283 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3B2Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wowhospitality.ca/
- Phone: 2049897700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary European, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Tristan Foucault
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Since we are closed on Sundays and Mondays, we may be able to provide private dining service on these days in the Dining Room. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Doug Stephen 2049897700
A word from Peasant Cookery
Peasant Cookery is located in the heart of Winnipeg, a food lover´s city. Providing our customers with fresh food, flavours and recipes is at the heart of what we do. Our passion for researching current food trends and updating our menus with unique ingredients has kept us at the forefront of the healthy food movement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Peasant Cookery - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Peasant Cookery reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (59)romantic (53)good for groups (43)great for lunch (36)great for outdoor dining (30)notable wine list (25)scenic view (21)hot spot (20)late-night find (17)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- nicknameDined on 10/24/2014The Peasant Cookery makes all of their own pickles and displays their canned products throughout the dinning room, which I thought was interesting and nice. Our meals were tasty and presented nicely. On Wednesdays they have a "buck a shuck" oyster night that I am looking forward to trying out. The ambiance is excellent and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent-delicious-inviting!LodgieDined on 10/20/2014Warm fall squash soup was excellent. Beet Salad is the BEST in city. Rich & Carley always make you feel welcomedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come BackNiteDined on 10/17/2014Nice change to the menu. There were no specials. In the past the specials were wonderful. I'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say No To The SpiceMishiDined on 10/14/2014This is my second visit. The first time I was wowed. This time I struggled to get through my meal. My friend and I split the cheese board. Good cheese, sad board. Then had the mussels and fries. The sauce that night had tarragon and that's all we could taste. Would not order the mussels again. Then we had the Berkshire Pork. Pork was cooked perfectly with a great sauce. Loved the Brussel sprouts. The Mac n cheese, was awful. Over powered by what tasted like it was topped with cloves? The under part was bland. We didn't risk dessert. Not sure I would go back. Our server was average. The hostess really great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of go to restaurantsSATMUIRDined on 10/14/2014I am a repeat diner The Peasant Cookery and love it. Staff is warm and friendly and the food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing peasant about this placeEateverydayDined on 10/12/2014Good food - really helpful service and a relaxed casual atmosphere. We went last minute on a Sunday night and nothing was too much trouble. Prices were reasonable and the menu was interesting.Special Features:
- group of five for dinnermel123Dined on 10/5/2014Menu is creative, oysters were very good as was the full meals. Good wine selection and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best meal I ever had!spot1Dined on 10/4/2014Your menu is amazing; such a variety of tastes and textures - unique I would say. Adored the flavourful tourtiere, charcuterie, beet salad and bread. The fries were just right, not soggy, not dry, not too salty. Seating is ideal for intimate groups and well disposed for the area. Interesting window jars and farm ornamental animals which adds a lovely touch to the decor. Our server was friendly, funny, very efficient and attentive. All in all a most excellent experience, and will definitely recommend Peasant Cookery to friends and family. Thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Vegetarian QuickiesatiateDined on 10/3/2014I normally come for charcuterie or oysters. This evening I was with a vegetarian friend and we shared the aged cheddar gnocchi and vino and it was perfect. We were limited with time as we were heading to the ballet and the server accommodated us without hesitation. With friendly service, tasty dish and the short walk to the concert hall, it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BakerDined on 10/1/2014Basket of bread was lacking taste and not sure what the spread was!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had been here once before and had such a pleasurable experience we decided to go back with our friends from Ontario were visiting. We were not disappointed again. When we arrived the hostess greeted us by name which was great, sets up a very warm and friendly atmosphere. She took us directly to our table with no wait. The food and the service were outstanding! The waitress we had looking after us was fantastic and her knowledge of the menu and how each item was prepared was second to none, very impressive. She was very attentive but not to the point it was too much...just right. We would highly recommend this establishment to others.Special Features:
- GuinnessDined on 9/27/2014I dined with a group totalling 6 people. We started with some appetizers, one of which was the mussels and fries. The appetizer was good. I proceeded to order the spagetini with mussels & sausage. I was disappointed that the main course that I chose was exactly the same sauce as the appetizer. I thought that the main would be a different flavor and sauce and to me, it felt like I had had the exact food twice with just an addition of spagetini with a small piece of sausage. I suggest that if the sauces are exactly the same, it should either be written on the menu or told to the customer by the server. This was my 3rd time at this restaurant, and I will definitely go again, however I will question the server for more details for clarity.Special Features:
- Great tourtiere.northstarshoedivaDined on 9/19/2014Service was very attentive. Waited about 5o minutes for our food though. Had spaghettini with chorizo and mussels. Mussels were sandy. They took them off our bill and provided us with flutes of sparkling wine. Tourtiere was delicious--very authentic. Would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to place downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Consistently good food and excellent attentive and knowledgable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great footkateDined on 9/16/2014Great food. Service needs work. We waited a ridiculously long time for every little thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Highly recommend! The food was delicious and the service fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BardkaDined on 9/13/2014The food and service were outstanding. It was very noisy as there were a couple of large groups of people. This significantly detracted from our 'date night'. We loved the venue but found the acoustics to be lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute favorite place to goCianDined on 9/10/2014Everything from the ambiance to the food is top notch here. And for a price that won't break the bank - and for that reason ($$/benefit) I think this is the best place in the city.Special Features:
- WOWNonsterDined on 9/9/2014The Peasant's Cookery is part of the WOW hospitality group (529 Wellington, Los Chicos, Muddy Waters etc.). I had the pleasure of having a conversation with the owner about 18 months ago and he got me very excited about Peasant's Cookery with his description of the concept and the focus on local and seasonal ingredients. It took me 18 months to get there and it was worth the wait...I had the fresh oysters on the 1/2 shell with a shallot mignionette and the beef tartar to start, both were great. My main was the Lamb Meatballs with a featured wine from Portugal (bottle was half price for $30) and the pairing was excellent. Can't wait for the next opportunity to go (TIP: If you like oysters, Wednesdays feature $1 Oysters on the 1/2 shell)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service. Wonderful old buildingSpecial Features:
- We always go backlovethatsauceDined on 9/5/2014We have had dinner several times, lunch several times and eaten in the bar when the restaurant was full. Each time was very enjoyable. The food is excellent and the service commendable. We have never been able to get onto the patio (full; bad weather) so we'll have to try our luck at reserving a spot before winter sets in. We have enjoyed spending time with friends at Peasant as well as dining as a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot, food okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014I had heard great things about Peasant Cookery, but was underwhelmed by our dining experience. All of the staff did an excellent job, and the atmosphere was wonderful. The downfall was the food. Both my husband and I found our meals a little bland and plain. It could have just been the meals we ordered (Mussel and Chorizo Spaghettini and the Butchers choice pork special) but I left feeling as though I could have made the same dinner for ourselves, although dessert was very good. We will try once more because we really appreciated the knowledgeable and attentive service......maybe it was an off day in the kitchen.Special Features:
- A great start to an evening.RosieDined on 8/27/2014And here we thought that the show was going to be the hilight of the night. The food was wonderful and flavourful. Great menu and great wine. The brisket was so tasty. I had been before and again was not disappointed.Special Features:
- mwenDined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed the workers and atmosphere. I'd recommend it. Really enjoyed the lamb meatballs.Special Features:
- DisappointedEatOutAlotDined on 8/26/2014I enjoy taking out-of-town guests to the market district of downtown Winnipeg, the area is interesting. Peasant Cookery has been my choice several times, but I have been disappointed each time by some aspects of the dining experience. The food was hit and miss. The fish meal flavours and preparation were sub-par. However, the pork meal was excellent. On the short wine menu, 2 of our selections were not available. The calamari was poor. I'm not sure I am prepared to give this restaurant another chance.Special Features:
- lagourman2Dined on 8/25/2014great food (especially beet salad, calamari, and fabulous charcuterie platter!...oh and to-die-for maple sugar pie and chevre cheesecake!...although we thought the accompanying berry sorbet didn't show either to their best advantage. Perhaps something less sour?), interesting well thought-out wine list, comfortable warm ambiance, lovely neighbourhood...the bill at the end of the meal was a bit more than we'd wanted to spend, but everyone agreed that it was worth it. One little recommendation: update alcohol menu to reflect digestifs available in the bar (Cognac, Calvados, Courvoisier, etc.)...and add an eau de vie!Special Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 8/25/2014The food was delicious. The portion was very large but it was so good that I ate it all. It would be nice if the menu had half sizes as well for the smaller appetites. The staff was friendly and very professional. I found the prices very reasonable. I would definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffroDined on 8/24/2014Nice selection of wines, beers and non-alcoholic stuff for the younger or non-imbibing set. Menu offered ample choices and what we had (Poutine, Mahi Mahi and Gnocchi) was all excellent. Drinks took way took long to arrive as did the return of our server to take our dinner orders, perhaps because it was a busy night. We'd go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- neveragainDined on 8/24/2014We were disappointed in the experience since we heard good thing when it first opened. The multiple waiters were obsessed with pouring water and once poured water into my glass of sparkling water. Both meals were mediocre. Service was slow. Appetizers took 45 minutes. Dinner arrived well over an hour after being seated.
- Great nightIwannagooutDined on 8/22/2014Great from start to finish. Our server was attentive and never let our glasses get empty. Our appetizers were delish and our main courses were beautifully presented flavourful and a perfect portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peasant CookeryfeedbackDined on 8/22/2014The service was attentive. The waiter checked whether we were having dinner before a concert hall show and was great about keeping things on time. The charcuterie board was impressive. We had the lamb meatballs and the trout. Both were very good but my partner and I were both left feeling that we were glad we had gone but weren't particularly motivated to come back. I've been in the lounge before and would happily return there for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!AudgeDined on 8/22/2014Our lunch experience was great. Our server, Leah, was super nice and we received our food quickly - and on a Friday at lunch yet! The food was amazing! We tried a number of different dishes (gnocchi, burger, orzo, poutine) and it was all delicious. The pickled beans were a flavorful surprise! We will definitely come back to Peasant Cookery again.Special Features:
- Wonderful suppersuz44444Dined on 8/21/2014We dined at Peasant on a Thursday evening for our anniversary. Everything about our experience there was smooth and pleasant. We were greeted promptly at the door and made to feel welcome. The food was tasty and hot and our servers were pleasant and made time to chat. My husband ordered the tourtière which he thoroughly enjoyed and I had the chicken which was prepared to perfection. Overall, this is a great place to go for an outing. Thanks to the staff.Special Features:
- PoppyPopDined on 8/21/2014Disappointed with Mahi Mahi which was overdone. Excellent appetizer (mussels and fries) done perfectly in an excellent creamy liquid. Good advice from Sommelier, along with an excellent wine selection. Enjoyed the evening after theatre, but found the menu a little short. A little surprised that much of the selection was not as "local" as expected. Will return!Special Features:
- A Great TimejohnstonDined on 8/19/2014Punctiliously served. attention to detail. Excellent food.Special Features:
- just okCindy52Dined on 8/16/2014The food was average. My husband had the pork chop and it was overcooked and dry. I had the brisket which as well was dry and the potato salad that was to accompany the dish was hardly visible. The calamari starter was very average which was a surprise. I thought perhaps the calamari would be given a bit of a different presentation or a less generic preparation. This is second and last time we will dine here. Far too many other choices out there.
- A Neighborhood StandbyexchangedistrictresidentDined on 8/16/2014We love this restaurant and since we live just two blocks away go there frequently and often bring guests. Always have a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flavourless food / amazing server.iMissFatAngelDeliDined on 8/16/2014The server we had was perfect. ...the food was beyond underwhelming. Steamed and flopped on a plate veggies and lackluster flavors for the proteins. On paper the menu items sound tasty and we had hoped for the best. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Get the beef tartare!numnumnumnumDined on 8/15/2014Everything that we had was good; the beef tartare was exceptional with capers, pickles and smoked egg yolk. I also had the trout served whole which was succulent. Absinthe and bourbon cocktail has kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerVCdiningDined on 8/15/2014We had a fantastic dinner for two on a Friday night. I had the pork belly feature and the mussels. Both spectacular. My partner had the half chicken dinner and said it was likely the best chicken she's ever had at a restaurant. The service was impeccable. Not overbearing but always there when you needed something. Staff was also knowledgeable regarding the menu which we did have questions about. It was hard to choose. We were full after our entrees and declined dessert but because our waiter was aware of the special occasion he brought us a creme brûlée to share...on the house. It was a great evening. Above and beyond what I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.