315 Main St.
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pastamoon.com/
- Phone: (650) 726-5125
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -2:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Kim Levin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Several private rooms are available. Please call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Pickett 650-726-5125 x
- Special Events: Annual wine tasting and winemaker dinners. Please sign up for our monthly announcements
A word from Pasta Moon
A popular destination in Half Moon Bay for nearly 30 years, Pasta Moon Restaurant serves contemporary Italian cuisine using the freshest local produce available- in fact, easily the finest dining on the coast; (and not the most expensive!). You'll find a cozy setting for lunch or dinner, surrounded by old arched casement windows which once brought light into the Burlingame Public Library, and you'll be served by an attentive and knowledgeable staff.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Pasta Moon - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Pasta Moon reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (96)special occasion (85)romantic (66)great for lunch (59)good for groups (56)notable wine list (47)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (20)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (16)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Third VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/23/2014My first two times at Pasta Moon were excellent experiences. This time I was disappointed. I had a sole entre that was floating in oil or butter and the green beans and tomatoes were also very oily. The oil seeped around the polenta on the plate. Each item on the plate was tasty, but the overall dish was just too oily. Two others in our group had a pasta dish with crab. The crab was a skimpy portion and, while tasty, was a disappointment. With so many good restaurants in the bay area, I don't know if I am inclined to return and risk it again.Special Features:
- excellent serviceGemmaVIPDined on 11/22/2014I am always pleased with the attentive but not overbearing service. Their wait staff is spot on! And, of course, delicious food and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta Moon is one of our very favorite places!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/15/2014Kim, the owner is a gem. Her warm and attention to detail is always just the best! Pasta Moon is one of our very favorite places to dine! Delicious food--- and warm, inviting atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the Best in HMBOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2014Pasta Moon continues to deliver creative, flavorful and fantastic meals year after year. Celebrated 2 birthdays on Saturday and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed two of the evenings specials - petrale sole and braised short ribs and both were excellent. The pasta with ahi tuna and balsamic marinated skirt steak was coked to perfection, tender and full of flavor. Smooth, friendly service made the evening enjoyable for everyone. The house was packed, but the noise level was just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchCaliforniaDougDined on 11/14/2014Everything just right! Pizza great flavor and very thin crust. Pasta flavorful, serving size just right. Salads large and flavorful. Service excellent. Worth the drive from Los Gatos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An "Off" NightFoodieVIPDined on 11/13/2014We have been fans of PM for at least 15 years - dining there for lunch mostly where we have come to know and appreaciate the food, service and friendship of the owner. We arranged to stay overnight this time to enable us to have dinner and not need to drive over the mountain to home. The woman maitre de was warm and friendly as she seated us, but then our waiter descended upon us! Loud, phoney, (I speak 5 languages) assertive, obsequious and overbearing. He asked us three times if he had told us about the specials - flitting to other tables and at one point sat next to a woman to "help"her order! When we remained subdued he clearly "gave up on us" and was late bringing each course, never asking if we wished more wine or bread etc.. Dessert only came because the wonderful, attentive, quiet bus server retreived it for us. We finally decided to speak to the Maitre de who was very nice and responsive - said we weren't the first to remark on him, and said she would take care of it. Also must say, the food was not as fresh as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always great.hon143Dined on 11/10/2014I've been going here for years now ever since I saw the restaurant mentioned on Check Please, Bay Area! The food is always excellent. They've expanded though in recent years. Once taking up only about a quarter of the building, they've now taken up the entire building due to their popularity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in half moon baySandyVIPDined on 11/9/2014we love Pasta Moon. Their gluten free pasta is the best in any restaurant we've found. Their homemade sausages are extraordinarily delicious. Local and free range ingredients make all the difference. Attentive wait staff and accommodating to special requests. GREAT restaurant!Special Features:
- Lasagna and GnocchiRavenVIPDined on 11/8/2014Pasta Moon is a decades long favorite. The restaurant keeps getting better and it's home to my favorite lasagna and Gnocchi. Just go! It's great!Special Features:
- FredVIPDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I are regulars at Pasta Moon and enjoy the balance of mainstay items (the lasagna is phenomenal) as well as the daily specials highlighting seasonal ingredients. The selection of Italian wines is second to none. On our most recent visit, I tried the gluten-free pasta for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how good it tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in Half Moon BayChrisVIPDined on 11/4/2014Wait-staff at Pasta Moon are very professional and well-trained. We started with the fritto misto and the kale chips. Don't waste your time with these. The fritto misto has very little calamari or shrimp. The kale chips and just too greasy. Main courses were fine. My husband had the puttanesca and I had the skirt steak with arugula salad. Both very good. The lemon meringue dessert is just too sweet.Special Features:
- Better places for bday events ...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014AS a local, will return to It's Italia where menu is more diverse for my taste. We were there for lunch. Was also curious to see if Pasta Moon would comp any part of the meal given two of the three of us were celebrating b-days. Had noted on Opentable. They did provide a candle on the dessert we bought but It's Italia comps Tira Missou (sp ) for the birthday folk. A nice little touch that brings you back.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014This was a great experience. Everyone treated us well. The food was excellent as was the wine. The overall experience was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better the 2nd time aroundAnnaVIPDined on 10/26/2014Ate here a year ago during a stop-over in Half Moon Bay - food was very good; special event at the restaurant made seating and service chaotic. Fortunately, no such problem this year. Seating, service, food and atmosphere all made for a really enjoyable dinner after a horrendous drive up to HMB from Big Sur. Hubby's Caesar and pizza were outstanding; my Italian bread soup was chock full of yummy veges, and my seafood pasta was excellent - way too much, but pasta truly al dente; sauce nicely spicy and lots of clams, mussels and scallops!I would recommend this to a friend.
- PacificaDined on 10/25/2014Excellent, as always. My petrale sole was perfect. We keep coming back to this restaurant rather than experiment with other restaurants on the Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wine crashOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014My wife and I had a very pleasant dinner. Near the end of the main course, our wine bucket crashed to the floor - one of the legs had broken. Not a real problem, but the waiter and the restaurant took no real pains to fix things or clean them up. So we lost a splash of wine for the bill. Still, the failing to deal with a relatively small problem is a big part of our memory or the dinner.
- Great Food and Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2014Enjoyed another great meal at Pasta Moon. Everything was wonderful, from the pasta dish to pizza. We also ordered one of the daily specials (pan fried sole), which was delicious. The service was great. The manager stopped by to chat with us, and when he saw that we enjoyed one of their house made bread, he came back with more. Would definitely go again when we're in Half Moon Bay.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodTimWVIPDined on 10/19/2014We stopped by after walking thru the Pumpkin Featival. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Half Moon Bay's BestMzGayleDined on 10/18/2014I've been visiting Half Moon Bay on an annual trip for over 20 years with my neighbor and we use to try different restaraunts for lunch. We're foodies, love cooking and eating. We've had some great meals in this wonderful beach town. We stopped experimenting once we had lunch at Pasta Moon! We split meals so we can have variety. The Eggplant Parmesan is deliciously flavorful and light. The Pappardelle Pancetta is something I dream about as is the Butternt Squash & Mascarpone Ravioli. Most recently I chose the Linguini Pan Seared Ahi Tuna. It was butter in my mouth and I'm dreaming again. Love this restaraunt and it's a highlight on my visits.Special Features:
- A trip to Italy without the hassleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014I can't think of a better place to dine on the SF Peninsula then Pasta Moon There isn't a discussion about great food places that doesn't include PastaMoon.Special Features:
- Pasta MoonYUMMYtummyDined on 10/16/2014we ate dinner here on our honey moon. We expected good things based on other reviews, and weren't disappointed. The staff was great and the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb service and trendy decor!CallaLilyDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant decor (design, layout, color theme) is beautifully coordinated, contemporary & sophisticated. Spacious with plenty of seating, yet cozy nooks exist for quieter, romantic seating. Enticing menu with perfect number/selection of dishes in each category (meaning a great menu that is easy reading and not overwhelming!). Lovely wine list of primarily Italian wines. I had the butternut squash ravioli...very fresh pasta and delicate flavors...delicious and "just right" portion size. Attractive, artistic presentation. Our server was knowledgeable, energetic, fun, and friendly and provided excellent, well-timed service. We had a terrific dining experience and I would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always quality foodEdwardVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great place. Great food quality and unique preparations. Always a terrific time. Owner watches over food preparation and service and it is always greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!lovegreatfoodDined on 10/11/2014The food here is so fresh and the people are so friendly! What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta MoonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014A usual Pasta Moon was very good, charming , with good food and nice ambience. Half Moon bay has many good places to eat, but I think that Pasta Moon is the best. surprisingly the service was not great the night we visited, but I hope they improve on that.Special Features:
- Bay Area FoodieBayareafoodieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Six of us had a wonderful evening at Pasta Moon. The tables are well spaced so we could easily converse, the restaurant was warm and inviting with attractive decor and lighting, and the menu had lots of delicious options: the housemade lasagna was awesome and a huge portion (think leftovers for lunch), the duck with grape jus special was perfectly cooked and so good, salads were outstanding and only the desserts were less than a 5-star experience. My lemon parfait with Italian meringue was too, too sweet and gooey. Those who ordered the pumpkin cake special were very happy. Our waiter had a great personality and all aspects of service were gracious and professional. Bar service took a bit of time but was not a problem for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysJihmbVIPDined on 10/9/2014Salmon special was amazing and my dining companion had 1/2 serving of lasagna and it was as big as my head! Huge! He loved it!Special Features:
- sakalDined on 10/6/2014Food delicious, server was friendly, never had to ask for refills, attention detailed with food requests. Lemon sorbet was fantastic! One thing I've noticed from both times here- noisy building (hard floors, no acoustics) maybe not a big deal for some but I was distracted by noise despite few customers in the restaurant. Otherwise a pleasurable experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning food ... Waitress was nutsSilverSailorDined on 9/29/2014Food and place excellent as usual. Waitress needs an attitude reset, always believed that the best wait staff are the ones who are their for you but whose presence is non intrusive. This lady would be better working a street market with a patter that harangs customers into buying goods. And who is never wrong. Suspect had the owner been onsite this would not have been so evident. Every business has its background hiccups from time to time. It's how you deal with such things that in part show how good you are. Did we enjoy tne evening and wS it worth it. Absolutely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the MoonTexasbob88Dined on 9/29/2014Our server expertly named the specials which the four of us tried and they were all surprisingly delicious. They try different menu items with great success. The dessert, dense pumpkin cake, was outstanding as well as the pasta dish. The salad with warm butternut squash was a hit also.Special Features:
- birthday but no treat?BbettyDined on 9/27/2014This is my second outing to Pasta Moon this year and I have to say that it fell short of my expectations once again. The starters were good. Then the bread and balsamic/olive oil came out. Ugh. It was awful. You go to an Italian restaurant aand you expect the the bread to resemble something like Italian.The wine was marginal and two of our entrees were not original. And by that I mean they could have very well come from Costco and had spice thrown on the sauce. Then I asked the waitress did they do anything to celebrate people's birthdays and she said yes and never came back. This is after I told the hostess we had a birthday in our party. #notgoingbackSpecial Features:
- Best Restaurant in Half Moon BayCathyDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I chose to dine at Pasta Moon to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary - it's our favorite restaurant. We have enjoyed this restaurant since it opened years ago - what more can I say! The food is absolutely delicious and their specials are beyond excellent. The staff is very professional and that is hard to beat. If you want to have a cocktail and sit in the bar area, don't hesitate to order one of their pizzas, you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as previous visits : (TGIFfriendsDined on 9/26/2014We see PM as a destination restaurant fir noting special milestones. Up until this visit, i had abdolutely no reservations about recommending them. However, almost all aspects were a bit off. Food delays with appetizer and entree were significant with no apology, three requests for silverware - one specialty fork was delivered per request, busser spilled water and coffee with no attempt to clean up- I resorted to napkins off a neighboring table each incident- and the appetizer of mussels provided was noticeably smaller, with one third of shells empty and very little broth. Dessert was wonderful, as was my specialty cocktail. I will come back, if only to see if it was just an off day agter 20+ positive dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neziDined on 9/24/2014Don Graham is a super star bartender! We ate in the restaurant this time but often eat in the bar because we are locals and we feel welcome here. Had their special on Wednesday, smoked linguine with seared scallops. It was wonderful - we all had delicious meals and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanieJluv2dineVIPDined on 9/23/2014This was our last stop on our Napa/Half Moon Bay vacation. Our favorite - loved this place (and we ate at French Laundry in Napa!)Special Features:
- Great LasagneDinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014I took two visitors from the out of town as I have always raved about the lasagne. Well, they both agreed that this was the best they had ever had. At first they were not impressed with the clam chowder as they are used to a thicker version, BUT two bites in they were hooked on the flavor and texture. Superb service, even though the restaurant was filling up.Yes, we'll all be back soon.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerDelishdinerDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I have been dinning at Pasta Moon for over 25 yrs. The menu is always changing with the seasons which keep it interesting and delicious. The appetizer of heirloom dry framed tomatoes with fresh buratta mozzarella was the perfect start. The Salmon dish, although small was also wonderful. The only disappointment was the dessert. It was supposed to be lemon meringue panacotta. It actually was meringue on top of lemon ice. The Service was fair, could have been a lot better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great way to CelebrategregDined on 9/20/2014We went out to celebrate our anniversary. My wife doesn't like to pay for things she can make at home (and she's a great cook) so when they told us the special was smoked linguine with sea scallops, we had to give it a try. The dish was amazing! The subtle smokey flavor of the pasts with the scallops was perfect. The perfect finish for any meal at Pasts Moon is the Meyer Lemon parfait which is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant OpportunityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014I went to enjoy a fine meal during a visit to the area with my wife. This restaurant came highly regarded by several locals. We enjoy pasta dishes, which were fresh, flavorful, and well prepared. The lasagna had so many layers, one would be challenged to count them. Modest but well selected beer options (4 on draft) for variety of tastes. We each has a house salad to ensure enough vegetable servings. Not cheap, but a pleasant and tasty experience.Special Features:
- VisitorVIPDined on 9/20/2014Overall, the meal was fine, but did not like dessert. Server would not take it off our bill. Somewhat surprised.Special Features: