701 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.passionfish.net/
- Phone: 8316553311
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:00PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Ted Walter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Passionfish offers two rooms available for private dining. One room seats up to 30 persons and another up to 60 persons.
- Private Party Contact: Cindy Walter 8316553311
A word from Passionfish
Passionfish offers a unique California dining experience with serious food and wine in a fun and casual atmosphere. The ever-changing menu features the freshest, sustainable seafood, slow-cooked meats, organic greens and delectable desserts, all complemented by an award winning wine list priced nearly retail and well below what you've come to expect. Passionfish is owned and operated by Chef Ted Walter and his wife Cindy Walter. They are vocal advocates for sustainable seafood education and were the first officially certified 'Green' restaurant in Monterey County.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Passionfish - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
Passionfish reviews from OpenTable diners
437 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (326)notable wine list (260)special occasion (228)neighborhood gem (208)romantic (119)good for groups (45)hot spot (42)kid-friendly (16)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- GREAT seafood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014We've been to Passionfish for both of our last 2 anniversary dinners. Their food and service are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner in Pacific GrovetravellibDined on 10/25/2014We spent the weekend in the Monterey area and wanted to find something off the tourist grid. Passionfish was a wonderful find! Service that was attentive without being intrusive, food that was carefully constructed (both in taste and appearance), and an affordable wine list! We happened to hit the night where there were new line cooks and somethings got delayed. We would have never known this, but our server apologized profusely. The scallop entree was sublime--I keep replaying the flavors in my head! We will definitely be back when we're in the Monterey area again.Special Features:
- Great dining, one caveatLoriPDined on 10/25/2014We love Passionfish, and have been many times. The food is excellent, from the starters to the desserts. We really appreciate the sustainability factor too. Service is impeccable. But we've also come to dread the "close quarters" --the seating is, shall we say, intimate, and it's the luck of the draw if one's neighbors will be someone you want to share your nice dining experience with or not. This weekend we had the misfortune of sitting next to folks who thought it wise to watch the Giants game on their cell phone for much of the dinner. In the past, we had a young couple using their flash on their cell phone camera to take multiple pix of their food and themselves. It may be time to institute a "cell phones off" policy?Special Features:
- ....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014we found the service to be impersonal bordering upon rudeness. My wife's birthday was acknowledged on the menu, though a small cake and candle would have been a nice touch. I thought the crab and avocado salad very delicious...my wife's lamb dish was tasted odd to both of us. My tilapia was "so-so", and placing in on mashed potatoes would not have been my choice. We will come back, and we will recommend PF to our friends, house guests, and to those to whom we rent our Carmel house to...Saturday's dinner though was definitely beneath our experiences of other fine dinners we have enjoyedthere. Our reservation was for 6:15...we were seated at 6:45.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014We had to go to Monterey for a wedding over the weekend and wanted to find a place to have a really nice dinner on the Friday night we arrived. I looked and found Passionfish and went to the website to read about the restaurant and was very intrigued by what i read. Needless to say our dinner there was fantastic and the wine selection made my head spin. I would encourage anyone who is in the area for a weekend to make this a must due for dinner. Thank You PassionfishSpecial Features:
- Great place for dinnerOceanloverDined on 10/24/2014Very nice restaurant. The halibut was cooked perfectly with a delicious citrus sauce. The scallops were cooked with an Asian sauce. Very good lemon creme brûlée. Be careful of the crust since it's thicker than the normal brûlée. It can be sharp and get stuck in your throat (like it did mine). Overall, it was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't get much betterkimbavDined on 10/24/2014Outstanding, entertaining, innovative wine list. Quietly expert services, and oh, goodness, the food. Perfection.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMvenDined on 10/24/2014A menu printed with " happy anniversary" on it and an unexpected dessert with a candlemade this delicious anniversary dinner even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good solid restaurantpchaDined on 10/24/2014Food was excellent, our server was charming and helpful, but the restaurant itself is uninspiring.
- Small portions, no privacySergioOneDined on 10/23/2014No privacy. Tables are literally right next to each other. Hear every word spoken at tables next to you. Good food with small portions. No ambience. Average service. Highly overrated. Too many other Pacific Grove restaurants available.
- Butter with Bread was first warningdisappointedDined on 10/22/2014The place seemed nice but I knew things were going to be bad when the butter served with the bread slapped you in the face with garlic. Not the sweet mellow taste of fresh roasted garlic added to butter but rather like an gigantic slap of garlic powder added. The bread was good though. My entree, the Halibut was ok cooked well but no seasoning and the sauce did not pair with it. I am not sure what the side dish was but it was nasty. My wife had the rainbow trout and she said the fish was cooked well but lacked seasoning and her side was equally bad.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I've eaten here several times and the food is always delicious, creative and well presented. Really appreciate the emphasis on sustainable fish, extensive and well priced wine list and attentive service! Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful fresh fishMarviDined on 10/21/2014Beautifully cooked fresh fish, though a little sparse on the sauce. Awkward service marred the experience somewhat, as our salad was plunked down abruptly by some other person before we even had bread or wine opened. But very kind attention to our request for a quiet table. We ate there twice on our vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpricedhagtips1Dined on 10/20/2014My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. The meal was good, but for what we got, it was overpriced.Special Features:
- Passion Fish has my vote.DrRobertDined on 10/18/2014Amazing. I was expecting a more romantic darker swankier resturant. But the food was amazing, J.P our waiter was steller. I mentioned thru "open table" it was our annivarsery. And to my suprise, on the top of the menu, said. "Happy 22nd Wedding Annivarsery Rob & Susie." That did it for me. Every time im in town im going to Passion Fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComeeatDined on 10/18/2014The food and ambiance were top notch. A special weekend in Monterey was capped off with a wonderful dinner at Passionfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummylovesoupVIPDined on 10/17/2014Who can not order those Brussels sprouts? And I don't even like Brussels sprouts!Special Features:
- Always greatuxuserDined on 10/17/2014Consistent, flavorful, fresh, would return in a heartbeat. Hard to choose what to get my wife said, so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining experienceFoodieDined on 10/16/2014We especially appreciated that the wine was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fresh and tasty!JeanHuguesDined on 10/15/2014We went there based upon recommendation of locals where we stayed for 2 days. Everything was perfect, tasty, well seasoned and the mix of ingredients, from the appetizer to dessert was wonderful. We truly appreciate our diner there. Service with John was very kind and he suggested us some mix food/wine. Wine list is very rich too and prices are wallet friendly!Special Features:
- Excellent experience!FoodyWithaToddlerVIPDined on 10/15/2014My husband and I were in Monterey for an anniversary trip and had heard great things about Passionfish. We had a great experience! It was by far our favorite meal of the trip. The rockfish and the sturgeon were terrific. The server was very knowledgeable about the impressive and extensive wine list. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Love this placeShantiDined on 10/15/2014I have been vacationing in Pacific Grove for many years, and Passionfish just keeps getting better and better. The food is superb, the service is always excellent, and the atmosphere is very friendly yet at the same time sophisticated enough. I could eat here night after night!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantMontyDined on 10/14/2014This is our third visit to Passionfish and everytime it has been a wonderful experience. Now anytime we visit Monterey we will always make sure that we go back to Passionfish for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uninspired ricetimewonderer13VIPDined on 10/14/2014Had a pleasant time. Service was excellent. The markup on wines is minimal, and the list extensive. Had avocado-crab salad, which was excellent. The Rockfish was also delicious, except the rice looked and tasted like something that was scraped up from the bottom of a pot.Special Features:
- The Best In MontereyVagabondsDined on 10/13/2014We visit Monterey frequently and this is our favorite restaurant. We have never been disappointed and would recommend it to anyone looking for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- My first 5-star review!VinfanDined on 10/12/2014Excellent -- everything from food quality to wine list to reasonable prices. Try the fried oysters with SE Asian-inspired kimchee, the seared scallop atop a crispy risotto cake for apps. Entrees were equally delicious: rockfish with coconut rice and, surprisingly for a fish place, duck confit in a honey sauce with broccolini and potato cake. A nice French rose worked with everything. Just outstanding! Be sure to reserve -- this little place is rightfully popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for mesavannahDined on 10/7/2014isn't easy for an european to appreciate average american restaurants but this is not average! Fresh food, authentic flavours not shaded with creams or ketchups, accurate cooking (not too much, not raw), rich wine list. Simply 4 to 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisejustaguyDined on 10/7/2014Our first impression of Passionfish was mixed - the location in downtown Pacific Grove is nice enough but from the exterior the restaurant looks a little dated. However, the interior is very nice and seating is in several smaller rooms, which keeps the noise level below the unpleasant din found in many newer restaurants. Service was understated but attentive, and the menu and food were outstanding. The crab cake appetizer was better than most, and the rockfish special and lamb tagine were both excellent. Good wine and beer choices at reasonable prices. Compared to the standard Monterey restaurant experience (overpriced and touristy), Passionfish was a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!MBB3Dined on 10/6/2014We love Passionfish and try to eat here when we visit the Monterey/Pacific Grove area. They never disappoint! The fish dishes are outstanding and the appetizers, salads and desserts are all excellent. You can't go wrong with a meal at Passionfish!Special Features:
- Always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014We come here every year for our anniversary for many reasons, relaxed sophisticated atmosphere, good service and great seafood dishes.Special Features:
- A disappointing slide to mediocreMcCallDined on 10/6/2014Perhaps a lower rating is a result of higher expectations & great experience in the past. This time, flavors in both entrées were off. The lemon in the salmon was quite bitter and not at all appetizing. The salmon itself was a bit bland. Beef fillet had a notable sour taste which was much stronger than most grass fed beef we have had. The baked Gorgonzola salad was not only not properly described, it was significantly over dressed and dripping in the very sweet, curry dressing. Less would have been much better. The baked Gorgonzola is one small spanakopita on a large, substantial salad. But, a more accurate description would have been "salad garnished with small piece of filo wrapped gorgonzola"' not baked Gorgonzola Salad.
- Always a Winner!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Passionfish has been one of my favorite restaurants for many years. They have amazing food for both seafood lovers and others. Everything is sustainably sourced and oh-so-yummy!! The wine list is not only outstanding, it is also a remarkable value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- looking4newplacesDined on 10/5/2014I would go back there whenever I was in Pacific Grove. It was a great find!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experience!JTCplusRRCDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were superb, little noisy but overall an exceptional experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectfish - Sustainable & DelishHermiaDined on 10/3/2014Went to PassionFish for a Friday getaway dinner in early October and the place was definitely hopping. Lots of people were waiting, but with our reservation we were seated to the minute at the time we'd booked. The noise level was pretty high where everyone was waiting near the door, but the space is divided into lots of smaller rooms where its' still lively, but we had no trouble hearing each other talk in normal tones of voice. The menu is well focused and the fish cooked to perfection. Sea scallops on artichoke risotto were melting-the-heart good, both light and savory. Wild King Salmon was rare (we were warned!) & awesome. Vegetarians will have few, but great, options here. Service also cheerful, attentive, and skilled.Special Features:
- Another PG gemFoodDoctorDined on 10/3/2014We keep finding great places in Pacific Grove. Passionfish is at the top of the heap. Very inventive combinations, excellent service. You owe it to yourself to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet dinerPedroDined on 10/3/2014Very good cuisine, the food is very well done, it is not always easy to find lobster tail and scallop cooked just right! The veggie mouses on the side were perfect and originally flavorful. It is too bad that we were only here for a weekend, other wise we would probably visit Passion Fish very regularly!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dan & Stephanie2happyTummiesDined on 10/3/2014We truly had the most amazing dinner ever! We will definitely be back! Our server had the most amazing smile that just made you feel so welcomed. We had fun ordering several appetizers that just exploded with flavors! All of the dishes were timed beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Karen FlynnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Had a fabulous dinner at Passionfish. The service was off the chart. Fabulous wine selection and great for those who eat fish, meat or vegetarians. Perfect seasoning and spices. On yes, the warm bread. . . .Special Features:
- luvthisplace10Dined on 10/2/2014The best food on the greater Monterey peninsula. Maybe even northern CA. The chef is a mastermind of food and I just hope this does not change. Gets better each time I go. A little pricey but well worth the money. We had a wonderful waiter and the other staff is very attentive.Special Features: