701 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.passionfish.net/
- Phone: 8316553311
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ted Walter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Passionfish offers two rooms available for private dining. One room seats up to 30 persons and another up to 60 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Cindy Walter 8316553311
A word from Passionfish
Passionfish offers a unique California dining experience with serious food and wine in a fun and casual atmosphere. The ever-changing menu features the freshest, sustainable seafood, slow-cooked meats, organic greens and delectable desserts, all complemented by an award winning wine list priced nearly retail and well below what you've come to expect. Passionfish is owned and operated by Chef Ted Walter and his wife Cindy Walter. They are vocal advocates for sustainable seafood education and were the first officially certified 'Green' restaurant in Monterey County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Passionfish - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
Passionfish reviews from OpenTable diners
447 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (328)notable wine list (258)special occasion (251)neighborhood gem (222)romantic (130)good for groups (47)hot spot (40)kid-friendly (17)great for lunch (9)late-night find (6)great for brunch (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I note this questionnaire is carefully designed to skew the results. For example, the penultimate noise level is "energetic" but the last one is "do not recall." There's no box to check "too loud." (Passionfish wasn't too loud.) This is my second visit. The food was all excellent (I tasted everything) except I've had better sturgeon. It tasted muddy (maybe a crossover from the beans with which it was served). The service is friendly, courteous, attentive but not intrusive. The portions are just right. The side dishes and the wine list are imaginative. I appreciate that the menu is limited to sustainable fishery guidelines even if it means the fish is not locally-caught.Special Features:
- Not as good as usualADinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Too bad as this has always been an excellent restaurant and the food and service were just average this time.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We dined at Passionfish on Friday evening and had a lovely time. Service is wonderful, food is delicious and wine list is fine. My only complaint is that for the price the plates are very small. For example: For the price my fried oyster appetizer should have had four oysters (as they were fairly small), and my scallop entrée should have had four scallops, not three. Just saying. Otherwise lovely experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Fantastic fish restaurant. Lived up to the many positive reviews. Also especially liked their moderate pricing to go along with the top quality food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencejcsunVIPDined on 9/18/2014Overall wonderful experience. Seated right away and server was friendly, knowledgable and attentive. Ambience was not too fancy. It's all about the food here. Deconstructed Greek salad was unique and delicious. My husband had the lamb and LOVED it. I had the rockfish, I liked it. Very light but flavorful. Dessert was amazing, we got the crime brûlée and the flour less chocolate cake - outstanding. Wine was also unique and inexpensive. We'd come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Passionate.VinodudeDined on 9/18/2014While the food was certainly delicious, the biggest plus for me was the knowledge & professionalism of the staff. I heard great pairing conversations goin on at every table, with all of them quoting chapter & verse from a very eclectic wine list. Even the very front of the house was nonplussed by our blatant attempt to move up our rezzie time & sat us within five minutes of our arrival (don't count on that happening too often). It's really fun to watch a top notch restaurant staff do their thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knowledgeable Wait StaffBirdlegzVIPDined on 9/18/2014Really wonderful menu selections here; I had rock fish with a raisin rum sauce that was so good. Our server was very helpful, with suggestions for wine pairing and a perfect desert. The space is elegant and simple, but feels a little "close", as the windows are opaque, and the tables, very close to one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- missthecoastDined on 9/16/2014Extraordinary food and service! Passionfish definitely lives up to it's reviews. The wine list is exemplary, service is spot-on and the only fish we have ever eaten that is fresher is that which we caught ourselves. Keep swimming, Passionfish!!Special Features:
- Perfect Every TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/14/2014Amazing sustainable fish! Passionfish always delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the waitmilkmanVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had a reservation but needed to wait a while as tables were not opening up. Not much space in the waiting area, fortunately it was a nice night so we could wait outside. The front staff handled the wait for us very well and soon we were seated. Our server came right over and we ordered a nice bottle of Dolcetta from their large but reasonable wine list. He was able to accommodate a couple of our party with some vegan offerings and had the chef make up a nice plate for them. We were surprised at how fast they got our meals outs to us, even with the off menu items. Dessert looked enticing but we had all had enough. The only down side as it was very loud where we sat and difficult to hear the other end of the table.Special Features:
- Tight tablesDorisDined on 9/13/2014Wonderful food but the tables were so close it made it hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fish and WineEdmundDantesDined on 9/13/2014Passionfish is great. The fish is fresh; the cooking is careful and precise; and the food is delicious. It also has an amazing wine list, full of interesting wines that you rarely encounter elsewhere. For example, their selection of Chenin Blancs is amazing. The restaurant can be a bit loud, but that is largely because it is a small place, and it is frequently full (because the food and wine are so great).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Dropped in after a movie and wondered why it took us so long to return to this amazing restaurant! Food is always fresh and out of this world. Not only does it taste delicious but looks beautiful on your plate. Wine list is to die for of course.Special Features:
- RbofrbRbofrbDined on 9/9/2014We dined on consecutive evenings and found a true consistency in food quality. Seafood is a must. Service was friendly and attentive. Wine list was over the top. If you find yourself in P G you must visit Passonfish. Their name says it all.Special Features:
- Great Food and WineMrsBDined on 9/8/2014We discovered this restaurant a year ago and have been coming ever since when we are in the area. Food is flavorful and well prepared, including both fish and meat dishes. The wine list is excellent and very well priced. Expect a high activity and noise level, though, because it is a favorite of lots of others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and deliciousPJDivaVIPDined on 9/8/2014We've been to Pacific Grove many times over the years but never made it to Passionfish until this trip. We all found the food well prepared and delicious. I had the lamb and it was so flavorful and tender. My friends had the rockfish and the spatzle. They loved their dinners too. Everything was wonderful without being oversalted. We tried the delicious desserts (chocolate torte, panna cotta and lemon verbena creme brulee). We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- A nice quiet eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My husband and I finally went to Passionfish after many weeks of commenting how we have wanted to try it out. The wine list was quiet extensive and had some great bottles and half bottles to chose from. We couldn't decide on a bottle to share so I just had a glass of the rose and he had the syrah. The heirloom tomato salad was amazing, as was the sea bass sashimi appetizer. I had the rockfish in rum sauce, I couldn't believe how tender and flavorful the fish was. Husband had the spaetzel with beef waygu, and he said that the beef was exceptionally tender. For dessert we had the banana bread pudding with ginger ice cream and it was quite decadent! All in all we had an excellent time at Passionfish and will definitely be going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- radicaladventureDined on 9/6/2014We had two entrees, two starters, and a fabulous bottle of French wine for less than $120 with top. We can hardly have lunch in the Bay Area for that much! We would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missed!heatherDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant has the most imaginative and exquisite food. Every component in the dish is discernible and the fusion of flavours is simply stunning. What a find. We had one of the most memorable dinners ever. We are real foodies and love discovering wonderful new dining experiences in our home town of London England and throughout the U.K. This easily matches the best London has to offer. Service was excellent and staff very knowledgeable. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionmoultonearthDined on 9/6/2014It was a birthday celebration for me, we had some friends who were also dining at another table celebrating an anniversary, we bought them appetizers and wine and we were generally celebrating life. It's not the first time we've been here, first time I've tried the Duck Confit, though and it was amazing! Loved the spicy catfish appetizer and my husband ordered the spatzle, delicious, which is why we keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightluvswineDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went here for our 4 year wedding anniversary. The wait staff was awesome. They sat us at a table of our choice. when they brought us the menu it said Happy Anniversary on the top, which I thought was a very nice touch. Also when bring us our dessert they had lit a candle in each one, which I also thought was sweet. They went out of their way to make sure our dinner was a special one. As usual the food and wine was wonderful.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the food and ambienceWhymeVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was the first time we have eaten at Passionfish. We would definitely go back when we are again in the Monterey area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Tight SeatingPanebVIPDined on 9/5/2014Worth the trip for the food, our only issues were no handicapped access and tables are too close together, so the noise level very high as well. It was better as the restaurant emptied. We enjoyed talking to the people next to us, but the server's rear is in your face when taking orders or delivering food. Really interesting preparations of fresh sustainable foods. Both the pastry stuffed with Gorgonzola on a bed of greens and the scallop on a fried cake of potatoes and artichoke hearts were really delicious. We had the rock fish with a rum glaze and the crusted tilapia. Both had sauces and vegetables that were very complementary to their delicate seafood flavors. The food is worth overlooking restaurant layout. Wine list is exceptional.Special Features:
- Noise level spoiled return visitCGplusHDined on 9/5/2014We looked forward to our return visit after a couple of years since we had been in Monterey but the noise level spoiled our evening. The wait staff did their best and accommodated our moving two times to get a quieter spot but that's hard to do in this place that has minimal noise absorbing materials. The food was good not as great as we had remembered but I think that could have been our menu choices. We had the sturgeon and the halibut -- ok but not enough to bring us back. The bread pudding was superb. The wine list is the big draw. If you aren't interested in talking to your dinner mate, you will be fine.Special Features:
- Terrific Dining with the kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Once again, while vacationing in beautiful Monterey county we ate at Passionfish. The trout, scallops, and Rockfish were perfectly cooked. We also had the crab salad and the heirloom tomato salad. Of course, the children just had to have the flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Yummy. We will be back in a few months :) Another memorable dining experience. * Also made a reservation on Open Table on a Fri. nite and we were running about 20 min. late. The restaurant was able to accommodate us anyway. Thank Goodness!
- Good eatsfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Passionfish has an extensive seafood menu. My husband ordered a fish dish, and it was delicious. I ordered a duck confit dish, and it was tasty but overcooked and dry as a result. The appetizers were the best tasting. The chef really put alot more thought and efforts into marrying the right ingredients together to achieve the unique tastes. Maybe the same can be done to the main dishes where the chef can experiment and create some tasty and unique main entrees, like two new ones every week, and keep the successful ones but continue to develop new ones, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passionfish experienceGlennDined on 9/4/2014Passionfish has never disappointed us. Food preparation and taste is outstanding coupled with the eye catching presentation makes you want to come back for more. Service was excellent and the restaurant noise level was moderate. Can be noisy with large groups.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodvivianVIPDined on 9/4/2014We were seated in the back room with a group celebrating birthday. They were very happy as a birthday party should be. Only when we walked through the main dining area on our way out we realized the rest of the restaurant is rather peaceful and easy on the ears. Other than that we thoroughly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:
- Best meal on the planetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014The lamb breast was the best lamb on the planet; tender with a perfectly prepared sauce. The Meyer Lemon panna cotta dessert an excellent contrast. I am always searching for great food and here it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!gth865aVIPDined on 9/3/2014My girlfriend and I vacationed in Monterey (4 nights) and this was the best meal we had during our vacation! The service was impeccable from the moment we walked in the door. The wine list is a lot of fun, and the prices truly provide an extraordinary value. We were able to do a half bottle and a full bottle for less than $100 while being completely satisfied with both. The food was top quality and presented very well. We would recommend this place to anyone and will be returning there in the future.Special Features:
- Special in Every Way!SpoiledGirlDined on 9/3/2014Our dining experience at Passionfish was outstanding! The food was incredible, creative and beautifully presented. The service was perfect -- efficient and friendly. We had a couple of seafood appetizers so didn't feel too guilty ordering two non-fish entrees. So glad we did because the "spoonable" lamb dish was to die for! Loved the wine list and restaurant's policy to price their wines close to regular retail. No room for dessert though, although they sounded wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at PassionFishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My wife and I along with two teenage grandchildren experienced a great evening dining at the PassionFish Restaurant. Marla our server, welcomed us as first-timers and was very gracious and informatitive as she explained the many entrees and appetitezers on the menu. Everything we ordered was delicious and service was excellent and this was a great dining-out experience for our family! Exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner houseYumyumfunDined on 9/2/2014Great food. Very friendly and attentive staff. The wine list is impressive and well priced. We enjoyed our evening very much and would return anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fish dinningJuegilaDined on 9/1/2014Everything was just perfect. And the price is really worth it. High quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passionate IntensityLoonSignDined on 8/31/2014This is a wonderful restaurant. They take the art of cooking seafood to a new level. The combination of flavors is divinely inspired. Their sauces are heaven-sent. If you are in the area, this is a must-visit place to eat.Special Features:
- Great find, food and serviceDeeDubDined on 8/31/2014A bit loud but otherwise a perfect meal from start to finish. Salad, main course and dessert were all wonderful. Great service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing treatkrissyDined on 8/31/2014Passionfish has never let me down. It's always such a delicious meal, a real treat, whenever we're in the area. The starters, mains, and desserts never disappoint. The ingredients are fresh and real care is put into each element of the dish. The staff work together nicely. There's a nice timing to the meal, enough attention but not "in your face" attention. If possible, save room for dessert. The bread pudding is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceSalemKatDined on 8/30/2014Passion fish appears to be a perpetually busy restaurant and has a good local following and reputation; deservedly so. It would be best to book a table ahead as it was full when we went. The service was excellent with helpful advice about the menu. The menu itself is nicely balanced with not too many choices (as in cook a few things extremely well); both starters and entrees we had were very well cooked and presented. The portions were just right in size. One of the very good things about this restaurant is an extensive wine list organised into categories rather than lists of white, red etc. Good to see lots of local wines available too. Definitely recommend Passionfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014First time at Passion Fish. My friend was visiting from the Bay Area. We would recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Gr8 as always!LydiaFanDined on 8/29/2014While on the Monterey Peninsula, I typically eat out about once per week, and my restaurant of choice more often than any other is Passionfish because of its great menu selections, featuring sustainable fish entrees, and its notable wine list priced at around retail. The service has always been wonderful and the ambience can be energetic, but corner tables for two do provide for nice/intimate conversations on special occasions. This visit again supported all the reasons why I have come to love Passionfish.Special Features: