884 Portola Road A-1
Portola Valley, CA 94028Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://parksidegrille.com/
- Phone: 650-529-9007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Yanni Sarakosta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering private dinners.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two Private Rooms which can accommodate up to 55 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Petkopoulos 650-529-9007
- Entertainment: Seasonal Live Music.
A word from Parkside Grille
Rustic Elegance In Beautiful Portola Valley. Nestled Among Towering Redwoods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Parkside Grille - Best Restaurants in Portola Valley ›
Parkside Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)great for outdoor dining (73)special occasion (46)great for lunch (41)romantic (39)fit for foodies (37)scenic view (33)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (23)kid-friendly (20)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Tasty spot in the PVOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014I have been passing this place for years on my mountain bike-rides or on my way to Windy Hill and finally got the opportunity to give it a try! Great ambiance- I love how the kitchen is open and the chef's are looking out on their guests! The hostess was unfriendly which was unpleasant to walk in on. Another woman (maybe part owner it seemed), also unfriendly, walked us to our table which was way in the back corner of the restaurant and we even had reservations! At least the chef was friendly and our waiter, they checked up on us and were very interested in how we liked our food. The food was excellent and their friendliness is what saved the review from a negative rant on the poor introduction.Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014The mussels used to be ravishing - not anymore. I miss the large green mussels in succulent curry. The 4 shrimps with a arugula and lemon "fondue" basically was a Rabbitnesque take - a big mount of arugula with a bit of lemon sauce and 4 shrimps. The noise level makes it difficult to carry a normal conversation. I wish they would do some acoustic treatment on the ceiling A convenient local spot when you do not want to cook or dress up.
- DisappointedRedsfavoritemomDined on 8/23/2014Only go to this restaurant if you live in the neighborhood and want to visit very LOUDLY with friends. We've been to Parkside several times, the last two dinners, the food was fine but the ambiance was horrible. People just talk to loudly. We'll probably never go again.Special Features:
- Two very different experiences.altakockerDined on 8/23/2014Parkside Grill is a wonderful restaurant in the heart of Portola Valley. Eating outside under the redwoods could not be nicer. The food is quite good, but the ambience is superb, made especially so by the quiet and melodic guitar/vocal music that is kept discretely in the background allowing for good conversation without having to shout. That said, indoors is nothing special. Very noisy and hard to be heard, no real ambience, no guitar. And outdoor seating is on a first come first served basis. Although the food is quite good, this is not a restaurant (in an area replete with great restaurants) I would seek out if I could not sit outdoors.Special Features:
- fun and yumGeorgeVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a very nice leisurely lunch and good meal. The food was especially nice and the presentation was lovely.Special Features:
- Excellent EveningPiggyDined on 8/14/2014We ate outside on a beautiful evening among the redwoods. Wonderful food, very fast service, and an excellent, pleasant waiter.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014We came with a group to celebrate my mom's birthday - the food was great, the service wonderful and the drinks excellent. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouiseVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love the place, area is great, people a friendly, food good, Bill is a nice guy, very accommodating.Special Features:
- Neighborhood + !!!ExcellentDined on 8/2/2014Very attentive & friendly staff; excellent food; not at all noisy, in spite of a large crowd!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the redwoodsYummieDined on 7/30/2014What could be better than dinner under the redwoods with family, friends, great food and wine. The wait staff were courteous and attentive. The only thing that bugged us were the bees; but, heck, we were dining outside. We will be back. Thank you Parkside Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Popular restaurant with very good food. Some very loud diners/drinkers in second dining room detracted from quality of dining experience there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as usualHappyVIPDined on 7/20/2014Love this restaurant. You can check every single box above and it will be true! There is something for everyone here and everyone will have a great time with excellent food and fabulous service. I made Open Table Reservations on my i-phone only to show up on a very busy Saturday night and there was no reservation! I had made it for Sunday night by mistake. No problem, they found us a table within minutes and made me feel as though it was their mistake not mine! Food was excellent. I highly recommend the roasted tomato soup - a bit of summer on the table. Boston Creme pie topped off a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid weekends...BanducciDined on 7/19/2014when they have musicians performing. The musician inflicted upon us was (1) too loud, and (2) sang modified elevator music in a high voice. Very unpleasant. Otherwise a nice dinner. The steak salad is excellent.Special Features:
- So disappointed!MarinFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/19/2014Parkside Grille had become our favorite place to go for lunch & we had enjoyed several outdoor dinners. But this experience was a deal-breaker. Our server was unsure of how the fish was prepared, unable to describe the difference between the way the different steak dishes were prepared, unsure of the specials. Our salad with dried cherries was flavorful. My fish was overcooked. The accompanying asparagus was cooked until mushy. My companion's steak was ordered medium but was strangely served with grill marks on it but raw in the middle. It was cold, uncooked in the center & drowned in sauce. We think it was pre-cooked & heated before service. A server replaced the steak while my food got cold. Our server disappeared. We won't be back.
- Poor service, average foodRAMCCDined on 7/13/2014We had dinner here with the kids on a Sunday night. We sat outside, which was nice. The service was good until our food came out. After that we struggled to get anyone's attention. When we finished eating they didn't clear our table, so we sat with dirty plates in front of us (a pet hate) until we left. Our bill was presented to us before we had a chance to order dessert, so we took it as a sign to cut our loses and go home. The food was OK but not great. The steaks were well cooked but served with a fairly flavorless gravy, overcooked greens and no condiments. The kids burger was tiny - not suitable for kids over 5 years old. We won't go back to Parkside Grille. The quality of food and service certainly didn't match the price.
- Good evening, but not fine dining!FoodLover94028Dined on 7/12/2014We are locals and go occasionally. There isn't much else out here in PV and the locals love it. But each time I am surprised by the noise level inside -- we had trouble hearing at a table for 4. The specials included "fresh dungeness crab pasta". When I inquired how it could be "fresh" when they are not in season, our waiter was quite offended. It ends up I may have been wrong, but he didn't know what the season was and claimed they had "fresh" all year long. Hmmm. Sweet potato fries weren't very sweet. Dessert menu isn't very inspired. But everything we ate was good.Special Features:
- Dinning Under the RedwoodsBirthdayGirlsDined on 6/27/2014Once again, I had a fabulous dinner with girlfriends on the patio. The towering redwoods make me feel like I am on vacation ~ a relaxing atmosphere. This time a guitarist played lovely background music ~ a definite plus. All four of us found the food to be outstanding. The waiter was very attentive without being pushy or annoying. He graciously checked with the chef to verify my menu selection was gluten-free. I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about this restaurant and I recommend it to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableJackieVIPDined on 6/26/2014Dinner with friends is always wonderful here. Food is always fresh and delish! Wait staff attentive and friendly. My only suggestion is that Bill opens a restaurant in Los Altos. PARKSIDE Grill is my go to restaurant.Special Features:
- New to the areaDianeT1VIPDined on 6/23/2014We have only lived here two weeks and we have been to the Parkside Grille 3 times! The dinners and lunch were quite good. The service was friendly and efficient and being in among the redwoods was wonderful.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSomethingoodDined on 6/19/2014This has become our go-to favorite. It is consistently pleasant with good food. Love the Manhattan chowder and grilled prawns...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/19/2014This was our first time dining in Portola Valley. What a heavenly experience. We set our reservation early enough to choose a table for two outside near the building to minimize sun and potential breeze. The hostess warmly welcomed us, the waiter was friendly and informative, the chef and staff created beautiful plates of food that were prepared just as described in the menu and as we had requested. Delicious from beginning pizza appetizer through to the final crumb of dessert. The full menu offers a wide variety of tastes, needs, and desires. We're coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK..but not worth the $$$$sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014A neighborhood " gem" but not worth driving to. Food is OK but not great. Overpriced for quality.Special Features:
- Great place to relax and enjoyDJHinWoodsideDined on 6/16/2014Fantastic setting can't be beat. Food and service are consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Enjoyed itLynnDined on 6/7/2014We wanted to try some place new and found this place on Opentable.com in Portola Valley. Very nice. Good food, good service. Definitely ask for the side room if you are making a reservation. The main area is a lot more vibrant. I had the Skirt Steak which looked exactly like the picture. There are lovely redwood trees outside your window so it seems like you are in the country. We definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- Dining beneath the RedwoodsLaurahVIPDined on 6/7/2014Lovely meal on a first visit. We ate outside, under the trees. Service was prompt and courteous. It's not an exciting menu, but the food was beautifully prepared. I had an excellent tomato gazpacho, very chunky, well-chilled, great flavor. My husband had the special flatbread with figs and cheese (I think cambozola) and caramelized onions with honey -- also very nice. He also had the special pasta which he enjoyed. I had the rack of lamb, with greek salad and yogourt sauce. The lamb was perfect, and went well with the salad and yogourt. For dessert we shared the strawberry trifle, which was very light and delicious. In all, a great meal. We'll be back next time we need to eat in the area.Special Features:
- always goodpvpartyDined on 6/3/2014good food and service and beautiful setting! Yummmmmmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/3/2014The food was very good - the noise level high. It was understaffed for the amount of people. All in all, a good meal for 6 experienced eaters.Special Features:
- in a rushBergieVIPDined on 5/31/2014Felt very rushed through dinner and bill paying process. Dinner was not as good as usual but, will be back as I think they were just having an off night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful restaurantMarinFoodLoverVIPDined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed our second visit to Parkside Grille as much as the last. The soft-shell crab was perfectly cooked and served on a bed of fresh corn and arugula. The chunky gazpacho had a nice hit of heat and was well seasoned. Our grass-fed steaks were served with carrots and green beans that were delicious. The server was attentive and really knew the menu. Our questions about the level of heat in several dishes were answered well and his descriptions of the specials were quite detailed. This is our new favorite restaurant in the area. Yum.
- Wonderful gem in portola valleyMenloFoodieDined on 5/30/2014The ambiance at Parkside Grill is just wonderful, being among the redwood trees. Love the food and service is very attentive. It's a great place to go for a special occasion - or even just a Friday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go herehashtagfrankDined on 5/23/2014Went here on the recommendation of a friend who went here once as well. Needed a good meal that was without the pretense or self absorption of most restaraunt these days. That and it was just as much a treat to get out of the City. The location in a rural mall was a little off - putting but inside was interesting enough. The appetizers were great. Really great. My guest's pasta with shredded short ribs was excellent and my New York steak done to my liking. Sides were appropriate and not over done but seasoned perfectly. Dessert was a strawberry shortcake and was a miss. Even if you don't drive a new Mercedes or Porsche, even if you don't look like you just drove up from a staff meeting at Stanford, go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Friday eveningCatCh2VIPDined on 5/23/2014Parkside Grille has delightful food in a neighborhood setting that is both comfortable and yummy. Very relaxing both inside and out with food that tastes great.Special Features:
- Great food but noisy open kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/23/2014Great food in a charming country location. We love this place but the cooks in the kitchen are too noisy... they seem to be throwing medal pans on the grill. We wish the otherwise attentive management might do something about this. There is no need for the clashing sounds to interrupt the dining room. We have been here several times and it is always the same (delicious food but too much noise). They have a back room area that will be quieter but not with the same atmosphere. As for the food, the beet salad, grilled lamb chops and salmon special were wonderful. Pleasant and attentive waiters.Special Features:
- Casual but delicious dinner/lunchmmocheDined on 5/22/2014I go to the Parkside Grille as often as possible. I usually want an light supper and order the shrimp grilled on rosemary branches. A green salad accompanies the shrimp and the whole thing is delicious. ALSO, the Grille has a marvelous, "home" baked bread (small round) that is so good I could eat oodles of them. The staff is not only "Johnny on the spot" but completely polite, charming and gets the client what she/he wants very quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Place to EatDaveDined on 5/22/2014Everything was fantastic. Great food, Great service. The red clam chowder was the best I think I have ever had. Very friendly place where most everyone seemed to know each other but at the same time welcoming to new customers as we were. Also a great outdoor dining area among some huge redwood trees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above & BeyondOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/17/2014The owner and staff of Parkside Grill are amazing. We were literally over an hour late for our 8:30pm reservation due to a local town event running over but the owner, Bill (Vasili), was gracious enough to hold his staff late, keep the kitchen open and accommodate all of the later arrivals, which were many. Bill and his staff are an incredible asset to our local community and make Parkside more than just another restaurant to catch a bit to eat.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindwoodsiderVIPDined on 5/4/2014The Grille is a good place to know if you are seeking a spot in Portola Valley. It's in the trees and has lots of parking and an easy ambience. The food is fine, nothing special but a fun place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timescriticDined on 5/3/2014Although pricey, the food and wine selection was very good. Our group stayed after dinner to hear the band, The Hummers, and really enjoyed the music and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parkside Grill PVruralmomDined on 4/28/2014We love the consistently good food, friendly service and relatively quiet dining room at the Parkside. And it's location from Woodside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 424 reviews are from the Parkside Grille reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2014Just a great place. The ambiance, the food, the service, everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.