Pearl French Bistro
703 Thimble Shoals Blvd
Newport News, VA 23606Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Pearl French Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pearlfrenchbistro.com/
- Phone: 7572235370x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from Pearl French Bistro
The Pearl French Bistro offers the Hampton Roads area Parisian flare and casual elegance with contemporary variations of classic French cuisine. Unforgettable ambiance and relaxing atmosphere exudes at this neighborhood bistro, with a menu of French mainstay dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Pearl French Bistro - Best Restaurants in Newport News ›
Pearl French Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (5)romantic (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Re-visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014New chef does a nice job. Great appetizers. Nice variety to the new menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Find in Newport NewsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/19/2014Stumbled on this place a couple of years ago and returned this week. Food is exceptional and you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better in the area. Service is prompt and friendly--see if Regina is working. Sommelier on staff (shout out to John) and very good with wine pairings. Had the Coquilles St Jacques--three large scallops--very tasty--for $12. Main was the Ahi tuna special over polenta and greens for $24. Both were paired with great wines at an affordable price of $12/glass. Thought given the quality of the food that you can't beat the price either. Chef is awesome and very accommodating. You must check it out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining in Newport NewsLeoandEnaDined on 5/9/2014A gem of a restaurant in Newport News! This restaurant was an unexpected find as it was a standout among the food chains in Newport News. The food is excellent - wonderfully prepared and presented. The staff is outstanding! This is a restaurant of choice for fine dining for us in Newport News.Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the Pearl French Bistro reviews archive.
- I have dined here 3x in 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014I have dined here 3x in 2013 before changes My experience last year each were memorable dining experiences; in food preparation & creativity, service knowledge of wine matching to meal, and a comfort in atmosphere of confidence I am no snob but when one experiences a consistent pleasing sensual meal with one two or three friends the experience will be compared to the next and the next This most recent experience did not deliverI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food needs some workLarryDined on 3/22/2014Felt that the restaurant is overpriced for the quality and quantity of what you get. Our crab and lobster crepes had very little of either. My rib eye steak was only of fair quality. Doubt we will be back; too many others to choose from.
- French Dining in NNOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014We had an excellent meal at French Bistro. Everyone had something different and we had a few appetizers and all were of excellent quality. My recommendation, however, is to get more comfortable seating. The chairs were very stiff and reduced the ambiance which in general was quite charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find in Newport NewsSnowbirdDined on 2/20/2014Pearl is an excellent French bistro. The menu is excellent and the specials, imaginative and delicious. We had a fabulous meal and really enjoyed the ambiance. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerWmburgfinefoodaddictDined on 1/18/2014First time experience at the Pearl French Bistro. Had a great dinner. The food was quite good (compares favorably to as Le Yaca). Our server was pleasant, attentive and knowledgeable. I had the tenderloin which was delicious and cooked to perfection. My wife had the seafood special which she thoroughly enjoyed. The portions were surprisingly large for a French restaurant. The décor and lighting was not what I would have expected for a fine restaurant but it would not keep me away. Our bill was about $50 per person (including tax). We will definitely return. I would recommend it without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodie109Dined on 12/30/2013Pearl offers delicious options of light and hearty fare. The quiche is always delicious as are the soups. Amibence is very cozy. Great place for business lunch.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceChrisDined on 12/7/2013The food and service are great! Tile floors make for a rather noisy and cold ambience, but the food and service make up for it! Great wine list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we will be back!bigbrovaDined on 11/2/2013The Scallop appetizer is big enough to be an entree! And the desserts were very good. too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely try it!GreenFlamingoDined on 10/21/2013The food here is always great! I went with a group of five for lunch. I had made reservations prior to arriving and the hostess was all set up for us when we arrived. They had a large table ready for us and there was no waiting. Everyone enjoyed their meal and left fully satisfied. For about the same amount of money you would spend on a good lunch anywhere around town you get a great lunch at Pearl! For those who like to cook you will appreciate the quality of ingredients as well as the presentation. You must try Pearl if you have never been. Your taste buds and tummy will thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect portion meals12396Dined on 10/1/2013I loved the quiet atmosphere romantic table for two. The food was incredible, the portions were perfect. The steak was cooked perfectly our hostess made sure our glasses were full. The best food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in Newport NewsFineDinerDined on 6/15/2013We went to Pearl for our anniversary and had a wonderful evening- attentive, engaging staff, great food, and a "special occasion" atmosphere. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Excellent Service!LissDined on 6/15/2013No complaints about the food or service. Everything was fantastic! The black and white checkered floor needs to be replaced with something more contemporary and luxurious. However, the food far outweighs the outdated decorating.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerKevinDined on 6/6/2013My wife and I went to Pearl French Bistro for our anniversary and had a great time. The food was very good, the service was tremendous and the price was reasonable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 27th april 2013 - DeliciousKellisDined on 4/27/2013This was our first time at the Pearl and we were not disappointed. The Food was delicious and the service professional. The chef came to our table to make sure everything was OK........and it really was. Look forward to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out in Newportredsun33VIPDined on 4/13/2013We had heard about the Pearl from others so the expectations were high. The cold hard fact is we felt let down.
- This place knows how to havedinerDined on 4/5/2013This place knows how to have a fine food and a great dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Warm service and well-conceivedbackbayfoodie2VIPDined on 2/23/2013Warm service and well-conceived and executed food made for a lovely evening.
- Surprise in Our NeighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2013My wife and I were very pleased with the excellent service and the outstanding food at Pearl. This is definitely a place we will visit again and again. We were also excited to find out about the Pearl wine pairings that are held frequently. We are definitely going to try that out also. Overall we had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Happened to stumble acrossChrisDined on 12/1/2012Happened to stumble across Pearl through open table while coming back in from out of town. What a great find! Service was VERY good. They were on top of it. Food was fabulous! The tile floors make it seem a bit cold, but otherwise a great dining experience!Special Features:
- My husband and I love, love,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012My husband and I love, love, love this place! The food is outstanding as is the service. Pearl never disappoints.Special Features:
- Prix fix menu. Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012Prix fix menu. Good food for 3 course $30 meal. You choose 1 from 4 items available for each course. $50 w/ wine pairings which were great. Service was very good, but they were not busy on a Friday night at 8pm. Decor is very simple in fitting with the bistro name; did not waste money on decorations.Special Features:
- This is our favorite for frenchMrPipsVIPDined on 7/11/2012This is our favorite for french food and we took my wife's 88 year old mother here forr her birthday dinner.It's her favorite too. And again, Pearl did not disappoint.The food is french inspired and definitly delicious.The service again, as always was impeccable. another fantastic dinner!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the prix fixe menuCindyHVIPDined on 7/9/2012Enjoyed the prix fixe menu on a Monday night. We had the place to ourselves, which was surprising. The location is a little off the beaten path, but very near the Town Center in Newport News - definitely worth it, though. Pearl feels like a French country inn...very cozy. Food was fresh and delicious, but not fussy.Special Features:
- It was a very quaint and aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012It was a very quaint and a lovely place that works for romantic settings as well as a nice place to take your mother on Mother's Day!Special Features:
- Very nice, but not pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012We went to dinner at Pearl French Bistro before heading off to see an Opera, and the entire experience was positive. The atmosphere was comfortable. We were quite dressed up and fit in, others were not and also fit in just fine. The prices were reasonable for quality dining, serving sizes were surprisingly generous (but not too big). The wait staff were very helpful, well informed, and friendly (without being intrusive). The chef obviously took pride in his work, and when he was unsatisfied with the quail in one dish he suggested substitution of duck, which worked very well. I will definitely eat there again given the chance.Special Features:
- Excellent evening from theluv2dineDined on 4/28/2012Excellent evening from the initial greeting to dessert! We had the specials instead of choosing from the limited the menu. The pork tenderloin and beef was superb. Chef Ihsan visited our table briefly and offered wine pairing suggestions. The Pearl has a very good selection of wines, several are unique in the local area and are 90 pt or higher reasonably priced jems.Special Features:
- It was a great way tp celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2012It was a great way tp celebrate Admin Professional's Day. The restaurant was crowded, but the service was just right.Special Features:
- Friendly and FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2012We made a last minute reservation on OpenTable but due to an admin mix-up there weren't supposed to have been any OpenTable reservations available. Pearl was having a five course wine dinner, which was sold out. Despite this, the owner honored our reservation and placed us in a quiet event room. I ordered a dish one doesn't often think of in fine French dining: liver and onions. It was superb. Without a doubt the best I've ever had. My guests' dishes were equally delicious. This is such a wonderful restaurant and the staff are very friendly. We always get the lemon posset, especially on warm days because it's so refreshing.Special Features:
- As always, had a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2012As always, had a great meal at Pearl! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The food was appealing andPollyDined on 2/17/2012The food was appealing and delicious, as always; the sole server could have used some assistance as 3 parties of 3 were seated within 5 minutes of each other, in addition to the 4 or 5 tables already present. But she maintained her poise as she struggled to handle everything in a timely manner, and her smile was always present. The lemon posset is the most perfect dessert ever!Special Features:
- Good Food, Service was notAwesomeDined on 1/28/2012Good Food, Service was not up to standard for the caliber of restaurant this isa trying to be. The atmosphere was loud and annoying.
- Best meal of the year.2BearsDined on 1/21/2012The food was the best i have had this year. I have recommended it to all my friends! I rank it up there with Vintage Tavern.Special Features:
- Other than the fact that TheTammyDined on 1/13/2012Other than the fact that The Pearl is not connected to OpenTable and didn't receive my reservation, it was outstanding. They were very accommodating and sat us anyway even though they were quite busy. The food was fabulous! I can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- Best French Restaurant in the AreaMayoplanVIPDined on 12/29/2011Best French restaurant in the region. So much I want to try from the menu, can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- I thought the food was veryDaveVIPDined on 12/22/2011I thought the food was very good and I am glad to see a local restaurant offering French food, not just French inspired. The chef is Le Cordon Bleu-trained. I will keep this on my list of restaurants to frequent. This was my second visit. The tomato soup was excellent and so was the braised veal shank.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedHouTex75VIPDined on 12/2/2011The food was better than average however very overpriced for the area. The service was just okay. I would not return.
- Our meals were excellent;OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2011Our meals were excellent; my friend said that her seared tuna was probably the best she'd ever had. Our server was friendly but a bit disorganized. For example, she would go to get us something but stop at another table and get distracted. The music (fifties pop/jazz) was a bit louder than we would have preferred. But these are minor items. The food and the chef are the stars that will keep us coming back!Special Features: