884 Portola Road A-1
Portola Valley, CA 94028Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://parksidegrille.com/
- Phone: 650-529-9007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Yanni Sarakosta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering private dinners.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two Private Rooms which can accommodate up to 55 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Petkopoulos 650-529-9007
- Entertainment: Seasonal Live Music.
A word from Parkside Grille
Rustic Elegance In Beautiful Portola Valley. Nestled Among Towering Redwoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Parkside Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (85)great for outdoor dining (78)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (42)great for lunch (40)romantic (37)scenic view (34)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (19)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)Show More
- Disappointing SoleFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have enjoyed several meals at the Parkside Grill in recent years so they may be entitled on one flub. We were a group of six adults for a family birthday dinner. Each person typically had a starter, main course, and desert. Five of use had the special sole entree. Mine was over cooked to the point of mushiness. The other soles looked similar to mine, but no one else complained so maybe the others were OK. The salad and desert were fine.There is a fair selection of wines, but no red below mid thirties, and steeply up from there. The tab not including wine averaged in low fifties per person, not exactly a high value meal.Special Features:
- Disappointing...again.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/25/2014Have dined here a few times a year for many years. Good food but recently, service has gone waaay downhill and it's just not worth it anymore. Waited almost 10 min for waiter to come by on a not-busy weeknight, then another 10 min for a simple glass of wine...all from an uninspiring (and apparently uninspired) server. Incredibly noisy, too...again, on a slow night.mmthe acoustics are awful and nothing to absorb the sound. Although we're locals and want to support solid local proprietors, we really won't be back after this incredibly disappointing episode...again. Good luck, Parkside Grille...Hope the bar crowd and private dinners pay the rent.
- friendly waiter, 6pm 9/23skyjaneDined on 9/23/2014Waiter was really friendly and provided the right balance of attention and space to converse. Pasta papardelle special was terrific; spinach dinner salad was way overly oily with slightly off-tasting scallops.Special Features:
- Great, Tasty MealTresdudesVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The appetizers, entrees and the desserts were very flavorful and delicious.
- Tried to like it but it was a failmattyWDined on 9/20/2014We have been here before for a variety of occasions with others and chose it for our anniversary dinner, just the two of us. In he past we had considered it a bit over-priced and under-powered for the quality of food and the service, but it is one of the more highly praised restaurants in the area and we figured we were too picky or the local clientele had lower expectations and a higher budget. We had made reservations on OpenTable and had sent a special notice that this was a milestone anniversary. The house was chaotic, understaffed, the kitchen was a disaster, the food undercooked in one instance, and cold in the other. Bartender was an idiot, and the waiter did not know anything about the food or specials. Big fat fail.
- Nice local placeNotforeveryoneDined on 9/19/2014Great place for local dining if you don't want to drive to El Camino. Not the best but well worth it considering it's location. Always good.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedAloha1Dined on 9/19/2014I have been a local customer for years and always take friends to have either lunch or dinner at Parkside Grille. The service has gotten spotty. Water glasses and drinks were not refreshed, plates not removed in a timely way, I couldn't find a waiter to ask for our check and when the check finally came I had to get up to take it to the waiter. Maybe some staff people were missing- I don't know. The food was as good as ever but not the service.Special Features:
- Gem of a Restaurant!twlamaDined on 9/19/2014Took a colleague to lunch here last week and we decided to dine outside. We chose a table between two giant sequoias, each at least 400 years old. This is a beautiful area right on Portola valley road. There are several shops in this small shopping area, two of which are related to horses. The food at Parkside Grille is the real reason to come here; truly top notch fare with exciting choises in three areas: salads, sandwiches and entrees. You can check a sample menu online. My friend had the spinach salad with grilled scallops and i had the endive salad, also with grilled scallops. AMAZING. Delightful additions to the salads: his had roasted potato quarters, mine had pecans, dried cranberries and chunk of blu cheese. Quality/price 3 to 1!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kayskornerkayskornerVIPDined on 9/19/2014Fabulous setting and consistently GREAT food. The wait staff and "chief Engineer", Adolfo, add to the charm and warmth of dining under the Redwoods. The spinach salad with seared scallops should not be missed and the warm chocolate cake with berries is the perfect way to end the meal....heavenly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerml1621Dined on 9/12/2014We had a very nice dinner. We were celebrating two birthdays -- which I indicated on my OpenTable reservation; however, no one at the restaurant was aware of this .. hmmmm ... doesn't seem like good communication in our internet age. The food was good, service was good, wine list was a gem.Special Features:
- not likely to return anytime soonMarjorieVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is loud,,so loud we asked to be moved. Could not, since all other tables were booked. This is the only place to dine for miles so it is full on the weekends and most nights. Always try for a booth where the sound is subdued.Special Features:
- Always a treatMypinkblessingDined on 9/6/2014This was the first time we brought our kids and they also enjoyed the food. Service is great. We are outdoors so it was quiet, relaxing and you almost felt as though you were somewhere else on vacation looking up at the RedwoodsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Evening DinnerCorkyKDined on 8/29/2014Fine food, good service, but on the noisy side due to accoustic reflective environment inside. Outside dinning better for serious converstation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty spot in the PVBeautieFOodieDined on 8/25/2014I have been passing this place for years on my mountain bike-rides or on my way to Windy Hill and finally got the opportunity to give it a try! Great ambiance- I love how the kitchen is open and the chef's are looking out on their guests! The hostess was unfriendly which was unpleasant to walk in on. Another woman (maybe part owner it seemed), also unfriendly, walked us to our table which was way in the back corner of the restaurant and we even had reservations! At least the chef was friendly and our waiter, they checked up on us and were very interested in how we liked our food. The food was excellent and their friendliness is what saved the review from a negative rant on the poor introduction.Special Features:
- OkayZwinDined on 8/24/2014The mussels used to be ravishing - not anymore. I miss the large green mussels in succulent curry. The 4 shrimps with a arugula and lemon "fondue" basically was a Rabbitnesque take - a big mount of arugula with a bit of lemon sauce and 4 shrimps. The noise level makes it difficult to carry a normal conversation. I wish they would do some acoustic treatment on the ceiling A convenient local spot when you do not want to cook or dress up.
- DisappointedRedsfavoritemomDined on 8/23/2014Only go to this restaurant if you live in the neighborhood and want to visit very LOUDLY with friends. We've been to Parkside several times, the last two dinners, the food was fine but the ambiance was horrible. People just talk to loudly. We'll probably never go again.Special Features:
- Two very different experiences.altakockerDined on 8/23/2014Parkside Grill is a wonderful restaurant in the heart of Portola Valley. Eating outside under the redwoods could not be nicer. The food is quite good, but the ambience is superb, made especially so by the quiet and melodic guitar/vocal music that is kept discretely in the background allowing for good conversation without having to shout. That said, indoors is nothing special. Very noisy and hard to be heard, no real ambience, no guitar. And outdoor seating is on a first come first served basis. Although the food is quite good, this is not a restaurant (in an area replete with great restaurants) I would seek out if I could not sit outdoors.Special Features:
- fun and yumGeorgeVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a very nice leisurely lunch and good meal. The food was especially nice and the presentation was lovely.Special Features:
- Nice pick!out2eatDined on 8/15/2014Really enjoy the food, atmosphere and the service at this Portola Valley restaurant. Never had a bad meal. Waiters and waitresses always have suggestions. Drinks are great. Food has great variety. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent EveningPiggyDined on 8/14/2014We ate outside on a beautiful evening among the redwoods. Wonderful food, very fast service, and an excellent, pleasant waiter.Special Features:
- Great experienceout2eatDined on 8/3/2014We came with a group to celebrate my mom's birthday - the food was great, the service wonderful and the drinks excellent. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouiseVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love the place, area is great, people a friendly, food good, Bill is a nice guy, very accommodating.Special Features:
- Neighborhood + !!!ExcellentDined on 8/2/2014Very attentive & friendly staff; excellent food; not at all noisy, in spite of a large crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the redwoodsYummieDined on 7/30/2014What could be better than dinner under the redwoods with family, friends, great food and wine. The wait staff were courteous and attentive. The only thing that bugged us were the bees; but, heck, we were dining outside. We will be back. Thank you Parkside Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Popular restaurant with very good food. Some very loud diners/drinkers in second dining room detracted from quality of dining experience there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as usualHappyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Love this restaurant. You can check every single box above and it will be true! There is something for everyone here and everyone will have a great time with excellent food and fabulous service. I made Open Table Reservations on my i-phone only to show up on a very busy Saturday night and there was no reservation! I had made it for Sunday night by mistake. No problem, they found us a table within minutes and made me feel as though it was their mistake not mine! Food was excellent. I highly recommend the roasted tomato soup - a bit of summer on the table. Boston Creme pie topped off a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid weekends...BanducciDined on 7/19/2014when they have musicians performing. The musician inflicted upon us was (1) too loud, and (2) sang modified elevator music in a high voice. Very unpleasant. Otherwise a nice dinner. The steak salad is excellent.Special Features:
- So disappointed!MarinFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/19/2014Parkside Grille had become our favorite place to go for lunch & we had enjoyed several outdoor dinners. But this experience was a deal-breaker. Our server was unsure of how the fish was prepared, unable to describe the difference between the way the different steak dishes were prepared, unsure of the specials. Our salad with dried cherries was flavorful. My fish was overcooked. The accompanying asparagus was cooked until mushy. My companion's steak was ordered medium but was strangely served with grill marks on it but raw in the middle. It was cold, uncooked in the center & drowned in sauce. We think it was pre-cooked & heated before service. A server replaced the steak while my food got cold. Our server disappeared. We won't be back.
- Poor service, average foodRAMCCDined on 7/13/2014We had dinner here with the kids on a Sunday night. We sat outside, which was nice. The service was good until our food came out. After that we struggled to get anyone's attention. When we finished eating they didn't clear our table, so we sat with dirty plates in front of us (a pet hate) until we left. Our bill was presented to us before we had a chance to order dessert, so we took it as a sign to cut our loses and go home. The food was OK but not great. The steaks were well cooked but served with a fairly flavorless gravy, overcooked greens and no condiments. The kids burger was tiny - not suitable for kids over 5 years old. We won't go back to Parkside Grille. The quality of food and service certainly didn't match the price.
- Good evening, but not fine dining!FoodLover94028Dined on 7/12/2014We are locals and go occasionally. There isn't much else out here in PV and the locals love it. But each time I am surprised by the noise level inside -- we had trouble hearing at a table for 4. The specials included "fresh dungeness crab pasta". When I inquired how it could be "fresh" when they are not in season, our waiter was quite offended. It ends up I may have been wrong, but he didn't know what the season was and claimed they had "fresh" all year long. Hmmm. Sweet potato fries weren't very sweet. Dessert menu isn't very inspired. But everything we ate was good.Special Features:
- Dinning Under the RedwoodsBirthdayGirlsDined on 6/27/2014Once again, I had a fabulous dinner with girlfriends on the patio. The towering redwoods make me feel like I am on vacation ~ a relaxing atmosphere. This time a guitarist played lovely background music ~ a definite plus. All four of us found the food to be outstanding. The waiter was very attentive without being pushy or annoying. He graciously checked with the chef to verify my menu selection was gluten-free. I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about this restaurant and I recommend it to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableJackieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Dinner with friends is always wonderful here. Food is always fresh and delish! Wait staff attentive and friendly. My only suggestion is that Bill opens a restaurant in Los Altos. PARKSIDE Grill is my go to restaurant.Special Features:
- New to the areaDianeT1VIPDined on 6/23/2014We have only lived here two weeks and we have been to the Parkside Grille 3 times! The dinners and lunch were quite good. The service was friendly and efficient and being in among the redwoods was wonderful.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSomethingoodDined on 6/19/2014This has become our go-to favorite. It is consistently pleasant with good food. Love the Manhattan chowder and grilled prawns...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/19/2014This was our first time dining in Portola Valley. What a heavenly experience. We set our reservation early enough to choose a table for two outside near the building to minimize sun and potential breeze. The hostess warmly welcomed us, the waiter was friendly and informative, the chef and staff created beautiful plates of food that were prepared just as described in the menu and as we had requested. Delicious from beginning pizza appetizer through to the final crumb of dessert. The full menu offers a wide variety of tastes, needs, and desires. We're coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK..but not worth the $$$$sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014A neighborhood " gem" but not worth driving to. Food is OK but not great. Overpriced for quality.Special Features:
- Great place to relax and enjoyDJHinWoodsideDined on 6/16/2014Fantastic setting can't be beat. Food and service are consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Enjoyed itLynnDined on 6/7/2014We wanted to try some place new and found this place on Opentable.com in Portola Valley. Very nice. Good food, good service. Definitely ask for the side room if you are making a reservation. The main area is a lot more vibrant. I had the Skirt Steak which looked exactly like the picture. There are lovely redwood trees outside your window so it seems like you are in the country. We definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- Dining beneath the RedwoodsLaurahVIPDined on 6/7/2014Lovely meal on a first visit. We ate outside, under the trees. Service was prompt and courteous. It's not an exciting menu, but the food was beautifully prepared. I had an excellent tomato gazpacho, very chunky, well-chilled, great flavor. My husband had the special flatbread with figs and cheese (I think cambozola) and caramelized onions with honey -- also very nice. He also had the special pasta which he enjoyed. I had the rack of lamb, with greek salad and yogourt sauce. The lamb was perfect, and went well with the salad and yogourt. For dessert we shared the strawberry trifle, which was very light and delicious. In all, a great meal. We'll be back next time we need to eat in the area.Special Features:
- always goodpvpartyDined on 6/3/2014good food and service and beautiful setting! Yummmmmmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.