Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
8229 Germantown Ave., Building A
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.parisbistro.net/
- Phone: 2152426200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Th, Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Al Paris
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Thursday through Sunday evenings.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday Open 6:00- Close 12:00 Midnight
Set times 7:00, 8:30 &10:00 PM
Sunday Open 5:00-Close 11:00 PM
Set times 6:00, 7:30 & 9:00 PM
$5 entertainment charge (unless otherwise noted)
No reservations - first-come, first-seated in the cafe
- Cross Street: Southampton Avenue
- Public Transit: SEPTA Route 23 Bus
SEPTA Regional Rail Chestnut East or Chestnut Hill West lines
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Complimentary parking provided in Chestnut Hill Hotel parking lot (access on Southampton Avenue).
Additional metered street parking available on Germantown Avenue and side streets.
A word from Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill
Located in the middle of Philadelphia's charming Chestnut Hill neighborhood, Paris Bistro has made quite a splash since it opened in late January 2014. The setting and food are authentic bistro - the crowd is lively and the menu is reminiscent of the many bistros that dot Paris' arrondissement. Downstairs, the jazz cafe features the area's best talent playing a mixture of standards, Great American Songbook classics and music from the Jazz Era of the early 1900's. Make an evening of it with reservations for dinner upstairs and a jazz set after (seating in the cafe is on a first-come, first-seated basis).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Paris Bistro - Chestnut Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
320 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (222)fit for foodies (151)special occasion (108)hot spot (88)romantic (79)great for brunch (66)vibrant bar scene (63)notable wine list (61)good for groups (52)late-night find (43)great for lunch (23)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Frog legs tough, bland. House salad...too much lettuce and balsamic dressing . too heavy for salad.martini excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French CafeMacysMomVIPDined on 8/24/2014Delicious food and ambience. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris BistroChuckDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant has a very nice dining room. It was recommended by a family member. We went for their Sunday Brunch and arrived at opening. Waitress was friendly and took our order after a short time. Then the wait began. We noticed that the manager was at one time wearing an apron and in the kitchen, then busing tables, then back to the front, similar with other staff. Obviously something was going on, very disorganized. Excuses began about the delivery of our lunch. It finally came nearly an hour after arriving, the runner dropped it and off and we didn't see our waitress to check with us for another ten or so minutes. Service poor. Food was fair. They gave us free brunch I think to avoid review.Would like to try again but unsure.
- quietdinerDined on 8/23/2014Our poor experience was perhaps a one time event, although I suspect that the restaurant is too noisy for our purpose which is generally to have a good meal and enjoy conversation with friends. Service was very slow and in the middle of our meal a very noisy party with one particularly inebriated guest was seated directly behind us. Not only was it difficult to have a conversation after that, but the the already slow and indifferent service got worse with the waiter focusing so much on that party he ceased to see us. He had to be waved down to clear dirty dishes and offer us dessert and coffee which we should have skipped in protest. If we want good food along with a noisy atmosphere we can always go to Parq.
- IslandSmokeHouseBBQDined on 8/23/2014All I can say is that I"ll be going back to PARIS at least time a month. Very special place, in a great location with off street parking. :-)Special Features:
- NoiseDaveDined on 8/23/2014It would have been a good idea to make the ceiling sound absorbent rather than reflecting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with great servicejoliVIPDined on 8/22/2014Dined at Paris Bistro for dinner on Friday night for the first time and was very impressed with the attentive and personal service. From the initial greeting at the entrance to the service from James to the hostess going out of her way to ask how our meal was when we left, the service greatly exceeded my expectations. The food was good, we had the Marsielle Bouillabaisse and the Cassoulet which were both good, however, the Cassoulet was served exceptionally hot and took a very long time to be able to eat it. The nightly dinner specials are intriguing and I would return to try most of them, but it is the service that will bring me back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service,freshbrezDined on 8/22/2014Great French Bistro cuisine! Expert drinks at bar sndr good wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good in all respectsArjayVIPDined on 8/20/2014Seated right away - service person there promptly and very helpful. Good wine list although could use a few more Sancerre options. All three of us had beef short ribs -very,very good. Many other items to try on next visit. A table stop by by owner, Mr Paris was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Lovely Paris Ambiance !DecoGalDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I celebrate our anniversary of the date we met every year, and we decided to try something new other than dinner and a play. Since we vacationed in Paris last summer, this would be an ideal choice. The food was wonderful and especially the escargot ! Service was paced well. My husband's onion soup was extremely hot and took some time to cool down. But we were not in a rush. After dinner, we visited the Cafe downstairs for a drink and music. The band was mellow and also very upbeat. Loved the female singer whose "scatting" reminded us of Ella F. All in all, it was a wonderful evening except for the noise level in the dining room. I will definitely dine here again and bring some friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'd give it a 2nd try...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was as advertised (Parisian Bistro)... Service was only average... Waiter never asked if we'd care for drinks (we'd brought our drinks over from the bar), and there was a 20 minute delay between the finish of our soup/salad and delivery of our entrée. Because the food was that good (and the price right), we'd give it a second try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisydaveDined on 8/15/2014the only detraction was the relatively high noise factor.Special Features:
- a little inconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Crepes are usually good as are the mussels. Meat entrees are not always cooked as requested. Had COte de Beouf, there were 2 pieces one was cooked medium, one medium rare. Leg of Lamb was tough.Special Features:
- Les58VIPDined on 8/13/2014The only complaint we have is that the oysters my husband ordered were VERY small. Charge $2.50 each. Otherwise, nice meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Interesting menu and the food lived up to it. We dined early (6 PM) on a Wednesday in the upstairs room and noise was not a problem. Feels like a French bistro; very comfortable, attentive and friendly server.Special Features:
- Not YetchazzDined on 8/12/2014I would like to see this restaurant become a better than it is. In fact, I would like it to be a gem. That said, it does draw a full dining room. I regrettably found serious problems with some of the simple menu items that I ordered. The potato frites were lacking with too few upright pieces; the bottom half of the container chock full of bits. The mussels were smaller than my little finger nail. I expect larger, plumper mussels . As to the manner of their preparation, the garlic tasted jarred. The usual umami just wasn't there. Consider fresh garlic and Pernod. The noise level rose so high that my dining partner had to remove ear buds. The kitchen was a bit slow for an order requested with cocktails.Special Features:
- So FrenchFilififouDined on 8/9/2014Nous avons découvert cet endroit sur la recommandation d'amis français. Installe depuis quelques mois á Philadelphie nous avons retrouvé les saveur de chez nous. De escargots un cassoulet du fromage et du vin. Parfait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaleVIPDined on 8/9/2014Although Open Table indicated there were no tables available between 11:30 and 1:30 on a Saturday for brunch, when we arrived at 1:00 the place was practically empty. 3 of us ordered Bloody Marys to start and although staff was certainly not busy it took a very long time to get those drinks, Food did come promptly and was quite good. Sadly we had much better food and service the time when we went for dinner when it was much more crowdedSpecial Features:
- Fantastique!AndyeDined on 8/8/2014Dined at Paris Bistro again. The food was fabulous with one exception. The escargots bread crouton topping was salty. However, the bouillabaise was perfect as was my husband's chicken. My dining partners got the cassoulet and crepe and loved them too. I'm so glad that there's a real gourmet restaurant now in Chestnut HillSpecial Features:
- Reservations ?CharlieVIPDined on 8/7/20143rd time dining here...food, service, etc are good for a bistro type setting. Made an open table resv over 1 week ahead for a Thurs night for 7:30. Hostess called day of to double confirm. We arrive on time, table not ready until....8:10! Hostess very apologetic and pleasant, but don't you think at the least an offer of a round of drinks for our party of 4 would of been the right move ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food...HamchiDined on 8/6/2014Paris is a newer Restuarant in Chestnut Hill and it was a second time eating there. The food is scrumptious, the wine is good, and the service is friendly. The only part that needs improvement is the tables are crammed together. You feel like that you are eating on top of the next patron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodRichDined on 8/5/2014This was our second trip and we had a party of 6. Everyone ordered something different and it was all fabulous. I can be pretty tough but I thought the food was terrific -- even better than our first trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh LA LA!DoreneDined on 8/5/2014We recently went to The Paris Bistro for the first time. It was a weeknight, but very busy and essential to have reservations. The atmosphere is exceptionally friendly and I loved the selections on the menu that are so specifically French: only French wines, frog's legs, rabbit, escargot etc., The food was delicious and we plan to go again soon. The prices are well in line with the neighborhood and the relaxed atmosphere is just what you want. Even the other diners seemed relaxed and friendly. We want to come back soon to sample the live jazz and enjoy the ambiance of an imagined Paris in the 20's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedparis4us2014Dined on 8/5/2014We had a 5:30 reservation and were looking forward to Short Rib Beef Bourguignon. Imagine our disappointment when we were told by our waiter that it would not be ready until 7 pm. It seems to me that if an item is on the menu that it should be ready for all guests. The French Onion Soup was the best I have ever had. My second choice Skate wings were delicious but overseasoned. My partner was disappointed with the Salmon Cakes. Our waiter was very professional and attentive to our needs. Her also spoke to us in French. How delightful. I felt like I was back in Paris, France.Special Features:
- Second visit very disappointingLuanneKlondykeDined on 8/5/2014First visit was excellent. Oysters, red/yellow beet salad, veggie crepe & rabbit w/ a white wine special bottle for $28. Our waitress was friendly, the rabbit outstanding. On this our 2nd visit, the rabbit again wasvery disappointing. We also tried the new menu item, salmon cakes. They were overdone, dry and small. The beet salad this time was huge slices of red beets, more than 4 inches in diameter, hanging off the plate. It was $1 oyster day but our waiter never mentioned it nor did the chalk board of specials near the bar. He served well but was too formal and tight for a place this casual. With one hit and one miss we will give this another try.Special Features:
- Food Hit or Miss; Service LackingSuburbanFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014First time at Paris on a Saturday night. Found some menu items to be quite good (custard, escargot, cassoulet, desserts), some to be lacking (crepe of the day, spinach) and execution to be poor. Interminable delay between courses, coffee was served far in advance of dessert and was cold by the time dessert arrived. Our waiter apologized profusely for the wait, but it detracted from the experience and we do not plan to return.
- Impressions of Paris Bistrophillygal215Dined on 8/2/2014While the food was very good and the plating very pretty, I think the serving sizes are quite disappointing considering the prices. I ordered the short rib beef dish and got two table tennis ball sized pieces of meat, barely a whisper of chard, one ravioli, and two miniature carrots. Disappointing. Additionally, I felt that my waiter was a bit steely in response to an inquiry that I made with him. The creme brulee was excellent! I would return for that, and also to check out the jazz cafe.Special Features:
- Tops in servicelabanwannabeeVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a wonderful dinner, have been there a number of times and never fails to deliver. We were never rushed and felt as though we were the only patrons in the restaurant. The service was great, we had a small accident at the table with some wine and the server(I believe she was Romanian) was exceptional in handling the situation. I also appreciated the gesture by the manager to handle any cleaning that might be needed. Just a great evening overall, please let them know.Special Features:
- All That Jazz!BryanVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was my second time here and we actually went downstairs to the Jazz Cafe to eat and listen to some great music. The menu is amazing down there and we loved it! Note, there's a $5 entertainment fee per person, but it's well worth it. of course. We'll be back!Special Features:
- TOO noisymaw1947Dined on 7/31/2014My second time here. The food was good. Service was terrible. Maybe I'll go back again-it's not a given. If you want a romantic spot and or a place to have a conversation, Paris is NOT the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!momandmoma1990Dined on 7/30/2014Paris Bistro came highly recommended and it did not disappoint. The food, service and atmosphere were all excellent. It felt like a true "Paris" bistro, not just one named for the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was very good as was service. Although very busy, we did not feel rushed at all. Not an extensive wine list but some good choices and interesting signature cocktails. Desserts were wonderful. Although noisy, we sat towards the back of the restaurant, off to the side, which seemed to be a bit quieter. All in all a very enjoyable experience. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefJoyfulDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I enjoyed a delicious meal. My hat goes off to the chef.Special Features:
- A lovely experienceMandolinTimDined on 7/26/2014The wine list is extensive...there is something for everyone. I had a tasty Cote du Bouef with potatoes gratin (with a touch of rosemary) My wife had scallops accompanied by a potato and parsnip puree which was to die for. Service was attentive but never intrusive. Fabulous desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFoodGreatFoodDined on 7/26/2014I absolutely love this place. It can get loud which makes it hard to hear the waitress, especially when the waitress is of French origin. I loved the food. They got my order wrong, but were quick to make me the correct order. The manager was very apologetic and very kind. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Like a quick trip to ParisGlensideDined on 7/26/2014Although it's difficult to get a reservation at Paris Bistro, once we arrived on a Saturday evening we were seated promptly, and were not rushed at all through the meal - which really did feel like dining out in Paris. The food was very good, with classic French bistro selections. The wine list was just right to complement the menu. Our only complaint is that it's a little noisy, but that does lend an authentic bistro atmosphere. Very nice night out, we will be back and have already recommended to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say what???ChickieBVIPDined on 7/25/2014A great lobster bisque, excellent crusty bagettes and good nicoise salad were pretty much ruined by the incredible din that made conversation with our friends a screaming match. My husband's rabbit ragout was good but just somewhat under-tasty. My friend was not happy with her cassoulet, a hearty bean-and-meat dish that should bring a sigh of contentment. Her sigh was about what she'd have to do to doctor up the leftovers. Our waiter mispronounced several of the French names -- admittedly a very snooty problem but one that shows a lack of caring for details by the management. Though this is in my neighborhood, I would go back to listen to the music, not to eat.Special Features:
- Always fun and tastyEyeBVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very effective feeling of a Paris bistro in setting and food. Quite delicious, excellent value, very attentive staff.Special Features:
- PARIS BISTRO AT ITS BESTMandesVIPDined on 7/23/2014This has become one of my favorite spots in Chestnu Hill. It is like a small bistro from Paris. The food is excellent. You must try it!Special Features:
- Great food, but TOO NOISY!lac48Dined on 7/22/2014The food was great: fresh, well prepared, great presentation and delicious! We loved the ambiance/decor. The waiter was attentive. We ate in the main (street-level) dining room. But...please do something to lower the noise level!!!!!! We could hardly hear ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.