2055 Bond St.
Charlottesville, VA 22901Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://p38cville.com/
- Phone: 4349233838x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
Thursday - Saturday: 11:00 am to 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Parallel 38
Parallel 38 will be the first to create an atmosphere where all the iconic regions within this parallel will merge. It will not only be a place to relish great food, amazing wine and fantastic beverages, but will also serve as a destination to discover and share the pleasures of these unique regions. A contemporary yet casual environment will allow guests to explore the sometimes perplexing world of wine without pretension. Our wine program will offer over 70 wines by the glass, along with 100 bottles from handpicked boutique wineries with an assortment of over performing staples, exotic varietals and unexplored regions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Parallel 38 - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Parallel 38 reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)notable wine list (29)special occasion (23)great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (10)romantic (10)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Tasty tapasTravels4FoodDined on 8/23/2014Celebrating the flavors of the 38th parallel, the menu has lovely tapas with Mediterranean and Spanish touches. We shared a trio of spreads, two salads, fish, steak and scallop dishes and a side of their buttery mushrooms. And our wonderful waiter, Shannon, suggested the Lemon olive oil cake and almond cookies. All enjoyed with a nice Spanish wine blend. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice adult eveningmjmlbruggDined on 8/22/2014What a fun place to experience wonderful wines and cocktails with eclectic munchies. Our waiter wasn't very helpful but the owner was incredible with his wine knowledge and cocktail creativity.Special Features:
- An Award WinnerTFB353VIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had another great dinner at P38. Before commenting on the food I want to mention our outstanding server, Johnny Garver. As a former sous-chef his understading of the menu and passion for food results in great recommendations not only for food but also wine. I think the food is great but don't take my word for it. P38 was just named Best New Restaurant in the Cville Weekly Readers Poll and hosted a dinner at the prestigous James Beard Foundation in New York. In a recent article in Cville Weekly the food critic of the Washington Post was quoted as saying,"This style of cooking would be very much at home in a three star restaurant in Washington, San Francisco or New York", after sampling the Beard menu at P38. That's impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencecynnovaVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a great experience at Parallel 38 for lunch. Our server was friendly and gave plenty of good recommendations as to what to order.Special Features:
- Great finddebwDined on 8/7/2014We were visiting Charlottesville and Paralle38 was recommended by a friend. The staff was very friendly and attentive. There were four of us and we had fun ordering 3 small plates at a time. After we finished that course the waitress came back for the order of our next round. It was a very fun way to order dinner and eat at our own pace. The food was the star attraction of the night. We started with a delicious cheese and meat tray and our first bottle of wine. We ended up ordering a second serving of the vegetable dish, Samfaina, it was so delicious. Our other favorites were the gnocchi, pork belly, and lamb loin, but all the food was great. A very enjoyable eating experience that we will do again on our next visit to Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small plates yumsilversupperVIPDined on 8/1/2014Warehouse look, open kitchen, in outdoor mall, but great small plates if you are adventuresome. Idea of mix of foods and flavors from 38th parallel delicious, creative and fun. Service very attentive, but a tad slow. It was Friday night, but early. All in all, positive evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding addition to C'villeCharlottesvillianVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great tapas style Mediterranean menu. The choice is not overwhelming - but the spectrum is just fine. Fantastic unique items on the menu - e.g. white anchovies, spicy tuna tartar, go along fine with a huge selection of wines, many of which can be ordered by the glass. Great dinner before a movie, or just a dinner. The decor is rather simple and modern, keeps you focused on the food and wine. Overall a great addition for foodies in C'ville. Service was great.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/27/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday. The service and food were beyond our expectations. Very nice touch when the owner stopped by our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates -- the way to gotonysueDined on 7/12/2014Ate out doors, which was good and quieter than inside. The small plates selected all came with great flavors. The meatballs, however, were over done. We started with half the recommended # of plates and then added one more. In the end we were more than satisfied by the quantity and totally satisfied by the tastes.Special Features:
- Great find while on vacationfoodloverVIPDined on 7/10/2014We happened upon this restaurant as it was near our hotel. We were pleased it was on open table. The drinks were good and the food was small plates style. We ordered 4 for the 2 of us. It was plenty. The restaurant catered to our dietary restrictions. And it was delicious. We sat outside and enjoyed the evening. Is go back if I was here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didn't work for mePrahaDined on 7/6/2014Brought five friends, most I think liked it. I'm vegetarian. The veggie dishes were all a bore, 'cept gnocchi, and everything rather expensive, prob. won't be back. Phil Mandelkorn
- Perfect Birthday for FoodieSuzenDined on 7/3/2014Delicious and interesting food and wine, lovely service, quieter outside. We loved the little dishes to share. I almost never go out to eat -- it's almost always disappointing. This? This is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb cocktails & amazing food!mermaid242Dined on 6/29/2014Best hummus, labneh, and cocktails I have literally ever had in my life. It's a beautiful and perfectly clean space and the service is phenomenal. You will not be disappointed here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste, don't listenthecroneDined on 6/28/2014This is a wonderful restaurant - sourcing and preparing food thoughtfully, safely, deliciously. The staff is knowledgeable and being well trained. The space is beautiful, but not human friendly. One feels exposed in the center of the room tables, by the unmitigated glare of the setting sun, by the too high ceilings, and the endless reverb of the loud, but indistinct music. I love this place, but wish I could get a little more cozy with my own self and with the conversations I am sharing with those with whom I dine.Special Features:
- Great potential, very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/24/2014Parellel 38 had a very nice atmosphere but overall we were very disappointed in the food. And we are foodies! The food had little flavor and the portions were small but expensive - even for tappas. We ordered 6 dishes to start for 4 people and only one was good. We stopped ordering and left hungry because we were so disappointed.
- CourtDined on 6/18/2014Reading the recommendations on Parallel, it did not disappoint. the small plates are wonderful way to try a lot of combinations of items. Service is very attentive and friendly. The wine selection is very board and well thought out. great place for after a movie to have dessert and wine. outdoor patio will be the place when the weather is a littler cooler. Overall great job.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Very interesting menu of small plates. Everyone one we tried was very good. Excellent wine list - many by the glass. We will go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for a great mealPEfoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food is fabulous. Interesting and creative use of spices, combinations and tastes. The wine list complements the food well with a very good selection of wines by the glass. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovatively prepared dishesl3wwlDined on 5/25/2014We were a little surprised to learn the restaurant served small tapas-style plates. So a little more expensive than expected; however, the food and drinks were all innovatively prepared and tasty. Bronzini and lamb were deliciously prepared. Portions were small so we ordered a second plate of the bronzini. Scallops were perfectly cooked though the marinade a bit overpowering. The greens with the scallops were also a bit too spicy. Flat bread was great.Special Features:
- Grad dinnerBenVDined on 5/18/2014Came here after UVA final exercises -- what a great experience! Great drinks, great food. Just a great choice.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014I love this restaurant - it was a great addition to the Charlottesville restaurant scene. We will definitely be back! The shrimp is my favorite thing on the menu. The goat cheese creme brulee for dessert was also amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New GemRachelKVIPDined on 5/18/2014Everything about the food at Parallel 38 was wonderful. My only complaint is with the hostesses. We had made a reservation, and as we were walking to our table, we asked to sit at a booth, as my mom walks with a cane and the booth was much higher (therefore more comfortable to get in and out of) than the stand-alone tables. While there were ample open seats, the hostess said they were unavailable, as it was University of Virginia graduation, and they needed the space for large groups. However, less than 10 minutes later they seated a two-top of young women where they could have easily sat us. It annoyed us, but we would happily recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food amazing but service lackingPercyDined on 5/17/2014We were very impressed with the food, both the options and quality. Very impressive! The lamb strip loin is amazing! Our server must have been new to the industry, and made rookie mistakes like opening our wine at the bar instead of at our table, not letting the French press coffee steep long enough and then pushing it so fast it was full of grounds, things like that. Nothing horrifying, but when you pay that much, you expect to pay for excellent service, not just food. But he was very nice and overall it was a very enjoyable experience. We will go back again, I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UVAFanDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant was great as a semi-formal celebration dinner.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!WaVaDined on 5/10/2014Great menu! We love to try new and interesting food, and the tapas sized dishes made it easy for us to share a wide variety of food. Great service. The dishes came to us as they were ready so it seemed like we had a steady stream of food coming to us the whole time. Trendy atmosphere with open kitchen, not a good choice for romance (not a problem for us, it's all about the food). I think my kids would like it, but they are 11 & 13 and not too picky. Didn't ask if there is a kids menu. We both had to drive to pick kids up at 2 locations afterwards, so didn't get to check out the wine list - next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 40 reviews are from the Parallel 38 reviews archive.
- Tasty but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Parallel 38. The variety of food choices is wide but every dish is fairly expensive when you consider how little food you get.Special Features:
- great service, ok foodvturtlesDined on 5/2/2014the service was excellent, food came out promptly. However, the food is just ok. The portions are tiny, even for tapas, and the price is high. The mixed drinks are not really that good, but they do have a great wine list. For tapas I will stick with the local restaurant "Mas", they have great food with appropriately sized tapas portions at good prices. And, their cocktails are tastier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spot!stimpaticDined on 4/26/2014The flavor combinations are surprisingly divine and the wine list impressive!Special Features:
- Overpriced but decent foodKartikDined on 4/18/2014Good find -- veggie tapas is nice although a bit overpriced.. without alcohol, we all ended up spending about $30 each which seemed like it was a lot!Special Features:
- Dinner at Parallel 38LuvBirdsDined on 4/18/2014Food tasted great and was beautifully presented but this place puts the "small" in small plates. Dropped $85 and left there hungry. Don't see the value. This place is a great benefit to the frozen yogurt shop across the streetSpecial Features:
- A New Star in TownTFB353VIPDined on 4/16/2014I will only write a review when a restaurant is really good or really bad. I'm pleased to report Parallel 38 is really good. My wife and I recently attended a wine dinner at this newly opened restaurant and the meal was excellent. We decided to return and to see if ordering off the menu would produce the same positive experience. Everything we had was terrific. I have not been a gnocchi fan but I am now. Highly recommend the small lamb chop, the shrimp, the panzanella and the white anchovies. This is a tapas restaurant so if you have ever written in a review "the portions are too small", it's probably not for you. The prices are reasonable for the portion size and food quality. Our server, Johnny, was excellent. Will return soon.Special Features:
- Mediterranean small platesMelftVIPDined on 4/11/2014Parallel 38 offered a great array of vegetable and protein dishes. I especially enjoyed the zucchini & tomato dish with lebneh as well as the lamb tartar. I would also highly recommend the lemon olive oil cake! Personally, I would reserve this restaurant for special occasions as it is a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!!!FoodieSnobDined on 4/10/2014Food was expertly prepared, drink list was fantastic! This is a tapas restaurant, so plates will be small (and prices somewhat higher for the relative portion size), but everything we had (besides the goat meatballs, which were dry) was delicious!!! I highly recommend the anchovies, sea bass, olive tapenade, any of the cheeses. It was a super-fun restaurant/atmosphere, and the service was AMAZING (a welcome change for normal Charlottesville Restaurants). It was a bit pricey, but pretty much on par with what you'll get at an upscale restaurant around town anyways. I would definitely recommend this place as a "must try once" at least! It definitely gives "Mas Tapas" a run for its money, without the wait and hard-to-find parking!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for Ryan as your serverCvillieFoodieDined on 4/8/2014He was incredibly helpful and attentive. One of the most polite and engaging servers I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incrediblerpizz5687Dined on 4/4/2014Tapas style has always been our favorite and Parallel 38 was above and beyond our expectations, the food was amazing and the drinks were creative, beautifully crafted...and unparalleled. Sorry, had to do it. Truly amazing dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit not up to the 1stOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014We loved this restaurant on our first visit - everything was exceptional. On the second visit, ordering many of the same items, I would only recommend it with qualifications.Special Features:
- OverpricedJP01Dined on 3/28/2014Great Location and Great Service. Food was "ok"...nothing remarkable. Way overpriced for tiny portions (even by Tapas standards). Our party of 2 paid $100, but left hungry.
- Great foodfoodie90Dined on 3/27/2014This is a tapas place so the two of us had maybe 6 plates + dessert - shrimp + chorizo, lamb chops, scallops, etc. I can honestly say each and every plate was delicious. I didn't care for dessert, though, which was a goat cheese creme brulee. It seemed from the menu like they were trying a little too hard to squeeze the Mediterranean theme in. The poached pears apparently have dehydrated olives, etc. I do like a savory dessert, but the goat cheese overpowered the custard. The place is in the movie theater shopping center on 29, so the atmosphere is miles away from being on the downtown mall, but I think the quality of the food makes up for that. There were a couple tables of groups and the set up seems good for that FYI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tapassowardskDined on 3/25/2014We visited on a rather quiet Tuesday evening and had a nice meal. The wine list was was decently extensive and had more than the usual cast of characters. The Greek whites we chose turned out to be very nice. The special soup was a tad salty for my taste but had excellent flavor regardless. In my mind the labneh stole the show. Very attentive waitstaff make this a nice spot to share small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty!bucketinvaDined on 3/22/2014Loved the cheese selection and the tapenade and hummus platter was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.