Pasture - Charlottesville
2050 Bond St
Charlottesville, VA 22901Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pasture - Charlottesville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pastureva.com/
- Phone: 4349732270x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11 am - 3 pm, Sunday 11 am - 4 pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Pasture - Charlottesville
When I think about southern food, a few things come immediately to mind: sharing, fresh ingredients, family and friends, and conversation around the table. here at pasture, we hope to bring all of those things together for a newer experience in southern dining. instead of the more traditional large portions, we have put together a menu of small plates and some big plates to share and be enjoyed by the whole table. we use the best products we can from a group of some of Virginia's best farmers and producers. local ham, Virginia cheeses, fresh fish and shell fish, meat, and vegetables all make their way onto our menu seasonally. - Jason AlleyContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Pasture - Charlottesville - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Pasture - Charlottesville reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (1)Show More
- Soup!NoraTVIPDined on 10/4/2014Pasture changes the menu to prepare seasonal vegetables. At our visit, the special soup was a creamy parsnip with mushroom garnish. The wonderful, delicate taste and aroma of parsnips was allowed to come forth and the mushrooms were a delightful garnish. It was a perfect first course for a chilly, fall evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- House Made, Locally SourcedTyrkonaDined on 10/1/2014I've been a fan of Pasture for quite some time now. Several times, something on the frequently-changing menu has caught my eye and I've wondered why I would want to order 'that,' I never like 'that,' and yet Pasture's version of 'that' ends up being FABULOUS. They source as much as they can locally, and there's a huge focus on fresh, so the menu changes. Yes, there's another Pasture in Richmond, but this is NOT a chain where everything served is pre-made and comes out of a can or a freezer far away. I hear they're changing to BBQ in a few weeks. I'll be sorry to see some of my favorite menu items go (though if they can't get the quality ingredients that week, they go anyway) but am excited to see what they come up with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not for the pricelkeithDined on 9/27/2014I enjoyed my meal, a starter plate with grits and black eyed peas but found all of the items to be too expensive for the amount of food and for the contents of the meal.Special Features:
- Great local spotbstrongDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I are new to town, and we've been to Pasture twice already! The food is original twists on familiar favorites. The fried bread and butter pickles are my favorite treat. We have tried a lot of the menu, and every thing has been wonderful. We went back the second time and took family with us. Everyone loved it! I wish I could remember the name of the man who was our server. He was so attentive and nice. Made us feel very welcome. This will be a regular spot for us!Special Features:
- Pasture a consistent pleasureElsieCAVIPDined on 8/30/2014We always have a great dining experience at Pasture whether we're in the mood for burger, a small plate, or a gourmet meal.Special Features:
- Love rhe small plates!NoraTVIPDined on 8/15/2014With a group of five, one of whom was a toddler, Pasture's small plates offer an appealing variety of tastes. The sauted spinach with chopped eggs was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The fried clams are the best this side of tidewater and the grits and black-eyed peas were new to us and reminded us of the low country. And though it is not listed on the cocktail menu, the bar made a dynamite Sidecar. And Pasture has a great selection of draft beers and wines.Special Features:
- Interesting Ideas, Poor ExecutionAlricDined on 8/12/2014The menu had interesting dishes or ingredients, but the execution of many dishes was off, in my opinion. Starters: Grilled and Chilled Asparagus: Good. Great light aioli. Marinated gulf shrimp: Excellent. Great acidity balance. Ham cured pork rib: Interesting. Sauce was fine standalone, but the ribs need a brighter, punchier sauce to cut through the fat and salt. Entrees: Seared fish of the day (cobia): Mediocre. Crispy salty sear on fish but extremely overcooked. The vegetables were utterly unremarkable – and I think not seasoned. House made noodles: Mediocre. Pasta was just terrible – gummy and grainy. Sauce separated, very greasy. Pancetta undercooked leaving big fatty hunks. Dessert: Lemon buttermilk pie: Great dish.Special Features:
- Friendly staff! Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/1/2014Being a relative newcomer to Charlottesville I've been trying to find a place that I can take out of town guests and be assured of a great time. I've finally found it in Pasture. They never fail to greet me warmly, seat me in a timely fashion and delivery tasty southern fare in a pleasant manner. It doesn't hurt that in a city of folksy, overdone spots this place is sleek and beautiful. Get the pork ribs with Alabama white sauce and the pimento cheese! Interesting cocktails and local beer round out a fun menu that doesn't break the bank. Love these guys!Special Features:
- Rushed Service, Rude WaitressLLTSDined on 7/25/2014A group of two couples went out for Restaurant Week. This was my second time at Pasture, following poor (not the price!) lunch where an undisclosed fiery mustard had my eyes streaming while a staff member told me that there was nothing hot in it. I saw the RW menu and a tempting Lemon Buttermilk pie and decided to give it another try. Big Mistake. Our waitress a pretty, lean, 40s blonde woman clearly had better things to do than to wait on the likes of two paying couples. We were rushed from the moment we sat down. The Evening of Hurried Service culminated with a debate with the Waitress over a 3/4inch overcooked steak that was ordered medium. It wa tough, dry, at the edges with only a memory of pink in the middle. The pie was delicious.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Great restaurant week experience! We made reservations and did the fixed menu with wine pairings. It was great. All the desserts were to die for and so were the chicken fried mushrooms. Our group really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friend's for foodEGPSDined on 7/23/2014Very timing to seat us (we had a reservation) and immediately be served. The service was exceptional with lots of team work among the staff to bring our orders, remove "dirtly" dishes in a very timely manner, continually checking to see "how we were doing"...including the "manager"......a bit noisy but we were able to hear (our party of 4) each other pretty well. Definitely not a romantic venue but it suited the needs of my spouse and our friends purpose very well.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week MenuOperagoerDined on 7/23/2014We remembered it was Restaurant Week after we had decided to go to Pasture. We were so happy that we did! I am in the food business, so they always send out a few munchies from the kitchen to make sure that we do not go away hungry. Fat Chance! We decided on the wine pairing for only $14 with the dinner. There were 3 nice pours and the wines were tasty and interesting. We both had the yellow tomato gazpacho for apps. The pairing of the ham and crabmeat balanced the acidity perfectly. We had salmon and steak for entrees. We loved the crunch on the salmon. The steak, with a delicious housemade steak sauce was done just to order and really tender. Strawberry shortcake parfait and lemon buttermilk pie were superb. Service outstanding!Special Features:
- Good Local FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014My wife and I visited Pasture during Restaurant Week. We were greeted promptly by the waiter who explained the special prix fixe menu. We both drank water, but it looked like they had a nice wine list. The food was good -- fresh locally-sourced ingredients with new twists on classic Southern and American food. My only complaint would be that the place was noisy. The interior is almost all hard surfaces and the half-full dining room was still quite loud. We'll worth a try, and I know we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingfigdillDined on 7/21/2014I guess one cannot expect much from southern food. It was OK, but sounded a lot more interesting than it turned out to be. Also don't like the hard austere style of chairs and tables - too much like a cafeteria.
- Restaurant Week DealNoraTVIPDined on 7/19/2014Pasture is always good and we wanted to try their Restaurant Week menu and pricing. My first course was the tomato gazpacho with ham and crab garnish; the second course was the salmon on a bed of corn and black eyed peas; and the third course was pot de chocolat. All items were seasoned and cooked perfectly and served fast, which was an added benefit because we were eating with a toddler. Others in our party had mixed green salad or peanut hummus, chicken country captain, and strawberry shortcake and buttermilk pie. All selections were great!Special Features:
- WOW!!PatMakVIPDined on 7/14/2014A colleague and I were looking for a place for a working dinner, and Pasture was recommended. This was a fantastic experience from start to finish. From the pork rinds to the ribs to the chops, it was a meal to remember. The ribs were outstanding, the layers of flavor that were packed into these tender meaty pigcicles was unbelievable. We wound up ordering an extra serving of them. I will definitely be coming back, and have already recommended it to several friends and co-workers.Special Features:
- Great Southern Cuisine1685pennDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant was one block from our hotel and boy did we luck out. Dinner was superb! My two daughters had the fried mushroom (which she raved about) and the salmon over mixed greens. I had the pork chop. All were first rate. For dessert we had the shortcake with strawberry jam: one of the very best desserts I've ever had. Would definitely go back to sample more of their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 51 reviews are from the Pasture - Charlottesville reviews archive.
- Pasture is Pure PleasureLeslieavaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Delightful decor to begin with, clean, airy, turquoise and white; the wood paneled sustainable wood bar is awesome. The food was incredible. One of the best salads I've ever eaten (forgot the name), with Romaine and radishes and all kinds of green veggies. Fried clams were delish. My husbands black seabass very tasty. We shall return SOON.Special Features:
- very nice restaurantPamRVIPDined on 6/11/2014I loved the restaurant but thought it was a little pricey. The food was very tasty and the service was wonderful. I would probably go back and also recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu limitedPeterVIPDined on 6/7/2014The staff was very friendly and the service very good. What we ate (3 salads, fried clams and a crabcake) was very good, but the menu was very limited - we had a hard time finding something to order. It was heavily weighted to spicy food with gravy. I would recommend reviewing the menu online, and if there are items which appeal to you then you will probably enjoy the experience. If not, don't waste your time.
- Great for foodiescvillefoodieDined on 6/6/2014The dishes had a lot of unique flavors and you can tell the owners/chef take pride in what they offer. I had grilled asparagus with a dill cream sauce, pickled veggies, and chicken served with a tomato-curry sauce on a bed of rice. Everything was delicious for everyone at the table. My only complaint has to do with the venue. Be warned that if it is sunny out at dinner time they do not currently have shades so people facing the window can get blinded by the sun. The temporary solution is to provide customers with sunglasses. Also, the decor is a little TOO minimalist, but maybe that is just my preference. Overall, I recommend going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rmclarkVIPDined on 6/2/2014farm to table offerings that were nice. The atmosphere is clean and bright if a bit bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- daffodilDined on 5/20/2014Late Mother's Day dinner with my daughter. Ordered the special, soft shell crab. The entree was one small crab on bread. It looked more like an appetizer portion. Not much for $22.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceAnneVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a wonderful celebration dinner at Pasture. The staff couldn't have been more accomodating even during a busy graduation week-end. Our waiters recommendations were right on point and all the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Just Really Good FooddeedavDined on 4/29/2014After getting mixed reviews from friends on online, I was a little nervous about Pasture, but I knew my husband really wanted to go so I made reservations for his birthday. I'm so glad we did, because it was delicious! We were there at 6:30 on a rainy weeknight, so no crowds, but the food and cocktails were fantastic and the waiter was very knowledgeable. We ordered 1 snack and 4 small plates to share; it was the perfect amount of food. We might have ordered one more, but after the waiter saw it was my hubby's Bday, they brought us out a lemon buttermilk pie with a candle at the end of the meal. A very nice touch at a really great restaurant! My only complaint is that they brought out all plates at once. Ask them to be more spread out.Special Features:
- Good mealGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 4/10/2014Restaurant is located in a nice new mall so parking is not an issue. Food was good and I enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- minimalist decor - great fooddiner1Dined on 4/3/2014Had dinner here for the first time and was so intrigued by the appetizers that we ate a variety of those and never got an entree. Each was delicious, well prepared, and our server was very good. The happy hour is also a good find with one of the best bartenders we've met. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/2/2014Had a great time at pasture. Really friendly service. Tasty cocktails. Get the surry! Perfectly cooked spice crusted fish over apples and cabbage. Nice addition to Cville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small platesNoraTVIPDined on 3/26/2014From the friendly, helpful waitress and her single-glass wine recommendation, to the wonderfully-prepared small plates, to the fresh-brewed decaf coffee, the dinner at Pasture is always anticipated and enjoyed. My favorite for a small plate is the Brussels sprouts with butternut squash!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchAnitaDined on 3/22/2014The hearty kale salad was particularly tasty. The bloody marys were crisp and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the drive from Philly!SwineyJHoovesDined on 3/20/2014The charm of southern hospitality truly rang through at Pasture. A friend and I drove from Richmond-my friend lives in GA and I live in PA, so the half way meet up was in itself a treat. Our sole purpose of traveling to charoletsville was to have lunch at this restaurant . We were successful in getting lost and called the restaurant for directions. The manager that answered the phone was patient, friendly and oh so helpful. When we finally arrived our greeting was warm and our service was proficient & enthusiastic. Couldn't ask for more! Our lunch was precisely what we expected. Delicious, simple, and inspired. It's exciting to see farm to table restaurants in a mall setting. What a great time! Such a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't leave without havingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/14/2014Don't leave without having the lemon pie!! All the food is consistently outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereSeathreeDined on 3/8/2014Very fresh atmosphere and very kid friendly. A bright ambiance with white & teal accents, delicious food with a smokey flair. The staff was a bit soft spoken. I was with 2 elderly guest and they had a hard time hearing the special, being asked for refills, etc. The croquettes and chips & dip was fun and delicious! The clean atmosphere & clean bar make for a surprisingly relaxed environment. The service was timely and the food delicious. Incredibly kid friendly which made it easy to dine with a 3 year old.Special Features:
- Always a great soup specialNoraTVIPDined on 2/22/2014The special soup was cauliflower potato curry and it was special, as the soups hqve been at every visit. What will they do in the spring and summer? Maybe serve cold soups, which, I am sure, will be delicious! The small plates are the perfect size and we enjoyed the fresh, sweet fried clams and the brussels sprouts and squash, with tiny, little pecans as a garnish. The special wines are also highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/16/2014Pasture is exactly what Charlottesville has needed. A reasonably priced restaurant that feels relaxed and hip. The food( mostly local) was fresh and inventive without throwing in something extra just to be weird. My ribs were perfectly cooked and the Alabama white was new to me but really tasty. The burger was the best I've had anywhere. I had the surry cocktail, our very polite server's suggestion, and loved ithe smoky take on a bourbon and ginger. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyWaikiDined on 2/15/2014The food at Pasture was fresh, delicious, and well prepared. Since everything is priced a la carte, the cost can add up, however.Special Features:
- :)OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and found the dinning experience very good (we dine out frequently). The service was top notch(5 star) and the food well prepared and tasted great. We will definitely visit again. WayneSpecial Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/15/2014Great time at pasture. Friendly greeting from the hostess and bartender made us feel like regulars, which is always nice. Our server was attentive and able to answer our menu queries. The Steak tartar was incredible. The Salad was a little overdressed but very tasty. I had the chicken country captain for my entree and loved it and my husband had the steak which he deemed delicious. We are looking forward to introducing our friends to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond the foodDIningwithFriendsDined on 2/14/2014The eclectic menu was very good. The food excellent. The decor did not reflect the food sophistication and price point. The wait staff was inattentive. We had a party of 6 and were seated at a large table with another dinner party. Our waiter was happy to add a 20% gratuity to our bill. Luckily, one of our party noticed it. The food, although excellent, was not enough to out weigh the lack of decor and wait staff.
- Finally decided to try PastureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Finally decided to try Pasture on Valentine's Day. We got several of the small plates (pork ribs in white sauce, Brussels sprouts, and the Romanesco special) and a burger to share - all were really delicious! They also had an impressive selections of wine and a long list of beers on draft. After we left, we both commented on how nice all of the staff were. A little loud because of the high ceilings and lack of barriers between tables, but overall, a great experience. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.