180 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pearltavern.com/
- Phone: 3126291030x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Lorenz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Accommodating groups for private dining and events from 20 to 50 guests and large groups up to 150 guests.
A word from Pearl Tavern
The revival of the All American Oyster bar arrives through Pearl Tavern on the banks of the Chicago River. Restaurant developer Adolfo Garcia is enthusiastic about venturing on his own with the inception of Pearl Tavern. It has been a great aspiration of his to develop such a concept, in a historical location that will revive the spirit of one of the oldest taverns in the loop, Coogan's Riverside Saloon. He is hoping to reflect the landscape of the new American table by celebrating the sharing experience with a perfect balance of Old World oyster bar and New World seafood delicacies.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pearl Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (48)fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (21)hot spot (16)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (10)special occasion (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Loop seafood & barDDubsVIPDined on 10/27/2014Great location in the loop for lunch and drinks, outdoor seating is very nice, the service is attentive and the staff is friendly. The seafood empanada is a treat and there are a few selections for non-seafood diners. Good wine list with different price points and the oyster selection is smart to have 1 East coast and 1 West coast variety. We liked the small plates choices, nice variety that will caters to a wide range of tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomlikes2eatDined on 10/23/2014Attractive newer spot in the north loop area. Ambiance is great as the restaurant decor was well executed. Open Table availability didn't seem to reflect reality. Although I couldn't get the earlier time I had hoped for, when my party did arrive at the booked time, the place was not all that busy. Several tables were unoccupied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy BarMattVIPDined on 10/22/2014We thought we would try this new place but found it not to our liking. We would say it is a noisy bar rather than a restaurant. We had burgers which we found quite salty (I think this may have been the pretzel bun) and found them not very good. I would not recommend this as a place to dine. Service was quite slow with little checking to see if you were satisfied. I was also disappointed that the only tables were high bar stool type with no low tables available as all the lower tables were in a section of the restaurant closed for a private party. I will not return and would not recommend dining here. It is really a place to drink with food as an incidental in my opinion. It is very very very noisy.Special Features:
- Really nice placeDoodles80Dined on 10/21/2014Met a friend here to catch up one night and was pleasantly surprised by this spot. Very pretty place, small and bustling. Quite affordable menu that offers nice variety. I ordered a BBQ salmon burger, which was very good. Tasted very fresh and sweet potato fries on the side were a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weakest meal of my 5 visitsBusinessLuncherVIPDined on 10/17/2014Brought a new group of colleagues to Pearl Tavern, since my previous visits had been excellent. Maybe it was what I ordered (tuna salad), but the meal was weak. Calamari was a bit chewy was well. I'll give them another chance since past experiences were good.Special Features:
- Great CocktailsDasnlouDined on 10/8/2014We tried it for the first time this week and loved the bar and the bartenders. Food was good. The tacos should be on soft shells though. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocktails & ConchshellscasualnommerDined on 10/7/2014After much debate about the origin of the pronunciation of conchshell, my group of 7 delved our way through most of the menu. The oysters - phenomenal. Second of the best in the city, only surpassed by Hugo's. The seafood empanadas? Killed it. Our Columbian friend concurred that they could compete with the best her mom makes. The lobster mac was both fragrant and delicious, and the lobster tacos were considerably well portioned and flavorful. The biggest surprise was the cocktails! Absolutely delicious, the High Tide is citrusy but not too sweet, and very light but still has some body to it thanks to the egg whites. A definite must.Special Features:
- Chance meetingAuntBunny85Dined on 10/7/2014Was in the area, with my husband, it was our first time checking it out. Attentive and knowledge wait staff, friendly hostess. The food was fresh, flavorful, just enough. I will come here again!Special Features:
- TheWolfsVIPDined on 10/6/2014My husband and I came here after work. We had read the reviews which were lukewarm re: the food (although generally very complimentary of the oysters) so I was a little leary--we really enjoyed our food! I am not an oyster lover however do like West Coast oysters. I like the East and West coast oysters here and even had a full dozen on my own which I have never done (note, they have an oyster special on Mondays and Tuesdays--buy 6, get 6 free). We also really enjoyed the tuna poke and the fish tacos. We will definitely return here. I do agree that the wine list is sparse and the menu is limited but good.Special Features:
- Good Lobster rollMM64VIPDined on 9/30/2014Good Lobster roll, nice place but don't understand how they didn't have Clam Chowder offered. Should be staple of restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks!CenadorDined on 9/29/2014Cocktails are really good! Creative and different! Food menu is OK but nothing exceptional, more offerings would be good but at the end it is a Raw BAR more than a Restaurant. Nice outdoor seating although it gets noisy during rush hours.Special Features:
- Something wasn't right.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/23/2014Been here 10 times and written several 4 and 5 star reviews. Something seemed different this time. The table was uncomfortably tight for three average size men, the calamari was chewy, the ceviche wasn't as good as usual, and all three main dishes were just ok. Hopefully just a bad day. It's one of my favorite places in the loop to take clients and colleagues. Much more character than most of the big American fare places on Wacker.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingQueenofcrabsDined on 9/19/2014The chef personally came out to talk to me about gluten free options. So nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceEWess92VIPDined on 9/15/2014The oysters were great, as was the Monday/Tuesday deal. Solid drinks, and the Tuna Poke was fantastic. The TVs were a way to keep tabs on the Football game, and built into the mirror behind the bar they were very unobtrusive.Special Features:
- Not worth itlocalsDined on 8/15/2014This place was not great, the only shining light were the oysters. Everything else was not very good and the seafood was far from fresh. The beer selection is fine and the cocktails were good though. We got the seafood empanadas, some of the worst seafood I've had. We then got the tacos and they were incredibly forgetful. Overall, wouldn't be surprised if this place shut down in the next 6-10 months. Our waitress was very nice and helpful though.Special Features:
- JasmineSunshineDined on 8/4/2014Celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on a Monday evening and had a quiet area at the back to ourselves. We loved the atmosphere, food and drinks, and service. We had a dozen oysters (buy a 1/2 dozen, get another 1/2 dozen off on Mondays + Tuesdays), excellent ceviche, sumptuous lobster mac & cheese, and so-so fish and chips (which we didn't need because we were pretty full before they arrived). We drank La Perla, The Dirty Pearl, and Angry Mermaid. We thought the latter was the best and most interesting because it was complex and smoky and had a habanero pepper on the rim that I was warned not to even lick. To help us celebrate, dessert (chocolate PB cheesecake) was on the house. We hope to be back before our 8th!Special Features:
- Good Oysters and seafoodMVE1961VIPDined on 8/4/2014The oysters were fresh and the grilled calamari was excellent. Lobster tacos/tostada's were good but not as good as the first time I had them. Ask for a side of tarragon aioli on the side.Special Features:
- Welcome addition to the loopOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/4/2014Great place for client lunches and a welcome addition to the loop. I'm sure it would be a good spot for happy hour too and hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- 1st Time at The PearlKellyLVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had a great server who helped us pick out delicious items from the menu. I'm excited to return for lunch.Special Features:
- Pricey Bird FoodUnhappyDined on 7/30/2014Not a lot of food and prices are high. What food you do get is good, though. Service was great, but we were at the restaurant at 12:45 and it cleared out pretty fast.
- The best in the LoopStreetervilleResVIPDined on 7/30/2014It's still far enough east to qualify for the Loop (even though in technical real estate terms it's in the West Loop), and easily the best. The food is great. The service is fantastic, every time. Everyone loves the vibe inside. The only dish I've had here that wasn't spectacular was the grilled calamari. Everything else is special, well executed and completely worth the trip.Special Features:
- Cool oysters in a hot new spotElyArtistDined on 7/25/2014We ate at Pearl Tavern for the first time this weekend. At first we were a bit taken aback at being seated in a far room with a VERY loud table of 20-somethings enjoying a social hour. Later, as we exited the restaurant through the main dining and bar area, we realized that our table might actually have been one of the "quieter" ones! This is not a restaurant in which to enjoy a romantic evening -- you will not be able to hear the person next to you. If you enjoy seafood creatively prepared, however, do try Pearl. The fresh oysters were superb, the starters and small plates were outstanding, food very creatively prepared, but the menu is not extensive. Small but good wine selection. Pearl is a great choice for a light seafood dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for lunch in the cityJasperCDined on 7/25/2014Ive been here a couple of times. In my most recent visit I had the lobster roll- it was excellet- a nice big piece of lobster, with a aioli that was so tastey. Service was first class. Attentive and helpful on menu choices (the server helped me pick) but not pushy at all. I'll definitely be back again. From a noise perspective, I had asked them for a quieter table for a business lunch. They hit the spot by tucking us at the back away from the bar and the action. Perfect. Overall, struggling to find things to complain about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh Pearlmag0jgDined on 7/15/2014I ordered the Dirty Pearl martini. The shell had broke in the glass and had to have the drink strained so I wouldn't swallow pieces of shell. They had Oysters Rockefeller on the menu (one of my favorites) however, their "take" on it fell flat. The Lobster Mac & Cheese was really good. Drinks are pricy but you should expect that from a downtown venue. I'll probably pass on another visit.
- Wonderful food and serviceMuniyecaDined on 7/14/2014Even as we sat down we were already planning our next visit. We were hoping they had some kind of oyster happy hour for the loop crowd, but I'm sure we'll go back even so.Special Features:
- OK NOT GREATLucyVIPDined on 7/10/2014That's really all I can say. Nothing about this place stood out - not the menu, not the atmosphere, not the service..
- Excellent spotamaaDined on 7/9/2014Food was vert tasty and good. Service great. Nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer menu a hitStreetervilleResVIPDined on 7/8/2014Still a well-curated menu. Portions are right on -- you don't leave hungry, but you won't be stuffed and uncomfortable. Delicious food served by friendly professionals in a really nice environment. Which believe it or not in the CBD is hard to come by! Most others dial it in. This is a River North/Restaurant Row quality place in an easy location during the week.Special Features:
- The following 114 reviews are from the Pearl Tavern reviews archive.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/1/2014The change in menu was a big let down. While the Tuna Poke & Salmon Tartar were good - they weren't as good as they were when Pearl opened. They also changed this fish tacos. Originally, they had fried tilapia bites on a corn tortilla and were pretty tasty. Now, tacos contain bland sautéed tilapia, topped with bland avocado, and sweet pickled red onions. The corn tortillas are fried, so they are crispy, making them messy and near-impossible to eat. The sweet potato fries were a nice addition. We requested to sit near the front windows but were seated in the middle of the restaurant - which was annoying because we had an early res and there were only a few other tables. This easily could have been accommodated. Otherwise, service was good.Special Features:
- FabulousJCherieVIPDined on 6/26/2014My favorite Lunch Spot for Meetings. Its wonderful to know the staff and have excellent service and accomodation.Special Features:
- Love the summer menuStreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/26/2014The grilled shrimp salad is great. My companion wolfed down the salmon burger in no time. Still obsessed with the sweet potato fries, best in the city, hands down!Special Features:
- Great place for after workCSDinesVIPDined on 6/25/2014A bit loud but, food was great. Definitely try the oysters and mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer menu's here!StreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/24/2014Love the summer menu so far. They added sweet potato fries because everyone was asking for them. They are hands down, The Best in the city. I don't know what they do to make them so good but they are a will power-ruin(er)!! :)Special Features:
- Simply fantasticpnt225VIPDined on 6/23/2014The space is beautiful. The food is divine. Having the World Cup on the wide screen TV made me adore the place even more. I will be back to this spot over and over again. I only wish the bar wasn't so popular. It is difficult to get a seat.Special Features:
- Terrible TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014Extremely limited and unimaginative menu. Drinks were average at best. The service was awful. Our waitress did not go over the menus and did not provide bottle service options. Not to mention, after we ordered with her, she forgot to put our appetizer order in. After we finished our appetizers, she forgot our main course order that we put in with her and asked if we were ordering entrees. When we indicated we already placed entree orders with her, she said we did not. She then realized he had forgotten to put the order in.
- D. D. eatsDDeatsDined on 6/13/2014Had difficulty hearing over the dinn of the worldcup. Very good food. Poke was terrific! Nice oyster selection. Tried them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tsheeranDined on 6/10/2014Pearl Tavern is a superb after work gathering spot with ambiance, old world decor and a offers a well-thought wine list. The oyster special on Mondays and Tuesdays is well worth stopping by. I look forward to many return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!FoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014Loved the decor and the food was great! Lobster roll was fantastic and the oysters were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always!StreetervilleResVIPDined on 6/5/2014Tried the scallops from the sharing menu…the "pistachio emulsion" I think it was? Amazing. The only problem is there are only two good-sized scallops! Delish. Would love to see this as an entree. Maybe with 3 or 4 scallops? Anyhoo. Shrimp salad was perfection as usual, and my companion (who is from Maine) was pleased with the Lobster Roll. Working my way through the entire menu. Love this place.Special Features:
- BeautifulBXY1Dined on 6/3/2014Beautiful place in an area with nothing else like it. Great seafood.Special Features: