Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
8229 Germantown Ave., Building A
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.parisbistro.net/
- Phone: 2152426200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Th, Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Al Paris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Thursday through Sunday evenings.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday Open 6:00- Close 12:00 Midnight
Set times 7:00, 8:30 &10:00 PM
Sunday Open 5:00-Close 11:00 PM
Set times 6:00, 7:30 & 9:00 PM
$5 entertainment charge (unless otherwise noted)
No reservations - first-come, first-seated in the cafe
- Cross Street: Southampton Avenue
- Public Transit: SEPTA Route 23 Bus
SEPTA Regional Rail Chestnut East or Chestnut Hill West lines
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking provided in Chestnut Hill Hotel parking lot (access on Southampton Avenue).
Additional metered street parking available on Germantown Avenue and side streets.
A word from Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
Located in the middle of Philadelphia's charming Chestnut Hill neighborhood, Paris Bistro has made quite a splash since it opened in late January 2014. The setting and food are authentic bistro - the crowd is lively and the menu is reminiscent of the many bistros that dot Paris' arrondissement. Downstairs, the jazz cafe features the area's best talent playing a mixture of standards, Great American Songbook classics and music from the Jazz Era of the early 1900's. Make an evening of it with reservations for dinner upstairs and a jazz set after (seating in the cafe is on a first-come, first-seated basis).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (173)fit for foodies (120)special occasion (91)hot spot (72)romantic (64)notable wine list (60)good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (48)great for brunch (41)late-night find (27)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- MimiDined on 10/20/2014This was my second time at Paris Bistro. Both times the waiters were very friendly and attentive. The food was delicious. I had the same thing both times.....Beet salad and the Beef Bourgunione (?) Excellent!!! My friend loved her dinner the first time but wasn't happy the second time. She had a Chicken Crepe. Did not like it. She was not charged for it. I would go back again and I am sure she would too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sbhbDined on 10/20/2014We went on a Monday for buck-a-shuck oysters. They were great!Special Features:
- High hopesJeffVIPDined on 10/17/2014After reviewing the menu we had high hopes. Phoning the restaurant to say that we were running late, we were greeted with "Bon soir"... o.k. touch, but in the background all I could hear was the sound of loud voices. An omen. Paris is a lovely space, all hard surfaces. Tables are close together, as is often the case in Paris, where it works. Here it did not. We could not hear each other to talk unless we leaned across the table and shouted. Oysters on the half shell were fine, but NOT for $28 for 6. The Bouillabaisse was utterly mediocre. Clearly its parts were added to a heavy tomato broth right before serving. No subtlety of flavor at all. Finally, the waiter was ghastly. There aren't enough words... Chummy, ODD, overbearing.Special Features:
- BaileyDined on 10/16/2014Paris Bistro & Jazz Cafe has acieved the perfect balance of being a restaurant that offers extraordinarily good food and service. We will most certainly return and recommend this restaurant as a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeasThoughtsDined on 10/15/2014I visited with three guests. they enjoyed their meals I didn't enjoy the free range chicken which lacked taste or seasoning.
- Love love love it!!JoanDined on 10/14/2014I had steak frites. Tres bon. Always get the almond cake. Marvelous! Really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Parisian style waitstaffGhazahDined on 10/14/2014We had the most awkward experience with our waiter. He started out seemingly trying to be rude. Then at the end, when he delivered the bill - he turned it on and tried so hard to be sweet. I want Parisian food, not rude Parisian service. The food was good, but not good for the price. I WANT to love it there. This was my second try. I can see them reach for a Parisian bistro here, just does not deliver…except for rude waiters.
- ExcellentBBrunoVIPDined on 10/13/2014Food was excellent. Service was a little slow. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really happy with our experience!Teafor3Dined on 10/13/2014Very impressed! We booked online for Columbus day, and later discovered it was their first time to be open on Mondays. The place was absolutely hopping! On-line we requested a nice table for my wife's birthday and they did not disappoint. I also happened to mention this to our waiter, and when they brought our dessert order, a 2nd waiter stood in front of him until the last moment, to hide the fact that they'd added a lit candle to my wife's dessert. We each ordered something different and were all very happy with the content. Food was excellent!Special Features:
- Avoid the crepesChestnutDined on 10/13/2014I have been to Paris Bistro many times and have never been disappointed until this last time. There were four of us for dinner - two of us ordered the crepes du jour which happened to be chicken. What a mistake. The crepes were dry. The filling was mainly some sort of legume/ bean with a small portion of white meat chicken. The sauce was skimpy and added nothing to the dry and bland dish. The other diners in our party enjoyed the salmon cakes ("Best I ever had," he remarked.) The hamburger someone else ordered was done perfectly and served with a generous portion of fries. My overall suggestion to others is to stick to the basics, which Paris Bistro does well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buck a shucktolisa0269Dined on 10/13/2014my wife & i have been to heirloom many times w/the last 2 visits being less than good. we were a little hesitant about paris bistro. but i can't say enough about the energy in the room. right from the door we were impressed. it was lively w/o being rowdy. the wait-staff were knowledgeable, patient & courteous. the oysters were outstanding (i had 36)! our sides were delectable (mushrooms, sauteed spinach, pomme frites). the beer was tasty as well blending w/my oysters nicely. my wife was very satisfied w/her trout. the physical environment is beautiful. the tin ceiling, the bar set up, the table arrangement; everything is tastefully done. WE WILL BE BACK!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experiencechocolat60Dined on 10/12/2014We really enjoyed the restaurant from the time we entered with your gracious hostess, Andrea, to our fine waiter (I don't remember his name), but he was very cordial to us. The boeuf was very tender and delicious. My husband enjoyed the scallops, and stated they were very much to his liking.Special Features:
- Not up to previous qualityDeboDined on 10/12/2014This was our fourth time eating at Paris since it opened. Nice atmosphere, good service but the food was not quite as good overall.Special Features:
- First time customerMedia101VIPDined on 10/12/2014I took friend to brunch based on a recommendation from my daughter and I was delighted. The atmosphere is great and the food selection was interesting. I had some the best french toast ever. Will defintely return for dinner and have already recommended it to other friends.Special Features:
- YummyBSmithDined on 10/12/2014I went here with a friend for Brunch. The food was fantastic and the service was as well. We are going back for a special birthday dinner in November.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed experienceluv2gooutniDined on 10/11/2014Very pleasant service. Food was OK but not really as special as we expected. Noise level made conversation impossible. Room temperature too hot. Wine disappointing.
- Paris Fridayhoward2VIPDined on 10/10/2014Paris is extremely noisy when full...practically no fabric anywhere. A medium-rare burger arrived well-done and dry. Other than those things it was fine and is a fun spot with a jazz bar downstairs.Special Features:
- Best place in Chestnut Hillmanger123VIPDined on 10/8/2014I have eaten here almost a dozen times; it consistently delivers quality food at reasonable prices. The wine list is varied, and again reasonable. (ok, we are in PA, so reasonable may be a relative term.)Special Features:
- Very disappointedTheBeanDined on 10/4/2014We went for brunch after having had a delightful dinner previously, but were greatly disappointed. The kitchen was out of croissants and ham, which seems a bit strange for a French bistro. The service was poor and one dish arrived very late, although we were still charged. Not a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food, excellent serviceFayeMay24VIPDined on 10/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. For a cocktail, I highly recommend "La Vie en Rose." The cheese tray is wonderful, as is the chicken entree. We had grand marnier chocolate mousse for dessert which was very rich and perfect if you like grand marnier. The service here is outstanding.
- Adult Dining in Chestnut Hillmanger123VIPDined on 9/30/2014This place has been needed for a long time--it fills a real niche in CH by providing a level of dining--in price and quality--not readily available in CH. There are plenty of family places--which are good--but there is a lack of places for adults to eat without kids running underfoot, where business dinners can be held, and where events can be celebrated.Special Features:
- Great Find!bobnjcathyDined on 9/28/2014Enjoyable brunch and atmosphere at this beautiful, quaint restaurant in Chestnut Hill. All made possible by Leon's attentive service. This was our 2nd visit and each time was fabulous. Jazz cafe downstairs is a great venue. We will be back over the holidays and will make it an overnight stay so we can do both dinner and follow up with brunch the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing brunchpetitegourmetDined on 9/28/2014I have dined at the Bistro for dinner on a number of occasions, and while I found the noise level burdensome, the food has always been very good. Brunch was a disappointment, however and the service was just fair. The omelets were undercooked and the food took quite some time to come out of the kitchen. I ordered a second drink half way through the meal, and it was not delivered to me until after we had all finished eating. It is unlikely I will return there for brunch when there are so many other restaurants with more delicious and less expensive fare.Special Features:
- Excellent new restuarantSpeedyDined on 9/26/2014One of the best new restaurants in chestnut hill. Food was excellent and the restuarant has a very good decor. Will definitally be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time and still underwhelmedchestnuthillfoodloverVIPDined on 9/24/2014I really wanted to like the Paris Bistro, so excited about location, ambience and having another option in Chestnut Hill. Unfortunately I have been here twice since it opened and both times I been disappointed by the food. My recommendation, have pomme frites and wine at the bar.Special Features:
- Still a great neighborhood placediscriminatingdinerDined on 9/24/2014I've been there six times now, I believe. The food is very good--French daily cooking, so to speak, at reasonable prices. It's hard to beat in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMarcHVIPDined on 9/24/2014My 4th visit was last week and as always imrt lives up to or exceeds my expectations. Took our 11y/o Granduaghter who is a foodie and she loved. It really replicates a classic Paris Bistrot Want to try brunch in the near future My only suggestion is that they have a more robust selection of wine by their glass as presently it is very limitedSpecial Features:
- A good choice.thewmb7crewDined on 9/21/2014Ambiance lovely. Food very good. Staff friendly, responsive and pleasant but could use additional training in the nuances of good service. On the negative side the noise level too high for normal level conversation and service of main meal rather slow. Otherwise a really enjoyable experience and we will return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Not funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014The service was awful and food took way to long to come out and then was mediocre. Not going back tons of other places in area that are much better and don't have to deal with rude servers
- Great foodStrawberryDined on 9/17/2014The food was delicious. The service was wonderful. The table was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRENCH BISTRO AT ITS BESTMandesVIPDined on 9/17/2014I can't tell you how much I enjoyed eating at Paris Bistro. The food and the service are great. If you want great food and reasonble pricing this is your place. I had my favorite on Wednesday Coq au vin. This is only served on Wednesday's only. I wish it was offered more that one night a week. Check it out!Special Features:
- Good addition to chestnut hill!FoodloverDined on 9/14/2014Good food, lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, not too expensiveSpecial Features:
- Go for the foodGutessenDined on 9/14/2014Outanding food. French onion soup some of the best but spice twigs were in it. Scallops were perfect. Short ribs topped other a butternut squash ravioli perfect. I'll return if only for the almond cake for dessert. Service was very good and attentive except for one request that was forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDined on 9/14/2014This was our first visit and we had an awesome experience and dining pleasure! We plan to return and celebrate my birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like Eating in NYCRBBPHILLYVIPDined on 9/13/2014The crab and avocado salad is amazing and the sauce is to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbecuemanDined on 9/13/2014Menu was attractively diverse and food was well prepared and timely served. Wait staff was prompt and attentive. Have dined there twice and both times were very happy with our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food - Inviting CharmYumyumgirlDined on 9/13/2014Everything about this little gem of ambience transports you to Paris. The red chairs, the tin ceiling, the Edith Piaf soundtrack. In the wrong hands, this sort of total immersion could be cloying. But at Paris Bistro, the food is the star of the show and that is as it should be. Even the least expensive green salad is a triumph of delicatley balanced greens and infusion of dressings. The beef is perfection, the potatoes au gratin are rich and peppery. I can't say enough about the cuisine. The only drawback of this charming bistro is that the tables are a little too close together, and at the peak of the dinner rush, customers are hemmed in way too close to one another.Special Features:
- Excellent eveeningLucyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was just perfectly prepared, service could have been faster but the attention was there and the waiter was excellent. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breath of fresh air @ Chestnut HillDaveDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful new restaurant in Chestnut Hill, good energy, service excellent, food excellent. They boast an intimate jazz cafe in the basement that harkens back to the 1920's jazz cabaret. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place !RichardVIPDined on 9/10/2014Really good bistro food - needs a little more variety. Our waiter was outstanding but we were relegated to the table closest to the kitchen (yes we had a reservation) and with many other open tables, the hostess would not change our table. "those tables are reserved for other people". We suggested that we be allowed to have one of those empty tables and the later reservation people get "our" table - that did not compute with the hostess. Oh well ...............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.