884 Portola Road A-1
Portola Valley, CA 94028Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://parksidegrille.com/
- Phone: (650) 529-9007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Yanni Sarakosta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering private dinners.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two Private Rooms which can accommodate up to 55 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Petkopoulos 650-529-9007
- Entertainment: Seasonal Live Music.
A word from Parkside Grille
Rustic Elegance In Beautiful Portola Valley. Nestled Among Towering Redwoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Parkside Grille - Best Restaurants in Portola Valley ›
Parkside Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)great for outdoor dining (59)special occasion (43)fit for foodies (38)romantic (28)great for lunch (28)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (21)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (17)notable wine list (14)hot spot (7)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Really nice spot in the redwoodsCarloLDined on 11/15/2014The Parkside Cafe is a very nice local venue in Portola Valley which offers a very friendly and welcoming environment with great service, excellent food preparation, and an interesting wine list. Highly recommend a visit to this slightly off the path quality establishment amongst the redwoods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GAC1Dined on 11/14/2014As always, the Parkside Grille was very good. They have a very diverse menu and the food is always well prepared. Only thing is that we were sat in the new room behind the bar. At first, next to the fireplace which was too hot. Upon being moved, another couple commented on the same thing. After being relocated, while not at all bad, I would not characterize the table as "in the flow." As a result, our service probably suffered a tad, hence the slightly less favorable rating. All this said, I will and look forward to returning to the PSG soon. It is a very good (perhaps the best) restaurant in the mid-peninsula.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentHankDined on 11/14/2014Always good food, good service, and nice ambiance, particularly when able to get a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but....lunchtimeVIPDined on 11/8/2014I think this place has a lot of things right -- location, setting, service. But the food was spotty - one of us had fish (overcooked) and one had chicken which was great. For the prices, they need to get it right. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly.
- An enjoyable mealamheyDined on 10/26/2014Enjoyed the fish with couscous. Coffee kept us awake - 2 cups of decaff.Special Features:
- Great PV Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014The Parkside Grille isn't fancy, but it's pleasant, comfortable and friendly, has good vibes and the food is reliably good if not particularly creative. In addition, Parkside Grille is in a beautiful, semi-rural location surrounded by redwood trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in the RedwoodsCorkyKDined on 10/22/2014Great neighborhood restaurant in the Redwoods with a fine mixed menu and wine list served from an upbeat open kitchen with a brick oven. A small bar provides a before and after dinner retreat to watch sports or to chat with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good but room to improve...JillVIPDined on 10/20/2014This is my third time at Parkside so I do keep coming back. The appetizers are reliable and delicious. The risotto perfectly prepared but the beef dishes are uninspired. Neither the short ribs nor the New York Steak lived up to their potential. The chef needs to rethink his preparation - the steak, in addition to lacking flavor, was tough and the short ribs failed on flavor and presentation.Special Features:
- Great Food - Service is RapidJillVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was my second visit to Parkside Grill and both times - the food was outstanding. The risotto was perfectly cooked - crunchy and flavorful as it should be - the lamb - superb and the beef ribs...well done indeed. Given the lovely ambiance and the consistent high quality of food and drink - I think the wait staff should slow the pace a bit. Both visits were punctuated by a rapid fire serving. The food is so good it is worthy eating it slowly.Special Features:
- Overpriced food indifferent waiterWinenutDined on 10/10/2014Recent cauliflower soup excellent. A very small cup no price listed. Very loud on busy Friday and Saturday nights. Especially when football game playing on 2 screen in bar. Owner and bartender making as much noise as customers. Waiter didn't wait for customer sit, or glance at menu before asking what we wanted. Soggy spinach salad overdressed with four pieces of potatoes and 4 scallops. They charge $19 for that. Wines by the glass not that great $12-$14.Special Features:
- DandCDined on 10/8/2014Beautifully done restaurant located in the tall redwoods of Portola Valley. A real locals place with great energy and excellent food. Waitstaff and bartenders are engaging and service is excellent. My 'go-to' place for an important date - great menu with broad choices, many of which are as good of food as you can find. Terrific wines as well. I often see large groups in there (8 - 10 folks; especially when I eat at the bar) and invariably they seem to be having a wonderful time. Outside dining - spring, summer, fall - is excellent, often with music on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redwood relaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/8/2014Such a pleasure to be welcomed and fed under the redwoods.Special Features:
- Disappointing SoleFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have enjoyed several meals at the Parkside Grill in recent years so they may be entitled on one flub. We were a group of six adults for a family birthday dinner. Each person typically had a starter, main course, and desert. Five of use had the special sole entree. Mine was over cooked to the point of mushiness. The other soles looked similar to mine, but no one else complained so maybe the others were OK. The salad and desert were fine.There is a fair selection of wines, but no red below mid thirties, and steeply up from there. The tab not including wine averaged in low fifties per person, not exactly a high value meal.Special Features:
- Disappointing...again.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/25/2014Have dined here a few times a year for many years. Good food but recently, service has gone waaay downhill and it's just not worth it anymore. Waited almost 10 min for waiter to come by on a not-busy weeknight, then another 10 min for a simple glass of wine...all from an uninspiring (and apparently uninspired) server. Incredibly noisy, too...again, on a slow night.mmthe acoustics are awful and nothing to absorb the sound. Although we're locals and want to support solid local proprietors, we really won't be back after this incredibly disappointing episode...again. Good luck, Parkside Grille...Hope the bar crowd and private dinners pay the rent.
- friendly waiter, 6pm 9/23skyjaneDined on 9/23/2014Waiter was really friendly and provided the right balance of attention and space to converse. Pasta papardelle special was terrific; spinach dinner salad was way overly oily with slightly off-tasting scallops.Special Features:
- Great, Tasty MealTresdudesVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The appetizers, entrees and the desserts were very flavorful and delicious.
- Tried to like it but it was a failmattyWDined on 9/20/2014We have been here before for a variety of occasions with others and chose it for our anniversary dinner, just the two of us. In he past we had considered it a bit over-priced and under-powered for the quality of food and the service, but it is one of the more highly praised restaurants in the area and we figured we were too picky or the local clientele had lower expectations and a higher budget. We had made reservations on OpenTable and had sent a special notice that this was a milestone anniversary. The house was chaotic, understaffed, the kitchen was a disaster, the food undercooked in one instance, and cold in the other. Bartender was an idiot, and the waiter did not know anything about the food or specials. Big fat fail.
- Nice local placeNotforeveryoneDined on 9/19/2014Great place for local dining if you don't want to drive to El Camino. Not the best but well worth it considering it's location. Always good.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedAloha1Dined on 9/19/2014I have been a local customer for years and always take friends to have either lunch or dinner at Parkside Grille. The service has gotten spotty. Water glasses and drinks were not refreshed, plates not removed in a timely way, I couldn't find a waiter to ask for our check and when the check finally came I had to get up to take it to the waiter. Maybe some staff people were missing- I don't know. The food was as good as ever but not the service.Special Features:
- Gem of a Restaurant!twlamaDined on 9/19/2014Took a colleague to lunch here last week and we decided to dine outside. We chose a table between two giant sequoias, each at least 400 years old. This is a beautiful area right on Portola valley road. There are several shops in this small shopping area, two of which are related to horses. The food at Parkside Grille is the real reason to come here; truly top notch fare with exciting choises in three areas: salads, sandwiches and entrees. You can check a sample menu online. My friend had the spinach salad with grilled scallops and i had the endive salad, also with grilled scallops. AMAZING. Delightful additions to the salads: his had roasted potato quarters, mine had pecans, dried cranberries and chunk of blu cheese. Quality/price 3 to 1!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kayskornerkayskornerVIPDined on 9/19/2014Fabulous setting and consistently GREAT food. The wait staff and "chief Engineer", Adolfo, add to the charm and warmth of dining under the Redwoods. The spinach salad with seared scallops should not be missed and the warm chocolate cake with berries is the perfect way to end the meal....heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerml1621Dined on 9/12/2014We had a very nice dinner. We were celebrating two birthdays -- which I indicated on my OpenTable reservation; however, no one at the restaurant was aware of this .. hmmmm ... doesn't seem like good communication in our internet age. The food was good, service was good, wine list was a gem.Special Features:
- not likely to return anytime soonMarjorieVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is loud,,so loud we asked to be moved. Could not, since all other tables were booked. This is the only place to dine for miles so it is full on the weekends and most nights. Always try for a booth where the sound is subdued.Special Features:
- Always a treatMypinkblessingDined on 9/6/2014This was the first time we brought our kids and they also enjoyed the food. Service is great. We are outdoors so it was quiet, relaxing and you almost felt as though you were somewhere else on vacation looking up at the RedwoodsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Evening DinnerCorkyKDined on 8/29/2014Fine food, good service, but on the noisy side due to accoustic reflective environment inside. Outside dinning better for serious converstation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty spot in the PVBeautieFOodieDined on 8/25/2014I have been passing this place for years on my mountain bike-rides or on my way to Windy Hill and finally got the opportunity to give it a try! Great ambiance- I love how the kitchen is open and the chef's are looking out on their guests! The hostess was unfriendly which was unpleasant to walk in on. Another woman (maybe part owner it seemed), also unfriendly, walked us to our table which was way in the back corner of the restaurant and we even had reservations! At least the chef was friendly and our waiter, they checked up on us and were very interested in how we liked our food. The food was excellent and their friendliness is what saved the review from a negative rant on the poor introduction.Special Features:
- OkayZwinDined on 8/24/2014The mussels used to be ravishing - not anymore. I miss the large green mussels in succulent curry. The 4 shrimps with a arugula and lemon "fondue" basically was a Rabbitnesque take - a big mount of arugula with a bit of lemon sauce and 4 shrimps. The noise level makes it difficult to carry a normal conversation. I wish they would do some acoustic treatment on the ceiling A convenient local spot when you do not want to cook or dress up.
- DisappointedRedsfavoritemomDined on 8/23/2014Only go to this restaurant if you live in the neighborhood and want to visit very LOUDLY with friends. We've been to Parkside several times, the last two dinners, the food was fine but the ambiance was horrible. People just talk to loudly. We'll probably never go again.Special Features:
- Two very different experiences.altakockerDined on 8/23/2014Parkside Grill is a wonderful restaurant in the heart of Portola Valley. Eating outside under the redwoods could not be nicer. The food is quite good, but the ambience is superb, made especially so by the quiet and melodic guitar/vocal music that is kept discretely in the background allowing for good conversation without having to shout. That said, indoors is nothing special. Very noisy and hard to be heard, no real ambience, no guitar. And outdoor seating is on a first come first served basis. Although the food is quite good, this is not a restaurant (in an area replete with great restaurants) I would seek out if I could not sit outdoors.Special Features:
- fun and yumGeorgeVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a very nice leisurely lunch and good meal. The food was especially nice and the presentation was lovely.Special Features:
- Nice pick!out2eatDined on 8/15/2014Really enjoy the food, atmosphere and the service at this Portola Valley restaurant. Never had a bad meal. Waiters and waitresses always have suggestions. Drinks are great. Food has great variety. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent EveningPiggyDined on 8/14/2014We ate outside on a beautiful evening among the redwoods. Wonderful food, very fast service, and an excellent, pleasant waiter.Special Features:
- Lunch under the RedwoodskayskornerVIPDined on 8/6/2014I have visited Parkside Grille several times before and each time I wonder why I don't go there weekly. The food is the best there is in San Mateo County! I especially like the warm spinach salad with seared scallops.....not to be found any where else that I'm aware of.....delicious! My friend had the beet and crab salad and really was impressed with the generous amount od crab and the delicious seasoning. To top off the enjoyment of the beautiful outdoor dining, Hoss, the manager, is a delight and always checking to be sure all is well. Adolfo is the frosting on the cake and has worked there 12 years. He has a permagrin and personality to charm everyone in the kindest way. Parkside Grille can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceout2eatDined on 8/3/2014We came with a group to celebrate my mom's birthday - the food was great, the service wonderful and the drinks excellent. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouiseVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love the place, area is great, people a friendly, food good, Bill is a nice guy, very accommodating.Special Features:
- Neighborhood + !!!ExcellentDined on 8/2/2014Very attentive & friendly staff; excellent food; not at all noisy, in spite of a large crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the redwoodsYummieDined on 7/30/2014What could be better than dinner under the redwoods with family, friends, great food and wine. The wait staff were courteous and attentive. The only thing that bugged us were the bees; but, heck, we were dining outside. We will be back. Thank you Parkside Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 452 reviews are from the Parkside Grille reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Popular restaurant with very good food. Some very loud diners/drinkers in second dining room detracted from quality of dining experience there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as usualHappyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Love this restaurant. You can check every single box above and it will be true! There is something for everyone here and everyone will have a great time with excellent food and fabulous service. I made Open Table Reservations on my i-phone only to show up on a very busy Saturday night and there was no reservation! I had made it for Sunday night by mistake. No problem, they found us a table within minutes and made me feel as though it was their mistake not mine! Food was excellent. I highly recommend the roasted tomato soup - a bit of summer on the table. Boston Creme pie topped off a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid weekends...BanducciDined on 7/19/2014when they have musicians performing. The musician inflicted upon us was (1) too loud, and (2) sang modified elevator music in a high voice. Very unpleasant. Otherwise a nice dinner. The steak salad is excellent.Special Features: