701 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.passionfish.net/
- Phone: (831) 655-3311
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ted Walter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Passionfish offers two rooms available for private dining. One room seats up to 30 persons and another up to 60 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Cindy Walter 8316553311
A word from Passionfish
Passionfish offers a unique California dining experience with serious food and wine in a fun and casual atmosphere. The ever-changing menu features the freshest, sustainable seafood, slow-cooked meats, organic greens and delectable desserts, all complemented by an award winning wine list priced nearly retail and well below what you've come to expect. Passionfish is owned and operated by Chef Ted Walter and his wife Cindy Walter. They are vocal advocates for sustainable seafood education and were the first officially certified 'Green' restaurant in Monterey County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Passionfish - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
Passionfish reviews from OpenTable diners
400 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (311)notable wine list (242)special occasion (191)neighborhood gem (190)romantic (105)good for groups (50)hot spot (42)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food and wine list, service just ok.ScubacatVIPDined on 11/22/2014The food is great and the wine list extensive, but the service wasn't up to snuff. Our server knew little about the wine list and apparently there was no one on the floor who could help us: our server relied on tasting notes to answer our questions. This was a puzzling lack for a place that prides itself on its wine list. We also felt that our server rushed us a bit and we felt pressure to order in case she disappeared on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a go toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We have eaten at passion fish a few years ago. This year we tried it agai. And we were not disappointed . Excellent fish dishes, very good wine list, very good service. The staff was friendly and very accomadating when we had to change the number in our party. We will most assuredly return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a true neighborhood gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2014This was a wonderful find. Friends recommended Passion Fish to us and we were not disappointed. Starting with great service our experience was excellent. The food was beautifully presented and full of interesting flavors. We really recommend the Crab and Avocado Salad. Spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.. bad seatingBradDined on 11/16/2014The food and service was as good as it gets. For the price paid we didn't' like the cafeteria style seating. We were rubbing elbows with the two tops on both sides of us. A little more space between the tables would be nice. If you goal is a private dinner for two I'd consider going elsewhere. For groups the setting is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where was the passion in passionfish?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014This was my first taste of Passionfish. The other four in my party had been a few times before over the years. The gentleman I spoke to on the phone while making our special request reservation was very enthusiastic and accommodating which I appreciated greatly. I wish I could rate it higher for the thought and creativity is evident and the cooking of the protiens was perfect. The starters and desserts were delectable! The service, flavors, presentation and portions of most of our 5 entrees just didn't fit the price and reputation. ( I wrote a more detailed review though too many characters for this system). Our party being so excited to arrive based on past experience, left in no hurry to return. I would recommend and return to Passionfish to have a meal of only starters and desserts, skipping the entrees altogether, though with so many wonderful restaurant choices in the area I don't see us even doing that soon.
- Delicious, Creative, Flavorful SeafoodEatNRunDined on 11/15/2014I can’t recall ever having had a better seafood meal in a restaurant. It was creative and boldly flavorful. I was pleased to eat at a restaurant committed to environmental protection. Everything I ate was excellent, including what my wife shared from her plate. The standout for me was the avocado and crab salad, which was a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. I can’t wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DiningMeatloverDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant is worthy of dining out for special occasions. Dishes are a bit pricey, but it's worth it. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The food is amazing. I would personally recommend the crabcake as a starter and Rockfish entree. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We heard about Passion Fish from a friend and decided to try it for a date night. We were more than impressed with the entire experience and will be back again. We made a reservation via the website. I'd recommend doing so as the dining area is cozy. The atmosphere is romantic and comfortable. Our waiter was very kind, attentive and knowledgable about the menu and drink selections. The entire wait staff was very attentive. The food was presented beautifly but even more important, the food was amazing! Our fish dishes were divine, cooked and seasoned perfectly, with fabulous sides. We will definitely be back again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningPete128Dined on 11/14/2014From star to Finish it was a wonderful evening Started with the personalized menue for the occation , wonderful staff and excellent food Very nice Birthday celebrationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mismatched and undercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014My wife and I recently dined at Passionfish. In our opinion the food was at best ordinary, and a couple of dishes stood out as considerably less than ordinary. Simply put my wife's tabouli struck her as consisting of a mismatched combination of ingredients. My spaetzle dish incorporated burned chard, cheese, and a mystery item on top. My best guess for the topping is thinly sliced fried carrot strips. Innovative? Unusual? Extraordinary? Or just a wast of perfectly good spaetzle? It simply struck me as an extraordinarily odd combination that served no useful purpose.
- great service and foodKeithDined on 11/12/2014We were on our way to a show and the waiter took into consideration our time delivered great food when we needed it reminded us of our time frame and was just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2014This is an choice, when you are looking for interesting food. We ordered the duck and halibut, and both were excellent. Passionfish will be on our must visit list for all future visits to the Monterey area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passion Fish is delishFoodieMamaDined on 11/9/2014Had a great time and really enjoyed the food. The ambiance was amazing and the restaurant was warm and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fishFemoccDined on 11/9/2014Had the halibut, with tangerine and tamarind sauce, which was flavorful and moist. It was served with soubice, which I did not care for. The texture was a bit offputting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy but great!loves2eatoutDined on 11/8/2014We had a great time here, and a great meal. The "Spoonable 12 hour Lamb " was wonderful. The downsides were the noise level and the tiny size of the dessert (for the price ). Everything was delicious, and we'll definitely go again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - long waitPameDined on 11/8/2014The food was very good. They clearly know how to expertly cook fish. I appreciate that this restaurant only sources sustainable seafood. The only downside to our dinner was waiting to be seated in a very crowded area. We had a 7:45 reservation and weren't seated until 20 minutes after our reservation. The staff was unapologetic about the wait. Otherwise, the experience was satisfactory.Special Features:
- We love this placeVelasquezDined on 11/8/2014This is the 5th time we have gone to this restaurant. The goat Cheese salad was the most amazing salad I have ever tasted. Try the Crab Cakes. Scallops are superb. My wide and I had our 8 year anniversary, and they went out of their way to make it special.Special Features:
- Outstanding innovative seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014Eat at Passionfish - end of story. Don't hesitate. Do reserve. Don't expect privacy. I wish loud talkers would stick to the chains.....Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 11/6/2014The crab cake we had for an appetizer was delicious. The lamb special and the seared tuna were both very tasty. The lemon panettone was disappointing. The flavor was bland and the size of the serving was disappointingly small. The service was good. It was my birthday and they did give me a special birthday menu. The waiter was attentive and checked back with us several times to make sure everything was ok. I liked the fact that they serve only sustainable seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well known gemAlJ1Dined on 11/4/2014Continues its tradition of excellence. Focus on seafood. Creative Menu. Excellent wine list with minimal markup - great value.Special Features:
- Great food, great wine, great pricesparkledonkeyDined on 11/4/2014We had done our research and made this a stop on our vacation for a birthday dinner. We weren't disappointed! The food was great, with complex flavor combinations, excellent ingredients, and an impressive wine list that had obviously chosen with care. We were shocked at the very reasonable prices for ample food portions and bottles of wine that weren't far above market. Definitely worth a visit - if we were locals we'd make it a regular spot. One thing to note: the space itself isn't too impressive but the service and food more than make up for it.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealbyranVIPDined on 11/4/2014This was a great surprise, the service was top notch and the food was even better, they have a wonderful variety of items on the menu, and the brussel sprout salad was a great treat, I had the scallops and they were some of the best i have ever had. The wine list is wonderful, but by the glass is a little limited. I am looking forward to the next time I find myself in Pacific Grove, I am sure I will be coming back!Special Features:
- Service Was a Bit SlowMTO1Dined on 11/1/2014Compared to the past several times we've dined at Passion Fish the service was a bit slow. We had an early reservation, so the place wasn't crowded yet and was a bit puzzled as to why. The food was up to the usual standard so that was good. Server was pleasant and no issues there either. It just took long for the food to arrive.Special Features:
- #1 status well earnedMtgirlDined on 10/31/2014We chose Passionfish based on a review in The CRmel Pine Cone where it was named the #1 restaurant on the Monterey Peninsula and we were lucky to score a late evening table. The place was packed and had great vibes. We started with cheviche and the scallops as appetizers. had the sturgeon, which was so succulent! It was served over a delectable mixture of cauliflower florets, tiny baby turnips, beans, etc., in a flavorful broth.Yum. My husband had the scallops which were perfectly sauced and served with a rice custard and braised kale on the side. Both were great! We shared a nice bottle of wine and finished by sharing the mud pie. We wouldn't definitely return when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and varied menuRobinDined on 10/31/2014We made a reservation and was seated immediately. It was Halloween and some of the staff were dressed in Giants uniforms which was fun. I have been here maybe a dozen times so know the menu changes daily. This time I had a baked gorganzola salad with pecans and then fresh crab and avocado with greens. My friend had brussell sprouts salad and crab cake. All were delicious. Single glass wine choices were nice. It was all good!Special Features:
- Outstanding!CottenclubVIPDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful meal, great affordable wine list and perfect sustainable seafood optionsSpecial Features:
- GREAT seafood restaurantswanDined on 10/27/2014We've been to Passionfish for both of our last 2 anniversary dinners. Their food and service are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner in Pacific GrovetravellibDined on 10/25/2014We spent the weekend in the Monterey area and wanted to find something off the tourist grid. Passionfish was a wonderful find! Service that was attentive without being intrusive, food that was carefully constructed (both in taste and appearance), and an affordable wine list! We happened to hit the night where there were new line cooks and somethings got delayed. We would have never known this, but our server apologized profusely. The scallop entree was sublime--I keep replaying the flavors in my head! We will definitely be back when we're in the Monterey area again.Special Features:
- Great dining, one caveatLoriPDined on 10/25/2014We love Passionfish, and have been many times. The food is excellent, from the starters to the desserts. We really appreciate the sustainability factor too. Service is impeccable. But we've also come to dread the "close quarters" --the seating is, shall we say, intimate, and it's the luck of the draw if one's neighbors will be someone you want to share your nice dining experience with or not. This weekend we had the misfortune of sitting next to folks who thought it wise to watch the Giants game on their cell phone for much of the dinner. In the past, we had a young couple using their flash on their cell phone camera to take multiple pix of their food and themselves. It may be time to institute a "cell phones off" policy?Special Features:
- ....notup2standardsDined on 10/25/2014we found the service to be impersonal bordering upon rudeness. My wife's birthday was acknowledged on the menu, though a small cake and candle would have been a nice touch. I thought the crab and avocado salad very delicious...my wife's lamb dish was tasted odd to both of us. My tilapia was "so-so", and placing in on mashed potatoes would not have been my choice. We will come back, and we will recommend PF to our friends, house guests, and to those to whom we rent our Carmel house to...Saturday's dinner though was definitely beneath our experiences of other fine dinners we have enjoyedthere. Our reservation was for 6:15...we were seated at 6:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerPassionfishWhowDined on 10/24/2014We had to go to Monterey for a wedding over the weekend and wanted to find a place to have a really nice dinner on the Friday night we arrived. I looked and found Passionfish and went to the website to read about the restaurant and was very intrigued by what i read. Needless to say our dinner there was fantastic and the wine selection made my head spin. I would encourage anyone who is in the area for a weekend to make this a must due for dinner. Thank You PassionfishSpecial Features:
- Great place for dinnerOceanloverDined on 10/24/2014Very nice restaurant. The halibut was cooked perfectly with a delicious citrus sauce. The scallops were cooked with an Asian sauce. Very good lemon creme brûlée. Be careful of the crust since it's thicker than the normal brûlée. It can be sharp and get stuck in your throat (like it did mine). Overall, it was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't get much betterkimbavDined on 10/24/2014Outstanding, entertaining, innovative wine list. Quietly expert services, and oh, goodness, the food. Perfection.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMvenDined on 10/24/2014A menu printed with " happy anniversary" on it and an unexpected dessert with a candlemade this delicious anniversary dinner even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid restaurantpchaDined on 10/24/2014Food was excellent, our server was charming and helpful, but the restaurant itself is uninspiring.
- Small portions, no privacySergioOneDined on 10/23/2014No privacy. Tables are literally right next to each other. Hear every word spoken at tables next to you. Good food with small portions. No ambience. Average service. Highly overrated. Too many other Pacific Grove restaurants available.
- Butter with Bread was first warningdisappointedDined on 10/22/2014The place seemed nice but I knew things were going to be bad when the butter served with the bread slapped you in the face with garlic. Not the sweet mellow taste of fresh roasted garlic added to butter but rather like an gigantic slap of garlic powder added. The bread was good though. My entree, the Halibut was ok cooked well but no seasoning and the sauce did not pair with it. I am not sure what the side dish was but it was nasty. My wife had the rainbow trout and she said the fish was cooked well but lacked seasoning and her side was equally bad.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I've eaten here several times and the food is always delicious, creative and well presented. Really appreciate the emphasis on sustainable fish, extensive and well priced wine list and attentive service! Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful fresh fishMarviDined on 10/21/2014Beautifully cooked fresh fish, though a little sparse on the sauce. Awkward service marred the experience somewhat, as our salad was plunked down abruptly by some other person before we even had bread or wine opened. But very kind attention to our request for a quiet table. We ate there twice on our vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpricedhagtips1Dined on 10/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. The meal was good, but for what we got, it was overpriced.Special Features: