9 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pastisny.com/
- Phone: 2129294844x
- Hours of Operation:
Pastis will be closed for renovations beginning in February 2014. We plan to reopen as soon as possible. In the meantime, we hope you'll enjoy one of our sister restaurants; Balthazar, Morandi, Minetta Tavern, Schiller's Liquor Bar and Lucky Strike.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Pascal le Seac’h
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Little West 12th St.
- Public Transit: A,C,E,L to 14th street-walk two blocks west to Ninth Avenue & two blocks south to Little West 12th. 1,9,2,3 to 14th Street at Seventh Avenue, walk three blocks west to Ninth Avenue & two blocks south to Little West 12th.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Hudson & Jane Street is closest lot.
A word from Pastis
Pastis is a French bistro located in Manhattan's meatpacking district opened by Keith McNally. Executive Chef Pascal Le Seac'h prepares a menu that combines hearty Provençal dishes with moderately-priced bistro fare. The bar serves a range of house cocktails, wines by the glass, carafe or bottle, and several varieties of pastis, an anise-flavored aperitif from the south of France.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pastis reviews from OpenTable diners
- Food wasn't that goodLullyVIPDined on 2/28/2014I've been to Pastis before and I gotta say that we got disappointed with the food this last time. Calamari a were way too spicy and the wine list could be better as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18mths can't pass quickly enough!202BrooklynDined on 2/27/2014Such a great meal at one of my favorite spots in the city. Service was excellent despite the fact they were closing just a day later for over a year hiatus! You would've had no idea based on the great attitudes. Food was outstanding as usual. Can't wait for the re opening already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overhyped but still nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2014I loved the ambience and good services very much, but the food wasn't that great. It was an iconic place no matter what, so I'm happy to have visited before their closing anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner @ PastisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/25/2014We celebrated my daughter's 16th birthday at Pastis. The ambience and food were wonderful; the waitress was personable and very helpful with our selections. Pastis was recommended to me by a colleague in Europe. I would certainly recommend it to my friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell (for now) to PastisfoodfateVIPDined on 2/23/2014Managed to make it to Pastis before it closed for work to be done on the building. Ambience and atmosphere was great - what you expect from a big, busy brunch venue on a sunny winter Sunday. I had heard about Pastis for years and when finally living in NYC, couldn't wait to go. Everything was definitely good but I must be honest that it probably didn't live up to the hype. A very good place for brunch though and I look forward to seeing what they do when they eventually reopen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not amazing eitherMariaDined on 2/22/2014The food was alright. I had high expectations going in because I have been to France and fell in love with the food and pastis did not meet was not as fabulous as I had hoped. It is also very loud and expensive.
- EuropeanElvanlovesfoodDined on 2/20/2014I live in Vienna Austria, and this place feels kind of like eating at one of the bistros in my town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014Very nice place in a cozi ambient. It. was a great night with a very good food.Special Features:
- Amazing!GemkrisDined on 2/16/2014We were recommended this place by a friend who said we couldn't have our first trip to New York without experiencing this place! My god she was so right! This place is heavenly! Everything about it is fabulous, I could of sat for hours drinking coffee and soaking up the amazing atmosphere! Food is glorious and service outstanding, our order came slightly late but the staff were onto it straight away and even gave us 2 free coffees which i thought was lovely! I will be coming back to New York and this will be my first stop!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a visitCarolDined on 2/16/2014Great brunch menu. Total buzz even at 11am and very welcoming!! Eggs Benedict awesomeSpecial Features:
- DissapointingMaxcatDined on 2/16/2014As soon as we sat down for brunch our table had an issue in that it was not level and rocking. The service was not very attentive in that we had to wait for long periods without service. It took ages for us to order our food. There were plenty of staff but eye contact was not being made with customers.
- CrowdedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Was ok- pricey for what you get-very crowded and loud. We were seated with 4 inches on either side to other tables so awkward and hard not to overhear conversationsSpecial Features:
- Still a fabulous french bistroHoneyBrownFoodie2dineVIPDined on 2/11/2014I have always loved Pastis. The food is excellent and the atmosphere has always been so very chic. I am going to miss it when it closes in a few months... Always a great dining experience!Special Features:
- For me, Pastis is part ofIgonebjDined on 2/9/2014For me, Pastis is part of the landsacpe of Manhattan. It's a must always you like enjoying a brunch! Even dinner and spend some time in Meatpacking and have some drinks later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People know it's closingDinner4fourDined on 2/8/2014I've eaten here a dozen times, yet this is the first time everything was not perfect. We had an early reservation and we were on time and had no problem getting our table. But, the wait time to order the amount of time it took to get the food and the quality of the food was all slightly below what I'm accustomed to at this amazing restaurant. It seems everybody knows that it's closing at the end of the month and there is an overall sadness in the air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Come 2 NYC & NOT visit PastisHawksFanDined on 1/31/2014my most favorite restaurant in my most favorite city for my birthday! Flew in for the Super Bowl, called and got the last reservation for Friday 1-31-14. Couldn't be better...sat at the same table, in the same chair as Richard Sherman had just vacated! BEST Food, Bonnie was an AWESOME server, a little bobble at the bar with an Old Fashion that wasn't quite what my dinner partner liked, but quickly was made up with a terrific substitution cocktail. steak tartare, scallops and steak bearnaise for the table! Everyone LOVED it! Topped it off with a delicious cup of coffee before heading out to the Upper East Side to Celebrate my birthday! (The ONLY thing better would have been a birthday confectionery to share for the table!) Wonderful Time!Special Features:
- My husband and I enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/30/2014My husband and I enjoyed our night out.!the only thing is, we were surprised just how loud it was. We will go back when they reopen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am going to miss my favorite jemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2014Love this place had have for years. My family goes there to celebrate, contemplate, mediate and just have good food and great fun!Special Features:
- January dinner at PastisNYCloversDined on 1/24/2014Had another great dinner at Pastis. Always consistent. Service left a bit to be desired this time. Waiter was rushed, too busy and spoke way too fast! But had a great cod dish and steak. Very good. Would recommend you just get wine by the carafe. We were encouraged to go for a bottle but everyone around us was doing the carafe thing and it's a lot cheaper.Special Features:
- No to dinnerRonaldoDined on 1/24/2014Very noisy,table very closer,wine served in cup ,not glass wine,warm,maybe will be good for brunch ,not for dinner.Special Features:
- Good thing it's closing.EvilMitchDined on 1/19/2014The food is fine. Service however ... Not so much. The hostess tried to stick us at a table behind the wait station where one would always feel crowded and cramped. The room is perhaps the noisiest in NYC. Renovations should help.Special Features:
- Lovely menu, very true to naneOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/19/2014Food was excellent, as well as service. Prices were extremely reasonable compared to other restaurants in the same neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treatCJ100Dined on 1/19/2014I visited Pastis while in New York, having eaten at its sister restaurant Balthazar in London. I went by myself, and as a lone diner I found it very welcoming and relaxed. I had the fish special, which was outstanding. I'll definitely visit again when I'm next in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eggs Benedict not the best but.....MadisonDined on 1/17/2014I enjoyed the coffee, excellent service and the very nice Parisian Bistro style décor. I didn't like the Eggs Benedict. The eggs came undercooked with runny whites although I asked for medium and there wasn't any finesse to the sauce of the dish generally. I wouldn't order it here again. On the other hand my dining partner ordered a straightforward breakfast of fried eggs, home fried potatoes and a side of bacon and a side of sausage with toast. All delicious! Sides of meat were $6.00 each, a bit steep but very tasty. I will for sure go back to Pastis but order something else for breakfast next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Great AtmospherelunchtimeVIPDined on 1/14/2014Love this place, its casual, its comfortable, and yyou can alwasy count on a great experience. I travel to NYC for business and always make this a "must" - recommend the onion soup, just because its the best ever! But, really you can't go wrong with anything on menu. This last visit we had 5 at our table and there was a very large group in the same area, no problem! We felt like we were eating at someone's home, they take care of you like its home. Nice.Special Features:
- Brunch at PastisRonnieDined on 1/12/2014What a lovely gem in the Meat Packing District of New York. It reminded me very much of French restaurants. We enjoyed a basket of pastries and 1 croque monsieur. It was more than enough for 2 diners. The place is bustling for breakfast. Make reservations early if you know you will be in NYC within a week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MJR's review of PastisBar14VIPDined on 1/11/2014I had a nice time at Pastis. I received my order in a timely manner and I really enjoyed the macaroni and cheese. My waiter was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Saturday FunMargaretfromHoustonDined on 1/11/2014My friend and I from Texas, looked forward to lunch at Pastis after our Saturday in Chelsea, looking at art. We were not disappointed! We'd seen our art in Chelsea, then we took in the High Line, another fun thing, then we found our way to Pastis. We were seated promptly, right at the time of our 3:00 PM reservation, and (though being very chronologically-gifted ladies) were treated very nicely by all the staff. It was so much fun to look around to see what was going on, who our fellow diners were, and how pleasant the atmosphere was. We ordered drinks and lunch, each enjoying steak-frites - much more than humans should consume, and concluded that we would love to come back to Pastis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bread, caesar salad,judyDined on 1/8/2014Great bread, caesar salad, ravioli, and floating island desert. This place is a real favorite, go off hours to avoid noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic SceneNativeNYerDined on 1/7/2014Pastis is the classic MPD scene, day or night and the food is always spot on. This time we met friends for lunch, have been for dinner, have been for drinks, have been for brunch. Inside or out this is after all these years (was the first "PLACE" in MPD) it's still a place to see, be seen and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Soupe a l'oignonceslDined on 1/5/2014Absolutely perfect soupe a l'oignon and I know my onion soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad pricingJohnDined on 1/5/2014OK restaurant, but nothing special. Nice atmoshpere in general, but far too crowded and in my opinion, this place is too overrated. Prices were far too high for what you got. There are many more comfortable places with better food, at better prices.
- Cozy restaurantMrKingenDined on 1/5/2014A very nice restaurant, perfect for lunch and brunches. No for quite romantic session. The personal where very kind and helpful. I tried the Mules frites su Pernod and it where perfect.Special Features:
- Great Food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/4/2014If you want to experience the feel of a french cafe in the US this is the spot. Great food and ambiance. Don't forget to take home a wheel of the homemade bread!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dependable food andDallasVIPDined on 1/3/2014Great dependable food and extremely competent staff. Never misses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fake FranchTaclaDined on 1/2/2014Maybe i was expecting too much, but i've found the place too noisy, we almost had to shout to each other. The menu was a tough one to choose from. I guess i was expecting more of a bistro, and most of the choices were regular fish and pasta, so i went for the special of the day which was a Samon ( a tastless one). My companion chose a Steak Tartare that was ok. The dessert again was a deception! Although the decor was nice, i will not recommend it to a friend. A curious fact, though, we had a hard time trying to make the reservation for the same day, which the restaurant won't take, but it was half empty.
- awful!!aguaderocioDined on 1/2/2014A lot of people recommended us this famous place so we decided to have an excelent breakfast in Pastis. It definitely didnt live up to our expectations. There's no difiiculty in doing fried eggs and french fries! They were oily and made in a careless way. We come from Spain were we can boast of having a wonderdul gastronomy and have travelled the world, so we firmly believe that our breakfast was a rip off. We paid 52dollars for: two fried eggs and a few oily french fries and a litlle bit of bacon. We have had this breakfast in all countries in Europe and we have paid no more than 30dollars, and of course it was delicious! The only good thing in Pastis was the capuccino which was quite nice and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- shape upOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/1/2014The reception was by an arrogant lady, totally uninterested in helping or communicating with us. If you would get rid of her we would have loved the visit.
- Absolutely amazingJashimDined on 1/1/2014I took my girlfriend out for our anniversary a couple of years back and she really liked it, so we went back. Out first experience was amazing, so they did have an expectation to keep up with. They exceeded that. Their food is always fresh and has a multitude of flavors, never bland. Service was top notch and the atmosphere is very cozy. Around 730p or later you can get a nice candle lit dinner. Super romantic! Highly recommend anyone to try this fine fench cuisine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous Meal in Meat-packing DistWittyncharmeddinerVIPDined on 1/1/2014Pastis is a go-to spot, so get a reservation. My Open-Table reservation was handled in a timely, friendly, and professional manner by the charming host staff. Our server greeted us quickly and offered us beverages. It was New Year's Day afternoon so we decided on Mimosas. They were quite tasty, but took a while to be delivered to the table because the bartenders were soooo busy. Call our meal a very late lunch or an early supper. For the two of us, we shared an order of Mussels in Pernod sauce (sublime!), a most-delicious arugula salad that was very simply dressed, and then a fantastic Croque Madame. Of course we had an order of frites as well -- you have to have them because they are just simply THAT GOOD! Wines by the glass are good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.