Paul's Homewood Cafe
919 West Street
Annapolis, MD 21401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Paul's Homewood Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paulscafe-annapolis.com/
- Phone: 4102677891x104
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Greek
- Executive Chef: Michael Hollywood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Chris Nicholas 4102677891x202
A word from Paul's Homewood Cafe
Blending the tastes of the Chesapeake with traditional Mediterranean cuisine, Paul’s Homewood Cafe will entice you with an intriguing menu. Choose from a selection of Mediterranean and Greek specialties, or American favorites including grilled steaks and our version of the Maryland crab cake. Our popular dining room has the classy, yet casual feel of a European bistro and there is a separate dining room upstairs for private gatherings. Located away from the bustle of the city's historic district, our Zagat-rated restaurant offers plenty of free, off-street parking. If you never visited us, come experience our family-friendly atmosphere and the food that has made Paul's Homewood Cafe an Annapolis favorite for more than 60 years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Paul's Homewood Cafe - Best Restaurants in Annapolis ›
Paul's Homewood Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (20)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (15)romantic (13)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Annapolis GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Paul's is my favorite Annapolis spot. I discovered it when living in town and loved taking a leisurely stroll to and from the cafe. The ambiance is the perfect blend of urban chic and neighborhood cafe. The service is always spot on and the food is why I now drive 20-30 minutes (depending on traffic) to enjoy a meal here. Any of the lamb dishes are guaranteed to be perfect, melt-in-your-mouth delights. The Greek sample plates are also never-fail choices. The wine list is extensive and the staff can assist if you are not a connoisseur. Worth finding!!Special Features:
- Great for GroupsShannonVIPDined on 8/25/2014Our sorority meets at Pauls at least 3 times per year. The upstairs is perfect for small gatherings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014This is our 2nd time here. We had a reservation & we were seated right away even though we were 15 min early. We had a great & attentive waitress. We ordered the sampler appetizer which was outstanding! My husband got the seafood sampler which he loved! I went out of my comfort zone & tried the pick 3 mezes meals. Chicken kabob, grape leaves w rice & meat inside & a pasta, cheese & meat dish. I didn't like the grape leaves 1 at all. The pasta 1 tasted like flowers & the chicken kabob was pretty bland even w the dip sauce. I wouldn't eat those items again, but I was definitely ordering stuff I've never eaten before. I would 100% go back to this restaurant. We also got the cheesecake brownie dessert which was outstanding as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerTimothyDined on 8/14/2014We made reservations to celebrate a birthday. Had been before and remembered that it was a great experience. Food was exceptional and service was above reproach. Appetizers were great. We all ordered different dinners selections and were very pleased. The atmosphere was really nice as it was very quiet and pleasant. Will definitely not wait for a special occasion to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Locals restaurantDennisDined on 7/5/2014Food and service were excellent. Enjoyed some of the specials.Special Features:
- DisappointingMotekVIPDined on 6/28/2014This was not a particularly pleasant experience. Service was subpar, but due to obvious understaffing. Our server was the only one we saw covering 8 tables and she was quite frazzled trying to keep up with the workload. In fact when she finally made it to our table, she asked how we were doing and I said,"How are you?" to which she replied, "Busy!" (Off putting). There were flies hovering around our (indoor) table while we were eating. The food is just mediocre, despite a lovely list of specials. Disappointing. We won't be rushing back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014As always, Paul's serves wonderful food and it's always enjoyed. Everything was wonderful!!!Special Features:
- Great easy diningBirthdayDined on 6/26/2014Paul's did not dissappoint! Nice easy dining experience. The food was great. The kitchen was a tad slow this visit but that was due to a large part just ahead of us. Very nice to be able to enjoy a good meal in a pleasant, unrushed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always goodadchotinVIPDined on 6/25/2014One of our goto places Paul's never disappoints and always impresses first timers, two of whom accompanied us on our latest visit. Bison meatloaf, mussels, clams, moussaka, watermelon salad were all devoured. Once again, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the GreekDanaeDined on 6/21/2014We've been here several times and have always had the meze platter. It's a lot of good Greek food at a very reasonable price. Get the calamari too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014This was our second time there and the food was very good but we waited 25 minutes which is rather long for breakfast food. Not sure if it was because it was Father's Day and that the kitchen was over whelmed. Nice place for breakfast will try again for dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goldbergdogsniteoutDined on 6/13/2014WAITER was excellent---he made great suggestions --everyone's food was terrific-----2 of us had the meza plates, and it was more than enough. It also gives you something of everything you want to try. I had the fried egg plant appetizer with balsamic reduction. It was honestly one of the best appetizers I have ever had. The only negative is the noise level---and our guests mentioned it during the meal. But I guess that means there are a lot of happy diners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paul's Homewooddinnercompanion2Dined on 6/11/2014Paul's is a lovely locally owned restaurant. For people in our area, this is the "go to" spot for a great meal in a thoughtfully eclectic environment. The owners and staff are genuinely friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great date night place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014My wife and I have been several times for date night and it is great! the food is good. There is something for everyone. It's a great mix of greek food and local favorites (e.g. crab cakes and fish).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchBrunchLoverDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I just discovered this neighborhood gem a few months ago. Since then, we've been back several times for brunch, and even invited / recommended this place to our friends. We bragged about the great food, reasonable prices, and complimentary mimosas & bloody Mary's. Unfortunately, we invited friends and fam to join us on Mother's Day and the menu food and prices were changed. Prices were raised and The mimosas were $5 each. The food was fair. They decided to provide "candied" bacon, which was terrible. It was thickly coated with crusty brown sugar. Awful experience. My husband and I were put off by them raising the prices. Greedy business practice left a bad impression with all of us. No more holidays at Paul's.Special Features:
- FANTASTIChikerDined on 5/6/2014Pauls Homewood Café was fantastic. Haven't been there since the redo - but it still has the great atmosphere it always had. Food was fantastic and the service superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 232 reviews are from the Paul's Homewood Cafe reviews archive.
- Paul's Homewood ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Great little place. We were seated right away and the service was excellent. I love to see a place where there is teamwork. Everyone assisted to make sure our water glasses were full, empty dishes were removed, etc. Mariquis? our bus person was especially attentive! Food was very good and so was the locally produced organic ice cream!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CyndiDined on 4/25/2014The food was a little off on Friday night April 25. They over cooked the lamb chops, missed some ingredients in the Greek salad and over cooked the veggies. Rather dissapointing with the food. But the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Last minute reservationLivetoocloseDined on 4/18/2014My mom was visiting from New Hampshire for a few days and she didn't want another dive bar. Paul's is far from that. It's a beautiful restaurant and bar with decent priced small plates and entrees. They have my favorite wine so I was sold as soon as we ordered drinks. The service was amazing. We were sitting at our table within minutes with the reservation that I had made. I ordered the mussels and they were so good. I will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and LOUDPonderdineDined on 4/15/2014My evening at Paul's would have been perfect but for the noise level. I would avoid the downstairs room nearest West Street during peak hours-- it's deafening. All four of us had to lean in and practically yell to be heard above the other parties all doing the same. If I can't find a quieter part of the place, I won't be going back-- at least when it's likely to be full.Special Features:
- Great Healthy FoodBirthdayDined on 4/15/2014Paul's has great Mediterranean food. It's a good place to dine if you're gluten-free. The staff and chef are very accommodating to special requests.Special Features:
- Years of EnjoymentmaclobsterDined on 4/5/2014Paul's has been a favorite of ours. It is gracious yet informal with a very friendly and attentive staff to complement the ample and varied menu. We took some first time visitors to Annapolis for dinner and they were as impressed and enjoyed Paul's as we have for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek Inspire FoodmeggiebDined on 4/4/2014The food at Paul's is very good and there are lots of options from small plates to full meals. Fabulous tirimisu.Special Features:
- Just Right!MaggiVIPDined on 4/2/2014From food to service to atmosphere, everything was just right. Thank you.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchCandCDined on 3/23/2014We found this nice place by reading reviews and wanting to go somewhere not near the harbor. Brunch was excellent. Many tasty choices and excellent service. We will be back and now have a new place away from the tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family owned with plenty to enjoyMaryland2014Dined on 3/22/2014We have eaten at Paul's twice in the past month. The positives is the ambience, cocktails, wine selection and service. My selection of entrees both times has been okay. I ordered the lamb shish kebob and they were overcooked. However, my spouse ordered a special, lamb chops which were cooked the temp I ordered for my own and were excellent. I've even found their Greek selections wanting, however it doesn't discourage me from coming back. And whomever was attending bar, the Cosmopolitan was "perfect'!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and great valueTabithaVIPDined on 3/21/2014We love Paul's. The staff is friendly and reliable, and the food is usually very good, hot, and moderately priced. The hostess (she may be an owner) will really try to accommodate you even if you don't have reservations -- but do try to get reservations, because this popular neighborhood gem fills up fast!Special Features:
- Frog Leg Wine DinnerSusieBVIPDined on 3/20/2014Absolutely lovely dinner - great wines, and fabulous food. We found the food pairings imaginative and absolutely loved the seafood course - the papparadelle with the chipotle hit the right note of bite to interplay with the wine. Every course was well executed, and delivered at the appropriate temperature, which is no easy feat when serving a group that size. We'll continue to come back - for dinner, and for special evenings!! Thanks for hosting this great winery - we're going to be in touch with them about bringing a group down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinerhappydinerDined on 3/18/2014Wow, the food here is just delicious. Greek selections but also excellent seafood. Incredible small plates and appetizers. reservations are a good idea!Special Features:
- Always great and Mia made it betterSteveinANPVIPDined on 3/17/2014I've been to this restaurant several times before but this was the first time with my friend and her daughter who wanted to try Greek food. Our server, Mia, was so patient and accommodating to explain the differences between the Meze dinner choices that even I learned something! She was cheery the whole time and made herself available for more questions even while being quite busy with her other tables including a large group seated next to us. This is a great place with great food and a nice atmosphere. It's definitely one of the top spots to go to in Annapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best waiter I've had yet in Annap.!notanotherusernameDined on 3/15/2014The one thing I've never liked about going out to eat is the master-servant dynamic between the wait-person and me. That might sound weird: many people go to restaurants precisely in order to be served. But if you're still reading, maybe you've had some of the same feelings I've had. In any case, at Paul's our waiter made the dining experience so relaxed and easy that I didn't feel as if the relationship between us and him were unequal. He was just himself, which turned out to be charming. He was neither too invasive nor too scarce: he always seemed to be there right when we needed something--he just intuited it. He could easily work at a four-star restaurant in some large, fancy city, but I'm glad we have him here in Annapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in AnnapolisElisabettaDined on 3/4/2014I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. Everything from the food to the friendly service is number one - I would like to give it more than five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemLicksterDined on 3/1/2014Found this off -the-beaten path restaurant during Restaurant Week 2014. It had high reviews on Trip Advisor so we thought we'd give them a shot. Although they seemed to be a bit overwhelmed when we first arrived (no hostess greeting for almost 5 minutes despite showing up right on time for our reservation), once we were seated it was a very pleasurable experience. The food was very good and the service was top notch. The Oysters Rockefeller and Pork Osso Bucco were both amazing. We will most certainly be back and recommend this restaurant to friends. It is just a shame that we didn't find this gem until only recently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but lacking in ambiencemature123Dined on 3/1/2014Chose this restaurant b/c of their cuisine and specials for Restaurant Week. We didn't expect to be seated next to a party of 7 women who thought they were alone in a room. The acoustics did not allow for easy conversation. We were in a hurry to eat and get out just to have some quiet. Food was good; we might go back at a very early time to experience the Greek cuisine.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014My husband and I enjoy going to Paul's. Great food and a nice atmosphere. We have brought a number of friends with us and they all end up coming back.Special Features:
- The thoroughly enjoyed ourKristinaDined on 2/27/2014The thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Paul's. The service was friendly and attentive and the food was delicious. There were lots of things on the menu that we wanted to try and, after such a positive experience, we will definitely go back for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week go, but never againOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2014We went for restaurant week. Our service was horrible because they were under staffed. A dish came out wrong, we waited for drinks for a very long time on multiple occasions, & although the pork ossobucco was very good the grouper tasted like a frozen tv meal. Not sure if we will go back.
- Dont go for Restaurant WeekNaptownenewbieDined on 2/27/2014A girlfriend and I came here for Restaurant week hoping to get a good taste of the menu so we could return again. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It seems they put dishes not on the menu on the restaurant week menu instead of making their dishes smaller to match the price. They were out of the 2 dinner options I wanted to try, and the dessert I was interested in. I opted for a steak which was underdone and not very flavorful. I also got the flourless chocolate cake, which was so bad, I still cannot eat chocolate cake. It was thick and cold and just tasted like dry pudding skin. Sadly, even though it is close to my home, I don't see myself returning for a while. It appears people have good experiences, maybe forgo restaurant week!Special Features:
- Only Place For Me in AnnapolisGlobetrekkerDined on 2/16/2014This is a gem of a place. Plagued with tourist trap pubs and chain food slop, Annapolis is a real food desert. Paul's is respite - a family-run gem where the owners care about quality and service. The food is always fresh and high quality. Sunday brunch is fabulous and I enjoy their seafood options. Each and every time, the service has been friendly. Only complaint: fresh-squeezed juice in their complimentary mimosas would be nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines amazingGeorgeDined on 2/14/2014Great service, great small resturant feel. Fish was amazing, Chilean sea bass. Girlfriend had seafood pasta dish. She said it was very good, and spicy. Wine list was plentifull, we went with an Argentina pino nior. Everything was cooked in house and prepared beautifully. Food was hot but definitely not microwaved. I have worked as a bartender and server for a combined 7 years, and I was very impressed with this place. I will definitely return. Recommend for special occasions like birthday, anniversary, or just a romantic night out. Thank you Paul's, GeorgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.