Paul's Homewood Cafe
919 West Street
Annapolis, MD 21401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Paul's Homewood Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paulscafe-annapolis.com/
- Phone: (410) 267-7891 ext. 104
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Greek
- Executive Chef: Michael Hollywood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Nicholas 4102677891x202
A word from Paul's Homewood Cafe
Blending the tastes of the Chesapeake with traditional Mediterranean cuisine, Paul’s Homewood Cafe will entice you with an intriguing menu. Choose from a selection of Mediterranean and Greek specialties, or American favorites including grilled steaks and our version of the Maryland crab cake. Our popular dining room has the classy, yet casual feel of a European bistro and there is a separate dining room upstairs for private gatherings. Located away from the bustle of the city's historic district, our Zagat-rated restaurant offers plenty of free, off-street parking. If you never visited us, come experience our family-friendly atmosphere and the food that has made Paul's Homewood Cafe an Annapolis favorite for more than 60 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Paul's Homewood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Annapolis ›
Paul's Homewood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (19)romantic (15)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (6)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Neighborhood place2worldtravelersVIPDined on 11/21/2014We made reservations for Friday night. Called on our way over to see if they had room at the bar since we were early, and they reserved two seats for us - very nice! Once we were seated at our table the restaurant filled up and they were not prepared for so many guests at once. It took a while to get our first and second drinks, but once we ordered, our food came out quickly and was delicious. The Greek food on the menu is particularly outstanding, except for the dolmades, which we found the filling to be much too dry. The moussaka is delicious - excellent bechamel and very rich. Lamb kabob was nicely flavored but a tad overcooked. Others at the table had the strip steak w/ Greek potatoes and they loved it. We shared tiramisu and coconut pie for dessert and both were delicious. The atmosphere, price, and quality of food at Paul's make it a wonderful neighborhood place that we will try to frequent more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you can't visit Greece, go to Paul's....AnnapolisfoodieDined on 11/17/2014Paul's is one of Annapolis' treasures! Located off West Street, it looks like a home from outside but has a spacious, metro interior. The service is impeccable--they definitely work as an enthusiastic team to serve you and follow-up. We have been there with our Tai Chi group but also as a couple. Regardless of the number, they welcome and serve you with gusto. The menu is extensive and very appealing but we cannot depart from their 3 mezes dinner which offers you a range of choices including moussaka, dolmades, spanakopita, pastitsio and other items. Our son however devoured every ounce of his seafood and pasta. Other friends hAve raved anout their lamb chops and steak. They always start you with their olives and bread! It's all in the details and they are experts. Kudos to them for also featuring the artwork of local artists to enjoy during our delicious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice low-key date night!WeeatoutDined on 11/8/2014Our server was excellent; on-the-spot but not a bit intrusive. The salads were fresh and delicious and were not out of a bag. We tried the cslri for an appetizer and were pleasantly surprised. They were crispy and not a bit chewy. My salmon was cooked perfectly and the chicken Marsala was very nice. Our only complaint is that the dining experience was a little too quick. We will ask for a slower place next time but there will definitely be anect time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food hiding in AnnapolisfrenchieDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed the menu at Paul's Homewood Cafe. We feasted on the Greek Mezze meal and it was very tasty. Plan on going back to try the other items on the menu. Good food - easy parking - delightful and friendly staff.Special Features:
- ned2knowDined on 10/17/2014Waiter was wonderful....we took all of his recommendations and were quite pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at Paul'sCapsFanVIPDined on 10/12/2014Though I've been to Paul's may times, usually for lunch, this was our first brunch there. We enjoyed it. The menu has lots of excellent choices, the ones we had were good, and the price is reasonable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014One of our favorite places. Third visit, try to take our Mid there anytime we are in town. Miss your rockfish sliders. Took a Greek friend last visit and he was very pressed and said the baklava was the best he's had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall enjoyablehanktooDined on 10/10/2014I gave them 5 stars across the board. It is not that any one thing was 5 stars, it was the whole package that worked so well together that makes it a 5 (and I give them grudgingly). The ambience is very friendly and vibrant. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was reasonably priced , served hot and tasty with generous portions. Topped the evening off with Ouzo and left with a smile.Special Features:
- Excellent family mealCandCDined on 10/10/2014In town recently for USNA parents weekend and had the opportunity to take our kids out for a very enjoyable evening. Each of us ordered something different from sea bass, salads, mussles to soft shelled crabs. Everything was tasty and well prepared. Service was spot on and we received all courses well timed. We are making Paul's a regular stop for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotDennisDined on 10/4/2014Paul's is a great lock restaurant. They have a good diverse menu for any taste. Friendly staff and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in AnnapolisBp1219Dined on 9/18/2014Great food. Great, efficient and friendly service. All of the staff including the server were friendly and knowledgeable. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey NoiseyAnonDined on 9/6/2014Food and service was very good, but the noise level was so high we could barely hear ourselves talk. For that reason alone, we will not go back.Special Features:
- Fresh food, friendly atmosphere!LuvsDinnerOutDined on 9/5/2014Paul's Homewood Cafe can be relied on for great food in a very pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect fish.....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/3/2014Seems that lately every restaurant wants to over cook the fish.....well, not here....it was done perfectly. We tried a few Greek appetizers which were enjoyed by all. Desserts were also scrumptious. As an extra added bonus, we had Frank for our server...combined with great food, it made our whole dining experience a totally perfect night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food a disappointmentSLE1600Dined on 8/30/2014My dinner choice of Hooper Island Soft shell crabs was not available at 7:00 p.m. which is relatively early for Saturday dinner. My alternative selection of Salmon Chipotle was overcooked with a sauce that tasted like it consisted mainly of ketchup and not chipotle and bleu cheese as advertised. The "bed of baby spinach" that the salmon arrived on was nothing more than a pile of uncooked greens probably dumped straight from the plastic bag it came in. Additionally, our server told our party of five that he had staggered the appetizer and dinner orders so that we'd have time in between courses (appetizer, salad, dinner selection) to finish each. That did not occur and dinner arrived almost simultaneously with the salads.Special Features:
- Annapolis GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Paul's is my favorite Annapolis spot. I discovered it when living in town and loved taking a leisurely stroll to and from the cafe. The ambiance is the perfect blend of urban chic and neighborhood cafe. The service is always spot on and the food is why I now drive 20-30 minutes (depending on traffic) to enjoy a meal here. Any of the lamb dishes are guaranteed to be perfect, melt-in-your-mouth delights. The Greek sample plates are also never-fail choices. The wine list is extensive and the staff can assist if you are not a connoisseur. Worth finding!!Special Features:
- Great for GroupsShannonVIPDined on 8/25/2014Our sorority meets at Pauls at least 3 times per year. The upstairs is perfect for small gatherings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014This is our 2nd time here. We had a reservation & we were seated right away even though we were 15 min early. We had a great & attentive waitress. We ordered the sampler appetizer which was outstanding! My husband got the seafood sampler which he loved! I went out of my comfort zone & tried the pick 3 mezes meals. Chicken kabob, grape leaves w rice & meat inside & a pasta, cheese & meat dish. I didn't like the grape leaves 1 at all. The pasta 1 tasted like flowers & the chicken kabob was pretty bland even w the dip sauce. I wouldn't eat those items again, but I was definitely ordering stuff I've never eaten before. I would 100% go back to this restaurant. We also got the cheesecake brownie dessert which was outstanding as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerTimothyDined on 8/14/2014We made reservations to celebrate a birthday. Had been before and remembered that it was a great experience. Food was exceptional and service was above reproach. Appetizers were great. We all ordered different dinners selections and were very pleased. The atmosphere was really nice as it was very quiet and pleasant. Will definitely not wait for a special occasion to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 244 reviews are from the Paul's Homewood Cafe reviews archive.
- Great Locals restaurantDennisDined on 7/5/2014Food and service were excellent. Enjoyed some of the specials.Special Features:
- DisappointingMotekVIPDined on 6/28/2014This was not a particularly pleasant experience. Service was subpar, but due to obvious understaffing. Our server was the only one we saw covering 8 tables and she was quite frazzled trying to keep up with the workload. In fact when she finally made it to our table, she asked how we were doing and I said,"How are you?" to which she replied, "Busy!" (Off putting). There were flies hovering around our (indoor) table while we were eating. The food is just mediocre, despite a lovely list of specials. Disappointing. We won't be rushing back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014As always, Paul's serves wonderful food and it's always enjoyed. Everything was wonderful!!!Special Features:
- Great easy diningBirthdayDined on 6/26/2014Paul's did not dissappoint! Nice easy dining experience. The food was great. The kitchen was a tad slow this visit but that was due to a large part just ahead of us. Very nice to be able to enjoy a good meal in a pleasant, unrushed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always goodadchotinVIPDined on 6/25/2014One of our goto places Paul's never disappoints and always impresses first timers, two of whom accompanied us on our latest visit. Bison meatloaf, mussels, clams, moussaka, watermelon salad were all devoured. Once again, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the GreekDanaeDined on 6/21/2014We've been here several times and have always had the meze platter. It's a lot of good Greek food at a very reasonable price. Get the calamari too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014This was our second time there and the food was very good but we waited 25 minutes which is rather long for breakfast food. Not sure if it was because it was Father's Day and that the kitchen was over whelmed. Nice place for breakfast will try again for dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goldbergdogsniteoutDined on 6/13/2014WAITER was excellent---he made great suggestions --everyone's food was terrific-----2 of us had the meza plates, and it was more than enough. It also gives you something of everything you want to try. I had the fried egg plant appetizer with balsamic reduction. It was honestly one of the best appetizers I have ever had. The only negative is the noise level---and our guests mentioned it during the meal. But I guess that means there are a lot of happy diners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul's Homewooddinnercompanion2Dined on 6/11/2014Paul's is a lovely locally owned restaurant. For people in our area, this is the "go to" spot for a great meal in a thoughtfully eclectic environment. The owners and staff are genuinely friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great date night place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014My wife and I have been several times for date night and it is great! the food is good. There is something for everyone. It's a great mix of greek food and local favorites (e.g. crab cakes and fish).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchBrunchLoverDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I just discovered this neighborhood gem a few months ago. Since then, we've been back several times for brunch, and even invited / recommended this place to our friends. We bragged about the great food, reasonable prices, and complimentary mimosas & bloody Mary's. Unfortunately, we invited friends and fam to join us on Mother's Day and the menu food and prices were changed. Prices were raised and The mimosas were $5 each. The food was fair. They decided to provide "candied" bacon, which was terrible. It was thickly coated with crusty brown sugar. Awful experience. My husband and I were put off by them raising the prices. Greedy business practice left a bad impression with all of us. No more holidays at Paul's.Special Features:
- FANTASTIChikerDined on 5/6/2014Pauls Homewood Café was fantastic. Haven't been there since the redo - but it still has the great atmosphere it always had. Food was fantastic and the service superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul's Homewood ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Great little place. We were seated right away and the service was excellent. I love to see a place where there is teamwork. Everyone assisted to make sure our water glasses were full, empty dishes were removed, etc. Mariquis? our bus person was especially attentive! Food was very good and so was the locally produced organic ice cream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CyndiDined on 4/25/2014The food was a little off on Friday night April 25. They over cooked the lamb chops, missed some ingredients in the Greek salad and over cooked the veggies. Rather dissapointing with the food. But the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Last minute reservationLivetoocloseDined on 4/18/2014My mom was visiting from New Hampshire for a few days and she didn't want another dive bar. Paul's is far from that. It's a beautiful restaurant and bar with decent priced small plates and entrees. They have my favorite wine so I was sold as soon as we ordered drinks. The service was amazing. We were sitting at our table within minutes with the reservation that I had made. I ordered the mussels and they were so good. I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and LOUDPonderdineDined on 4/15/2014My evening at Paul's would have been perfect but for the noise level. I would avoid the downstairs room nearest West Street during peak hours-- it's deafening. All four of us had to lean in and practically yell to be heard above the other parties all doing the same. If I can't find a quieter part of the place, I won't be going back-- at least when it's likely to be full.Special Features:
- Great Healthy FoodBirthdayDined on 4/15/2014Paul's has great Mediterranean food. It's a good place to dine if you're gluten-free. The staff and chef are very accommodating to special requests.Special Features:
- Years of EnjoymentmaclobsterDined on 4/5/2014Paul's has been a favorite of ours. It is gracious yet informal with a very friendly and attentive staff to complement the ample and varied menu. We took some first time visitors to Annapolis for dinner and they were as impressed and enjoyed Paul's as we have for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek Inspire FoodmeggiebDined on 4/4/2014The food at Paul's is very good and there are lots of options from small plates to full meals. Fabulous tirimisu.Special Features:
- Just Right!MaggiVIPDined on 4/2/2014From food to service to atmosphere, everything was just right. Thank you.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchCandCDined on 3/23/2014We found this nice place by reading reviews and wanting to go somewhere not near the harbor. Brunch was excellent. Many tasty choices and excellent service. We will be back and now have a new place away from the tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.