180 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pearltavern.com/
- Phone: 3126291030x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Lorenz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Accommodating groups for private dining and events from 20 to 50 guests and large groups up to 150 guests.
A word from Pearl Tavern
The revival of the All American Oyster bar arrives through Pearl Tavern on the banks of the Chicago River. Restaurant developer Adolfo Garcia is enthusiastic about venturing on his own with the inception of Pearl Tavern. It has been a great aspiration of his to develop such a concept, in a historical location that will revive the spirit of one of the oldest taverns in the loop, Coogan's Riverside Saloon. He is hoping to reflect the landscape of the new American table by celebrating the sharing experience with a perfect balance of Old World oyster bar and New World seafood delicacies.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pearl Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (55)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (21)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (16)special occasion (15)romantic (11)scenic view (7)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Very accommodatingQueenofcrabsDined on 9/19/2014The chef personally came out to talk to me about gluten free options. So nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceEWess92VIPDined on 9/15/2014The oysters were great, as was the Monday/Tuesday deal. Solid drinks, and the Tuna Poke was fantastic. The TVs were a way to keep tabs on the Football game, and built into the mirror behind the bar they were very unobtrusive.Special Features:
- Not worth itlocalsDined on 8/15/2014This place was not great, the only shining light were the oysters. Everything else was not very good and the seafood was far from fresh. The beer selection is fine and the cocktails were good though. We got the seafood empanadas, some of the worst seafood I've had. We then got the tacos and they were incredibly forgetful. Overall, wouldn't be surprised if this place shut down in the next 6-10 months. Our waitress was very nice and helpful though.Special Features:
- JasmineSunshineDined on 8/4/2014Celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on a Monday evening and had a quiet area at the back to ourselves. We loved the atmosphere, food and drinks, and service. We had a dozen oysters (buy a 1/2 dozen, get another 1/2 dozen off on Mondays + Tuesdays), excellent ceviche, sumptuous lobster mac & cheese, and so-so fish and chips (which we didn't need because we were pretty full before they arrived). We drank La Perla, The Dirty Pearl, and Angry Mermaid. We thought the latter was the best and most interesting because it was complex and smoky and had a habanero pepper on the rim that I was warned not to even lick. To help us celebrate, dessert (chocolate PB cheesecake) was on the house. We hope to be back before our 8th!Special Features:
- Good Oysters and seafoodMVE1961VIPDined on 8/4/2014The oysters were fresh and the grilled calamari was excellent. Lobster tacos/tostada's were good but not as good as the first time I had them. Ask for a side of tarragon aioli on the side.Special Features:
- Welcome addition to the loopOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2014Great place for client lunches and a welcome addition to the loop. I'm sure it would be a good spot for happy hour too and hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- 1st Time at The PearlKellyLVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had a great server who helped us pick out delicious items from the menu. I'm excited to return for lunch.Special Features:
- Pricey Bird FoodUnhappyDined on 7/30/2014Not a lot of food and prices are high. What food you do get is good, though. Service was great, but we were at the restaurant at 12:45 and it cleared out pretty fast.
- The best in the LoopStreetervilleResVIPDined on 7/30/2014It's still far enough east to qualify for the Loop (even though in technical real estate terms it's in the West Loop), and easily the best. The food is great. The service is fantastic, every time. Everyone loves the vibe inside. The only dish I've had here that wasn't spectacular was the grilled calamari. Everything else is special, well executed and completely worth the trip.Special Features:
- Cool oysters in a hot new spotElyArtistDined on 7/25/2014We ate at Pearl Tavern for the first time this weekend. At first we were a bit taken aback at being seated in a far room with a VERY loud table of 20-somethings enjoying a social hour. Later, as we exited the restaurant through the main dining and bar area, we realized that our table might actually have been one of the "quieter" ones! This is not a restaurant in which to enjoy a romantic evening -- you will not be able to hear the person next to you. If you enjoy seafood creatively prepared, however, do try Pearl. The fresh oysters were superb, the starters and small plates were outstanding, food very creatively prepared, but the menu is not extensive. Small but good wine selection. Pearl is a great choice for a light seafood dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunch in the cityJasperCDined on 7/25/2014Ive been here a couple of times. In my most recent visit I had the lobster roll- it was excellet- a nice big piece of lobster, with a aioli that was so tastey. Service was first class. Attentive and helpful on menu choices (the server helped me pick) but not pushy at all. I'll definitely be back again. From a noise perspective, I had asked them for a quieter table for a business lunch. They hit the spot by tucking us at the back away from the bar and the action. Perfect. Overall, struggling to find things to complain about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh Pearlmag0jgDined on 7/15/2014I ordered the Dirty Pearl martini. The shell had broke in the glass and had to have the drink strained so I wouldn't swallow pieces of shell. They had Oysters Rockefeller on the menu (one of my favorites) however, their "take" on it fell flat. The Lobster Mac & Cheese was really good. Drinks are pricy but you should expect that from a downtown venue. I'll probably pass on another visit.
- Wonderful food and serviceMuniyecaDined on 7/14/2014Even as we sat down we were already planning our next visit. We were hoping they had some kind of oyster happy hour for the loop crowd, but I'm sure we'll go back even so.Special Features:
- Excellent spotamaaDined on 7/9/2014Food was vert tasty and good. Service great. Nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer menu a hitStreetervilleResVIPDined on 7/8/2014Still a well-curated menu. Portions are right on -- you don't leave hungry, but you won't be stuffed and uncomfortable. Delicious food served by friendly professionals in a really nice environment. Which believe it or not in the CBD is hard to come by! Most others dial it in. This is a River North/Restaurant Row quality place in an easy location during the week.Special Features:
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/1/2014The change in menu was a big let down. While the Tuna Poke & Salmon Tartar were good - they weren't as good as they were when Pearl opened. They also changed this fish tacos. Originally, they had fried tilapia bites on a corn tortilla and were pretty tasty. Now, tacos contain bland sautéed tilapia, topped with bland avocado, and sweet pickled red onions. The corn tortillas are fried, so they are crispy, making them messy and near-impossible to eat. The sweet potato fries were a nice addition. We requested to sit near the front windows but were seated in the middle of the restaurant - which was annoying because we had an early res and there were only a few other tables. This easily could have been accommodated. Otherwise, service was good.Special Features:
- FabulousJCherieVIPDined on 6/26/2014My favorite Lunch Spot for Meetings. Its wonderful to know the staff and have excellent service and accomodation.Special Features:
- Love the summer menuStreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/26/2014The grilled shrimp salad is great. My companion wolfed down the salmon burger in no time. Still obsessed with the sweet potato fries, best in the city, hands down!Special Features:
- Great place for after workCSDinesVIPDined on 6/25/2014A bit loud but, food was great. Definitely try the oysters and mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer menu's here!StreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/24/2014Love the summer menu so far. They added sweet potato fries because everyone was asking for them. They are hands down, The Best in the city. I don't know what they do to make them so good but they are a will power-ruin(er)!! :)Special Features:
- Simply fantasticpnt225VIPDined on 6/23/2014The space is beautiful. The food is divine. Having the World Cup on the wide screen TV made me adore the place even more. I will be back to this spot over and over again. I only wish the bar wasn't so popular. It is difficult to get a seat.Special Features:
- Terrible TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014Extremely limited and unimaginative menu. Drinks were average at best. The service was awful. Our waitress did not go over the menus and did not provide bottle service options. Not to mention, after we ordered with her, she forgot to put our appetizer order in. After we finished our appetizers, she forgot our main course order that we put in with her and asked if we were ordering entrees. When we indicated we already placed entree orders with her, she said we did not. She then realized he had forgotten to put the order in.
- D. D. eatsDDeatsDined on 6/13/2014Had difficulty hearing over the dinn of the worldcup. Very good food. Poke was terrific! Nice oyster selection. Tried them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tsheeranDined on 6/10/2014Pearl Tavern is a superb after work gathering spot with ambiance, old world decor and a offers a well-thought wine list. The oyster special on Mondays and Tuesdays is well worth stopping by. I look forward to many return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014Loved the decor and the food was great! Lobster roll was fantastic and the oysters were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always!StreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/5/2014Tried the scallops from the sharing menu…the "pistachio emulsion" I think it was? Amazing. The only problem is there are only two good-sized scallops! Delish. Would love to see this as an entree. Maybe with 3 or 4 scallops? Anyhoo. Shrimp salad was perfection as usual, and my companion (who is from Maine) was pleased with the Lobster Roll. Working my way through the entire menu. Love this place.Special Features:
- BeautifulBXY1Dined on 6/3/2014Beautiful place in an area with nothing else like it. Great seafood.Special Features:
- Amazing food and adorable settingKatieDined on 6/2/2014This place was picked because the person we were celebrating likes seafood, wanted outdoor seating and was in the loop serving lunch. I found this place and didn't know much about it. To my delight it was even better than expected. Although we didn't get to sit outside because of rain, I am happy. The inside was fabulous, loved the details of the place and the staff was incredible. It was an amazing find! I would definitely recommend this place again. The entire group was extremely impressed. I will definitely go back to this place, hopefully when it is not raining so we can sit outside.Special Features:
- Tried something new on the menuStreetervilleResVIPDined on 5/30/2014How nice of Pearl to make fish tacos fried in cornstarch instead of flour, thank you! They were tres tres good. Not very much fish flavor though. Still, I'd get them again. Maybe tomorrow when I go back for a lunch meeting!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedCityChicDined on 5/29/2014Good menu, lots of options for seafood lovers. Lobster roll was good, but wasn't blown away. Good service, and they really did a good job w/ the decor & ambiance (compared to Coogan's, which was in this space prior).Special Features:
- The following 99 reviews are from the Pearl Tavern reviews archive.
- What's the point of a reservation?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/22/2014When we arrived, we were told that there were no tables ready, although there appeared to be empty four-tops. We ended up sitting at the bar, and only after we'd ordered our food were we informed that a table was available. At that point, we just decided to stay where we were. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying -- and there didn't seem to be a reason for it. The food was very good, however, and the staff at the bar was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedMichelleVIPDined on 5/20/2014Cute restaurant, but the food was not very impressive. Mussels were small, dry and stringy, tuna poke and ceviche were average, the best item was a sea scallop in a cream sauce. Portions were called sharing, but for 3 people, each really only got 1 bite of anything (but the mussels). At $12 for a sharing plate, that's a $4 bite. The bite wasn't tasty enough to go back.
- We love seafoodTeamHHDined on 5/19/2014Great service, great tasting, fresh foods and a very smart cocktail list. Thanks Kelsie & AlexSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oysters in cityOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/17/2014Tried both east and west coast varieties. They were very fresh and well presented. The tuna poke could use a kick but was fresh and tasty. Plentiful drink lost including some unique custom cocktails. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mean gin and tonicRomanticBirthdayDined on 5/16/2014My fiancé and I went here on a Friday after work. The place was packed with the after work crowd but the drinks were really good. We ended up having a seafood tower and the lobster Mac. For 70 bucks the tower was underwhelming ( more food please) but the lobster Mac was phenomonalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pearl DivingFooddocVIPDined on 5/16/2014Pearl Tavern is a hip, vibrant bar/restaurant that seems great for just drinks, but provides a great bar seafood menu that is excellent. No formal entrees, but raw seafood, soups, salads, and sandwiches which are plenty! While my wife and I shared a great scallop app, she loved her salmon burger and I my Conecticut-style (warm, no mayo) lobster roll, my highlight was "The Dirty Pearl." This was a vodka martini, with a fresh shucked oyster sitting in the glass as garnish!! Fabulous! As old folks, we were put in a rear dining room away from the bustle of the bar, but got a view of the river and the trains was terrific. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/14/2014limited menu, overpriced. mixed drinks were good but very small for the priceSpecial Features:
- Free oysters!sofiadujourVIPDined on 5/13/2014Mondays and Tuesdays buy half get half oysters is a sure way to get Metra commuters into Pearl! Unfortunately, the oysters weren't so great, most were small and too briny (we tried all 4)- sure, the condiments can mask that flavor but I prefer oysters as they are, not masked by vinegar and cocktail sauce. The difference between east and west coast was indistinguishable. Mussels, however, were great, delicious broth and came in charming black pots. It would be nice if the menu stated that they come with fries, I would much rather have bread to sop up the broth instead of unhealthy french fries (although I do admit they were tasty!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchFoodie777Dined on 5/13/2014Had a great lunch - was a bit nervous because we have some foodies in our group and some reviews I read were unfavorable, but all were delighted with their lunch. Just note that the chicken salad is not your traditional chicken salad. It's a seasoned chicken breast on a bed of lettuce - good but unexpected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab Meal!jinglesdelarockDined on 5/10/2014Loved everything I had. Everything was super fresh and delicious. Cocktails were also creative and delicious. The portions were HUGE and delicious. I would go back for sure. A love place to enjoy a meal.Special Features: