283 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3B2Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wowhospitality.ca/
- Phone: (204) 989-7700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary European, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Tristan Foucault
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Since we are closed on Sundays and Mondays, we may be able to provide private dining service on these days in the Dining Room. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Doug Stephen 2049897700
A word from Peasant Cookery
Peasant Cookery is located in the heart of Winnipeg, a food lover´s city. Providing our customers with fresh food, flavours and recipes is at the heart of what we do. Our passion for researching current food trends and updating our menus with unique ingredients has kept us at the forefront of the healthy food movement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Peasant Cookery - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Peasant Cookery reviews from OpenTable diners
162 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)special occasion (76)romantic (67)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (50)great for lunch (45)notable wine list (29)scenic view (26)great for outdoor dining (24)hot spot (22)late-night find (20)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Adish for everyoneyehaDined on 11/26/2014My sister was in town from Vancouver and we took her to Peasant Cookery for dinner. Although not dauntingly extensive, the menu held wonderful choices for all of us. My brother declared the oysters the best he'd ever had. My sister was thrilled to see tourtiere and onion soup on the menu as they brought back fond memories of her days in Winnipeg. The meat pie in particular was spiced very closely to the one my mother used to make. The pickerel "Fish and Sticks" disappeared from the plate and my trout was delicious and light (which allowed me to savour the chocolate pot de creme). The staff was attentive but not obtrusive. Altogether a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/25/2014We had dinner before the theatre and really appreciated the great service, The atmosphere is casual and comfortable. The food was very good. We both had the tortiere and really enjoyed it. Will go again and try something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmilyDined on 11/22/2014The food was great, tasty and well presented. The service was excellent and our waitress was personable with great customer service skills. Would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No peasant food here!amethyst3Dined on 11/19/2014Have gone to this restaurant a couple of times recently in November and July 2014. Love the booth tables, open, elegant decor and window views. Service is attentive and professional. Went on Wednesday evening for oyster special, which isn't advertised on the restaurant's website. Heard through word-of-mouth from a friend that it's a buck a shuck. Oysters were fresh; we had eight but could have easily eaten more. We ordered two other appetizers: beet salad and mussels. Both complimented the oysters well along with the Riesling. Although the mussels were well flavoured, they were much smaller than those we have had at other restaurants in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014our server went above and beyond to make our first visit extra special!!....but of course the food was very exceptional!. We definitely will return (on Oyster wednesdays) and hope our server is still there! sorry can't remember his name, but tall guy, with beard (salt/pepper look),Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdShredderDined on 11/15/2014What a great evening. Menu is not expansive but everything on it is worthy of consideration. I don't think there is a weak item on the menu. There were six of us and all loved their meal. Victoria our server was outstanding, very attentive and the place was hopping. The brisket was outstanding. The Homemade Guinness ice cream with bread pudding is fantastic. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visittmcfDined on 11/13/2014We were here a few weeks ago for a pre-theatre meal, and came back for another this week. I had the roast chicken the first time and really enjoyed it. My wife had the mussels for her main course, but found it wasn't quite enough food (it's listed as an appetizer). This time I had the tourtiere (the cheapest main course on the menu). It was very good - the filling was moist with good flavour, and the pastry was light. My wife had the chicken but didn't it as much as I did (she didn't like the tangy topping). It's a very open restaurant, so it's not quiet, but the noise level wasn't oppressive. From my seat I actually had a good view of the Richardson building, which was kind of neat. We found the service to be attentive and competent but not annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience we had, awesome awPei2ManDined on 11/10/2014awesome food with great wine choices rerendjknzkxmcojsdhnjsdznfnlcvmn.zxmcnvlkjasdncvljnaskldfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ByronFalkVIPDined on 11/9/2014Repeat visits, and never disappointing. Food is always above average. Service to match. The hostess, which has been the same friendly, endearing lady nearly every time makes it worth it. Beer selection is one of the best, and a wine list to match. Will never turn down an opportunity to visit.Special Features:
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We've used Peasant Cookery as our go-to restaurant in the exchange district. We were going to the WSO and of course picked Peasant Cookery. Service very slow, notwithstanding it wasn't full - food was lack lustre this time. Menu hasn't changed in some time, but while i typically like the food, some different dinners or specials would be nice.Special Features:
- noisy not a date restaurantiruserDined on 11/7/2014The food was as advertised charcuterie was delicious. The room was nicely decorated. The room was very loud. This is not a romantic date restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theatre experienceTallyHoThomasDined on 11/3/2014A lovely experience..service was good. Greeted by hostess who was full of smiles and our waiter was attentive.. Just had a 1/2 litre of wine with meal..Cabernet Sauv/Merlot was delicious..starters were delicious..charcuterie and warm beet salad!! Mains of lamb meat balls and red trout were a little salty though we don't add salt to any meals at home so that could be the issue..great start to a great evening..Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/3/2014There wereally numerous dishe's on the menu that were very tempting, and the service was wonderful. Unfortunately, the dishes were not described well, leading us to some disappointment. First, my husband had the pork with a side of mac & cheese. The pork was delicious but the mac & cheese had an overwhelming taste of nutmeg, not mentioned, and frankly inedible. They generously replaced this with mashed potatoes, however they were infused with horseradish. Again, there was no mention of this and it was not to our liking. Howevee the coffee & dessert made up for all of it. If you like a tart & tangy flavor, you'll love the deconstructed sheep cheesecake with sour cherry sorbe and short bread cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious LunchgoodeaterVIPDined on 11/3/2014Were visiting from out of town and enjoyed a great lunch here. Highly recommend the charcuterie platter. Setting is lovely, and location is near some fun shops.Special Features:
- nicknameDined on 10/24/2014The Peasant Cookery makes all of their own pickles and displays their canned products throughout the dinning room, which I thought was interesting and nice. Our meals were tasty and presented nicely. On Wednesdays they have a "buck a shuck" oyster night that I am looking forward to trying out. The ambiance is excellent and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent-delicious-inviting!LodgieDined on 10/20/2014Warm fall squash soup was excellent. Beet Salad is the BEST in city. Rich & Carley always make you feel welcomedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come BackNiteDined on 10/17/2014Nice change to the menu. There were no specials. In the past the specials were wonderful. I'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say No To The SpiceMishiDined on 10/14/2014This is my second visit. The first time I was wowed. This time I struggled to get through my meal. My friend and I split the cheese board. Good cheese, sad board. Then had the mussels and fries. The sauce that night had tarragon and that's all we could taste. Would not order the mussels again. Then we had the Berkshire Pork. Pork was cooked perfectly with a great sauce. Loved the Brussel sprouts. The Mac n cheese, was awful. Over powered by what tasted like it was topped with cloves? The under part was bland. We didn't risk dessert. Not sure I would go back. Our server was average. The hostess really great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of go to restaurantsSATMUIRDined on 10/14/2014I am a repeat diner The Peasant Cookery and love it. Staff is warm and friendly and the food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing peasant about this placeEateverydayDined on 10/12/2014Good food - really helpful service and a relaxed casual atmosphere. We went last minute on a Sunday night and nothing was too much trouble. Prices were reasonable and the menu was interesting.Special Features:
- group of five for dinnermel123Dined on 10/5/2014Menu is creative, oysters were very good as was the full meals. Good wine selection and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best meal I ever had!spot1Dined on 10/4/2014Your menu is amazing; such a variety of tastes and textures - unique I would say. Adored the flavourful tourtiere, charcuterie, beet salad and bread. The fries were just right, not soggy, not dry, not too salty. Seating is ideal for intimate groups and well disposed for the area. Interesting window jars and farm ornamental animals which adds a lovely touch to the decor. Our server was friendly, funny, very efficient and attentive. All in all a most excellent experience, and will definitely recommend Peasant Cookery to friends and family. Thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Vegetarian QuickiesatiateDined on 10/3/2014I normally come for charcuterie or oysters. This evening I was with a vegetarian friend and we shared the aged cheddar gnocchi and vino and it was perfect. We were limited with time as we were heading to the ballet and the server accommodated us without hesitation. With friendly service, tasty dish and the short walk to the concert hall, it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BakerDined on 10/1/2014Basket of bread was lacking taste and not sure what the spread was!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had been here once before and had such a pleasurable experience we decided to go back with our friends from Ontario were visiting. We were not disappointed again. When we arrived the hostess greeted us by name which was great, sets up a very warm and friendly atmosphere. She took us directly to our table with no wait. The food and the service were outstanding! The waitress we had looking after us was fantastic and her knowledge of the menu and how each item was prepared was second to none, very impressive. She was very attentive but not to the point it was too much...just right. We would highly recommend this establishment to others.Special Features:
- GuinnessDined on 9/27/2014I dined with a group totalling 6 people. We started with some appetizers, one of which was the mussels and fries. The appetizer was good. I proceeded to order the spagetini with mussels & sausage. I was disappointed that the main course that I chose was exactly the same sauce as the appetizer. I thought that the main would be a different flavor and sauce and to me, it felt like I had had the exact food twice with just an addition of spagetini with a small piece of sausage. I suggest that if the sauces are exactly the same, it should either be written on the menu or told to the customer by the server. This was my 3rd time at this restaurant, and I will definitely go again, however I will question the server for more details for clarity.Special Features:
- Great tourtiere.northstarshoedivaDined on 9/19/2014Service was very attentive. Waited about 5o minutes for our food though. Had spaghettini with chorizo and mussels. Mussels were sandy. They took them off our bill and provided us with flutes of sparkling wine. Tourtiere was delicious--very authentic. Would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to place downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Consistently good food and excellent attentive and knowledgable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great footkateDined on 9/16/2014Great food. Service needs work. We waited a ridiculously long time for every little thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Highly recommend! The food was delicious and the service fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BardkaDined on 9/13/2014The food and service were outstanding. It was very noisy as there were a couple of large groups of people. This significantly detracted from our 'date night'. We loved the venue but found the acoustics to be lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute favorite place to goCianDined on 9/10/2014Everything from the ambiance to the food is top notch here. And for a price that won't break the bank - and for that reason ($$/benefit) I think this is the best place in the city.Special Features:
- WOWNonsterDined on 9/9/2014The Peasant's Cookery is part of the WOW hospitality group (529 Wellington, Los Chicos, Muddy Waters etc.). I had the pleasure of having a conversation with the owner about 18 months ago and he got me very excited about Peasant's Cookery with his description of the concept and the focus on local and seasonal ingredients. It took me 18 months to get there and it was worth the wait...I had the fresh oysters on the 1/2 shell with a shallot mignionette and the beef tartar to start, both were great. My main was the Lamb Meatballs with a featured wine from Portugal (bottle was half price for $30) and the pairing was excellent. Can't wait for the next opportunity to go (TIP: If you like oysters, Wednesdays feature $1 Oysters on the 1/2 shell)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service. Wonderful old buildingSpecial Features:
- We always go backlovethatsauceDined on 9/5/2014We have had dinner several times, lunch several times and eaten in the bar when the restaurant was full. Each time was very enjoyable. The food is excellent and the service commendable. We have never been able to get onto the patio (full; bad weather) so we'll have to try our luck at reserving a spot before winter sets in. We have enjoyed spending time with friends at Peasant as well as dining as a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot, food okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014I had heard great things about Peasant Cookery, but was underwhelmed by our dining experience. All of the staff did an excellent job, and the atmosphere was wonderful. The downfall was the food. Both my husband and I found our meals a little bland and plain. It could have just been the meals we ordered (Mussel and Chorizo Spaghettini and the Butchers choice pork special) but I left feeling as though I could have made the same dinner for ourselves, although dessert was very good. We will try once more because we really appreciated the knowledgeable and attentive service......maybe it was an off day in the kitchen.Special Features:
- A great start to an evening.RosieDined on 8/27/2014And here we thought that the show was going to be the hilight of the night. The food was wonderful and flavourful. Great menu and great wine. The brisket was so tasty. I had been before and again was not disappointed.Special Features:
- mwenDined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed the workers and atmosphere. I'd recommend it. Really enjoyed the lamb meatballs.Special Features:
- DisappointedEatOutAlotDined on 8/26/2014I enjoy taking out-of-town guests to the market district of downtown Winnipeg, the area is interesting. Peasant Cookery has been my choice several times, but I have been disappointed each time by some aspects of the dining experience. The food was hit and miss. The fish meal flavours and preparation were sub-par. However, the pork meal was excellent. On the short wine menu, 2 of our selections were not available. The calamari was poor. I'm not sure I am prepared to give this restaurant another chance.Special Features:
- lagourman2Dined on 8/25/2014great food (especially beet salad, calamari, and fabulous charcuterie platter!...oh and to-die-for maple sugar pie and chevre cheesecake!...although we thought the accompanying berry sorbet didn't show either to their best advantage. Perhaps something less sour?), interesting well thought-out wine list, comfortable warm ambiance, lovely neighbourhood...the bill at the end of the meal was a bit more than we'd wanted to spend, but everyone agreed that it was worth it. One little recommendation: update alcohol menu to reflect digestifs available in the bar (Cognac, Calvados, Courvoisier, etc.)...and add an eau de vie!Special Features: