Pasion - SF
737 Irving St
San Francisco, CA 94122Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pasion - SF
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pasionsf.com/
- Phone: 4157425727
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM,
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM,
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sunday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Jose Calvo-Perez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Review menu options on Restaurants Web site
A word from Pasion - SF
Welcome to Pasion, the Nuevo Latino restaurant from owner and executive chef Jose Calvo-Perez. Pasion brings a taste of the Latino Carribean, South and Central America to the Inner Sunset District of San Francisco, combining excitement and energy of Latin American cuisine and décor with a modern, urban flavor. ¡Buen Provecho!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pasion - SF reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (23)great for brunch (22)special occasion (19)great for lunch (10)romantic (8)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- salty!nomnomnomDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten here before many times and often frequent fresca (which is owned by the same people and very similar)...the atmosphere was off this time..it was more noisy than usual but we can deal with the extra noise. The real problem came when we got our food- it was super salty. Maybe there was some kitchen miscommunication over seasoning or a new chef, but both our meals were super over seasoned. I just had the same dish at fresca a week before which was great, so it wasnt the recipe or anything...disappointed :(
- $1 oysters Monday happy hourFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I mainly went here for the $1 oysters Monday happy hour. A few of the oysters were extremely small, like scraps. Even though, it's considered cheap for $1, they should not give the extremely small and bad quality ones to customers.
- inventive menuesfdinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014wonderful Spanish / Peruvian menu, always well prepared and fresh. Ceviche is particularly good, as is paellaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!MsueDined on 7/22/2014We were here on a quiet night and really enjoyed our dinner. Portion sizes were large! The ceviche and quinoa salad were delicious as were our trout and chicken dishes. And yum on the tres leches cake! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find near Golden Gate ParkStanfordFanVIPDined on 7/17/2014We loved the mussels with sausage - large mussels, great taste!Special Features:
- CPAFoodieVIPDined on 7/8/2014The noise level depends on when you go. We went early so it was quieter - but by the time we left, it was energeticSpecial Features:
- Go for the CevicheebertANDernieDined on 6/29/2014Great place to find ceviche and Spanish/Latin fusion dishes. Go for brunch, and enjoy delicious benedicts and bottomless mimosas.Special Features:
- great brunch spotcecesfDined on 6/29/2014The marisco omelette was a seafood lover's dream! It was filled with shrimp, scallops and calamari and the sauce was creamy and very flavorful. Plus the addition of bottomless mimosas for $12 was affordable. BSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always, wonderful!RobinDined on 6/15/2014We just love this place. We always have great service (shout out to Christopher!) and the food is just amazing. Plus we learned if you need to substitute (say you're on a no carb diet, for example), you can ask for veggies instead of rice and they'll accommodate you. love this place so so much!!Special Features:
- Delicioso!FogCitySharkDined on 6/13/2014I've been here twice now and found the food very solid. Great selections of real Latin food. I am Colombian and a foodie Soo the fact that they had yucca frita and platanos asados along with a whole cooked fish - fried and crisp was pretty amazing. We were a group of 4 and there was easily something for everyone on the menu. Good service, nice sic, a little loud so they should put foam inserts on the underside of chairs to absorb the sound as there is no fabric anywhere else other than the napkins to absorb sound. Nice decor and a great place for a nice date - not a quiet date but a fun first date etc. I love this place and will bring out of town guests here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch & MimosasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2014Secret place for unlimited good Mimosas. The menu is a little limited for brunch. It has a few egg dishes but it is mainly a lunch menu and very specific to the cuisine.Special Features:
- JonathanDined on 6/2/2014Brought my girlfriend here for her birthday, the food was alright. We brought a cake in and they said they would not cut the cake for free.. $2 per slice. I guess its understandable that we're using their utensils but really? $2 per slice. I rather go somewhere else for a special event.
- Yummy fun restaurantAlleycatDined on 5/31/2014I have been here a few times and I have never been disappointed. I normally get the lomo saltado which is delicious. This time I got the chicken la gallina which was also very good. They have great cocktails and a decent wine list. Definitely a fun place to come with your friends or a good date night spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014I brought my mom for lunch before we went to the Botanical Gardens in GG Park. We thought the food was very good. The service was excellent. The background music was good but a little too loud. It's a very nice place to eat and close to the park. It was clean too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La PasionleelasrinDined on 5/11/2014Lively joint with helpful waitstaff. I especially enjoyed the ceviche, which was served in sashimi-style slices with bold accompanying flavors.The rest of the meal was good too - but I would go back for the ceviche specifically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2014Came here for a Mother's Day celebration dinner and the food was amazing. The only drawback was service, which was a little bit slower than hoped for, and likely due to understaffing, but otherwise an enjoyable experience!Special Features:
- chrisDined on 5/10/2014Food, service, setting were all good-to-very good.
- CPAFoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014I was a bit disappointed this time. The waiter was either distracted or the restaurant was understaffed Saturday night. Our entrees came WAY before we completed our first courses. The waiter barely apologized. The Cesar was made with the outer leaves of the Romaine making the leaves be very bitter. Also the salad plate was overfilled considered EVERY piece of lettuce had to be cut at least in half. it was almost impossible not to drop lettuce all over the table and/or floor. The lamb meatballs were excellent as always.Special Features:
- PasionBettyVIPDined on 5/9/2014Delicious food, very good service, however its extremely noisy. They need to fix the restaurant so people don't have to yell so loud to be heard. If you like a loud restaurant this one is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors GaloredavidwcDined on 5/9/2014My wife ordered the TRUCHA ENCEBOLLADA, I ordered the LA GALLINA. We shared with each other and we were so happy with our choices. The dishes were exquisite the textures, the seasonings. It was a festival of flavors in the mouth. For dessert we shared the Mango Cheesecake. Yum! Creamy, dressed with raspberry and mango reductions. This restaurant is in our Top 10 San Francisco restaurants.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceetrinhDined on 5/4/2014Went with friends for a Sunday brunch and it was great. Food didn't come out all at once for a party of six which annoyed me a tad but I can understand since the waitress was ready to take our orders in advance but we stalled since our party wasn't ready to order yet. Good food, weak mimosas though. Luckily I had a cocktail which was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasion in the sunst!sw1501Dined on 5/4/2014I initially chose Pasion because it was the only bottomless mimosa spot I could reserve for 8 people on a Sunday on 2 days notice. We were so pleasantly surprised! The food and service were impeccable and it was not an overly crowded hyped up location. I am definitely going back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014Really liked the seafood brochettes...great flavor. And the quinoa/veggie salad. Highly recommend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2014For starters, the hostess was very accomodating to our arriving very early for our reserved time (I called ahead to warn her) and seated us right away. Service was excellent. And the food! The chef was very helpful about preparing items without onion, which my husband is allergic to. So we had the beet salad with feta cheese instead of goat, and an excellent "Julio Caesar" for starters. Our mains were duck breast with a jalapeno marmalade over cilantro rice, and scallops with a pea wasabi crust over squid ink risotto, both fantastic. The setting is attractive, with mirrors well placed for people watching. Noise level a bit much for my taste but for this quality of food I will cheerfully tolerate it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected more for prices chargedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014No doubt, food is notable; congrats to the chef. Lived in the neighborhood a long time and it's nice to refer new places. However, for the price, service was adequate, but 2-star level. Minimal attention; we had to ask for water. Overall vibe was that they weren't concerned about seeing you again. Clientele in SF is often local; felt like a tourist place (but even many of those have some simpatico for guests). What makes a place special is a bit of neighborly-ness to me...even if I was just visiting SF. Ambience...okay, not very warm. Next time, if there is one, I'll just stick to bar bites during happy hour.Special Features:
- The following 468 reviews are from the Pasion - SF reviews archive.
- Beautiful, surprising, memorablePeterarchDined on 4/21/2014The food has been excellent here each time I have visited. This time between the four of us we had duck breast, a seafood pasta (with a sea urchin sauce that was intense yet subtle) and seared scallops. Everything was cooked perfectly, and the fusion between European and South American, between traditional and new, was exciting and effective. All four of us decided that out of all the dishes the ceviche (four different ceviches on one plate) was the most outstanding. Dessert was excellent, the chef clearly talented. I am already looking forward to finding a reason for my next visit. Or, if it is lunch, just calling in.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchPasionbrunchDined on 4/20/2014It was nice walking in on Easter. It was originally very quiet. Our server was very helpful. The omelet was tasty, and the coffee was great. The noise level got very loud, making us want to leave, so I suggest you arrive earlier in the morning if you want a peaceful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/12/2014The food was wonderful, especially the Duck Empanadas and the Chicha Morada Creme Brulee !Special Features:
- Needs workmagpieDined on 4/10/2014Hostess not very friendly. Ceviche was great. Plaintain chips were recommended by the server as a complement and indeed they did. That was the most successful part of the meal. The duck empanadas, as well as the main dishes were only so-so. My chicken dish was definitely on the salty side. Service was average also.
- A cut or two above Limon and FrescaanonVIPDined on 4/10/2014Great menu with more variety- hard to decide- all sounded great. Cocktails delicious also. Ample but manageable portions. Perfect lamb chops. Great dining experience and will need to go back many times to try everything. Impressive.Special Features:
- Not bad but expected moreKeithredDined on 3/28/2014Friday lunch but restaurant was empty at 12:30 pm. Food good but not delicious. Servers were indifferent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I LOVE Passion!FogCitySharkDined on 3/22/2014Fantastic food and fantastic service! FINALLY a latin place on this side of town - I would bring my Colombian and Costa Rican family here for delicious typical Latin food. Simply wonderful - it's mostly Peruvian but so many of these dishes are typical in most of Latin America - the tostones were delicious but were more actually like a tajada as the plantain was yellow - tostones uses a green plantain and you can tell because of the sweetness. I had the whole fish with seafood stew and I ate it slowly because It was so tasty - a little spicy but amazing - we also had the duck empanadas which were fantastic and my husband had the lomo saltado which he really liked. I would recommend anyone to this this place - only minus.. loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can you say ceviche!!!!SFfoodieDined on 3/21/2014Luv the vibe of Pasion. Apps, entrees, desserts and drinks... My go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nuevo Pan-LatinfoodieVIPDined on 3/20/2014Not quite fine dining but upscale casual décor and menu preparing traditional and personalized modern interpretations of Peruvian and Pan-Latin cuisine. The ceviches are a must with so many fresh seafood options. Albondigas and duck empanadas are excellent. Churrasco and loma saltado are wonderful from the grill. Any of the fish or seafood options are fresh and very well prepared. You can't go wrong with rotisserie chicken with whole or half options either. A full bar features Peruvian cocktails including an excellent Pisco Sour. Short but sweet beer list including Peruvian selections. Wine list emphasizes Iberia and Latin America and pairs well with the food. Desserts are creative especially purple corn crème brulee. Happy to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/20/2014Great selection of ceviche and small plates. Always a good choice for lunch or dinner. It is very noisy however, and holding a conversation becomes a challenge most of the time.Special Features:
- Good food, Slow serviceFoodieDined on 3/12/2014Food is amazing! Very different from other restaurants. Only complaint is that I've been there a few times now and the service is always slow. Servers don't seem to care about the customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food!!chompchompDined on 3/9/2014Never fails each time we go the food is excellent; however, when My main dish came out, the plate and food was cold A quick return to kitchen , few minutes later, all was good I try to pick something new each time. I believe the menu changes periodically Great "go to" of course LOMO SALTADO it's freaking spot on. I have to mention the ceviche.... So so good and fresh You can no longer order trio of samples to try , it's only the four sampler and with the four you can no longer choose the four You want- it's chosen for you. Still great .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would very much recommendIsabel415VIPDined on 3/5/2014I would very much recommend this restaurant. We (5) all enjoyed our meal. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation mix uplalaVIPDined on 2/28/2014The restaurant called me four times to confirm numerous reservations. The first time I change the time, the second time they canceled it and move me to a new & the third time The day before and day of, confirming the correct one. I think it was but much but was glad to be able to ask for a special Seat. I asked if they could seat me at the window and when I got there I sat in which was called "the window area" but not in front of the window which was disappointing!Special Features:
- Better than in PeruOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2014Savory food and tasty cocktails! I traveled in Peru many years ago, albeit on a budget. The food was not good...in fact it was bad. We ate Chinese whenever we had the opportunity. The food at Pasion is great! Try the stuffed peppers appetizer and pork chop....and the pisco sours (we especially liked the ginger and passion fruit sours). The desserts are not the high point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.