Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
8229 Germantown Ave., Building A
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.parisbistro.net/
- Phone: 2152426200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Th, Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Al Paris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Thursday through Sunday evenings.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday Open 6:00- Close 12:00 Midnight
Set times 7:00, 8:30 &10:00 PM
Sunday Open 5:00-Close 11:00 PM
Set times 6:00, 7:30 & 9:00 PM
$5 entertainment charge (unless otherwise noted)
No reservations - first-come, first-seated in the cafe
- Cross Street: Southampton Avenue
- Public Transit: SEPTA Route 23 Bus
SEPTA Regional Rail Chestnut East or Chestnut Hill West lines
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking provided in Chestnut Hill Hotel parking lot (access on Southampton Avenue).
Additional metered street parking available on Germantown Avenue and side streets.
A word from Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
Located in the middle of Philadelphia's charming Chestnut Hill neighborhood, Paris Bistro has made quite a splash since it opened in late January 2014. The setting and food are authentic bistro - the crowd is lively and the menu is reminiscent of the many bistros that dot Paris' arrondissement. Downstairs, the jazz cafe features the area's best talent playing a mixture of standards, Great American Songbook classics and music from the Jazz Era of the early 1900's. Make an evening of it with reservations for dinner upstairs and a jazz set after (seating in the cafe is on a first-come, first-seated basis).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (210)fit for foodies (147)special occasion (101)romantic (84)hot spot (83)notable wine list (64)great for brunch (58)vibrant bar scene (56)good for groups (52)late-night find (38)great for lunch (19)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great foodStrawberryDined on 9/17/2014The food was delicious. The service was wonderful. The table was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRENCH BISTRO AT ITS BESTMandesVIPDined on 9/17/2014I can't tell you how much I enjoyed eating at Paris Bistro. The food and the service are great. If you want great food and reasonble pricing this is your place. I had my favorite on Wednesday Coq au vin. This is only served on Wednesday's only. I wish it was offered more that one night a week. Check it out!Special Features:
- Good addition to chestnut hill!FoodloverDined on 9/14/2014Good food, lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, not too expensiveSpecial Features:
- Go for the foodGutessenDined on 9/14/2014Outanding food. French onion soup some of the best but spice twigs were in it. Scallops were perfect. Short ribs topped other a butternut squash ravioli perfect. I'll return if only for the almond cake for dessert. Service was very good and attentive except for one request that was forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDined on 9/14/2014This was our first visit and we had an awesome experience and dining pleasure! We plan to return and celebrate my birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like Eating in NYCRBBPHILLYVIPDined on 9/13/2014The crab and avocado salad is amazing and the sauce is to die for!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food - Inviting CharmYumyumgirlDined on 9/13/2014Everything about this little gem of ambience transports you to Paris. The red chairs, the tin ceiling, the Edith Piaf soundtrack. In the wrong hands, this sort of total immersion could be cloying. But at Paris Bistro, the food is the star of the show and that is as it should be. Even the least expensive green salad is a triumph of delicatley balanced greens and infusion of dressings. The beef is perfection, the potatoes au gratin are rich and peppery. I can't say enough about the cuisine. The only drawback of this charming bistro is that the tables are a little too close together, and at the peak of the dinner rush, customers are hemmed in way too close to one another.Special Features:
- Excellent eveeningLucyVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was just perfectly prepared, service could have been faster but the attention was there and the waiter was excellent. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breath of fresh air @ Chestnut HillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Wonderful new restaurant in Chestnut Hill, good energy, service excellent, food excellent. They boast an intimate jazz cafe in the basement that harkens back to the 1920's jazz cabaret. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place !RichardVIPDined on 9/10/2014Really good bistro food - needs a little more variety. Our waiter was outstanding but we were relegated to the table closest to the kitchen (yes we had a reservation) and with many other open tables, the hostess would not change our table. "those tables are reserved for other people". We suggested that we be allowed to have one of those empty tables and the later reservation people get "our" table - that did not compute with the hostess. Oh well ...............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, Good food !DfreedVIPDined on 9/7/2014Service is very attentive and efficient. Try the onion soup- loaded with cheese and one of the best I have ever had. My wife and I each had a burger that was cooked right for each of us. It was good size on a brioche and loaded with fries. Would definitely recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine DiningdivinedineDined on 9/7/2014The atmosphere, hostess, food and conversation is what keeps me coming back. I love this quality of entertainment and atmosphere so close to home without having to travel always into the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chestnut Hill hotspotSmmphdVIPDined on 9/6/2014Paris Bistro is a legit Parisian bistro complete with steak frites, moule frites, cheese and oyster selection, etc. The decor will take you to Paris except that it is very noisy. Great jazz bar downstairs with live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 out of 3OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Three of us out on Sat night celebrating a b-day. Scallops were terrific, nice carmelization outside, tender inside (portion is on the small side-3 smallish scallops). The ribeye -tender, flavorful & cooked just right. So sad -the Cassoulet was really disappointing. Small piece of duck on the side (very tasty) but the sausage and bean mixture was very salty (i'm a salt lover typically) and flavors didn't blend - it was as if they opened a can of cannellini beans and chopped up some sausage, warmed it in the oven then before serving, doused the whole thing with panko bread crumbs - the panko wasn't even baked/browned on top! I gave it 5 stars anyway b/c we love this place and it's only one dish...looking forward to trying their other itemsSpecial Features:
- Great night!foodnmusicVIPDined on 9/6/2014As lovers of live music, my fiance and I have been wanting to check out this place for a while. I wish we didn't wait so long. Great food. Outstanding service. We ate upstairs and then went downstairs for the live music. Two separate feels to the rooms. Happy and airy upstairs, dark and intimate downstairs. We will be going back.Special Features:
- great brunchGirlsDined on 9/6/2014ALTHOUGH I HAVE EATEN DINNER HERE SEVERAL TIMES, THIS WAS MY FIRST BRUNCH. IT WAS DELICIOUS. I DID HEAR FROM THE WAITER THAT THEY WILL BE DISCONTINUING THIS SOON. THERE WERE THREE OF US AND ONE HAD THE CREPE APPETIZER WHICH WAS GREAT AND THEN WE HAD EGGS BENEDICT AND EGGS FLORENTINE. ALL GREATSpecial Features:
- Great bar, good food, service...mehBusinessLunchVIPDined on 9/5/2014The bar (and bartender) we're great. The front desk staff also were good. The waitstaff is friendly, if in dire need of training. I truly hope this place makes it. The jazz on Th/Fr/Sa is fabulous and the staff will get better. I definitely recommend to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in PhillyJoliVIPDined on 9/5/2014No need to go to France all you need is go to Chesnut Hill , the feel the food are exactly what a small bistro would be in Paris, the Pate is great , the Cassoulet is wonderful and finally you must have the chocolate mousse. Reasonable wine list all French wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryODined on 9/3/2014The food was very good, almost like eating in a Paris, France Bistro. The wait service was excellent; the ambiance was pleasant. Overall experience was very good. Would recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Better than Center CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014I had a fabulous time at Paris Bistro. Everything from the employees to food was amazing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/2/2014My son ordered the Steak Maison to be cooked medium. Most of our food was out in a timely fashion but not the steak.When it finally came and our son cut into it - it was raw!! Sent it back to be cooked some more. The rest of us had almost finished our meal and yet,no steak!!! After much prodding, it came back exactly the same!!Bleeding red inside!The manager outright accused us for not waiting long enough and then pirouetted on his heels, turned his back to the table and sauntered away. A second manager tried to undo the damage and offered my son a free dessert! Needless to say my son left without a meal and we will not be coming back.Philly neighborhoods serve fantastic food with warmth and style- Paris Bistro needs to get on board!
- Je suis en France!BarbDined on 8/31/2014I really felt like I was in France and that was delightful! Terrific atmosphere francais and some great traditional french meals. The cassoulet was really the best I've had in the USA the the pate was excellent. Charming restaurant and lots of delicious food.Special Features:
- Great jazz and food!LadydiDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I went for some great food and entertainment and the Paris Bistro did not disappoint. The food was wonderful and so was the entertainment. Drew Nugent and the Midnight Society was red hot, what a great addition to the entertainment line up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming/Pricey/Worth Another TryAdventurousDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Loved the atmosphere of this cozy bistro and appreciated the consistent but unobtrusive attention of the wait staff. I liked, but didn't love, the food. I've had better escargot, the tomato salad was fine, but not what I was expecting based on the description (it was only tomatoes and toasted bread). The rabbit, served on a huge bed of noodles, seemed heavy for an August night. I would definitely return, but I just think I would choose my fare more carefully. Also, note that the restaurant is quite a bit more expensive than I was expecting based on open table's rating. Our meal for two was well over $125.Special Features:
- DisappointedLoveeatingoutDined on 8/29/2014I was really looking forward to this dining experience having talked with recent diners and reading reviews . Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the experience. I orders the escargot and was under whelmed by the presentation. The plating was difficult, they were small and rather that a rich buttery sauce, they just were sitting in oil. The fricassee was disappointing as we'll. I was expecting more of a white or brown sauce sauce and fount the overall dish lacking in flavor. Lastly the garlic spinach was so garlicky tgat it burned. The noise level wad way to high and I found it difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Oui oui!Hobro4Dined on 8/29/2014Absolutely LOVED our experience! We just moved to Chestnut Hill and this was our first date night in our new neighborhood. It set a high standard for other venues in CH to meet. Great food, service, and ambiance. Definitely going back and definitely recommending this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining for Adults in Chestnut Hillmanger123VIPDined on 8/29/2014I have eaten here a number of times in recent months, and it is a restaurant that continues to deliver. The wait staff can hover a bit too much, but they know what they are doing. The bar makes really good drinks--I am a bit underwhelmed the specialty cocktails, but ask the bartenders to make a Manhattan or martini and they are in their element. The food is consistently very good--the portions are neither too big nor too small. I recommend this place highly--my one objection in the past had been an overabundance of children in what is clearly not, nor should it be, a kid-friendly restaurant. Some of the CH crowd need to discover the time honored institution known as the baby sitter!Special Features:
- terrific "bistro" in Chestnut HilldisasterDined on 8/29/2014All that you might expect in a Parisienne Bistro. Looks great, super menu, staff pleasnt, food delicious. Perfect place for "in town" friends to meet "suburban" friends for dinner. The noise level was a huge distraction. It really made the whole evening a disappointment. We have been to the restaurant a couple of times and last time sat up front at the window thinking that noise would be less. But no ! We will try again but never on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not baddisappointedDined on 8/29/2014After reading reviews, was cautious about noise level but didn't find it to be a problem between 5 and 7 p.m. on the evening we ate there. Conversation could be heard without straining and the music was audible but subdued. Food was good, loved the avacado and crab salad; other choices were adequate but not outstanding. The ambience is pleasant and there were at least two managers circulating and overseeing the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Decent food let down by a serious overkill of garlic particularly in the side of mushrooms Hostess was abrasive when our table for 6 was not ready Good addition to Chestnut Hill,neverthelessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris - DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2014We went on a Thursday evening having had a reservation at 7pm. We were not seated until 730pm and had to hang around in the crowded foyer because the bar was full. The noise limited our conversation. The service was slow and our waiter rather condescending. It took an extremely long time for us to get our entree -- the table next to us sat down after us and finished their entree before our arrived. The food (we both got seafood) was OK but not notable. A staff member noted the slow service and came over and spoke to us at which time we expressed our concerns. He did offer us a free dessert which was OK but not great. Our general reaction is that this restaurant did not live up to its billing and we could get a more enjoyable meal elsewhere.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014What a terrific evening -the food, as always, was great. The oysters divine, the steak fries -with truffle butter prepared just right. The service was attentive but not intrusive. We are becoming regulars.Special Features:
- ZsazsaDined on 8/26/2014Frog legs tough, bland. House salad...too much lettuce and balsamic dressing . too heavy for salad.martini excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French CafeMacysMomVIPDined on 8/24/2014Delicious food and ambience. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris BistroChuckDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant has a very nice dining room. It was recommended by a family member. We went for their Sunday Brunch and arrived at opening. Waitress was friendly and took our order after a short time. Then the wait began. We noticed that the manager was at one time wearing an apron and in the kitchen, then busing tables, then back to the front, similar with other staff. Obviously something was going on, very disorganized. Excuses began about the delivery of our lunch. It finally came nearly an hour after arriving, the runner dropped it and off and we didn't see our waitress to check with us for another ten or so minutes. Service poor. Food was fair. They gave us free brunch I think to avoid review.Would like to try again but unsure.
- quietdinerDined on 8/23/2014Our poor experience was perhaps a one time event, although I suspect that the restaurant is too noisy for our purpose which is generally to have a good meal and enjoy conversation with friends. Service was very slow and in the middle of our meal a very noisy party with one particularly inebriated guest was seated directly behind us. Not only was it difficult to have a conversation after that, but the the already slow and indifferent service got worse with the waiter focusing so much on that party he ceased to see us. He had to be waved down to clear dirty dishes and offer us dessert and coffee which we should have skipped in protest. If we want good food along with a noisy atmosphere we can always go to Parq.
- IslandSmokeHouseBBQDined on 8/23/2014All I can say is that I"ll be going back to PARIS at least time a month. Very special place, in a great location with off street parking. :-)Special Features:
- NoiseDaveDined on 8/23/2014It would have been a good idea to make the ceiling sound absorbent rather than reflecting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with great servicejoliVIPDined on 8/22/2014Dined at Paris Bistro for dinner on Friday night for the first time and was very impressed with the attentive and personal service. From the initial greeting at the entrance to the service from James to the hostess going out of her way to ask how our meal was when we left, the service greatly exceeded my expectations. The food was good, we had the Marsielle Bouillabaisse and the Cassoulet which were both good, however, the Cassoulet was served exceptionally hot and took a very long time to be able to eat it. The nightly dinner specials are intriguing and I would return to try most of them, but it is the service that will bring me back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service,freshbrezDined on 8/22/2014Great French Bistro cuisine! Expert drinks at bar sndr good wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.