Pasion - SF
737 Irving St
San Francisco, CA 94122Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pasion - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pasionsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 742-5727
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM,
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM,
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sunday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Jose Calvo-Perez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Review menu options on Restaurants Web site
A word from Pasion - SF
Welcome to Pasion, the Nuevo Latino restaurant from owner and executive chef Jose Calvo-Perez. Pasion brings a taste of the Latino Carribean, South and Central America to the Inner Sunset District of San Francisco, combining excitement and energy of Latin American cuisine and décor with a modern, urban flavor. ¡Buen Provecho!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pasion - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (19)great for brunch (11)good for groups (11)hot spot (11)special occasion (10)romantic (6)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great for brunchTurtleAndBearDined on 10/26/2014All of our food choices were excellently prepared, and our server was very informative when we had questions about the menu. The empanadas looked small but were packed full of flavor. We'll come back and try dinner and dessert next time!Special Features:
- prefer it for dinnermikeSFDined on 10/25/2014Recently took a friend here for his birthday. Have been here a couple of times for dinner and thought it was great. Brunch was expensive for what it was and just OK - foodwise. Service was fine but would have preferred a better meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhills itSunsetLoverDined on 10/22/2014I've eaten here a few times before and the food was really good. It seems to have gone downhill a bit. They redid the menu a bit and it's not the same even regulars like the ceviche Quattro was not very good. We always get that. The fish was slightly fishy and the tuna looked more brown than pink and the corn garnish was tasteless. I got the seafood stew for the main dish which was new and the sauce was quite good and really thick, but not quite a stew. It definitely needed more sauce as the sauce was more of a garnish and who serves a stew on a plate? The whole fried fish was a little shocking. My friend said her paella's rice was hard. I' ve had the paella in the past and it was good.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in inner sunsetJesseDined on 10/15/2014Best restaurant in the Inner Sunset. Excellent food. Good choice of wines. Excellent service. Pleasant and yet energetic ambiance. Vibrant yet not noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusieDined on 10/8/2014Great and creative Peruvian food--- will definitelypreturn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch Peruvian cuisineJohnDined on 9/20/2014The lamb is outstanding, the beer on tap smooth and delicious, while the cerviche is truly tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and slow serviceGrasshopperDined on 9/19/2014The food was good. However it was loud and the service was slow.Special Features:
- Engagement DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014I went to Pasion in celebration of my engagement. The food and service were excellent and the service was top notch. I have absolutely no complaints about this restaurant and would love to returnSpecial Features:
- Crab cake eggs benedict! Mimosas!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Two of us has the crab cake eggs benedict. The crab was meaty, the sauce was creamy, the egg muffin done just right. My friend said the egg was not runny enough, it is supposed to be more runny, but that was fine with me. (Either would have been fine with me.) If anything, it just made it a little less messy. He would've preferred a runnier egg. Our third had heuvos rancheros which definitely requires a runny egg. It was not. Our benedict eggs were not solid, just a tad runny, but the huevos rancheros were cooked all the way through. Other than the lack of runny egg yolk, she liked her meal. They do have a bottomless mimosa. Delish! Friend had pisco sour, said it was good. Has whipped egg, some places don't.Special Features:
- Great Inner Sunset RestaurantEileenVIPDined on 9/12/2014We love Pasion and go there frequently. The food is consistently good and they have a great menu.Special Features:
- always wonderfulRobinDined on 9/12/2014Great food, lovely atmosphere. This place never lets you down, and it's in walking distance from our house, too. See you the next time we celebrate!Special Features:
- Very underwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Ceviche was way too sour, crabwich was just a pile of mush, and burger was pretty flavorless. Could also barely even hear my own voice, and this was only at noon.
- TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Second time visiting for Brunch. The food for the price is great. I had the Salmon eggs Benedict and my wife has baked eggs. Both were delicious. Can't beat bottomless belinis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty!nomnomnomDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten here before many times and often frequent fresca (which is owned by the same people and very similar)...the atmosphere was off this time..it was more noisy than usual but we can deal with the extra noise. The real problem came when we got our food- it was super salty. Maybe there was some kitchen miscommunication over seasoning or a new chef, but both our meals were super over seasoned. I just had the same dish at fresca a week before which was great, so it wasnt the recipe or anything...disappointed :(
- $1 oysters Monday happy hourFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I mainly went here for the $1 oysters Monday happy hour. A few of the oysters were extremely small, like scraps. Even though, it's considered cheap for $1, they should not give the extremely small and bad quality ones to customers.
- The following 491 reviews are from the Pasion - SF reviews archive.
- inventive menuesfdinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014wonderful Spanish / Peruvian menu, always well prepared and fresh. Ceviche is particularly good, as is paellaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!MsueDined on 7/22/2014We were here on a quiet night and really enjoyed our dinner. Portion sizes were large! The ceviche and quinoa salad were delicious as were our trout and chicken dishes. And yum on the tres leches cake! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near Golden Gate ParkStanfordFanVIPDined on 7/17/2014We loved the mussels with sausage - large mussels, great taste!Special Features:
- CPAFoodieVIPDined on 7/8/2014The noise level depends on when you go. We went early so it was quieter - but by the time we left, it was energeticSpecial Features:
- Go for the CevicheebertANDernieDined on 6/29/2014Great place to find ceviche and Spanish/Latin fusion dishes. Go for brunch, and enjoy delicious benedicts and bottomless mimosas.Special Features:
- great brunch spotcecesfDined on 6/29/2014The marisco omelette was a seafood lover's dream! It was filled with shrimp, scallops and calamari and the sauce was creamy and very flavorful. Plus the addition of bottomless mimosas for $12 was affordable. BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always, wonderful!RobinDined on 6/15/2014We just love this place. We always have great service (shout out to Christopher!) and the food is just amazing. Plus we learned if you need to substitute (say you're on a no carb diet, for example), you can ask for veggies instead of rice and they'll accommodate you. love this place so so much!!Special Features:
- Delicioso!FogCitySharkVIPDined on 6/13/2014I've been here twice now and found the food very solid. Great selections of real Latin food. I am Colombian and a foodie Soo the fact that they had yucca frita and platanos asados along with a whole cooked fish - fried and crisp was pretty amazing. We were a group of 4 and there was easily something for everyone on the menu. Good service, nice sic, a little loud so they should put foam inserts on the underside of chairs to absorb the sound as there is no fabric anywhere else other than the napkins to absorb sound. Nice decor and a great place for a nice date - not a quiet date but a fun first date etc. I love this place and will bring out of town guests here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch & MimosasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2014Secret place for unlimited good Mimosas. The menu is a little limited for brunch. It has a few egg dishes but it is mainly a lunch menu and very specific to the cuisine.Special Features:
- JonathanDined on 6/2/2014Brought my girlfriend here for her birthday, the food was alright. We brought a cake in and they said they would not cut the cake for free.. $2 per slice. I guess its understandable that we're using their utensils but really? $2 per slice. I rather go somewhere else for a special event.
- Yummy fun restaurantAlleycatDined on 5/31/2014I have been here a few times and I have never been disappointed. I normally get the lomo saltado which is delicious. This time I got the chicken la gallina which was also very good. They have great cocktails and a decent wine list. Definitely a fun place to come with your friends or a good date night spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014I brought my mom for lunch before we went to the Botanical Gardens in GG Park. We thought the food was very good. The service was excellent. The background music was good but a little too loud. It's a very nice place to eat and close to the park. It was clean too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La PasionleelasrinDined on 5/11/2014Lively joint with helpful waitstaff. I especially enjoyed the ceviche, which was served in sashimi-style slices with bold accompanying flavors.The rest of the meal was good too - but I would go back for the ceviche specifically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Came here for a Mother's Day celebration dinner and the food was amazing. The only drawback was service, which was a little bit slower than hoped for, and likely due to understaffing, but otherwise an enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- chrisDined on 5/10/2014Food, service, setting were all good-to-very good.
- CPAFoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014I was a bit disappointed this time. The waiter was either distracted or the restaurant was understaffed Saturday night. Our entrees came WAY before we completed our first courses. The waiter barely apologized. The Cesar was made with the outer leaves of the Romaine making the leaves be very bitter. Also the salad plate was overfilled considered EVERY piece of lettuce had to be cut at least in half. it was almost impossible not to drop lettuce all over the table and/or floor. The lamb meatballs were excellent as always.Special Features:
- PasionBettyVIPDined on 5/9/2014Delicious food, very good service, however its extremely noisy. They need to fix the restaurant so people don't have to yell so loud to be heard. If you like a loud restaurant this one is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors GaloredavidwcDined on 5/9/2014My wife ordered the TRUCHA ENCEBOLLADA, I ordered the LA GALLINA. We shared with each other and we were so happy with our choices. The dishes were exquisite the textures, the seasonings. It was a festival of flavors in the mouth. For dessert we shared the Mango Cheesecake. Yum! Creamy, dressed with raspberry and mango reductions. This restaurant is in our Top 10 San Francisco restaurants.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceetrinhDined on 5/4/2014Went with friends for a Sunday brunch and it was great. Food didn't come out all at once for a party of six which annoyed me a tad but I can understand since the waitress was ready to take our orders in advance but we stalled since our party wasn't ready to order yet. Good food, weak mimosas though. Luckily I had a cocktail which was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasion in the sunst!sw1501Dined on 5/4/2014I initially chose Pasion because it was the only bottomless mimosa spot I could reserve for 8 people on a Sunday on 2 days notice. We were so pleasantly surprised! The food and service were impeccable and it was not an overly crowded hyped up location. I am definitely going back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014Really liked the seafood brochettes...great flavor. And the quinoa/veggie salad. Highly recommend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014For starters, the hostess was very accomodating to our arriving very early for our reserved time (I called ahead to warn her) and seated us right away. Service was excellent. And the food! The chef was very helpful about preparing items without onion, which my husband is allergic to. So we had the beet salad with feta cheese instead of goat, and an excellent "Julio Caesar" for starters. Our mains were duck breast with a jalapeno marmalade over cilantro rice, and scallops with a pea wasabi crust over squid ink risotto, both fantastic. The setting is attractive, with mirrors well placed for people watching. Noise level a bit much for my taste but for this quality of food I will cheerfully tolerate it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more for prices chargedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014No doubt, food is notable; congrats to the chef. Lived in the neighborhood a long time and it's nice to refer new places. However, for the price, service was adequate, but 2-star level. Minimal attention; we had to ask for water. Overall vibe was that they weren't concerned about seeing you again. Clientele in SF is often local; felt like a tourist place (but even many of those have some simpatico for guests). What makes a place special is a bit of neighborly-ness to me...even if I was just visiting SF. Ambience...okay, not very warm. Next time, if there is one, I'll just stick to bar bites during happy hour.Special Features:
- Beautiful, surprising, memorablePeterarchDined on 4/21/2014The food has been excellent here each time I have visited. This time between the four of us we had duck breast, a seafood pasta (with a sea urchin sauce that was intense yet subtle) and seared scallops. Everything was cooked perfectly, and the fusion between European and South American, between traditional and new, was exciting and effective. All four of us decided that out of all the dishes the ceviche (four different ceviches on one plate) was the most outstanding. Dessert was excellent, the chef clearly talented. I am already looking forward to finding a reason for my next visit. Or, if it is lunch, just calling in.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchPasionbrunchDined on 4/20/2014It was nice walking in on Easter. It was originally very quiet. Our server was very helpful. The omelet was tasty, and the coffee was great. The noise level got very loud, making us want to leave, so I suggest you arrive earlier in the morning if you want a peaceful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.