1179 Laurel Avenue
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rumisancarlos.com/
- Phone: 6505938500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Rumi Restaurant is committed to using local and sustainably raised foods. Our menu changes often to reflect seasonality of ingredients. Catering menus will be customized for your event with the help of our Chef and Manager.
- Private Party Facilities: Rumi's cozy dining room offers an excellent venue for special events or corporate meetings and our Chef will work with you and your budget to provide a unique dining experience using local and sustainably raised foods.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 6505938500
- Special Events: Join Us For Our Monthly Wine Tastings including Complimentary Appetizers
A word from Pazzo
Pazzo has become a neighborhood favorite: between the extraordinary fusion of fresh and locally grown California ingredients and outstanding table service, your lunch or dinner at Rumi is sure to be a delicious and satisfying dining experience. Rumi’s ingredient-driven seasonal menu features local and sustainable food and wine from Northern and Central California with flavors and influences of the Southern Mediterranean and the Western reaches of the "Silk Road."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pazzo reviews from OpenTable diners
- Consistently good!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2012Great neighborhood spot. The service was very attentive and responsive and the food was great. The kabobs are really good and wine pairing was perfect. Definitely returning again and again.Special Features:
- 1 of our 2 favorites in San Carlos!lovesfcaVIPDined on 9/21/2012We love Rumi, and have been going there for a while now. But things just got even better. Rumi managed to hire our favorite waiter of all time, Michael (we knew him when he worked at Town). Some waiter's and waitresses just stick out amongst the rest, and that's Michael. So we will visit Rumi more now, and definitely ask for Michael's section. He has the ability to be there at the right time, is helpful when needed, but never pushy or in your face. Our favorites here are the beef skewers on top of the pearl cous cous - but have had everything from the lamb, gnocchi, pasta and steak. Everything has been cooked to perfection and tastes great. I've introduced many new friends to Rumi, who now find it a favorite as well.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, great portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2012Rumi was just perfect for a nice, quite birthday dinner for my husband. The food was just outstanding and service was great. The staff recommended a red wine my husband really enjoyed and also came through on my request for a birthday desert (their bread pudding which was phenomenal and just hit the spot)!!! They also have wine tasting every so often, so thats exciting.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant ...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2012Our family of four adults agrees on Rumi's. We don't agree on much like most families but we all like Rumi's and we come here often. They also have Ed's Red wine. I have never seen it anywhere else and our family has one beer drinker, one cocktail drinker, one red wine drinker and one white wine drinker, but we all like Ed's Red. They have a vegetarian dish of five different vegetarian sides that I really like. Their Tandoori oven makes wonderful flatbread appetizers.Special Features:
- Great service and food! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/10/2012Great service and food! We always enjoy coming to this restaurant!Special Features:
- Cute small little place ontotsDined on 8/1/2011Cute small little place on Laurel. I've been here several times and the food has always been good.Special Features:
- Highly Recommend!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/10/2011Rumi is a diamond in the rough!! I would recommend Rumi for anyone who really likes to taste their food - food that is not over cooked, over slated and seasoned, pure tasting and in a wide vaiety of choices. They have tapas like sizes so you can taste a few different plates as well as dinner options. All are wonderful. I highly recommend Rumi for dates, friends meet ups. It's not pretentious or snotty, very well put together and great ambiance.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemFanOfJoyaVIPDined on 2/26/2011Rumi is by far our favorite restaurant on the Peninsula. Food is awesome and tasty. Menu changes frequently. Our favorite waitress is lovely, entertaining, etc. a true hostess. The prices reasonable. I highly recommend this place. And.... parking is easy!Special Features:
- Very good food. Service canOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/18/2011Very good food. Service can be slow or "spotty" at times.
- We are regulars and this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/18/2010We are regulars and this place is always satisfying. Menu doesn't change too much, but the small plates give a nice taste without having to commit to a large portion.Special Features:
- I was a bit disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2010I was a bit disappointed with our meal the last time we visited this restaurant. I felt bad esp. for my cousin, who was not happy with her dish. I suggested this place as we really enjoyed our first visit. Not sure if we'll be returning to this restaurantas I didn't think the food we had at the time was worth the cost.
- I had the Rumi salad withDaveyKnowsDined on 7/7/2010I had the Rumi salad with the pepper prawns and it was surprisingly very good with flavors different from every day. A very pleasant service. I highly recommend this restaurant and will return when I am in the area.Special Features:
- A neighborhood favorite whereOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/14/2010A neighborhood favorite where we will return again and again.
- The service was good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/20/2010The service was good, but the food wasn't as good as I had remembered when I went for lunch two years ago. Portions were HUGE.Special Features:
- Always a treat! Our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2009Always a treat! Our favorite restaurant in San Carlos.Special Features:
- went there for lunch withPippaDined on 7/1/2009went there for lunch with a group, we seem to be the only ones, and yet our lunch took 30 minutes and still was not served at the same time. I did like the food, but they need to do something about the service, food 4 stars service 1 star and ambiance 31/2.
- We've eaten here 3 times.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2009We've eaten here 3 times. My overall impression is that the food is good but the whole experience has been ruined by extremely poor service. We last dined here on Valentines day and received cold food and indifferent service. Don't plan to return.Special Features:
- If Rumi were at the otherOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/17/2008If Rumi were at the other end of Laurel street, it would be packed every night. The food and service are exceptional. I first tried this place because it offered a 1000 point reservation - I went back at least three times in the following two weeks. Despite being a grown-up restaurant, my kids really like it - even the one who is a picky eater. Venture down south of Brittan to discover this gem. You'll be glad you made the trip.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in SanOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 11/1/2008The best restaurant in San Carlos. The seasonal menu is filled with very fresh offerings - I see the chef at the local farmer's market often. The staff, chef and owner are all friendly and eager to please. Modest but well selected wine list of local and exotic wines. Intimate and upscale ambience, especially nice on a cold autumn day.Special Features:
- Unique restaurant with a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2008Unique restaurant with a very interesting menu that is always enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great food and great ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/7/2008Great food and great ambiance. Not a ton of variety on the menu, but definitely enough! Recommended to try if you are near San Carlos.Special Features:
- The service was appallinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/10/2008The service was appallingly slow. Food was good but there were major gaps between courses when the entire tables had long finished the prior course and was sitting awkwardly. The meal for 5 took well over 2 hours. Obviously, we didn't go there looking for a quick meal but 2.5 hours was way too long.
- Very creative, flavorful cuisine.FanOfJoyaVIPDined on 9/9/2008Very creative, flavorful cuisine. Great staff. A pleasure to go there!Special Features:
- Warm atmosphere. The foodLucy7083VIPDined on 9/5/2008Warm atmosphere. The food was very tasty. Mediterranean with a mid east bend. I had the skewer combination and the meat was tender and savoy. The flatbread and three dips were good. My daughter raved about the halibut with banana chips. Dress is casual.Special Features:
- This is a great place to goOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2008This is a great place to go have dinner or lunch before you go pick someone up at the airport. An unusual menu, great serviceSpecial Features:
- We have never been to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/6/2008We have never been to this restaurant before. In fact, we had no idea it even existed. The only reason we went there was because we found it on opentable. Overall, the food was good and the service was ok. It is a small place, but good for the area.
- We've been meaning to go toFishFoodVIPDined on 8/3/2008We've been meaning to go to Rumi since it opened and I wish we had gone sooner because it's the best restaurant we've been to in quite a while. The place is lovely - very nice decor and very clean. The food was spectacular! We had appetizers, salad, main course (Mahi mahi for me - wonderful crust and not overcooked or dry) and dessert (Mocha panna cotta was great) and every one of us loved everything we had picked. The portions were good sized and it was all cooked perfectly. Different flavors and combinations of flavors but it all worked perfectly together. We loved it so much we'll be going back in less than a week for a special birthday party.Special Features:
- The food was so deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/1/2008The food was so delicious AND interesting, the staff was attentive and no one blinked at our two little boys.Special Features:
- Fantastic food- esp. the breadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2008Fantastic food- esp. the bread and dip to start things off. Wonderful atmosphere and service- we'll back soon!Special Features:
- I really liked the decor andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2008I really liked the decor and ambiance, and they have great tea!Special Features:
- Limited menu but what theyluv2dine2VIPDined on 7/30/2008Limited menu but what they have is very good, a nice touch is the little appetizer they give when first seated. Very friendly and I recommend it.Special Features:
- Too pricey. The food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/30/2008Too pricey. The food was good, but the prices and the food didn't match. The rest. is very nice, very comfortable and pretty. Our server was terrific. It's a neighborhood rest, actually a little off the beaten path. We probably will not go back.
- First time there, was a greatLawrenceVIPDined on 7/29/2008First time there, was a great discovery. Interior very nicely done, service very friendly yet not intrusive, atmosphere was nice, quiet, food was excellent. Creative combinations of natural flavors, fresh ingredients and bursting with flavor, each dish was delightful. The 3 course prix fixe menu matched with 3 wine tastings was a great deal. The halibut was cooked to perfection, not overdone, like so many places. This is a neighborhood gem that has not been discovered.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurant, quite upscalejgmjicDined on 7/25/2008Lovely restaurant, quite upscale for the location, which is about six blocks away from the main restaurant area on San Carlos. Wine-bar style presentation of wines (half glass, full glass, half carafe, etc.) and better than average food quality and presentation.
- The ingredients were highDWoodVIPDined on 7/19/2008The ingredients were high quality but underseasoned. We both felt that it was way overpriced for what it was. I did very much like that they offered wine pours in 2 different sizes so you can try different wines but I am not sure I will come back.
- They need air conditioningToniVIPDined on 7/18/2008They need air conditioning It was really warm in the restaurant but not hot outside.Special Features:
- Visited Rumi on a TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2008Visited Rumi on a Tuesday night and liked it so much went back on Sunday night with 3 others for a special occasion dinner.Special Features:
- Food was well spiced withOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/12/2008Food was well spiced with generous portions. Service was friendly and attentive. Restaurant was off to an excellent start until - The owner's youthful relatives and their yappy dog were giggling and carrying on throughout my dinner definitely stealing any sense of ambiance or a quiet dinner. The children's mother/aunt reminded the girls to be quiet a couple of times but that only lasted for a few minutes. Talk about about adding insult to injury... It was either my medium rare lamb and beef kaboob or the baby arugala salad that had me on or over the toilet for a cool 36 hours following the meal. I'm glad there are many choices for restaurants in San Carlos. I do not expect returning to Rumi in the near future.Special Features:
- THe food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/12/2008THe food was delicious and the menu was quite original. The owner takes very good care of you and the wine list was very nice as well. We will definitely go back soon.Special Features:
- Overall it was a pleasantRoseVIPDined on 7/10/2008Overall it was a pleasant experience, with a nice crowd, and good food. Not sure why I still didn't receive points for this reservation, but that aside, the restaurant is worth returning to.Special Features: