Passport at The Art Institute of Jacksonville
8775 Baypine Road
Jacksonville, FL 32256Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Passport at The Art Institute of Jacksonville
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.aijaxpresents.com/
- Phone: (904) 486-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tues - Weds: 11:00am - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef William Thompson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View
- Private Party Contact: Chef William Thompson x
- Entertainment: Culinary Programs & Curriculum
Academics - Culinary
Choosing among culinary schools can be difficult. Your search can end here at The Art Institute of Jacksonville, where you can learn the real-world skills and gain the hands-on experience you need to get started and pursue opportunities in the dynamic culinary field. There's nothing quite like working in the culinary profession. It's a palate-pleasing combination satisfaction and knowing that you've found your niche. Choose from our degree, diploma, and certificate programs. Not all culinary programs are offered at all locations.
- Cross Street: Baymeadows
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Art Institute offers free parking in our parking garage. Park and walk to the main entrance. Passport is located on the third floor of the building. When you get to the third floor walk right or left and view our teaching kitchens before dining.
A word from Passport at The Art Institute of Jacksonville
Passport is the student run restaurant of the International Culinary School at the Art Institute of Jacksonville. The cuisine is contemporary American with influences from around the world. The restaurant is staffed by students while being supervised by the Chef Instructors. Each quarter a new class of students begins and a new menu is implemented by Chef Bill Thompson to reflect the seasons. The students are then trained on each kitchen station where they produce the recipes for the guests. The serving staff also rotates each quarter. The restaurant is open on Tuesday and Wednesday lunch from 11:00am until 1:00pm. The Art Institute is located at 8775 Baypine Road Jacksonville, FL.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Passport at The Art Institute of Jacksonville reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)scenic view (6)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- LorivkDined on 10/21/2014Excellent food & outstanding value; the choices were seasonal & yummy! Lake view & great to interact w/ those learning the trade. Only drawback, was I don't think I'll be getting open table points for reservation. The host did not know about it; seems most come w/o reservations, though the site's only was for reservation was via open table. We didn't know what to expect wait-wise. We were there early & it was not an issue, but it did fill up quickly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/15/2014Excellent food! Nice to have waiters again. Menu is fantastic and food is delicious.Special Features:
- Discombobulated!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Had to request service after a long wait. Waiter did not seem to know what he was doing, disengaged. Our 6 guests each ordered a small & large plate. There was no mention of the daily specials - I asked & the waiter knew little about the dishes. No crackers/bread/butter plate served. No daily appetizer served. Both my plates came out together. My food got cold while I waited for the others' food to be served. It, too, came out haphazardly. There was no rhythm. Our waiter never returned to our table. We work nearby & have been coming for lunch for years. We could once depend on a fantastic experience and we were disappointed at how it has deteriorated. Hope the greatness returns!
- Lunch ReviewKSTHDined on 9/10/2014Four of us dined at Passport for lunch. We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of food and incredible service! Our waiter was a young man that completed/complemented the enjoyable experience. He greeted us like rock stars and was extremely attentive. His name was not on the receipt but I recall Michael? Anyway, he is a gem and really knows how to deliver expert service. The food selection was both healthy and satisfying. We enjoyed the variety and options that were on the menu. We will strongly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 62 reviews are from the Passport at The Art Institute of Jacksonville reviews archive.
- Great food & terrific service!jax4lunchDined on 7/22/2014Lunch was wonderful, as usual! The food was amazing and the chefs out front with the customers were very helpful and had great suggestions. They were able to modify a plate with meat to make it vegetarian with a vegetable item that turned out to be very successful! Wonderful fun visiting the Passport restaurant & can't wait to go back! Metal flatware, cloth napkins, ceramic plates were all fine. Beverages were self-serve at front of restaurant with plastic cups, but there was sufficient selection for my group to be happy. The food - as always - just stellar!! the meringue with lemon curd, dark chocolate & strawberry was delicious and a special for the day! Thanks for a great chef team effort!!Special Features:
- New format has ruined this gem!SavannahVIPDined on 5/20/2014No waiters.........paper plates and plastic utensils are a big disappointment...........the food is still great & very inexpensive!Special Features:
- Paper and plastic!!!!!!DisappointedDined on 4/23/2014The table arrangement was awkward for a party of eleven. The diamond pattern did not allow for the whole group to interact. For the first hour we were the only patrons. Desert was good. Plates, glasses and table ware were plastic. Staff did not know how to run the cash register. No wait staff to take orders..... the kitchen staff served the food. The shrimp and grits were a disappointment, shrimp was old and overly seasoned. Grease on the duck spring rolls, not served hot, tasteless. Portions were very small on both the large and small plate.
- WHere's the service?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2014So you go to Ai for amazing creative food, which is still present. However, the amazing food is now served on paper plates plastic forks and cups. They have entered fast casual market wow. So I guess the Ai students are learning to be cooks at chilis or applebees "fast casual" hmmmm. Oh well the hidden gem is gone.Special Features:
- Culinary DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2014They have cut the full service, no more breads, bouche amusee, but the food is still top notch with generous portions.Special Features:
- A Little GemMatthewLDined on 3/19/2014Be aware that this is a teaching restaurant and you make be at the beginning of a teaching session so service might be a little slow and the students may not be completely familiar with the service. But, you can't beat the value of what you get for the money. We had small plates and appetizers, a large plate and dessert. I wasn't hungry the remainder of the day. The deserts are large enough for two or three people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet dining at a pauper pricePestyDined on 3/19/2014My friend and I found out about this restaurant from my granddaughter. It was really an enjoyable dining experience. The food was excellent and all the personal went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The food was just in the right portions, so we had room for the delicious desserts. The presentation of the food was also very impressive. We have told our friends about how impressed we were and have encouraged them to try it sometime. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, delicious and inexpensive!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/4/2014Fun to watch the students - food is wonderful and you prices are incredibly low for this food quality. Go enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was a little dissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014I was a little dissappointed that they were out of the cassoulet. That is one of my favorite dishes. The lamb ribs were excellent. However, I had the duck and it did not realize that it came with jalapenos on top of it and the sauce was a bit to spicy for my taste. I did remove the jalapenos but it the after affects were not good for me. I would suggest that the server let you know how spicy a dish is after you order it. I have an gastric disease and it inflammed my condition.
- scrumptious & best deal in towntoxroxDined on 2/12/2014The food and service were unsurpassed as we enjoyed lunch this week. Each time we go, we feel like it cannot get any better. But each time seems to amaze us. The Moroccan quail was tender & meaty, with only a few tiny bones - a lot of meat for a $3 plate. We totally enjoyed the sweet potato ravioli as an appetizer, the lamb ribs as the other entree, and the guava flan for dessert. One great thing about this restaurant is that your server is also one of the chefs for most of the semester, so he/she knows each dish inside & out, so their recommendations are very worthwhile. You will love this place and return often! [Tuesdays & Wednesdays only]Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, location and price!OpentableeatsDined on 2/5/2014Really enjoyed the mussels! I didn't know duck could be so lean, tasty and tender...yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The creative food preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/28/2014The creative food prepared by students of the Jacksonville Culinary Institute was delicious as always -- and a great value in terms of price relative to quality. Service was a bit spotty but the wait staff are students as well, learning the business. And since this was only the second week of the semester (new menu), a few kinks are to be expected. Tables are available in the kitchen or in the dining room overlooking a large lake. Highly recommended. Be sure to make reservations on OpenTable since days/times are limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOODCgul1990Dined on 11/19/2013This restaurant had amazing food. The price is awesome and the service is great! Love the experience. Will be eating there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and excellently preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2013Creative and excellently prepared food in a comfortable setting overlooking a lake and the demonstration kitchen. Because this is a school, the service level is acceptable for students in a learning situation but would never work for a high end restaurant serving similar quality food. But if you aren't in a hurry and want to try unique and delicious small or large plates at bargain prices, this place is for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LunchACFCertTeamDined on 10/22/2013We were a group of five (5) and we took a co-worker there for lunch to celebrate her birthday. The host sat us at a round table in the corner overlooking the water, which was very scenic and nice. The food was outstanding and the presentation ("plating") was beautiful. The service was great. We ordered several "small plate" items so that all of us could sample everything, in addition to the large plate items (entrees) that we ordered (each of us ordered something different and we even tried a bite of each other's entrees). We truly enjoyed our dining experience, and although it was a bit of a distance for us to travel ... we will definitely dine at The Passport Restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- secret spotvtorresDined on 10/9/2013I was so happy to have found this great lunch spot, you have to make a reservation to get in and they dont advertise that I know of. But the place was great it was fancy food but at cheap prices. We loved it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the meal. Katie theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2013Enjoyed the meal. Katie the waitress was wonderful - friendly and efficient. Food was great!
- gourmet & delicious, on a budgettoxroxDined on 8/14/2013top notch menu, changes each quarter, always in season & unique. open tuesdays & wednesdays only. reservations are a must as this spot becomes more & more popular. upscale service appreciated at this teaching restaurant. soooo affordable ($3 & $7).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty and deliciousHazelnutDined on 8/13/2013Impressive food cooked by the culinary students. Presentation is pretty and food is delicious. Also served by the students. A slight bit slow but worth it all. Price is reasonable too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PassportSmjamboVIPDined on 8/7/2013This is a great value for money lunch proposition. Food is always interesting and for the most part successful. Service can be a bit spotty but attitude of servers is always very positive.Special Features:
- Very nice setting with viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2013Very nice setting with views of pond and the kitchen. Food is creative, delicious and reasonable priced. Service is pleasant but slow and in some cases, diners need to request appropriate utensils and drink refills. But the cooks and the servers are students so a few glitches are to be expected as they learn the ropes. Definitely an excellent dining experience....as long as you aren't in a hurry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PassportSmjamboVIPDined on 7/17/2013Food was excellent and the summer menu is better than the spring menu. The scallops and quinoa was very tasty. Service was perhaps over exuberant with plates being offered to be taken away a bit too quickly. Also would suggest that servers pour water and tea at table rather than taking glasses away. These are small learning points for the students. Overall good job though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- student servers were really goodopendinerDined on 7/16/2013they were sure we have water & tea ,, ( I drink a lot of tea with a lot of ice) .. they remembered our orders and seem to be seasoned students. I was surprised at the difference from my last time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Spot!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/21/2013Great food and prices.... Presentation is top Shelf!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pricing - and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/7/2013Great pricing - and wonderful food Look forward to next semister's menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was Blah and Food was BlahOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/7/2013If this is was suppose to be a review of things to come for any student going into the service industry ... I am going to have start cooking at home more. I would have assumed if you were going to school here - you would have had some experience working in the food industry. Our waitress didnt even give us the appropriate silverware for us. She came to our table once to ask if we were ready with our check - when we had just started eating. The food was blah - nothing to rave home about. My dessert was something out of the Jello box you can make at home. The only thing I had that was pretty good was the Shrimp & Grits appetizer. I have tried the school in Ft. Lauderdale before and thought it was great. Was really let down.
- We took another couple fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2013We took another couple from out of town and they loved it. We had been only once before and our experience each time was very good. Excellent food presentations. Excellent service. Limited but interesting menu. Not expensive at all. Great relaxing view from the third floor overlooking a large pond/lake.Special Features:
- The shrimp in the shrimp andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2013The shrimp in the shrimp and grits were overdone but the dish was excellentSpecial Features:
- Unique experience to enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/12/2013Unique experience to enjoy small plates and entrees designed, prepared and served by Culinary Institute students. Cuisine is creative, delicious, and reasonable priced. View of pond or glass walled kitchen is an added bonus. Open only on Tues and Wed for lunch only when school is in session.Special Features:
- I know that this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2013I know that this restaurant isn't some big secret or anything, but part of me doesn't want to leave a review just so I can pretend like I'm keeping this place for myself. Considering the quality of the food and service, this is the best value for lunch in all of Jacksonville, hands down. Just a fantastic experience from beginning to end.Special Features:
- Best kept secret.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2013After the first time coming here, I fell in love. I eat here as often as I can to try different meals. My only gripe was from a recent visit when I ordered the grilled tuna with a kaiser roll. It was a tuna on a kaiser roll. All in all though, it was fantastic. The place is small so make sure you book a reservation.Special Features:
- Amazing food! Love the honey-butteOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/30/2013Amazing food! Love the honey-butter and the fresh bread selection. Very reasonable prices and beautiful, tasty food!Special Features:
- This is a wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013This is a wonderful experience. The food is fantastic. It is great to experience the talent of the future culinary experts of the world before they achieve fame. Highly recommened.Special Features:
- This was my second time visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/23/2013This was my second time visiting the restaurant and it exceeded my expectations. The food quality and service is excellent. There are a few restaurants here that offer that type of food and service. I wish that you all had more dates for service for lunch during the week. Quite a few of my co-workers have been to your facility. Hopefully, in the future you can open up one or two days at night for service. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Loved when the chef met withOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/14/2012Loved when the chef met with us in the dining room - super polite and professional!Special Features:
- Wow! what a great experience...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2012Wow! what a great experience... We invited our VIP clients to join us for lunch (who happen to be in the resort/Hospitality industry) and they were impressed, our server Marcus and all the students were exceptional. We look forward to many more visits.Special Features: