301 E. 6th Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.parkside-austin.com/
- Phone: 5124749898x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Cirkiel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our 2nd floor event space features a beautiful dining area, private bar, and outdoor patio overlooking 6th street. Perfect for any occasion you are looking to plan in the heart of downtown Austin.
- Private Party Contact: Allison Gueli 5124749898x
- Special Events: Daily happy hour from 5:00-6:30pm features 1/2 price bar menu and all beer and liquor. Available in the entire restaurant 7 days a week.
A word from Parkside
Parkside, a gastro pub in Austin’s lively downtown area is home to chef/owner Shawn Cirkiel. Located directly on Sixth Street it offers a casual venue for his unpretentious, but bold take on New American Cuisine. Offerings include a sumptuous raw bar—which often carries as many as 16 varieties of oysters. While the menu changes seasonally—even daily--diners can enjoy both dramatic dishes like seared scallops with butternut puree, jalapeno, and lime or comfort basics such as a cheeseburger or fried egg sandwich.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Parkside - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Parkside reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)special occasion (75)hot spot (56)romantic (50)good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (37)vibrant bar scene (32)late-night find (23)notable wine list (20)scenic view (9)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014The food was amazing, along with great service! Our server, Trip, was on top of everything, made our night enjoyable.Special Features:
- Downtown treasureNattieBDined on 8/30/2014Ideal place for a variety of occasions. Decor is casual enough for a busy couple's overdue date night get away but chic and classy enough for a bridal party or business dinner. Fabulous menu with just enough creative variety, from simple to exotic, to satisfy any discretionary foodie. I chose the Salmon and my date ordered the bison; both were prepared to perfection!! The view of sixth street sets a nice tone reminiscent of a scene from a Hepburn or Bogart movie. Be sure to make a reservation, this hot spot is tough to get into without one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Austin Visit - Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Took some friends on their first trip to Austin, and wanted to celebrate a birthday with a great meal. Found this spot online with some great reviews of the food and ambiance, and was not disappointed. Great raw bar, cocktails, and main entrees. The scallops are incredible, but was not disappointed by any of the other items. Would definitely return on my next trip to Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take it to the Next LevelhappytravellerVIPDined on 8/28/2014wine glasses and silverware spotted... between courses table needed to be wiped...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business guestsfunfoodieDined on 8/27/2014I had to organize a dinner for 16 out-of-town business guests - 5 of whom did not speak English, and several with food allergies. We made reservations in advance easily, and had great service on the spot. At no point did it feel like a chore for the restaurant to serve such a large group. The food was great, the drinks were great, and they even accommodated little things (like when one guest asked to send another the "girliest drink on the menu"). Dinner impressed everyone!Special Features:
- Great food - don't split a plateATXaggieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Parkside has been a easy go-to spot for years with unique food and exciting combinations of flavors. The menu did not disappoint this time as we tried grilled lamb and scallops and a nice (albeit small for $9) kale salad along with wine and drinks. The kicker: my date and I ordered the salad to share and the lamb entree to split. The waitress asked if we'd like them to split the plate in the kitchen and we thought, "sure!". Well, split they did with a nice un-mentioned $2 fee. Maybe $2 seems negligible to the restaurant and some patrons, but to me, it was a cheap shot and a low blow at an already pricey place.
- excellent but....JupieVIPDined on 8/24/2014Food & service was excellent but few choices on menu & wine list made the experience slightly disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over salted inconsistent dishes.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Over salted inconsistent dishes. 4 small scallops on scallop plateI would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!smb2287Dined on 8/23/2014I have always been a fan of Parkside, but it's been a while since I've been for dinner. I was so happy that the food was just as good, if not better than I remembered! The oysters were amazing, as they usually are. The fried okra was hard to stop eating so that I could save room for my entree. As for my main dish, I ordered the scallops with creamed corn and I licked my plate clean. The ambiance is energetic, yet quiet enough so that you can have a conversation with others at the table. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone in the Austin area or to those who are visiting.Special Features:
- Plain Food Bad TableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The table where we were seated is probably the only bad seat in the house, so my review is probably not characteristic of the restaurant overall. But there is one table by the waitress station that probably shouldn't be used. It's a bad spot and put a damper on the experience. I felt that the food was kind of plain, and just okay for the caliber of restaurant the menu prices suggest. It was difficult to hear our server, and we ended up ordering the wrong thing as a result of not being able to hear the description of a special properly. So overall, I don't think I'd go back.
- Been there beforeausitneatsDined on 8/8/2014I think this restaurant would be more appreciated if it was not directly in the middle of sixth street. It may get more business this way - but not the kind of business it wants.Special Features:
- Great placeHoustonCoupleDined on 8/8/2014Outstanding food, great service, even crowded and busy everything ran like a perfect operation. Will go again next time we're in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot on 6th!biztainerVIPDined on 8/8/2014Been wanting to go here for sometime. Been to their other restaurants which have all been great and this one did not disappoint my party at all. Great oysters and apps. We ordered several entrees but had them served family style so we all got to try a variety of dishes. Everyone enjoyed the food, cocktails and some white wine with our meal. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show spot + Wednesday DealTisloveDined on 8/6/2014A perfect spot to dine before a show, especially on Wednesdays where they have a deal of half off oysters and half off champagne. Love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We came in late for dinner and everything from arrival to departure was fantastic. Our table was ready and we were seated right away. The server was excellent and helpful. The food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Good foodNotperfectDined on 8/1/2014It was a really good experience but here are some feedbacks. We had a reservation for 8:15 pm for 2 adult and one kid and we got there at 8:05, we had to wait till 8:40 with our small one. It is not kids friendly!!! And they dont care if you have a kid or not. The menu does not have any kids food!!! The food portions are really small and french fries was too salty that we could not eat.Special Features:
- Good for a special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014We came here for our 7th anniversary and our expectations were actually exceeded. The hostess was immediately attentive and friendly and kept us informed as our table was prepared. We were seated ahead of our reservation, which we didn't expect. Our waiter Trip was friendly knowledgeable and balanced in his attention to us. The top notch. Hearty but well balanced and well presented. The pork jowl was a revelation while the sea scallops in cream corn were perfectly seared and done. Their cocktails are worth the trip alone. Specialities and Parkside updates of some standbys like the Old Fashioned, Pimms Cup and the Moscow Mule. Very well done. We we surpised with a complimentary glass of champagne and desert for two. Excellent!Special Features:
- Large GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014We had a large group for an early dinner. Drinks were wonderful, food was awesome and the service was spectacular!Special Features:
- Everything good except the steakRegularPatronDined on 7/26/2014Food was good not great. Steak was ordered by 2 people at table, and both were over-cooked, and bland. Those who ordered the scallops, salmon and lamb were happy. Music was too loud to hear people talk across the table... so be prepared to shout.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I <3 ParksidesnackademicsDined on 7/26/2014All the food's great, and Happy Hour on a Saturday rules!Special Features:
- Dinner and a show made easyDatenightbelieverDined on 7/25/2014We had tickets for 8:30 show on 6th street, and I admit location for the restaurant was one of the reasons we chose it. I wanted to try some oysters and they have a great food safety record so I wasn't afraid to take the plunge. My husband had a great piece of cow and is still raving about their mac & cheese side. It was a great date restaurant but sit on the same side of the table if you want to actually have a conversation. The wait staff was great, the manager (I assume its him talking to the waitstaff) frowned a lot and didn't look happy to be there but was only a very minor distraction. Good, safe food, great service and location made this a good pickSpecial Features:
- Great night outMissGGDined on 7/19/2014We took friends from out of town here for dinner. We were initially hesitant of the restaurant's location on 6th Street but ended up being super fun. Food was delicious, although a little overpriced, and restaurant had a nice vibe. We were pleased to have an upscale dining experience in an area of E 6th that needs "polishing". Great people watching too. Saw a topless lady walking by outside. Only in Austin!Special Features:
- Ridiculously loud, some great foodjust2or4Dined on 7/19/2014We took a special client here for dinner on a Saturday night. Client seemed thrilled with the menu choices, finding it hard to choose, ultimately selected oysters (smaller than expected), steak tartar (reportedly excellent, surprising with the egg yolk on top), & scallops. Shrimp remoulade lacked flavor, tiny portion (3 shrimp on teeny beds of breadcrumbs). Scallops & chicken - delicious flavor combinations, chocolate cherry doughnuts - fun & tasty. But the extreme noise level almost ruined the whole experience! There were large group tables placed in the middle, each holding 15-20 young women, all shouting. At our booth we could hardly hear each other so we could not have an easy conversation. We felt relieved to get out of there!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quirky eleganceMytexasfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Parkside is located in the super seedy, trashy part of Austin. After you've trudged thru the filth of 6th Street you open the door to the restaurant and you just forget all about it. Its a beautiful place. The drinks were awesome - I had an Elder Smokey - and the food was some of the best I've ever had. Don't let the location scare you, it's very worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday DinnerInga2UDined on 7/18/2014Many downtown restaurants refuse reservations or are booked days in advance . I made our Parkside reservation easily online and noted that we were newbies celebrating 2 birthdays. When we arrived the hostess greeted us warmly and had reserved a spot by the window - perfect for watching the parade of Friday night 6th street. Our foodie friend was able to order bolder menu choices while the less adventurous had perfect comfort foods like gnocchi and fritters. Everything was fresh, rich flavors and hot. The only food complaints were 2 steaks were ordered medium rare. One was perfect, one came well done. My risotto was so popular they should offer side portions. It's perfect with the steak! We'll definitely return for the bar menu next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mediocre portionsRedsDined on 7/18/2014Calamari was great. Nice and tender and fried well. I ordered the scallops which were pretty small, although tasty. My husband ordered the risotto. It had no protein (just a veggie flavor and shallots). Portion was small and pricey at $19 for no protein. My husband ordered shrimp as an add on and the shrimp were salad shrimp...sad...for an additional $10. Nice concept but a little more work on the size of the shrimp and scallops for the price and fanciness of the restaurant. They did have note of our anniversary and gave us a free glass of champagne which was nice.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerhappycoupleDined on 7/11/2014We chose Parkside for our anniversary dinner. Perfect pick! The staff was attentive and helpful and fun! The food was amazing. The bass from the raw bar was excellent-- we wanted 5 more! Thank you Parkside for making our night specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VOD1Dined on 7/9/2014Food was very creative and tasty. Unfortunately the waiter ruined the experience. He seemed burdened that we were there, not helpful and super unfriendly.
- Rabbit was gone still five starsnickatniteatxDined on 7/5/2014Went to get rabbit but was off the menu. Steak tartare was a nice alternative though and service seems to have improved since last visit...my waiter was attentive and friendly. Awesome sixth street place to gawk at people as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another hit for Shawn CirkieljoeypeaDined on 7/5/2014I came here with a party of 6 for a birthday dinner. We were seated, greeted immediately, and told that we made it right before happy hour was up. Drinks were inventive (aviation, strawberry sunshine, new old fashioned), and the apps delicious (classic ceviche, marrow bones, oyster platter). It was a nice bonus to nab those at reduced prices. Dinner made its way over, and everyone was pretty happy. I'm told that the cheeseburger (bar menu) is the best one in Austin. Others ordered scallops and creamed corn, pork jowl, leg of lamb, and tuna steak. For sides we got macaroni and cheese, asparagus, and Parkside fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High HopesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014We had been referred to Parkside from our hotel concierge. Restaurant was nice & the service couldn't have been better. We started with cocktails & oysters. They were delicious! We had some another night at Perlas--we both agreed these were better). My boyfriend ordered the lamb & I ordered the tuna (waiter highly recommended). Lamb was okay; not awful but not noteworthy. I ordered my tuna medium rare. It was delivered so cooked that I thought they had brought me chicken instead. I can't remember the last time I've ever sent food back but I couldn't eat it. The waiter was very kind & took it back. The manager came by to see hoew things were going. They brought me a second plate which was a bit better but still way overcooked.
- Great food, cool spot.TonyjenDined on 7/3/2014Awesome service. Great food. The dessert blackberry and brie was mindblowing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice but short of greatpeckishDined on 7/3/2014Had shrimp remoulade starter which was nice enough if a little bland. Main course was the leg of lamb, good taste but out of the 4 slices 2 were quite tough and one had quite a bit of gristly material, the other two were tender. Had requested asparagus instead of fennel and not only was the asparagus very nicely seasoned and grilled but it also was an extremely generous portion. Really enjoyed decor and ambiance, overally liked my dining experience but maybe just a little on the high side pricewise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantFoodJoy803Dined on 7/2/2014From the ambiance to the food, to the waitstaff, our experience was awesome! Great appetizers and dishes to share for a group of girls. We loved our server, as he was very attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersAzottVIPDined on 6/30/2014A very good selection of oysters and raw fish for a hot summer day but don't pass up the crab fritters. The menu has a good variety of choices if oysters aren't your thing. Decent wine list and good drinks from the bar. They have valet so you don't have to hassle with parking.
- Lively spot in the heart of AustinmoscowmuleDined on 6/28/2014We were celebrating our sixth anniversary and decided to push the boat out. This place has a great buzz about it but its not exactly the spot for a romantic dinner. The cocktails were great, and so was the food in general apart from the lamb main course which was tough and dry. Overall a good experience and at $150 for dinner for two, we'll have to wait for another six years to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- average at bestHoustonFoodCriticDined on 6/28/2014With such a limited menu, I would have thought they had perfected the items on it. The service was good, the ambience was good, but this restaurant is nothing special.
- Outstanding serveranninaustinDined on 6/27/2014Marlene was our server, and she was one of the best I have ever had. She was stealthy, thorough, we never had a moment where we were waiting for her, yet she never hovered. That's a hard job, and she is a zen master. Our party of 7 included 3 older kids, and they were all happy with her suggestions and attention. She really elevated an already good experience. On the food, the crab fritters were piping hot, rich and perfect. My spring chicken was steaming hot, tender, and well seasoned. My daughter's bar steak was perfect for her - a small filet, extremely tender yet stil well done to her request. The goat cheesecake was superlative. It was an excellent meal we will happily recall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014Excellent food and portion sizes. The food presentation was beautiful. Very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters and seatingLiCoDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I split a half-dozen oysters. They were from British Columbia. I should have sent them back as they were no larger than a nickel in diameter, some as small as a dime. How they ever got out of the kitchen is puzzling. On a more positive note, we were initially going to be seated in a booth that was built around a column. As such, one side has very little clearance for whomever sits on that side. It needs to be reconstructed as only children or Mr. Bill could slide in comfortably. We were moved on request, although the first person I asked tried to argue that both sides of the booth had even clearance. They did not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.