110 Vintage Park Blvd.
Houston, TX 77070Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pelipeli.com/
- Phone: (281) 257-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International, South African
- Executive Chef: Paul Friedman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Peli Peli offers outside catering for weddings and social events as well as 2 private rooms that seat up to 40 and 120, respectively.
For more information please email our event coordinator, Dana Reeves, at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Entertainment: Take the "Tour of South Africa" our unique culinary dining experience that will take you through our most popular appetizers, entrees and dessert for a one-of-a-kind South African experience!
A word from Peli Peli
Peli Peli is an award-winning South African fusion concept that features steak, chicken and seafood cuisine by Chef Paul Friedman. 2013 Award Winner for Top 100 Best-Reviewed Restaurants in the US (Opentable). 2013 Chef of Chefs Award Winner (Wine & Food Week). Currently ranked #4 out of 7,135 Houston Restaurants on tripadvisor.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Peli Peli - Best Restaurants in Spring ›
Peli Peli reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (197)fit for foodies (164)romantic (129)neighborhood gem (110)good for groups (92)great for outdoor dining (80)hot spot (76)great for lunch (72)notable wine list (70)great for brunch (61)late-night find (32)vibrant bar scene (19)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- pkcrVIPDined on 11/22/2014Main dining room has wonderful ambiance Food and service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Everything was great except for the noise level. At times, my date and I had a hard time hearing each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarshaMsQualityoverQuanityDined on 11/21/2014Staff is extremely friendly and food is very delicous. You will want to keep going back to try different menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch VenueScotInHoustonDined on 11/21/2014I love this place. I took my Team for lunch and every one of them is raving about the food and ambience of the place. We had a range of appetizers - yum, yum. We tried the flatbread for the first time after a recommendation from one of my friends and it was a good as he said it would be. Most of us had steaks and they were all cooked to perfection. What can I say about the desserts that has not already been said - out of this world. The staff were very courteous and attentive without being overbearing. Overall, a great place to sit down and relax during a lunch timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014The waiter knew the me nu which allowed my guest to make selection they enjoyed from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chicken Fried Steak in TexasSkywalkerDined on 11/16/2014No lie, I've tried a lot of CFS in my life being a born and raised Texan, but the one here takes the cake. The creamy sauce and the eggs on top are just perfect. A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.GippDined on 11/15/2014Nice atmosphere and great food. I also learned some history which is great. I have recommended this spot to several people already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South African TourLovebirdsDined on 11/14/2014I've eaten at lots of different restaurants and I have to say that Peli Peli's is now a favorite! It married American and African cuisine in the best way. My recommendation is to take the tour. It's a blind tasting that includes top dishes and a variety of the menu. From beginning to end the tour was great. I took my husband who is a serious food critic and he talked about our experience more than I did. The tour is a flat fee per table and worth it!! I can't wait to take my girls to girls out weekend brunch! Oh I can't forget to mention that service was great! Matthew was fun and efficient. He delivered on making the experience exceed our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceRickDined on 11/14/2014From the moment we walked in the door the service was superb. We were offered free champagne while we waited for our table which was only 10 minutes. The waitress had a wonderful attitude and took care of our needs without us having to ask. Her assistant was also very attentive. Our drinks remained full and out table kept clean. The food was excellent. From the appetizer to the desert, all of the food was prepared and presented very well and at the correct temperature. We definitely will return and suggest to our acquaintances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jdsd3652Dined on 11/14/2014Excellent food and wine. The service was good, a little pricy but the excellent food and service made up for that.Special Features:
- Date NightWorkingMommyDined on 11/14/2014We love Peli Peli's food, but to us it quite pricy so we gave it 4 stars overall. For the price it is not as much of a dining experience as other similar priced restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014My wife and I went to celebrate a birthday. We did the tour which gives you samples of the most popular items on their menu. We thought it was a great idea to offer something like that. We enjoyed the food. We thought most of the plates they served were tasty but they didn't blow us away. Atmosphere was awesome and the service was as well. We would recommend trying it at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Peli-PelinoniincknameVIPDined on 11/13/2014We arrived at noon with two extra people. They seated us very quickly and our waiter brought us all water before taking drink orders. His suggestions on appetizers was excellent. Everyone enjoyed them. Dispite the faafct the didning room was very busy, we got our ordrs in and the food back relatvely promptly. I would highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- A must tryluv2dineDined on 11/11/2014First time here and plan on going back. The staff was very friendly and our waiter JD was helpful in menu selection. From appetizers to the dessert it was very flavorful. Our waiter suggested The Flavors of South Africa which we sampled a few of the appetizers, entrée, and the dessert the sticky toffee pudding chocolate cake was mmm goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great foodDianeVIPDined on 11/10/2014Love their combinations of food and presentation. FabulousSpecial Features:
- Wonderful PlaceITChica379Dined on 11/9/2014This was a wonderful place to celebrate our eighth anniversary. The surroundings were perfect and it was very romantic. I had a plate with samples of several different steak sauces which was divine. The high prices were well worth it for a special occasion evening. They even sent over two glasses of champagne compliments of the restaurant to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday on the 8th November 2014DebbieDined on 11/8/2014It was very good, the noise was bad, we had to really shout to here what the others on the table were saying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticWinstonDined on 11/8/2014We recently celebrated a special occasion at Peli Peli and our experience was fantastic. From the time we arrived until the time we left the very friendly and knowledgeable staff made us feel welcome. The food was incredibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Although the restaurant was a long distance, it was worth the drive! Went with friends from South Africa who pronounced the restaurant authentic. Our "Food and Service Expert", Virginia, was knowledgeable and fun. She highly recommended ordering the chef's sampler which allowed us to taste several appetizers and main courses that we might have overlooked otherwise. Each course was flavorful and delicious. The peli peli prawns are flown in daily and were the best I've ever tasted. The South African kingklip was also melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Save room for the sticky toffee pudding dessert!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good entree bad dessertDessertloverDined on 11/8/2014Went to celebrate my mother's birthday the food very tasty but the desserts omg no good they give me caramel liquid caramel no toffee so disappointed.
- great place to hang outSnowTurtleDined on 11/7/2014Food was pretty good, but I had higher hopes. We had the kingklip, Chilean sea bass, and scallops. The fish were delicious, scallops were slightly overcooked, and the options for side dishes seemed to mirror those of standard American fare. I would be open to trying this place again to see how the lamb and poultry compare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!jre234Dined on 11/6/2014We ate here for lunch last minute and had an amazing meal. Our lunch guests do not ordinarily eat food that comes anywhere close to fusion; however, they loved the food from the Biltong to the dessert. The food was very fresh and favorable and we ate it as directed by the waitstaff per Chefs orders. Dessert was out of this world. Sticky toffee cheesecake and key lime pie. Our only gripe was that we went for lunch and had our toddler with us. They did not have highchairs but were otherwise very accommodating trying to help us out. Luckily our lunch guests loved babies and did not put him down the whole time so it didn't interfere with my eating. Cant wait to try something different on the menu next time we travel to the area.Special Features:
- Cost cutting?DiningconnVIPDined on 11/4/2014We guess we have dined here around 15 to 20 times. Never a cause to complain about food quality and including this visit. However, the change to the new menu card has cheapened the look of the place and these plasticised cards are, in my opinion, unhygienic. The chicken entrees do not appear until the bottom of the reverse side of the card, almost as if trying to "disuade" you from the cheaper meat in favor of the more expensive listed entrees! Chicken dishes are NOT listed as entrees. I wonder why? Furthermore, the chicken curry dish my wife has regularly was only half the original portion. What's going on? There are more and more restaurant choices in the area. Owners would do well to provide a class above the rest, not come down.Special Features:
- Great flavoursChristopheDVIPDined on 11/1/2014Really worthwhile having diner there. Such a great mix of different flavours and influences, completely the opposite of the chain restaurants with flavorless food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014From the ambiance to the food and wine to the owner and staff, two thumbs up! I took my husband for his birthday and he raved about his steak. The steak medallions I had were amazing, as well and we loved the wine. The story behind Peli Peli is beautiful, also. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placelola2014Dined on 10/31/2014lovely restaurant, good service, nice ambience, and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaccPaccDined on 10/31/2014Had the lamb Osso buco. It was fork tender and delicious with a little tang in the vegetables and sauce.Special Features:
- Outstanding!FoodieDined on 10/31/2014I was skeptical about trying South African food - not knowing what to expect. I had an idea it would be steaks, but was surprised at how LARGE the prawns were!!! Amazing food!! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceSpecialOccasionDinersDined on 10/31/2014My wife & I enjoy Peli Peli primarily for special occasions because we are never disappointed. We also enjoy telling friends that you will never be disappointed when dining at Peli Peli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous All AroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Took my wife for our anniversary and we had a great meal. Waitress was very excited about the restaurant and its story. She made the entire evening just a little bit better. Food was phenomenal. Probably the best steak I've heard eaten. They even gave us free champagne for our anniversary.Special Features:
- 10th Anniversary Dinner....Amazing!TheHappyHourHunterDined on 10/25/2014This was a perfect night with many amazing moments! The manager brought out some special Champagne for the occasion. The staff were amazing in every way, when we walked in it was like the walk of fame with everyone saying hello, how are you, welcome..etc. The waiter was very knowledgeable and laid back in a friendly way. We ordered the ESPETADA and the South African Fish with shredded scallops sprinkled on to; Both were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014I guest and I truly found it to be an Awesome evening!! the Service was excellent and the Food was absolutely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentready2dineDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our evening. The food was excellent. We both ordered the Tour of South Africa and tried some new dishes along with a bottle of chocolate block wine. Service and atmosphere were top rate. I would recommend in the future.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We had a great lunch! The food was great and they had a variety of unique dishes to choose from. The service was excellent and overall we enjoyed our time at Peli Peli.Special Features:
- Wonderful Place To DineDeniseGDined on 10/25/2014The atmoshere was beautiful. Our Waitress, Elizabeth was great. The food was superb. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding for daughters 16th BDayDDubsDined on 10/24/2014Our daughter wanted her family 16th dinner to be at Pele Pele. The reception from the time we were greeted at the door, to the champagne (sparkling grape juice for the kids) toast for her birthday to the outstanding food and service. Top Shelf service and food. This place has gone to the top of our lists of special occasion places.Special Features:
- BarstarDined on 10/24/2014Cocktails were horrible. They offer 1 happy hour drink which was horrible tasting. We had to send our drinks back to the bar twice because they were horrible. The margaritas was made with tequila and lime only. Our server was excellent! He was very patience and polite. I will never recommend anyone to Peli Peli for happy hour. Great dining experience however, most people would like to enjoy a good cocktail prior to dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superlative....alwaysMagjimDined on 10/20/2014Peli Peli has been and remains our favorite restaurant for any occasion. This last visit, our 30th anniversary, to Peli Peli featured complimentary champagne in honor of the occasion, wonderful service from Ali, and a wonderfully prepared meal including Peli Peli merlot. My wife's filet was extremely satisfying to her, particularly because it was done correctly for her,and my grilled seafood platter was succulent. The menu is not overdone, but there is still plenty of South African variety. There is great balance in the menu. (It often is a bit quieter on Monday night) The ambiance and decor are just wonderful. This is an upscale location with all the trimmings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodSingerDined on 10/19/2014We went for Sunday lunch and found that menu was "brunch" (breakfast items) and the dinner menu instead of lunch menu. Don't really think the prices should be 'jacked up' for Sunday lunch. All the steaks were 8 oz which would be too much for children. The food was excellent, but the wait time after ordering until we received our food was exceptionally long. The wait staff refilled one drink and had to be asked to refill the others. We ate on the patio because the noise level was less, and we enjoyed hearing the fountain in neighboring patio. I would not recommend it for families for Sunday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatxxxxxDined on 10/18/2014We took two out-of-town guests. Service was great, food was great!Special Features: