283 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3B2Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.wowhospitality.ca/
- Phone: 2049897700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary European, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Tristan Foucault
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Since we are closed on Sundays and Mondays, we may be able to provide private dining service on these days in the Dining Room. Please call for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Doug Stephen 2049897700
A word from Peasant Cookery
Peasant Cookery is located in the heart of Winnipeg, a food lover´s city. Providing our customers with fresh food, flavours and recipes is at the heart of what we do. Our passion for researching current food trends and updating our menus with unique ingredients has kept us at the forefront of the healthy food movement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Peasant Cookery - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Peasant Cookery reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (76)special occasion (69)romantic (59)great for lunch (43)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (42)scenic view (30)notable wine list (29)late-night find (20)hot spot (19)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Highly recommend! The food was delicious and the service fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BardkaDined on 9/13/2014The food and service were outstanding. It was very noisy as there were a couple of large groups of people. This significantly detracted from our 'date night'. We loved the venue but found the acoustics to be lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolute favorite place to goCianDined on 9/10/2014Everything from the ambiance to the food is top notch here. And for a price that won't break the bank - and for that reason ($$/benefit) I think this is the best place in the city.Special Features:
- WOWNonsterDined on 9/9/2014The Peasant's Cookery is part of the WOW hospitality group (529 Wellington, Los Chicos, Muddy Waters etc.). I had the pleasure of having a conversation with the owner about 18 months ago and he got me very excited about Peasant's Cookery with his description of the concept and the focus on local and seasonal ingredients. It took me 18 months to get there and it was worth the wait...I had the fresh oysters on the 1/2 shell with a shallot mignionette and the beef tartar to start, both were great. My main was the Lamb Meatballs with a featured wine from Portugal (bottle was half price for $30) and the pairing was excellent. Can't wait for the next opportunity to go (TIP: If you like oysters, Wednesdays feature $1 Oysters on the 1/2 shell)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service. Wonderful old buildingSpecial Features:
- We always go backlovethatsauceDined on 9/5/2014We have had dinner several times, lunch several times and eaten in the bar when the restaurant was full. Each time was very enjoyable. The food is excellent and the service commendable. We have never been able to get onto the patio (full; bad weather) so we'll have to try our luck at reserving a spot before winter sets in. We have enjoyed spending time with friends at Peasant as well as dining as a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot, food okayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014I had heard great things about Peasant Cookery, but was underwhelmed by our dining experience. All of the staff did an excellent job, and the atmosphere was wonderful. The downfall was the food. Both my husband and I found our meals a little bland and plain. It could have just been the meals we ordered (Mussel and Chorizo Spaghettini and the Butchers choice pork special) but I left feeling as though I could have made the same dinner for ourselves, although dessert was very good. We will try once more because we really appreciated the knowledgeable and attentive service......maybe it was an off day in the kitchen.Special Features:
- A great start to an evening.RosieDined on 8/27/2014And here we thought that the show was going to be the hilight of the night. The food was wonderful and flavourful. Great menu and great wine. The brisket was so tasty. I had been before and again was not disappointed.Special Features:
- mwenDined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed the workers and atmosphere. I'd recommend it. Really enjoyed the lamb meatballs.Special Features:
- DisappointedEatOutAlotDined on 8/26/2014I enjoy taking out-of-town guests to the market district of downtown Winnipeg, the area is interesting. Peasant Cookery has been my choice several times, but I have been disappointed each time by some aspects of the dining experience. The food was hit and miss. The fish meal flavours and preparation were sub-par. However, the pork meal was excellent. On the short wine menu, 2 of our selections were not available. The calamari was poor. I'm not sure I am prepared to give this restaurant another chance.Special Features:
- lagourman2Dined on 8/25/2014great food (especially beet salad, calamari, and fabulous charcuterie platter!...oh and to-die-for maple sugar pie and chevre cheesecake!...although we thought the accompanying berry sorbet didn't show either to their best advantage. Perhaps something less sour?), interesting well thought-out wine list, comfortable warm ambiance, lovely neighbourhood...the bill at the end of the meal was a bit more than we'd wanted to spend, but everyone agreed that it was worth it. One little recommendation: update alcohol menu to reflect digestifs available in the bar (Cognac, Calvados, Courvoisier, etc.)...and add an eau de vie!Special Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 8/25/2014The food was delicious. The portion was very large but it was so good that I ate it all. It would be nice if the menu had half sizes as well for the smaller appetites. The staff was friendly and very professional. I found the prices very reasonable. I would definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffroDined on 8/24/2014Nice selection of wines, beers and non-alcoholic stuff for the younger or non-imbibing set. Menu offered ample choices and what we had (Poutine, Mahi Mahi and Gnocchi) was all excellent. Drinks took way took long to arrive as did the return of our server to take our dinner orders, perhaps because it was a busy night. We'd go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- neveragainDined on 8/24/2014We were disappointed in the experience since we heard good thing when it first opened. The multiple waiters were obsessed with pouring water and once poured water into my glass of sparkling water. Both meals were mediocre. Service was slow. Appetizers took 45 minutes. Dinner arrived well over an hour after being seated.
- Great nightIwannagooutDined on 8/22/2014Great from start to finish. Our server was attentive and never let our glasses get empty. Our appetizers were delish and our main courses were beautifully presented flavourful and a perfect portion size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peasant CookeryfeedbackDined on 8/22/2014The service was attentive. The waiter checked whether we were having dinner before a concert hall show and was great about keeping things on time. The charcuterie board was impressive. We had the lamb meatballs and the trout. Both were very good but my partner and I were both left feeling that we were glad we had gone but weren't particularly motivated to come back. I've been in the lounge before and would happily return there for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!AudgeDined on 8/22/2014Our lunch experience was great. Our server, Leah, was super nice and we received our food quickly - and on a Friday at lunch yet! The food was amazing! We tried a number of different dishes (gnocchi, burger, orzo, poutine) and it was all delicious. The pickled beans were a flavorful surprise! We will definitely come back to Peasant Cookery again.Special Features:
- Wonderful suppersuz44444Dined on 8/21/2014We dined at Peasant on a Thursday evening for our anniversary. Everything about our experience there was smooth and pleasant. We were greeted promptly at the door and made to feel welcome. The food was tasty and hot and our servers were pleasant and made time to chat. My husband ordered the tourtière which he thoroughly enjoyed and I had the chicken which was prepared to perfection. Overall, this is a great place to go for an outing. Thanks to the staff.Special Features:
- PoppyPopDined on 8/21/2014Disappointed with Mahi Mahi which was overdone. Excellent appetizer (mussels and fries) done perfectly in an excellent creamy liquid. Good advice from Sommelier, along with an excellent wine selection. Enjoyed the evening after theatre, but found the menu a little short. A little surprised that much of the selection was not as "local" as expected. Will return!Special Features:
- just okCindy52Dined on 8/16/2014The food was average. My husband had the pork chop and it was overcooked and dry. I had the brisket which as well was dry and the potato salad that was to accompany the dish was hardly visible. The calamari starter was very average which was a surprise. I thought perhaps the calamari would be given a bit of a different presentation or a less generic preparation. This is second and last time we will dine here. Far too many other choices out there.
- A Neighborhood StandbyexchangedistrictresidentDined on 8/16/2014We love this restaurant and since we live just two blocks away go there frequently and often bring guests. Always have a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flavourless food / amazing server.iMissFatAngelDeliDined on 8/16/2014The server we had was perfect. ...the food was beyond underwhelming. Steamed and flopped on a plate veggies and lackluster flavors for the proteins. On paper the menu items sound tasty and we had hoped for the best. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Get the beef tartare!numnumnumnumDined on 8/15/2014Everything that we had was good; the beef tartare was exceptional with capers, pickles and smoked egg yolk. I also had the trout served whole which was succulent. Absinthe and bourbon cocktail has kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerVCdiningDined on 8/15/2014We had a fantastic dinner for two on a Friday night. I had the pork belly feature and the mussels. Both spectacular. My partner had the half chicken dinner and said it was likely the best chicken she's ever had at a restaurant. The service was impeccable. Not overbearing but always there when you needed something. Staff was also knowledgeable regarding the menu which we did have questions about. It was hard to choose. We were full after our entrees and declined dessert but because our waiter was aware of the special occasion he brought us a creme brûlée to share...on the house. It was a great evening. Above and beyond what I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic !!!!Scotty123Dined on 8/15/2014Our family had an absolutely awesome dinner. The food and the service were fantastic. Everything is made from scratch on site and the food tasted great. The menu was unique for us .... (we are from a smaller community) and the staff was very friendly and helpful, explaining exactly how things on it were made and the different tastes .... it was truly a dining experience for us and we will be back for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014Buck a shuck was great! Oysters were plump. Had the tortiere and Pork Chop. Everything was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Heard great things about restaurant tried Wednesday on the patio for oysters and a salad, food was great, wine delicious atmosphere out side great and service was good as well. Cannot comment on inside yet as we did not dine inside. Would highly recommend LloydSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I had the mussels and my friend had the pasta with Mahi Mahi. Both were excellent!Special Features:
- Great Comfort FoodAPL29Dined on 8/8/2014Best when sticking to the classic, simple fare from which they draw their name. Excellent service, and a better than average bar stock/wine cellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerdinerDined on 8/6/2014This is one of my favourite places to eat. The food is always delicious, the servers are friendly and helpful. I appreciate the way the menu changes (but not too often!) so that you have a chance to try each of your choices on return visits.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Food Not So MuchGrossCharcuterie0Dined on 8/4/2014Professional and genuinely polite servers. The PEI oysters were fine however the charcuterie had cheap meat and somewhat disgusting assortment of meat (when asked what was served for the charcuterie was advised whatever the chef has decided and what is available) and the calamari was nothing special as arrived cold and the dipping sauce had no flavour. Such a shame as the service was excellent but I won't return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Food and service was fantastic. My wife and I were there to celebrate our anniversary and will definitely be coming back with our friends and family in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Took some out of town guests there. None of us were disappointed.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The server was amazing. The food was amazing. The wine was amazing. Even the bathroom was a pleasant experience! Would highly recommend this place to anyone - local or visiting! The flavors on the menu change quite regularly, but we had a variety (6) of appetizers as our entire meal and each one of them was delicious! Make sure you try the Charcuterie Plate!Special Features:
- GreateveningGreateveningDined on 7/14/2014Food was great, staff very nice price is as expected, reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvdiningoutDined on 7/11/2014Great food and wine list, I enjoyed the Mahi Mahi. I would rate 4.5 if I could on food and ambience, but it didn't allow the option to give half stars. There was a reggae festival in the park across the street, so it was lively and not distracting to our visit at the table, which it was surprised about (in a good way).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionWolfpackDined on 7/11/2014We have visited the Peasant Cookery now for 2 special occasions with parties of 5 and 6 people...Outstanding ambience, food, wine and service..Bravo to all staff..!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gourmet delight8at848Dined on 7/7/2014The staff are particularly attentive, knowledgeable and the menus are creative, well presented. Prices are reasonableSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Restaurantscrow595VIPDined on 7/6/2014This was our first time to Winnipeg and we were staying downtown. The restaurant was conventiently located to the hotel. Food was of exceptional quality, with local ingredients. Loved sitting outside watching people come and go. It was a Sunday evening and relatively quiet. Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly a hicup?FoodieBoOodieDined on 7/5/2014We've been to this restaurant a few times in the past and have really enjoyed ourselves. At this visit there were four of us for dinner. Two of us had meals that were not up to par. The fish was very greasy, the Berkshire pork was at least, and I'm not exaggerating here, 70% fat. My very large piece of meat ended up being tiny after all the fat was cut off.Special Features: