Located at Pelican Hill Golf Club, this restaurant celebrates the best of the California lifestyle with its gorgeous seaside location, delectable menu prepared with fresh, locally sourced ingredients, stylish and comfortable décor, Italian-inspired architecture, terrace with ocean and golf course views, gracious personalized service and sophisticated, yet relaxed bar with nine-foot HDTVs for sports viewing. In the open-display kitchen, Chef Derek Brooks leads the culinary team in creating innovative seafood and steak dishes. Dining al fresco on the terrace, equipped with hidden heaters and sunscreens for year-round comfort, is the quintessential California dining experience. The generous, balanced wine list features mostly California selections and more than 30 wines by the glass. The Tasting Table invites diners to sit right next to the open-concept kitchen in the main dining room for an intimate, chef-led dinner featuring the freshest seasonal ingredients and creative presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Pelican Grill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Pelican Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (116)great for outdoor dining (99)special occasion (91)romantic (77)great for lunch (51)fit for foodies (49)notable wine list (33)good for groups (30)neighborhood gem (28)great for brunch (26)kid-friendly (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful dinner, expensive but worth it! Very attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pelican GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Great location and ambiance. Poor service and attention to detail. New chefs took to long to make main entree and burnt steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014High expectations were exceeded - dinner, service, view & overall dining experience truly outstanding. Super-fantastic evening!Special Features:
- Nicely surprisedEricLasVegasDined on 9/23/2014I booked lunch reservations there and then read a few reviews. Of course we always focus on the negative ones, so I was a little reserved with my expectations. However, the service was just as good as I would have expected from a property like this. From our greeting to the time we left, every staff member was genuinely friendly and helpful. The food was great and the view from the veranda of the ocean was nice. We were there on a weekday for lunch, so the noise level was very low. Price was on par with a restaurant of this caliber. I will be back.Special Features:
- disappointed patronExpertdinningDined on 9/21/2014Thought was going to sit in a dining area, but this was just a bar! A bar with lots of noise.
- Picturesque Outdoor DiningBigDaddyDined on 9/21/2014We were seated outside overlooking the lush green golf course and the Pacific Ocean in the distance. The breeze blew gently through the tiled deck with vaulted ceilings. There was a light bustle of people talking at their tables, imparting some energy to the scene but not loud enough to distract. The food was excellent. I had a corn bisque and Eggs Benedict and my wife had the heirloom tomato salad, substituted greens for the focaccia bread, and the salmon over lentils.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The flavor of our cornish game hen was gamey and the skin was greasy. The mashed potatoes were not fluffy, were heavy, and tasted gamey also. Salad good. We were at a table on the terrace, outside of the very noisy bar, and the waiters repeatedly left the door open, bringing out the noise to the terrace, to the point where we could not hold a conversation. We ourselves closed the door three times. The service was exceedingly slow.
- Excellent Atmosphere and ServiceBigGuyDined on 9/18/2014We celebrated our anniversary at the Grill, and were very pleased with the entire experience. The service was impeccable, with several wait staff to help us. We never felt rushed, and were allowed to fully enjoy our time together at the restaurant. We'll definitely return, and more often that just for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MnMR1Dined on 9/18/2014I recommend the Pellican Grill to anyone who would like an evening of very good food, great servers and a beautiful atmostphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014Went for our anniversary celebrations. It was an awesome experience. View was amazing, food was good, wine was good and Server was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of best dining experiences everMaverick1776Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went to The Pelican Grill to celebrate her birthday. Everything was exceptional: food, service, ambiance, and the ocean view were all first rate. I have paid much more for meals that were enjoyed far less. My wife and I both recommend this restaurant as strongly as we would any. We hope to go back again soon, and many more times after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al Fresco Takes on new MeaningRichardDined on 9/10/2014Beautiful, peaceful ambiance. Perfect rare ahi tuna (and lots of it) in Salade Nicoise. Lobster risotto lovely, with succulent chunks of lobster and full of exotic mushrooms. The view of the grounds with the Pacific in the background in such a quiet environment is truly special. Service impeccable, and our server Cobi also showed me how to post a photo of us at our table on Facebook. Above and beyond. We will so be back and try to bring family and/or friends when we do to acquaint them with this gem. Magical.Special Features:
- Wonderful Annivesary SpotjsquiresDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated our 2nd anniversary here and we were beyond impressed. We got a table on the patio (a must for the ambiance) and because we said it was our anniversary, we got a table in the corner and watched the sunset while we ate our meal.Special Features:
- cojojoDined on 9/5/2014Great service. Great food. Great ambiance. Husband requested chef make Oysters Rockefeller and chef accommodated. They were amazing. Perfect night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a View!mouseDined on 9/4/2014Pelican Grill offers great food with a great view in a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Experiencedelay711Dined on 9/1/2014I went here for a special birthday and it was awesome. Mark was our server and he was great. Explained everything on the menu and catered to our every request. The food was amazing and service was fast. I had the special grilled skinless salmon and my fiancee had the chicken caeser salad. We also had the mac & cheese which was probably our favorite part.Special Features:
- Can I offer you Gluten Free bread?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Loved that I was asked if I wanted some gluten free bread on the table! That rarely happens. My friend had the SeaBass and thought it was delicious. I had the Sarsparilla Short Rib, and thought it equally delicious. The meat was tender and the sauce sweet and delightful. The appetizers are generously portioned. I had the grilled artichoke and it was awesome. I would eat here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/26/2014Food was barely mediocre. Won't return. ...............................................Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014I thought everything was very nice, just VERY Pricey. The wine list started at $47 a bottle. I thought the waitress was very snotty....like this place was above us. It was a beautiful view and the food was okay. I would not go back....Special Features:
- MrbdinerVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great location with beautiful view of the sunset from the patio. Imaginative menu and we enjoyed every one of our choices. Great service. Only one caveat--be prepared for sticker shock when the check arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiance, food is below parturbojetmcDined on 8/23/2014we enjoyed the ambiance so much that we are willing to forgive the mediocre quality of the food. you can get much better tasting food from places like Houston, El Forino, or Roys, but again, we went there for the ambiance, and the prices of the food is not cheap so we were a bit disappointed. I noticed couple of golf course restaurants are like that, they serve mediocre food at high price with great ambiance.Special Features:
- Beautiful view and great foodLoriVIPDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed our lunch at the Pelican Grill. I had a wagu burger, which was delicious.Special Features:
- Beautiful viewKathrynDined on 8/21/2014Beautiful ocean view. Nice atmosphere comfortable seating. Very good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Won't be DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Set in the Clubhouse of Pelican Hill Resort, Pelican Grill has a beautiful ambience, exellent food and service, and a very traditional menu. You might want to arrive early and wander through the grounds of the resort. I had the cioppino, and my partner had the filet with chimichurri sauce. Both were excellent, though we did have to send hers back because it was undercooked. The offered her a bowl of their tortilla soup while she waited. it was delicious.Special Features:
- GoetyGDined on 8/13/2014excellent location with good food in an extraordinary environmentSpecial Features:
- The best golf club restaurant.FineDinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014Its ideal to have a meal after a round at the Pelican Hill golf courses. But the food, service and ambience are all a cut above golf circle. Worth to drive out there to eat even if you did not play golf that day. Excellent duck breast and Chilean sea bass. Service and ambience are true to 5 star resort class.Special Features:
- Great dinner, great food, viewEatingwell1Dined on 8/12/2014We had the chance to sit in the patio and watch the sun drop into the ocean. The entrees (sea bass, scallops, crab cakes) were superb in presentation and taste. The wait staff were attentive, good natured and unobtrusive. The ambience was great - even with young families nearby the noise level was conversational. This was our second time there and both experiences were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete experienceNorse66Dined on 8/7/2014From the personal greeting at arrival, unhurried atmosphere, wonderful panoramic view at sunset, The Pelican Grill delivered on all accounts. Oh I forgot to mention the food! A wonderful eclectic choice (my date, a vegetarian even marveled at her choices). Highlights were the Chilean sea bass served on a bed of forbidden rice and surprisingly an iceberg wedge salad with enough fresh ingredients to make it standout. Give yourself enough time to enjoy this dining experience and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Meal in Special SettingNItravellerDined on 8/4/2014My wife and teenage daughter ate here one evening. We had an outside table with a view of the sunset - spectacular! The food choices were extensive. The specials and many items in the menu were well explained by our server (Mark) who was very attentive throughout the evening. All of the food which was ordered was tasty and the wine was very good. My wife's sea bass was particularly outstanding and my daughters' pasta was very tasty. This is a special restaurant. We enjoyed the ambience, setting, food and the excellent service. Try to get a table outside before sunset and watch the sun go down over the Newport Coast. We are returning again for the final meal of our vacation and have requested the same outstanding server again.Special Features:
- Not up to its usual StandardsMichael66Dined on 8/3/2014I have dined at Pelican Grill in the past as well as Andrea, and the Coliseum pool & grill when I stayed at Pelican Hill Resort. The service is always impeccable, the views delightful. Food can be spotty, but generally well prepared and at times innovative. However my visit this past Sunday with a party of 5 was quite disappointing. While our table was charming and the server efficient, the first thing that greeted one of our guests when seated was a dirty fork. Of course it was replaced along with an apology and complimentary order of Bruschetta. Then came our food, with three of the orders fine but the other 2 problematic. One a salmon order, had some weird barely edible accompaniments, the other a cob salad, missing proper ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent excellenceCandleman1Dined on 8/1/2014The Pelican Grill has been our special restaurant over the last several years because we always have a special experienceSpecial Features:
- Oh what a NightRaddadDined on 7/29/2014This was one of our most enjoyable evenings. It was our 46th anniversary and the staff was fantastic. Kevin, our waiter, took more than enough time to explain everything, from the wine list, beer list, and the menu. The food and ambiance was superb. It was truly a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Service Horriblelpw1Dined on 7/28/2014It is hard to think about anything other than the service being so terrible. Our waiter who finally showed up at our table was totally flustered and not so nice. Again with disappearing act as we had the same experience the night before. Only ate there again because finishing golf at 8:00 and we were staying there. All I can say it terrible service. Food and view could not make up for it.Special Features:
- View beats servicelpw1Dined on 7/26/2014Food was not up to par, but the view was magnificent and watching the sun set was absolutely breathtaking. Service was stiff and uneven. Waiters would disappear and you would not see for a long time. Seemed very disorganized. Disappointing.Special Features:
- PERFECT DINNERChanelNCDined on 7/26/2014This place has a great view and pretty well tasting food. The atmosphere was very romantic. I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and he liked it to. I would definitely return. A little pricey so I wouldn't eat here once a week. but very nice for special occasions. Birthdays, Anniversary's etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer evening on the porchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014The outside dining area is beautiful. The service is fantastic and attentive without being in your face all the time. They made oysters rockefeller for me even though it was not on the menu.Special Features:
- Beautiful vista; great service.KathleenVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had fantastic service. Our waiter was very friendly, helpful with suggestions and there when we needed him. He easily accommodated request for changes to the ordered dish. The view from the patio was lovely and everyone seemed to enjoy the food.Special Features:
- The Pelican grill pops.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/20145 stars in every respect- couldn't be nicer. Taken many guests there-they all think it is the best of the best in The OC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pelican a Must Go1BaymomVIPDined on 7/17/2014One of my favorite dining spots along the coast of Newport. Beautiful coastal views, delicious food and always excellent service. I enjoyed the beet salad with the addition of grilled chicken breast. The Cobb salad was another popular choice at our table. Everything is fresh, locally-sourced whenever possible and delicious!Special Features:
- Lunch last weekSunnydaysDined on 7/17/2014Business lunch last week. Felt the service and the food has gone down in quality... experience is getting stale. View is great and that is what you pay for. Music is terrible. Food was average... salmon was overcooked. Service was slow and used to be much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.