New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://peelsnyc.com/
- Phone: 6466027015
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am to 4:00pm
Late Afternoon: Daily: 4:00pn to 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm to 11:30pm
Breakfast: Daily: 7:30am to 11:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Preston & Ginger Madson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Peels
Regional American Restaurant and Bakery in New York City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Peels reviews from OpenTable diners
- Awesome brunch placegvcaldaVIPDined on 1/20/2014Fried chicken biscuit with bacon, egg, cheese, and red eye gravy. And the jalapeno grits. You will be satisfied til 8pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just for the Apps Alone!MockChefDined on 1/14/2014I've been to Peels twice. I was lured in by the Peels Sundae featured in Unique Sweets on the Cooking Channel. It lives up to the rep. I'm a foodie on a budget and I'll order a bunch of sides or appetizers and share. I get more bang for my buck and I'll have room to make it to dessert! I have yet to make it to the main meal at Peels! The cheese curds, brussel sprouts, deviled eggs, tuna tartare with homemade tasso chips, and the corn dogs with in-house made sausage are more than enough to share with a party of 3 and have enough room to make it to dessert. Order the sundae. It is not to be missed. I plan on bringing my closest friends so I can order the same meal with no judgements!Special Features:
- Great restaurant, great ambiance,erinDined on 1/12/2014Great restaurant, great ambiance, great food. The service was really slow but I think it was just our waitor. I would still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country style cooking at its finestEating2liveDined on 12/30/2013Our group of 4 visited Peels based on a friend recommendation - and we were really glad that we did! The food is southern inspired and my shrimp and grits were amazing. We were seated on the 2nd floor - ambience is wonderful, lots of natural lighting and the booth seats were spacious with a lovely kitchen set up for a bar - felt like we were eating in someone else's kitchen! Has a very homey feel with fantastic homey tasting food. A really nice brunch place. will go back again when in town!Special Features:
- Quick noteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/30/2013Brunch was pleasant but I was underwhelmed by the food as it compared to the prices. The establishment itself was very nice and well-maintained.Special Features:
- Good breakfast placeStomperDined on 12/30/2013Although limited menu, the food was excellent and the homemade biscuit was delicious. Nice trendy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely amazing!!brunchDined on 12/26/2013Beautiful restaurant with friendly servers and great food. Would recommend to anyone coming to nyc. I came here for brunch and I would most definitely come back, the fruit salad is delicious and fresh of course and the bacon is like nome you've ever had!Special Features:
- Great BrunchStevesCornerDined on 12/21/2013Brunch menu is really good. The venue itself is very lovely to look at. Cocktails were delish as was the food. The manager bought over a chocolate brownie for me with a candle in it as it was my Birthday which was a great touch. Our server was a bit distant most of the time. Didn't wow me with great service, he was good but seemed offish. Tried to banter with him but perhaps that was lost in translation? He also seemed a bit bemused when I, personally, ordered so much food, I was hungry! I would definately revisit this venue for brunch, it is right on the edge of the Greenwich Village district which was handy! Really nice atmosphere, reasonably priced, good food, good service in overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food fantastic / service spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/18/2013deliciuos dinner! the shrimp & grits and brussels were yummy! the service was spotty - we waited a while for anyone to take drink order and then dinner order...we had 3 different servers as well??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home Cooking at Its BestLGeatsVIPDined on 12/13/2013We went to Peels for a group dinner. Most of us ordered the fried chicken or the shrimp and grits. Both were really tasty with great flavors. The fried chicken was a little greasy but it is fried so that is to be expected. The brioche biscuits that came with a cherry compotes were outstanding. The place is homey with an energetic feel. It is a great place to go a small or large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After trying to make resosOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/9/2013After trying to make resos at Peels for a long time, I finally got in but it was a Monday morning. It was obviously quiet, which I didn't mind. Definitely get the shrimp and grits if you're a fan of the dish. One of the best I've had and I'm from the DEEP South. Everything else we had at our table was delicious but my friend said the Spa Eggs were a little tasteless. I can't wait to go back otherwise.Special Features:
- Nice BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/8/2013Got together with a group of 7 friends for brunch and everyone was happy with my pick! Reservation was ready as soon as we arrive and none reservation crowd was building at 12:15. We all got savory dishes like farmers breakfast (she said the bacon was fatty but some people like it), spa eggs(both loved), tuna salad, and turkey sandwich with delicious chips (plates were cleared off for both sandwiches). We did not have cocktails but have had them in the past and Bloody Mary was good. The atmosphere is cute, homey and quaint, love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch on boweryKikonicoDined on 12/7/2013Peels provides homely ambience and good food for a solid breakfast/brunch. We had pancakes (very soft and very good jam) , eggs&bacon (eggs well prepared, good bacon, however hash browns were too oily for my taste). Went on a Saturday morning, place was quiet and enjoyable, service was good - they were friendly, even though the place was empty we got warned that we were late on our reservation, which we were - fair enough.Special Features:
- I'll be back.keepitcominDined on 12/6/2013As usual at Peel's I always feel that I spent a little more than I expected. Also as usual, the service was super attentive, the drinks were excellent and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Dinner was disappointing,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2013Dinner was disappointing, everything was surprisingly super salty of the 5 dishes ordered. We were dehydrated the rest of the evening. Super heavy handed with the salt. Lack of authentic flavor. I have been here for brunch and it's always been a great great spot, extending to dinner was a mistake. I'd say stick to brunch & you will be happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great breakfast/brunchDanMVIPDined on 11/29/2013Nice place with good breakfast and brunch. A little crowded but comfortable enough to still be enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a perfect spot forAnnaJDined on 11/28/2013This was a perfect spot for a lovely thanksgiving meal! The food was great, ambience was wonderful - festive but not overboard. It felt special but not overly costly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up I guessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2013The appetizer was good. The mashed potatoes were good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2013Fantastic brunch spot; beautiful decor and affordable prices. Fried chicken!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many people say Peels is overrated,auuuzDined on 11/16/2013Many people say Peels is overrated, and though it may be, my group got in quickly (had a reservation), had a very nice server, and had great food for brunch! We shared the cinnamon sugar donuts which were amazing and the majority of us got the biscuits and sausage gravy with a poached egg on top. Was it the best I've ever had? No. But I was very satisfied and we all had a great time. Peels is just one of those places where the ambience will always make up for the food.Special Features:
- DisappointedDiningNYC5Dined on 11/15/2013I've been to Peels once before and loved the drinks and the food. So when friends came from out of town, I recommended we go there. I don't know whether there is a new chef, but the food (and the drinks) were not good. The chicken was too fried, the shrimp was okay, and the cocktails tasted odd. The servers were lovely and ambiance was great, but the food was pretty bad.
- Food was glorious and staffdiagonalpalmshiftVIPDined on 11/13/2013Food was glorious and staff was excellent. Great atmosphere and not too noisy.Special Features:
- PeelingcofeDined on 11/5/2013Esta bien! El lugar es muy ameno y de atención muy amigable, bien el Barman y la comida! En el primer piso mejor que en PB! Volveremos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeLICGuestVIPDined on 11/2/2013Peels doesn't have healthy food, but what it does have makes you feel really good. Absolutely, hands down, get the fried chicken. You won't regret it.Special Features:
- Good food bad serviceKaitDined on 11/2/2013Food was great! The cheese curds are heavenly. The problem is the service. It was at least 10 minutes before anyone can to take out drink order and we placed app order at same time. Apps came first within 5 minutes and we were still waiting on drinks. Finally got the after 20 minutes. Then ordered food when drinks came. Food came out almost too quick. We had barely finished the apps. We felt very rushed by the food timing but then had these very long waits when we never saw our waiter. A couple next to us also had bad service. They waited for 10 minutes after sitting down. When no one came, they got up and left. Love the food but not sure the service and experience are worth it.Special Features:
- Pre Public TheatreJoan1009Dined on 10/24/2013What a find! Went before 7:30 curtain at the Public Theatre. Got us in and out on time with no sense of rush. Staff incredible nice and knowledgeable. Found a new American gin. Space beautiful. I thought a tad expensive, but turned out to be worth the money.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a great breakfast/brunchTimothyDined on 10/19/2013Enjoyed a great breakfast/brunch at Peels. The place is charming and the service was wonderful. The build a biscuit will be the best you've ever had. Saturday morning wasn't to busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get past the hostessesllllVIPDined on 10/18/2013We have been here twice and both times the hostesses' attitudes left us wondering if we should stay. They gave us the impression that we were putting them out. They said our table was not ready, made us wait, then seated us at a table that had been vacant and set the whole time. Also, they sent us upstairs to have a drink at the bar when there was clearly no room up there. The food was very good. Loved the deep fried cheese curds with jalapeno mayo. Wow, way to go. Taking a perfectly awful food and making it great. Lots of comfort food. Very good.Special Features:
- Er...SalzburgDined on 10/17/2013The menu has very little choice and was way to expensive for what they were offering. Then the food was mediocre at best. The service was totally awkward. Staff was very very nice, but then nothing came in the right order. Took hours to get a drink and the waiter just smiled And said he knew we were waiting. Even the bartender had no instincts about service. service timing was so off. This place is a great looking spot but they really need a whole new staff and menu. I'll be surprised if they are still open in a year. I see it very busy at brunch- maybe it's better then. I wouldn't return.
- Everything we ordered wasFoodeeeeeVIPDined on 10/8/2013Everything we ordered was tasty; had the right balance of flavors. Our waiter was excellent too.Special Features:
- 9am BreakfastChicagoansDined on 10/5/2013Wow. This area is a bit dead on Saturday mornings to our surprise. The food at Peels, however, was not. It was great! My sister and I got the Shrimp and Grits. It was delicious! I always feel like places under spice this amazing dish. Peels did not disappoint. It was seasoned to perfection. We chose to eat outside. the patio furniture was a bit lack luster, but we didn't mind too much. We enjoyed the nice weather while we were there. The service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner at PeelsSeanoNYCVIPDined on 10/4/2013Ten friends and I went to Peels this weekend to celebrate a birthday. It was a fantastic choice! Starting with cocktails at the downstairs bar and continuing through dinner and dessert upstairs, everything was stellar. (There was one minor hiccup with our large reservation, but it was resolved quickly.) The food is comfortable. And outstanding. The meatloaf and fried chicken were true hits. The size of the cod did not measure up. Service was amazing! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indifferent food but beautiful restElGuapo1VIPDined on 10/2/2013I'd been once before and had liked my meal then. This time around, everything was indifferent, with the exception of the cocktails, which were quite good. The food -- tuna tartare, deviled eggs, fried chicken, meatloaf, brussel sprouts and donut bread pudding -- was serviceable but nothing I'll remember in a week's time. The coffee/sprinkles ice cream with the bread pudding was a relative stand-out. Our waiter was perfunctory and, like the food, adequate without being noteworthy. The restaurant remains beautiful.Special Features:
- A great group dining restaurantWallyDined on 9/28/2013A great group dining restaurant with great service, but the food was alright.Special Features:
- DisappointingJulesDined on 9/27/2013Had brunch here & decided to try dinner since I loved the food & ambiance. Unfortunately, I left unsatisfied, as did my entire party of 4. I shared a few of appetizers with friends. Cheese curds were greasy & unpleasant to eat...even the mayo it was served with didn't help. We left most behind. Country pate was ok relative to everything else but I've had better at places with reputations far worse. The brussel sprouts were boring & the deviled eggs were just fine. My friend had the meat loaf which I tried...again another boring, sub par disappointment and I truly have a passion for meatloaf. My other friend ordered the vegetable tartlet & left some of it behind...enough said as he was starving. We didn't bother with dessert or anything else
- Peels always delivers. TookKellyEatsManhattanDined on 9/23/2013Peels always delivers. Took a large group here and the ambience was perfect. Started at the bar with their incredible craft cocktails (I got the NY Shrub before switching to my go-to Old Fashioned). The friendly hostesses helped us order appetizers to the table, so when we walked upstairs, we were greeted by a table with a beautiful tray of oysters, fried green tomatoes, Parker House loafs and more. Most of us orders either the famed fried chicken or the steak. Everything was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time with great foodSlou23Dined on 9/22/2013Second time at Peels and will definitely head there more often. Service was good, food was good, and had a great time there with good friends. Highly recommend but please make a reservation for brunch.Special Features:
- Excellent Spot!PShivesDined on 9/22/2013Great food, great service, great atmosphere. Came with a group and we had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was GREAT! We had theRBNYCVIPDined on 9/20/2013Food was GREAT! We had the fried green tomatoes to start and while they were not the Southern style I was used to growing up in the South they were good. I had the chili which was outstanding and something I would order again in a second and my husband had the secret burger which he really liked - not his favorite burger but he said it was very good. My only complaint is that the waiter was not very attentive, we had to get his attention twice and we generally prefer not to have someone who hovers but this guy, although super nice, just wasn't paying any attention at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most reliable lunchspot in the hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/3/2013If i have a semi-serious business lunch, I always go to Peels. It offers the perfect mix of East-Village vibe with a slightly hip clientele and a good, varied menu. The Tasso potato chips alone are worth the walk, but I've never had a guest order something they didn't like. It's a bit too sunny and noisy to eat outside on Second Avenue, so stick to the side street if you want to dine al fresco. I love the bright, sunny space upstairs, certainly over the more cramped and noisy downstairs.Special Features: