701 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.passionfish.net/
- Phone: 8316553311
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ted Walter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Passionfish offers two rooms available for private dining. One room seats up to 30 persons and another up to 60 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Cindy Walter 8316553311
A word from Passionfish
Passionfish offers a unique California dining experience with serious food and wine in a fun and casual atmosphere. The ever-changing menu features the freshest, sustainable seafood, slow-cooked meats, organic greens and delectable desserts, all complemented by an award winning wine list priced nearly retail and well below what you've come to expect. Passionfish is owned and operated by Chef Ted Walter and his wife Cindy Walter. They are vocal advocates for sustainable seafood education and were the first officially certified 'Green' restaurant in Monterey County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Passionfish - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
Passionfish reviews from OpenTable diners
423 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (301)notable wine list (246)special occasion (235)neighborhood gem (210)romantic (120)good for groups (43)hot spot (40)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Passionate IntensityLoonSignDined on 8/31/2014This is a wonderful restaurant. They take the art of cooking seafood to a new level. The combination of flavors is divinely inspired. Their sauces are heaven-sent. If you are in the area, this is a must-visit place to eat.Special Features:
- Great find, food and serviceDeeDubDined on 8/31/2014A bit loud but otherwise a perfect meal from start to finish. Salad, main course and dessert were all wonderful. Great service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceSalemKatDined on 8/30/2014Passion fish appears to be a perpetually busy restaurant and has a good local following and reputation; deservedly so. It would be best to book a table ahead as it was full when we went. The service was excellent with helpful advice about the menu. The menu itself is nicely balanced with not too many choices (as in cook a few things extremely well); both starters and entrees we had were very well cooked and presented. The portions were just right in size. One of the very good things about this restaurant is an extensive wine list organised into categories rather than lists of white, red etc. Good to see lots of local wines available too. Definitely recommend Passionfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8 as always!LydiaFanDined on 8/29/2014While on the Monterey Peninsula, I typically eat out about once per week, and my restaurant of choice more often than any other is Passionfish because of its great menu selections, featuring sustainable fish entrees, and its notable wine list priced at around retail. The service has always been wonderful and the ambience can be energetic, but corner tables for two do provide for nice/intimate conversations on special occasions. This visit again supported all the reasons why I have come to love Passionfish.Special Features:
- Passion Fish ServicebosherdineDined on 8/29/2014Food - when we got it - was excellent. Poor service took the lustre off. #1) I had Fish Soup for starters. My wife had a nice salad - but it did not arrive until AFTER I was done with the soup - and long after we had to flag down the waiter. Who wants to be talking about that?!! #2. We ordered simple entres - Trout and Ragu Spazle. But again a long wait - the people at adjacent tables finished their meals and left before we got our entres. These tables sat down and ordered AFTER we did. One of them was the every same Trout. This will be our memory of Passion Fish. Too bad for newcomers to Pacific Grove.Special Features:
- fit for a foodieJohnDined on 8/29/2014Great food and service. Always consistently great. We have visited many times and take our foodie out of town friends.Special Features:
- Atmosphere Didn't Add to ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014We selected Passionfish based on reviews here. We ordered two seafood dishes and they were both excellent. The very close-together tables combined with the noise level didn't measure up. Based on the high prices and the many, many options we would skip this on our next visit. Our server was excellent and enhanced the experience as best she could.
- excellent foodSamRDined on 8/27/2014Most I liked about is the innovative food. Service is superb. Lacking is a bar..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafoodsurferDined on 8/26/2014Two pleasant dining rooms, one with a nice outlook over Lighthouse Avenue. Creative menu with popular seafood and meat entries presented with interesting and unique flavorful preparations. Rated high by Zagat. Chef owned. The setting is not particularly romantic but conveys cleanliness and good will. Go there for the exceptional meal, not for a candlelight anniversary!!Special Features:
- Again a lovely mealAnitaMWDined on 8/24/2014Passionfish didn't disappoint. Four of us had a lovely meal (salmon, short ribs) the other night. The menu is innovative and the ingredients fresh. We consider this our favorite restaurant in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area.Special Features:
- Great food reasonable pricesseafoodloverDined on 8/24/2014We went to dinner at Passionfish for our anniversary. The food was outstanding. I had the fried oysters with the kimchee relish. It may sound weird but it was delicious. My husband had the spicy sea food soup. He loved it. For entrees I had the scallops and he had the salmon both were really good. We really enjoyed our evening. Our server was very helpful and attentive. The only criticism would be the acoustics. We could hear conversations from across the room.Special Features:
- Excellent food stellar serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014Our experience was so great we went back the next night , just as greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeDeeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Though this restaurant is highly rated on a recent Saturday night the atmosphere was extremely hectic. Food is good but not outstanding. At the price level the experience ought to be more in the fine dining category but felt more like a rushed, feed them, get them out type of restaurant.
- We left before we even sat downkrwalshDined on 8/23/2014We'd made a reservation for dinner, noting that we had two kids, age 1 and 5. When we arrived for our 5pm reservation asked for a highchair for our 1 year old, we were told they do not have high chairs, and instead they gave us a booster seat. It had no belt to hold our son in, and it was clearly not going to work. A restaurant that doesn't have high chairs is clearly communicating "we do not want your kids here." Which is fine, and a reasonable thing if that is what you want for your business. But if that is the case, tell us up front, and we'll go elsewhere. Instead they ruined our 20th anniversary dinner.
- Lucky find!Hard2pleaseDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food and service. We showed up for a reservation we thought was at 6:45, but was actually at 8:45. They were very accommodating and seated us within a few minutes. All of the dishes were delicious. Our server was able to answer questions about which menu items were gluten free and double checked when she wasn't sure. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- MediocreFrancesca22Dined on 8/22/2014We ate here on Friday night and both entrees were mediocre. I'm not sure what people are raving about. I order fish all of the time, and I was so disappointed in the rockfish and my spouse thought the salmon was just meh. Either we ordered the entirely "wrong" entrees or they were having a very "off" night.
- one nightdispassionateDined on 8/22/2014Can't really tell about a restaurant from one night. That said, on this night, the food was okay, nothing to jump up and down about. The wine list was very good and this restaurant doesn't mark up from retail, which is extraordinary. Server was knowledgeable and attentive and service generally was fine.Special Features:
- YummeelkaDined on 8/22/2014My friend swears she had the best scallops of her life. I agree they were very good....maybe not the BEST, but very good. The Rockfish was meh comparatively, but still good. Very comfortable atmosphere. Very comfortable yet fancy enough for a "special" meal. Would definitely recommend and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great DiningJimsDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful dining experience. Celebrated my wife's birthday had a wonderful time. We had such nice time we came back 2 nights later and had another great meal. My compliments to the chef,bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, atmosphere yukCoffeebuzzDined on 8/21/2014The food was exceptional - creative, cooked perfectly, presented beautifully and hot. But the room reminds me of a hospital waiting room. Actually CHOMP, the local hospital, has a more inviting and imaginative design. I realize the are trying to keep it low-key, but the restaurant detracts from the chef's obivious talents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, food and winesPGfavDined on 8/21/2014Passion Fish is one of my favorite restaurants, I make special trips to take friends/family to dine here. The food is excellent, serve is great and this is truly a hidden gem in the area.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014A big line of people but through OpenTable we were seated immediately. Our food (scallops, sturgeon, lamb) was very fresh and cooked perfectly. Wait staff were very friendly and professional. Wish we live in Pacific Grove so we could go to Passionfish often, but we'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- AndThenVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food was quite good. My salmon was extraordinary. My husband's halibut was a tad overcooked. The salad was excellent. The champagne by the glass was excellent; the chardonay by the glass was unremarkable. Only real downside was we felt rushed.Special Features:
- Fabulous restraintKdavis1283Dined on 8/19/2014This was my first time dining here, and I had heard so many great reviews I wanted to take my bf here for his bday. Even though I am not much if a seafood eater they had a lot of options! The wine, the dinner and dessert were quite spectacular and the service was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeatedly deliciousBurkhartDined on 8/19/2014again a wonderful dining experience! great service, interesting - and ever-changing - wine list with price points for everyone. But - the best part is the food - we go there often and there's enough variety in the menu not to get tired of the same things. applaud having sustainable choices always thoughtfully prepared.Special Features:
- AmazingYumyumyummyDined on 8/18/2014In California for 12 days...the best food during our entire stay.....Special Features:
- best anniversary dinner ever!CAB3034Dined on 8/18/2014We selected Passionfish for our 40th anniversary dinner, and it did not disappoint. Creative flavor combinations, perfectly prepared fish, beautiful presentations and attentive service..... who could ask for anything more!? The only off note was struck by an ongoing loud conversation at the adjacent table. Fortunately for us, we were able to scoot away from it once the table to the other side of us was vacated. Our waitress graciously helped us transfer plates etc. The complimentary dessert was a nice finish to a memorable meal. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This is a definite "will return again" restaurant!!! Outside of it being noisy and therefore difficult to hear one another, our party of 7 all agreed the food was fabulous. Not one complaint among us. You will not be disappointed and we have already recommended Passionfish to friends of ours staying in the area.Special Features:
- Fantastic!Pedro1Dined on 8/15/2014Excellent servce, affordable and strong wine list but above all, the food was fantastic! I very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Inventive, freshDriftwoodDined on 8/15/2014Inventive, fresh food keeps us coming back. The service is friendly, professional and consistent.Special Features:
- kelly deruosiKellyDined on 8/15/2014we celebrated my dad'd 75th birthday. food was wonderful and lindsay (spelling?) was the perfect wait person. excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the AreaSteveDined on 8/14/2014This is by far my favorite restaurant in the Carmel area! I eat here every time I am in town and have never been disappointed. The food is always exceptional and the service is top notch (last time I ate there our cab was 40 min out so the Manager had one of her staff give us a ride back to Carmel in her own car!). The wine list is notable in that all bottles are priced at retail with some real gems you probably have never heard of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!DizneylanzDined on 8/13/2014Loved the beautiful local ingredients and the thoughtfulness in the preparation of their seasonal dishes. Unfortunately the service was an issue. One member of our party received a random dish that was not ordered. When the server finally returned to our table she gave a ridiculous excuse as to why the dish that was ordered had not arrived and never addressed the fact the wrong dish was sent to our table. By the time the missing entree made it the meal was over!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rachellemDined on 8/13/2014Loved the sustainable seafood-focused menu. Food was delicious with lovely wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real food!NativesfDined on 8/11/2014Excellent well crafted fresh food with knowledgeable, helpful staff. Could eat here every day if possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative fishKitkatDined on 8/11/2014Great Californian gush restaurant with knowledgeable passionate staff, perhaps a little over hyped in reputation, but certainly worth a visit or twoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DLsbestDined on 8/11/2014A truly outstanding dining experience. We drove hundreds of miles out of our way just to be able to dine at Passion Fish.Special Features:
- I wanted to like itLincolnFordDined on 8/10/2014Steak place can cook great seafood, a fish place should stick to fish. The appetizers are fantastic and could make a meal out of just ordering the top partof the menu. The seafood dishes are above average and very good but the non seafood dishes should be dropped all together. The special was rib eye and took three chances and the brisket was awful. The waitress explained the rib eye takes along time to cook and we need to eat the over cooked meat. What? They ruined the meat and we need to accept it. The service at that point went from excellent to good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceRUN2EATVIPDined on 8/10/2014This is the 2nd time in 4 days that we have dined at Passionfish during our stay in the Monterey Peninsula. We always dine here every time we visit Monterey. Our dining experience each time has always been exceptional. The restaurant features sustainable seafood & fresh local vegetables & fruit. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceluvthecoastDined on 8/9/2014After dining at Passionfish three times, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that they serve the most creative, fresh, delicious seafood dishes in the area! During our last visit, we also discovered the fantastic lemon creme brûlée! The food is matched only by their outstanding, caring service. We've enjoyed introducing family members and friends to this restaurant because we can always count on having a wonderful dining experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.