Pearl and Ash
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Pearl and Ash
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pearlandash.com/
- Phone: 2128372370
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 12:00am,
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Kuo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Pearl and Ash
Pearl & Ash was conceived at the intersection of luxury and simplicity. Our intention is to make the finest quality of food accessible to the masses without sacrificing integrity - while embracing the social and casual satisfaction of a communal setting. Our small plates are designed for sharing and we look forward to serving you and your friends a great selection of drinks and delicious dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Pearl and Ash - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
Pearl and Ash reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (133)notable wine list (117)hot spot (88)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (48)vibrant bar scene (44)good for groups (25)romantic (24)late-night find (23)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014feed me. small plates gone wrong. its good, its pretty, its just not really dinner. wine list is fantastic just wish i could have more BTG options. BEST music ever.
- fun spot - good food great winePN117Dined on 8/21/2014we had one serious complaint-some of the dishes were extremely salty! We even returned one dish. The restaurant deducted those from our bill. Now that is class! Will definitely be going back. Our friends visiting from London loved the restaurant, the vibe, the wine selection and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the winemadsbjergVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is ok but the wine list is spectacular. Prices are retail plus 30%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY EaterDLTMDined on 8/20/2014Service was pleasant but felt a little rushed, plates were cleared for the next course before we had finished the plates in front of us. This was even after I specified to the water that I wanted our meal to be spaced out. Food was overall good but a few dishes were over seasoned to the point of wanting to send them back to the kitchen. The space itself is nice and it has a fantastic wine list. Go for great wine and eat decent food when you are there.Special Features:
- Mix It UpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014Chose from a menu of small dishes in categories like "raw" or "sugar" and trust the chef to decide which ones work best together. Then enjoy your meal as the dishes come out 2 by 2. This creates the opportunity for surprises since the mix of ingredients, flavors and textures is a joint project of diner and chef. The cocktails are also non-standard concoctions, in a very good way and the restaurant has a really large, well curated, and expensive wine list. Thus was my second visit and I look forward to my third.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014Great food and service. I would highly recommend Pearl and Ash to anyone.Special Features:
- Deafening dinnerQuietbelowVIPDined on 8/9/2014At a Saturday 9 pm dinner, the food was really superb, the service was outstanding and the sommelier was knowledgeable and extremely helpful. All of these wonderful things were ruined by a relentless, bass heavy playlist of thudding '80s hits taken straight out of a college frat party. It's not even that the songs were bad--it's that my dinner partner and I couldn't hear each other talk from across the table. The bass was rattling our ribcages. When we asked our server if it would be possible to have the music lowered just a bit, she did her best and asked the manager. The manager ignored the request and kept the din at club levels.
- Great Wine listSparkyVIPDined on 8/9/2014A relatively small restaurant - one page menu, one toilet and 77 page wine list!! The menu is all small plates (and they mean SMALL) and the choices are rather limited. The steak and porgy were good while the rest (cod, fluke and trout) were just OK. I fail to understand why such a small restaurant thinks that it must have a huge wine inventory. I suggest replace the wine storage for 5000 bottles with another toilet. Most customers will be happier with smaller wine choices and shorter toilet waits.
- Great food; Great winemwneilDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed our meal. Interesting small plates with reasonable and exciting wine list. Service was efficient and engaging. No attitude. We really had fun and enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best wine list downtown.madsbjergVIPDined on 8/6/2014Extreme wine list. The prices are so low. almost like retail prices. I have no idea how they do it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two of the best meals in nyc!TravelingfoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014The bread, pork meatballs, and duck brought me to tears. I have tried 4 of the restaurants from the New York Times best new restaurants 2013 list and this is the best (along with sushi nakazawa but thats like comparing apples to oranges.Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodWastrainedbymyGrandmaDined on 8/2/2014Pearl and ash was a great place to dine. My g/f took me there for my birthday dinner and was pleasantly surprised at how well the food was prepared and served. Wouldn't change a thing about my night at the small plates/tapas restaurant. My g/f and I had 7 dishes and they were just the right size to keep us full but not needing to be rolled out of there. Good job Pearl & Ash good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/30/2014So excited and pleased with Pearl & Ash... Made a reservation on Open Table and read the reviews. Most were positive but was a little leary with some of the others. Well....did this restaurant make an impact on me!! Service was great...was greeted promptly and asked if we wanted to start with something sparkly...of course I do! Menu was described and plates were recommended. We ordered 7 plates and they were brought out in pairs. Everything was delicious, prepared perfectly. Loved the cod and the cauliflower was mouthwatering. I think my fave was the cheese platter. The dunbarton was paired with chocolate shavings...WOW...what a party in your mouth. We paired the cheese and dessert with a great reisling. I highly recommended Pearl & Ash!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and DelightfulSparkieDined on 7/26/2014Had the freshness and smell of my grandfathers garden. Octopus was amazing.Special Features:
- Must tryBuffett99VIPDined on 7/25/2014Meatballs and cauliflower are amazing. Great mixture of American tapas with Japanese influencesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/15/2014Wine choices and all dishes are, literally, extraordinary offering diversity, surprise and deep satisfaction. The service is extremely special - attentive and personal without being fussy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SpotattentiondinersDined on 7/14/2014Standouts included the fluke incredibly complemented with almonds (and almond oil?), the bread (applewood smoked whole wheat with a chicken schmaltz and maple syrup compound butter sprinkled with oregano) and cauliflower with shiso peppers. The grape, banana, cashew dessert was accompanied by the finest vanilla ice cream I have ever tasted. All dishes were small plates recommended by a perfectly gracious and laid back server. The wine list is, in a word, epic. Interior design was the only, easily overlooked, letdown. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Cool decor awesome food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014What funky decor! Every single dish we ordered was awesome! Great service. definitely come again...Special Features:
- Just greatTalulahDined on 7/11/2014The food was amazing, service was nice and helpful but not overly attentive. We had an amazing time with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No good flavors from kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/9/2014No good flavors came out of the kitchen and the portions are way too small to share. How do you share a soft egg over a salad. Asparagus tasted very briney, while most other dishes including the porgy were very salty. Ordered the baby octopus and it was served burnt and tough. Pork meatballs were adequate, but did not have much flavor in the meatballs nor the accompanying sauce. Cod was nice and served with a flavorful coconut & lemongrass sauce, but portion was to small even for a shared plate. Potatoes bravas were nicely cooked but had too much of the accompanying mayonnaise sauce which like all else was too salty. Finally this place is known for the wine list, but the sommeliers choice was not a good one, nothing distinct.
- blehtoolhandflukeVIPDined on 7/8/2014this place was bleh, overall major let down food was mediocre, they were out of multiple dishes, they kept on pouring the beer from the bottle into my glass and didn't tilt it or nothing so i ended up getting more head than i wouldve like (never thought id say that) also they gave away our table when the reservation was for 830 and we were all there at 837 and they made some excuse that they had my reservation for 815 so overall i wont be going back
- Great spotPeterVIPDined on 7/7/2014Good range of dishes. Graet music. Excellent service. Great for any occasion. Never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overhypedBKfoodlvrDined on 7/5/2014have read tons of great reviews about pearl and ash so we were really eager to try it. overall, the four of us (all foodies) were pretty disappointed with the meal and thought that the service was very in our face - making the entire meal feel rushed. the server told us that the food was "tapas like" but it really was just expensive tapas. and of the 10 dishes that we ordered, we only really like 2. i wouldn't go back and would not suggest it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/2/2014The food is really disappointing. Very odd and not altogether successful combinations of ingredients. The service was excellent, very earnest, but they are trying way too hard. Hate to be negative but there it is.Special Features:
- Nice food, great wine list but...FanfarloVIPDined on 6/30/2014Loved the food, the concept, the ambiance! Great wine list too... BUT how come a place with such a great list by the bottle has such a poor selection by the glass is a mistery for me. Maybe not. The somm (or the lady acting as somm) wasn't cool nor modern despite the efforts to pretend she is Steak tartare is excellent, Lamb belly a must have.Special Features:
- Great wine & small platessbh246Dined on 6/27/2014Good atmosphere. A bit small as most NY places. Great octopus and scallop in particular. We were late for our reservation, and they were very accommodating in helping us out. The asparagus salad had very little actual asparagus (which was fine with me), but a great fresh tangy taste.Special Features:
- Whoa..to loud talkLovesPinotNoirDined on 6/26/2014Met a friend for dinner last week. Sat at the bar. spent a lot of $$ on wine, from a great list, fairly priced, knowledgeable sommelier. If you like great wine, small plates with smaller portions of interesting fresh foods, ultra high energy levels and deafening noise levels you're going to love Pearl & Ash. Don't go if you want to shout at your dinner partner. The best place for a conversation is at the bar, easier to speak directly into each others ears or read lips. But..that means sitting on some very uncomfortable, stab at being rustic cool bar stools.Special Features:
- Good Food. Service not so much.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2014Food was solid mostly. Service was not. Waited close to 50 min after showing up promptly for reservation at 9PM for our 2 top. Drinks bought during this wait should have been comped, but were not. This was on a wednesday night.
- terrific small plates meal, butbilllVIPDined on 6/25/2014food really great (esp. meatballs), very attentive and knowlegeable somallier but benches with no backs, and a noise level forcing me to leave belore dessert, which is one of my favorite parts of dinnerSpecial Features:
- Itzy bitzyMikeS1Dined on 6/25/2014No liquor, just wine.Very small menu.After getting there they tell us they specialize in small plates.Food good, but Plates extremely small.Very expensive for what you get.Very sleek decor and eccentric service , but they play good music in background , but way too loud...must think it's a night club.If they get liquor, tone down the music and make the plates larger hhis might be a winner
- Needs a better systemMarleyVIPDined on 6/23/2014We had a reservation for 8 pm, and we were immediately met by a hostess with an iPad who told us that there were a lot of new servers and there would be a wait. We stepped up to the bar to order a glass of wine, and the hostess told us it wouldn 'to be as long. As two people got up from seats at the bar, we went to sit, and the hostess told us the seats were reserved. Then she tried to seat us at a table for four with another couple who were strangers. All of us politely declined. Finally, we were seated. The food was good, but the service was overpowering for such a small restaurant, with every sip of water being refilled. Again, food wise, it was OK, but not memorable.Special Features:
- Fresh tastes - vibrant atmosphereMissSuisseDined on 6/23/2014This restaurant serves truly great, tasty food and provides an interesting concept - you can select 6-8 reasonably priced dishes from the menu to share. The wine list is long, and includes e.g. several great wines from small producers in France. The atmosphere is lively and enjoyable. Definitely the place to go to!Special Features:
- Wonderful experience..LizzynjDined on 6/21/2014I took my fiance for his birthday there on Saturday night after reading about it on the NYT list and it was wonderful. First of all, you do have to make a reservation way in advance as they are always booked. Other than that, just go enjoy, share a few amazing dishes and wonderful wine (extensive wine list) and enjoy the ambiance. Pretty cool night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good as usualFooderVIPDined on 6/21/2014Winner combination: fine tapas-like food, good unpretentious service, and very good wine list.Special Features:
- Good not GreatBTrottaDined on 6/17/2014Octopus (Good) - Pork Meatballs (Very Good) - Flat Iron Steak (Not Great - Boring) - Cauliflower (OK - has a very distinct herb in it) Date spot - NO SPIRITS AT ALL (this is a mistake) - Extensive wine menu - small plates - food was mixed in terms of tastiness - service was ok - wine pours were lackingSpecial Features:
- Pearl & Ash is a Winner!ILive2EatDined on 6/16/2014Incredible wine list which is humanely priced and brilliantly interpreted by a passionate and genuinely charming staff. The menu manages to be experimental, fun and incredibly satisfying all at once. This place is terrific and a real breath of fresh air. Be aware,though, that it can get loud and the bench seating is not terribly comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 6/14/2014Had a reservation for 7pm on a Saturday night (nice summer weather) and the restaurant was only half full and the only a few people at the bar. The food was underwhelming, tried the dishes "the foodies" and "the food critics" raved about; octopus was good (Uncle Boons around the corner is much better), potatoes were chunky home fries and extremely salty; meatballs were overcooked, again very salty; smoked sweetbread with chicken butter & maple was too smokey overpowering the palette and leaves a smokey aftertaste, same for the duck. A very disappointing meal. Staff dress code is very casual, but patron dress code "smart casual" (noted on website), and there were some patrons in jeans and flip-flops, very confusing. Servers were attentive.
- Great vibe even better foodKingfishercooksVIPDined on 6/12/2014This place rocks the music which can impede conversation but who cares when the food is so good and the service is so warm and attentive? Danny Meyer on steroids. Love it.Special Features:
- CarolDined on 6/12/2014Food is always great. Service was off for the first time. Our waiter was good. However, wine list is massive and on two prior visits, the sommelier was prompt and great with suggestions, but this time had to wait a long time and she was not knowledgeable. Even after wine selected, it came to table incredibly slow. It was a disappointing start but the kitchen made up for it. The food is really special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pete Wells was rightbertrandofyorkDined on 6/10/2014I ate here after the NY Times restaurant critic put it on his top ten for 2013. I wasn't disappointed. Inspired menu -- and with small plates you get automatically get to sample lots of dishes.Special Features: