Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
8229 Germantown Ave., Building A
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.parisbistro.net/
- Phone: (215) 242-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Th, Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Al Paris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Thursday through Sunday evenings.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday Open 6:00- Close 12:00 Midnight
Set times 7:00, 8:30 &10:00 PM
Sunday Open 5:00-Close 11:00 PM
Set times 6:00, 7:30 & 9:00 PM
$5 entertainment charge (unless otherwise noted)
No reservations - first-come, first-seated in the cafe
- Cross Street: Southampton Avenue
- Public Transit: SEPTA Route 23 Bus
SEPTA Regional Rail Chestnut East or Chestnut Hill West lines
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking provided in Chestnut Hill Hotel parking lot (access on Southampton Avenue).
Additional metered street parking available on Germantown Avenue and side streets.
A word from Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
Located in the middle of Philadelphia's charming Chestnut Hill neighborhood, Paris Bistro has made quite a splash since it opened in late January 2014. The setting and food are authentic bistro - the crowd is lively and the menu is reminiscent of the many bistros that dot Paris' arrondissement. Downstairs, the jazz cafe features the area's best talent playing a mixture of standards, Great American Songbook classics and music from the Jazz Era of the early 1900's. Make an evening of it with reservations for dinner upstairs and a jazz set after (seating in the cafe is on a first-come, first-seated basis).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (158)fit for foodies (109)special occasion (87)hot spot (68)romantic (60)notable wine list (50)vibrant bar scene (47)good for groups (43)great for brunch (34)late-night find (23)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Nice, Cool atmosphere, but pricy.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014I'm glad we went, We had a wonderful experience. The food was good, but not great. We spent a lot more than we were anticipating. The prices were a little much considering the food wasn't the best i ever had. The waitress was good, but not forth coming with information. The Jazz club downstairs was a cool vibe, but we got down there for about a 1/2 hr of their last set and they charged everyone a $5/pp musician fee. So a few after dinner drinks, and $90 later, our tab was about half of our food bill. I don't think i'll be back but it definitely a great spot if you are looking for something different to do and have a lot of money to waste.Special Features:
- YummyMitziDined on 11/18/2014We were. There on the first bitterly cold night of the season. Perhaps for that reason the heat was too. High and seemed to be hitting us right on the head. I'm sure that can be corrected. Othreise we had a good experience and will go back. We would also like to see some American wines on the list. Less expensive wines would be good too. I know it is a French restaurant, but it is in America. Thanks and good luck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchAlexDined on 11/16/2014Lovely ambiance. Delicious, imaginative food. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Totally average, disappointing experienceCHillresidentDined on 11/15/2014My husband & I have been hearing good things about Paris and were excited to finally try it for our anniversary dinner. The restaurant was packed, so there was good energy & the space is very cool. That said, the overall experience was a wholly underwhelming one. Service was quite lackluster - most of the staff seemed as if they could care less whether or not we or other diners were actually there. The bartenders might have been the only exception (we sat at the bar while we waited for our table). As for the food, it was just totally average and didn't strike us at all as inspired. I had the escargot followed by the trout almondine - perhaps the guilt lies in my order, but both dishes were notable only in the overwhelming amount of butter present. It was almost all I could taste with the escargot and my trout (overcooked as well) & green beans were just swimming in a plate full of butter. I barely made it through one of the pieces of trout before giving up. My husband had the lobster bisque which he loved (but, admittedly, said how could he not with a bowl full of cream & lobster?), followed by the salad lyonnaise (he thought this was decent, but nothing noteworthy) and finally the short ribs. We had heard rave reviews particularly about this last dish and it was by far his least favorite - bland and mediocre effort. If I had prepared it at home, it would have been a decent meal, but not something I'd expect from a restaurant or would want to pay $21 for. We didn't stay for dessert - just called it quits after the entrees. Very disappointing experience overall, especially when we've had such wonderful meals at Heirloom and were expecting great things here as well. The biggest difference b/w the two restaurants - besides the style of food - is that Heirloom seems to pay respect for the ingredients and it's possible to actually taste a variety of flavors in each dish. At Paris, it was all one note and none very good. We won't be returning obviously.Special Features:
- SluggerSluggerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great attention to service. Good food and two visits from the Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary atmosphere and staffSimbaDined on 11/9/2014One Sunday brunch, 1 lunch, 4 dinners for 2-4. Magically transported a warm, lively, continental ambience into Philadelphia. Always an enchanting environment, beautifull presentation, with an engaged and highly competent staff. We have always felt well taken care of. Weakness is uneveness of menu. A few dishes are consistently exceptional - especially the salads - but most are bland disappointments.Special Features:
- Brunch in ParisjillcoDined on 11/9/2014I hosted a 50th birthday party for 10 people for brunch. The staff had everything ready and waiting for us and welcomed us warmly. Everyone loved their brunch. Definitely go to this charming and delicious spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Except for the noise level, this is an outstanding place to eat!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRENCH FOOD AT ITS BESTMandesVIPDined on 11/5/2014I chose to eat here for my 26 wedding anniversary because I think this is one of the best places to eat. The cost is reasonable as well. One thing that many restaurants do not do is give a complimentary dessert which we got one for me and one for my husband. What a great touch from the manager! This are the little details that make you want to come back all the time!!!Special Features:
- 2x in 2 nightsmanger123VIPDined on 11/5/2014I love this place--had back to back business dinners here with different clients--they all loved it. Great food. Great and affordable wine. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go and go oftenmanger123VIPDined on 11/4/2014I went two nights in a row for business dinners--my guests were greatly impressed. We had first-rate food, great, affordable wine, excellent service. The Domaine du Chapitre is an especially good, reasonably priced red.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of France in Chestnut HillanicknameDined on 11/2/2014Paris Bistro is everything the name promises -- from the decor to the delectable food, it looked, felt and tasted like I was back in Paris, France. And the service was terrific! This time we ate upstairs; we've been to the downstairs dining with live music, which was also wonderful. We're looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICE!gvjsDined on 11/2/2014Our server/waitperson Sal is the best, will request to be seated at one of his tables the next time I go.Special Features:
- Happy to visit againMedia101VIPDined on 11/2/2014I went to Paris Bistro with a friend for lunch recently and really enjoyed the experience. I was anxious to bring my husband so we went last Sunday and I was not disappointed. The food was very good and the waiter was excellent. I am now looking forward to having dinner there so I will be making a reservation shortly. Would definitely recomment as a great Sunday brunch location.Special Features:
- Delightful ExperenceSmileyDined on 10/31/2014We dined at 6:00 p.m. Friday, October 31, 2014. The venue's decor was charming. I took my husband there for his birthday and had a cozy table close to the door. The curtains at the entrance was a great touch, keeping the cold air out and door entrance distractions away from dining guests. Surprisingly, it was much quieter at the door. Our server was professional. The food delicious. After dinner, we went downstairs to the Jazz cafe. Didn't realize you could have dinner with the entertainment. When we go back again we will have dinner in the Jazz cafe instead of upstairs. The space was "intimate", accommodating approximately 55 guests. We were seated at the last table available and the time was approximately 7:15 p.m.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunch experienceFrancophileDined on 10/26/2014We have dined at Paris Bistro several times and enjoyed it very much. The addition of jazz on certain nights was a great pleasure. We tried brunch. It was very noisy and we could not converse - sitting next to each other instead of opposite each other would have been more pleasant. I selected the crepes - traditionally lighter fare; however, it was covered with a gluey mushroom sauce (sitting under a heater for too long?); the chicken inside was dry but abundant. I did not eat much of it. My husband enjoyed his classic eggs benedict. We shall return but not for brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- inappropriate hostess.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014I would not recommend any woman to take her man there for a romantic evening because the hostess is very flirtatious and inappropriate.Special Features:
- Nice eveningCousinsoutingDined on 10/24/2014We had a great evening. Waiter was very attentive. I ordered a burger and asked for it med well. It came very rare. I ate around the outside. The waiter collected my plate and came back because he noticed I hadn't eaten a lot of it. He and the manager made it a point to come over and apologize and took it off my bill. We were impressed with the customer service. Otherwise, the food was delicious. We would would definitely recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- Great addition to Chestnut HillPatWatDined on 10/23/2014Paris has an authentic atmosphere, thoughtful staff, and great food.Special Features:
- Slow start; great finishZenYanniDined on 10/21/2014A foodie daughter recommended this restaurant. We had a 7:00 p.m. reservation and were a bit disappointed to be seated about 7:30. The decor and wait staff are wonderfully "bistro." We can't attest to the wine or spirits (non-drinkers), but the appetizers (lobster bisque and tomato salad), main course (salmon cakes and trout) with sides (mushrooms and cauliflower gratin) were served timely, thoroughly heated and deliciously prepared. I expected portions to be more petite, and, therefore, ordered sides to satisfy our level of hunger. Oops! The main dishes were sufficient American portions; I'd anticipated french portions. We closed the meal with cappuccinos that were spot on terrific. Money well spent.Special Features:
- MimiDined on 10/20/2014This was my second time at Paris Bistro. Both times the waiters were very friendly and attentive. The food was delicious. I had the same thing both times.....Beet salad and the Beef Bourgunione (?) Excellent!!! My friend loved her dinner the first time but wasn't happy the second time. She had a Chicken Crepe. Did not like it. She was not charged for it. I would go back again and I am sure she would too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sbhbDined on 10/20/2014We went on a Monday for buck-a-shuck oysters. They were great!Special Features:
- High hopesJeffVIPDined on 10/17/2014After reviewing the menu we had high hopes. Phoning the restaurant to say that we were running late, we were greeted with "Bon soir"... o.k. touch, but in the background all I could hear was the sound of loud voices. An omen. Paris is a lovely space, all hard surfaces. Tables are close together, as is often the case in Paris, where it works. Here it did not. We could not hear each other to talk unless we leaned across the table and shouted. Oysters on the half shell were fine, but NOT for $28 for 6. The Bouillabaisse was utterly mediocre. Clearly its parts were added to a heavy tomato broth right before serving. No subtlety of flavor at all. Finally, the waiter was ghastly. There aren't enough words... Chummy, ODD, overbearing.Special Features:
- BaileyDined on 10/16/2014Paris Bistro & Jazz Cafe has acieved the perfect balance of being a restaurant that offers extraordinarily good food and service. We will most certainly return and recommend this restaurant as a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeasThoughtsDined on 10/15/2014I visited with three guests. they enjoyed their meals I didn't enjoy the free range chicken which lacked taste or seasoning.
- Love love love it!!JoanDined on 10/14/2014I had steak frites. Tres bon. Always get the almond cake. Marvelous! Really great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Parisian style waitstaffGhazahDined on 10/14/2014We had the most awkward experience with our waiter. He started out seemingly trying to be rude. Then at the end, when he delivered the bill - he turned it on and tried so hard to be sweet. I want Parisian food, not rude Parisian service. The food was good, but not good for the price. I WANT to love it there. This was my second try. I can see them reach for a Parisian bistro here, just does not deliver…except for rude waiters.
- ExcellentBBrunoVIPDined on 10/13/2014Food was excellent. Service was a little slow. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really happy with our experience!Teafor3Dined on 10/13/2014Very impressed! We booked online for Columbus day, and later discovered it was their first time to be open on Mondays. The place was absolutely hopping! On-line we requested a nice table for my wife's birthday and they did not disappoint. I also happened to mention this to our waiter, and when they brought our dessert order, a 2nd waiter stood in front of him until the last moment, to hide the fact that they'd added a lit candle to my wife's dessert. We each ordered something different and were all very happy with the content. Food was excellent!Special Features:
- Avoid the crepesChestnutDined on 10/13/2014I have been to Paris Bistro many times and have never been disappointed until this last time. There were four of us for dinner - two of us ordered the crepes du jour which happened to be chicken. What a mistake. The crepes were dry. The filling was mainly some sort of legume/ bean with a small portion of white meat chicken. The sauce was skimpy and added nothing to the dry and bland dish. The other diners in our party enjoyed the salmon cakes ("Best I ever had," he remarked.) The hamburger someone else ordered was done perfectly and served with a generous portion of fries. My overall suggestion to others is to stick to the basics, which Paris Bistro does well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buck a shucktolisa0269Dined on 10/13/2014my wife & i have been to heirloom many times w/the last 2 visits being less than good. we were a little hesitant about paris bistro. but i can't say enough about the energy in the room. right from the door we were impressed. it was lively w/o being rowdy. the wait-staff were knowledgeable, patient & courteous. the oysters were outstanding (i had 36)! our sides were delectable (mushrooms, sauteed spinach, pomme frites). the beer was tasty as well blending w/my oysters nicely. my wife was very satisfied w/her trout. the physical environment is beautiful. the tin ceiling, the bar set up, the table arrangement; everything is tastefully done. WE WILL BE BACK!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Experiencechocolat60Dined on 10/12/2014We really enjoyed the restaurant from the time we entered with your gracious hostess, Andrea, to our fine waiter (I don't remember his name), but he was very cordial to us. The boeuf was very tender and delicious. My husband enjoyed the scallops, and stated they were very much to his liking.Special Features:
- Not up to previous qualityDeboVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was our fourth time eating at Paris since it opened. Nice atmosphere, good service but the food was not quite as good overall.Special Features:
- First time customerMedia101VIPDined on 10/12/2014I took friend to brunch based on a recommendation from my daughter and I was delighted. The atmosphere is great and the food selection was interesting. I had some the best french toast ever. Will defintely return for dinner and have already recommended it to other friends.Special Features:
- YummyBSmithDined on 10/12/2014I went here with a friend for Brunch. The food was fantastic and the service was as well. We are going back for a special birthday dinner in November.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed experienceluv2gooutniDined on 10/11/2014Very pleasant service. Food was OK but not really as special as we expected. Noise level made conversation impossible. Room temperature too hot. Wine disappointing.
- Paris Fridayhoward2VIPDined on 10/10/2014Paris is extremely noisy when full...practically no fabric anywhere. A medium-rare burger arrived well-done and dry. Other than those things it was fine and is a fun spot with a jazz bar downstairs.Special Features:
- Best place in Chestnut Hillmanger123VIPDined on 10/8/2014I have eaten here almost a dozen times; it consistently delivers quality food at reasonable prices. The wine list is varied, and again reasonable. (ok, we are in PA, so reasonable may be a relative term.)Special Features:
- Very disappointedTheBeanDined on 10/4/2014We went for brunch after having had a delightful dinner previously, but were greatly disappointed. The kitchen was out of croissants and ham, which seems a bit strange for a French bistro. The service was poor and one dish arrived very late, although we were still charged. Not a great experience.Special Features:
- Great food, excellent serviceFayeMay24VIPDined on 10/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. For a cocktail, I highly recommend "La Vie en Rose." The cheese tray is wonderful, as is the chicken entree. We had grand marnier chocolate mousse for dessert which was very rich and perfect if you like grand marnier. The service here is outstanding.