22800 Pelican Hill Rd
Newport Coast, CA 92657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pelicanhill.com/Dining_Pelican_Grill
- Phone: (949) 612-1913
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Derek Brooks
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Pop-Rock "Newport Coast Trio" featured Thursday - Saturday, 7pm - 11pm
*Band start time subject to Sporting Event schedules
A word from Pelican Grill
Located at Pelican Hill Golf Club, this restaurant celebrates the best of the California lifestyle with its gorgeous seaside location, delectable menu prepared with fresh, locally sourced ingredients, stylish and comfortable décor, Italian-inspired architecture, terrace with ocean and golf course views, gracious personalized service and sophisticated, yet relaxed bar with nine-foot HDTVs for sports viewing. In the open-display kitchen, Chef Derek Brooks leads the culinary team in creating innovative seafood and steak dishes. Dining al fresco on the terrace, equipped with hidden heaters and sunscreens for year-round comfort, is the quintessential California dining experience. The generous, balanced wine list features mostly California selections and more than 30 wines by the glass. The Tasting Table invites diners to sit right next to the open-concept kitchen in the main dining room for an intimate, chef-led dinner featuring the freshest seasonal ingredients and creative presentations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Pelican Grill - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
Pelican Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (89)great for outdoor dining (81)special occasion (71)romantic (60)fit for foodies (44)great for lunch (42)good for groups (32)notable wine list (28)great for brunch (22)neighborhood gem (21)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerChaeyaDined on 11/23/2014The hubs and I went here for dinner. Arrived at 5:00p so we could see the sunset. It was awesome because no one else was there and we had the entire patio to ourselves. Got to see a beautiful sunset and the waiters were patient with us as we tried to figure out what we wanted in between taking pictures of the sunset. The food was very flavorful, light and delish. I really enjoyed the quiet and that people sit a good distance apart from you. While we dined outside, I noticed that inside had a very classy, but sort of "homey" feel to it - with a fireplace and high ceilings and carpet. It's a nice place to take a group of people, as well. We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, great execution!BB25VIPDined on 11/17/2014The menu was very basic with moderate tweaks to well known offerings. What I was impressed by was the execution. It is amazing how FRESH, simply grilled fish (I had the Mahi) with sauteed Asian green beans can be so delicious. No frills, just fresh fish and proper cooking. If you're looking for "new" American cuisine or foam, this is not the place. But if you're looking for a top notch, quality seafood house, this is the place. The staff was great and very accommodating of our young ones. We ate lunch right as the restaurant opened and sat outside over looking the harbor. I wish more so-called seafood restaurants were like this one. Reasonable wine selections, too. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CDMNUPVIPDined on 11/15/2014The view from outdoor dinning was beautiful as usual. We always enjoy going to PG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantSoCalGalVIPDined on 11/14/2014At Pelican Grill they do everything right! Spectacular view, superb food and gracious service!Special Features:
- Great lunch!JannieDined on 11/13/2014Was a very special place to celebrate a birthday! Found the service to be outstanding. Had the friendliest waiter who made my friend who was having the birthday feel very special! And all three of us felt the food was extraordinarily good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was world class.dccdaveDined on 11/8/2014My friend ordered Venison.I have never tried it so I had a bite.It was tender ans tasted like the filet I had.All my misconceptions were out the window!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeVIPDined on 11/8/2014I have never been disappointed at this restaurant, and their eclectic menu puts me in a quandary every time because I want to order six things!Special Features:
- Just...wow!DchillDined on 11/7/2014I had spent hours searching for the right place to celebrate my one year anniversary with my girlfriend and I could not find one thing wrong with this place based off reading the reviews. Upon arrival, we were blown away by the location, scenery, service, and quality of food. This was by far the best dining experience I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pelicanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great service and food, extensive wine list with some sensible prices. Restaurant was very busy when we were there, but staff still gave us time to have a relaxed unhurried meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food with a VIEW!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great place to enjoy food and drink at sunset. The outdoor area was nice and quiet (and very warm, which I was a little worried about since it had just rained). Inside was a little noisier than I would have liked and I'm not sure why anyone would sit inside and miss the view. Reserving through open table was very simple.Special Features:
- AmazingLive2EatDined on 10/31/2014Ribeye was def the best I have had. View was amazing. Drinks fabulous and very romantic setting. Will recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeKrisUDined on 10/28/2014Great place and the service was INCREDIBLE. Food was great. Very very pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a Sunday afternooncskgreenDined on 10/26/2014Great food, great place for Sunday afternoon hangout to watch football at the great bar with a warm beautiful fireplace and great big screen TV's to watch the game. Great wine list, great view, great food. Beautiful views of the Pacific, warm patio for outside dining, you just want to stay and hang out forever. Impeccable service, food suggestions were spot on, everything was delicious. Started with the bruschetta, 3 different flavors, great Harvest salad, sea bass was perfect. Ended with the peach soufflé', memorable dinner. Will be back.Special Features:
- Lunch-Pelican Grill-Newport CoastStockReviewsDined on 10/25/2014Our server, Sarah, made our dining experience at Pelican Grill one that will be very hard to top. Her attentiveness and friendliness and total concern for our comfort was something everyone in our party enjoyed immensely. After viewing the property on line I thought the Pelican Grill would be a nice place to enjoy on a beautiful Southern California day. And the restaurant and the view did not let us down. Two of the people in our group had a Bloody Mary and said it was the best they ever tasted. Three of us had the Ahi Tuna sandwich and my sister had the chicken picatta. We all enjoyed the meals very much but have to keep coming back to Sarah who created an incredible memory for us. Hopefully we will all return again very soon.Special Features:
- Outdoor/indoor ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Best of both worlds for dining. In the midst of guests dining around us we felt very private in dining and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeat customersAlesia1Dined on 10/19/2014Been there numerous times... it is a gem for everything. Worth the bit higher prices.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoozOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Awesome food, sevice and ambiance. Loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Lunch al FrescoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014Perfect spot for a friendly business lunch or romantic rendezvous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014We really enjoyed to location, food, service, and ambiance. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiladDined on 10/11/2014Amazing view and high quality food. the staff were so polite. the price was also reasonable.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceDLDLVIPDined on 10/10/2014Waiter was very in attentive and rude. Waited almost an hour to take our order or check in with us as if he was too busy.
- Professional lunch dateRealistDined on 10/10/2014I've never had a bad experience at Pelican Grill. I have enjoyed baby showers, committee meetings, high tea and lunch with the girls many times over. BEAUTIFUL SETTING, GREAT SERVICE AND WONDERFUL FOOD. THEY GO OVER THE TOP TO FULFILL ANY REQUESTS..... I'm going back.Special Features:
- Loved it!LalaDined on 10/9/2014Pelican Grill was a wonderful return experience. They were very accommodating due to our late night arrival and let us dine at 9:00PM. Our waitress was a breath of fresh air! Knowledegable without being over bearing. Food was varied and delicious! Having been on the road for more than 8 hours all this was sooo appreciated.We will return again on our next visit!Special Features:
- Third Time Wasn't a CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/8/2014After two wonderful dining experiences in one week, we were looking forward to concluding our vacation with a third outing to the Pelican Grill. Unfortunately, my order was mishandled twice. It was the kitchen's fault; not the the wait staff. The restaurant made it right by not charging for my meal, however.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014We spent 3 hours in the patio, never felt rushed, service was very good. The food could be more flavorful. The entire as usual very good.Special Features:
- 44foodieDined on 9/27/2014Wonderful dinner, expensive but worth it! Very attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pelican GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Great location and ambiance. Poor service and attention to detail. New chefs took to long to make main entree and burnt steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVacationTimeDined on 9/25/2014High expectations were exceeded - dinner, service, view & overall dining experience truly outstanding. Super-fantastic evening!Special Features:
- Nicely surprisedEricLasVegasDined on 9/23/2014I booked lunch reservations there and then read a few reviews. Of course we always focus on the negative ones, so I was a little reserved with my expectations. However, the service was just as good as I would have expected from a property like this. From our greeting to the time we left, every staff member was genuinely friendly and helpful. The food was great and the view from the veranda of the ocean was nice. We were there on a weekday for lunch, so the noise level was very low. Price was on par with a restaurant of this caliber. I will be back.Special Features:
- disappointed patronExpertdinningDined on 9/21/2014Thought was going to sit in a dining area, but this was just a bar! A bar with lots of noise.
- Picturesque Outdoor DiningBigDaddyDined on 9/21/2014We were seated outside overlooking the lush green golf course and the Pacific Ocean in the distance. The breeze blew gently through the tiled deck with vaulted ceilings. There was a light bustle of people talking at their tables, imparting some energy to the scene but not loud enough to distract. The food was excellent. I had a corn bisque and Eggs Benedict and my wife had the heirloom tomato salad, substituted greens for the focaccia bread, and the salmon over lentils.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The flavor of our cornish game hen was gamey and the skin was greasy. The mashed potatoes were not fluffy, were heavy, and tasted gamey also. Salad good. We were at a table on the terrace, outside of the very noisy bar, and the waiters repeatedly left the door open, bringing out the noise to the terrace, to the point where we could not hold a conversation. We ourselves closed the door three times. The service was exceedingly slow.
- Excellent Atmosphere and ServiceBigGuyDined on 9/18/2014We celebrated our anniversary at the Grill, and were very pleased with the entire experience. The service was impeccable, with several wait staff to help us. We never felt rushed, and were allowed to fully enjoy our time together at the restaurant. We'll definitely return, and more often that just for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MnMR1Dined on 9/18/2014I recommend the Pellican Grill to anyone who would like an evening of very good food, great servers and a beautiful atmostphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014Went for our anniversary celebrations. It was an awesome experience. View was amazing, food was good, wine was good and Server was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of best dining experiences everMaverick1776Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went to The Pelican Grill to celebrate her birthday. Everything was exceptional: food, service, ambiance, and the ocean view were all first rate. I have paid much more for meals that were enjoyed far less. My wife and I both recommend this restaurant as strongly as we would any. We hope to go back again soon, and many more times after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al Fresco Takes on new MeaningRichardDined on 9/10/2014Beautiful, peaceful ambiance. Perfect rare ahi tuna (and lots of it) in Salade Nicoise. Lobster risotto lovely, with succulent chunks of lobster and full of exotic mushrooms. The view of the grounds with the Pacific in the background in such a quiet environment is truly special. Service impeccable, and our server Cobi also showed me how to post a photo of us at our table on Facebook. Above and beyond. We will so be back and try to bring family and/or friends when we do to acquaint them with this gem. Magical.Special Features:
- Wonderful Annivesary SpotjsquiresDined on 9/6/2014We celebrated our 2nd anniversary here and we were beyond impressed. We got a table on the patio (a must for the ambiance) and because we said it was our anniversary, we got a table in the corner and watched the sunset while we ate our meal.Special Features:
- cojojoDined on 9/5/2014Great service. Great food. Great ambiance. Husband requested chef make Oysters Rockefeller and chef accommodated. They were amazing. Perfect night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with a View!mouseDined on 9/4/2014Pelican Grill offers great food with a great view in a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features: