2055 Bond St.
Charlottesville, VA 22901Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://p38cville.com/
- Phone: 4349233838x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
Thursday - Saturday: 11:00 am to 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Parallel 38
Parallel 38 will be the first to create an atmosphere where all the iconic regions within this parallel will merge. It will not only be a place to relish great food, amazing wine and fantastic beverages, but will also serve as a destination to discover and share the pleasures of these unique regions. A contemporary yet casual environment will allow guests to explore the sometimes perplexing world of wine without pretension. Our wine program will offer over 70 wines by the glass, along with 100 bottles from handpicked boutique wineries with an assortment of over performing staples, exotic varietals and unexplored regions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Parallel 38 - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Parallel 38 reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)notable wine list (25)great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (16)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (12)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Food & service were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent, and the service was great. Noisy, but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What? I can't hear you!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014As before, the food was enjoyable, some plates more than others. We had the same server as our first visit there, who was well-informed, and competent. However, this time the restaurant had a lively bar scene - someone's birthday possibly, lots of loud noises from the bar area, and the cavernous design really didn't pay off for us. Every surface is hard and resonant - we could not hear one another, at a table for four, as far away from the bar as possible in that space. It changed the entire dining experience for us from an enjoyable one to an effort, which we were relived to escape. In addition, they are now apparently delivering food to the table using a team, so the server was unable to pace how plates arrived. The timing was really off.
- Great place, wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Tapas style dining inspired by cuisine along...take a guess...the 38th parallel! They have an extensive wine list, 100+. Have only been there once so far, but favorite dishes: Tapenade (I could swear it had eggplant and cilantro in it) and the grilled lamb, which was delicious! I'd love to try their artisanal cheeses and meats. As far as noise levels, it was actually more quiet when we went - dinner in the middle of the week. But there were quite a few people there.Special Features:
- A great find in CharlottesvilleJaceVIPDined on 10/11/2014This was our first time at Parallel 38, and we were not disappointed. The restaurant has a cool, modern vibe, and the tables are nicely spaced. We enjoyed every single dish (8 total for 3 people), but the standouts were definitely the pork belly, scallops, goat meatballs, and tabouleh. Tanya, our server, was excellent and swooped in at just the right times. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Unusual flavorspeterDined on 10/3/2014Renovated warehouse look (high cielings filled with pipes vents) creates a noisy environment. That said, the food here is full of unusual flavors most of which are very good. Servings are tappa sized. Calamari was zesty and flavorful though I've never been a raw calamari fan. The potatoes were just OK, but the lamb was to die for. Beets and carrot salad was excellent. Service was pleasant but occasionally slow, as when we first sat down and, as so often happens, when waiting for the check. When the food started coming it was very good. Location is perfect for movie goers as it is adjacent to the Regal complex and you can park under cover right behind the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic TapasBigBzyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Everyone needs to be a little adventurous to dine here. We had our high school and college age boys with us and they didn't complain, but I think it was a little to exotic for them. Meanwhile, the rest of us revelled in lamb tartare, goat meatballs, and wonderfully medium rare lamb loin, all with interesting blends of spice and garnish. Sharing worked very well as with a typical tapas restaurant. The menu seemed to favor eastern Mediterranean and probably didn't cover all the lands of the 38th parallel, but the dishes were unique and very well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdayDoublrrDined on 9/27/2014Chef Alfredo brought a new and really cool menu, add great service from Tanya plus great food and you have hit the trifecta. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool theme many wines by the glassOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/25/2014Parallel 38 has a unique theme and integrates wine from across the world ... over 100 by the glass. I recommend the top-ranked Malbec, but not the Lebanese wine. The tapas style servings are varied and match up well with wine. I recommend the cheeses, shrimp, meatballs, and scallops.Special Features:
- Another Great MealTFB353VIPDined on 9/24/2014My wife and I had another outstanding dinner at this award winning restaurant. First, we were well taken care of by our server, Tanya. The concept of P38 is to offer a diversified selection of small plates. There are so many great things on the menu it's difficult to make a recommendation but one pairing is exceptional. I highly recommend the roasted pork belly (with cipollini onions and roasted garlic sumac) paired with the citrus potatoes (with lemon and pepper garlic aioli). The flavors from each plate are complimentary and creates something very special. Try this combination and I guaranty a "Wow" moment especially if you pair them with a nice Barolo from the great wine list.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & Congenial Servicejlf10Dined on 9/24/2014My husband and I decided to celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary with lunch at Parallel 38, a very happy choice. The waiter brought us complimentary Prosecco to begin our experience. Though the lunch specials looked tempting, we opted for the small plate offerings - a vegetable and a shellfish dish for each of us. The dishes were attractive to the eye and perfectly cooked. Our waiter was very agreeable and eager to make our occasion a pleasant one. The general atmosphere - quiet that day - was just as we had hoped. Enjoy! We intend to go back.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedFoodFunDined on 9/12/2014Unique concept and small plate menu let us try a few different things. Everything was very tasty. And our waiter was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tapasTravels4FoodDined on 8/23/2014Celebrating the flavors of the 38th parallel, the menu has lovely tapas with Mediterranean and Spanish touches. We shared a trio of spreads, two salads, fish, steak and scallop dishes and a side of their buttery mushrooms. And our wonderful waiter, Shannon, suggested the Lemon olive oil cake and almond cookies. All enjoyed with a nice Spanish wine blend. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice adult eveningmjmlbruggDined on 8/22/2014What a fun place to experience wonderful wines and cocktails with eclectic munchies. Our waiter wasn't very helpful but the owner was incredible with his wine knowledge and cocktail creativity.Special Features:
- An Award WinnerTFB353VIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had another great dinner at P38. Before commenting on the food I want to mention our outstanding server, Johnny Garver. As a former sous-chef his understading of the menu and passion for food results in great recommendations not only for food but also wine. I think the food is great but don't take my word for it. P38 was just named Best New Restaurant in the Cville Weekly Readers Poll and hosted a dinner at the prestigous James Beard Foundation in New York. In a recent article in Cville Weekly the food critic of the Washington Post was quoted as saying,"This style of cooking would be very much at home in a three star restaurant in Washington, San Francisco or New York", after sampling the Beard menu at P38. That's impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent small platesPeterVIPDined on 8/20/2014Two of us shared 6 dishes, which was plenty. This included a cheese plate, rock hen, salami, mushrooms, and shrimp. The bloody mary was also good, but very spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencecynnovaVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had a great experience at Parallel 38 for lunch. Our server was friendly and gave plenty of good recommendations as to what to order.Special Features:
- Great finddebwDined on 8/7/2014We were visiting Charlottesville and Paralle38 was recommended by a friend. The staff was very friendly and attentive. There were four of us and we had fun ordering 3 small plates at a time. After we finished that course the waitress came back for the order of our next round. It was a very fun way to order dinner and eat at our own pace. The food was the star attraction of the night. We started with a delicious cheese and meat tray and our first bottle of wine. We ended up ordering a second serving of the vegetable dish, Samfaina, it was so delicious. Our other favorites were the gnocchi, pork belly, and lamb loin, but all the food was great. A very enjoyable eating experience that we will do again on our next visit to Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small plates yumsilversupperVIPDined on 8/1/2014Warehouse look, open kitchen, in outdoor mall, but great small plates if you are adventuresome. Idea of mix of foods and flavors from 38th parallel delicious, creative and fun. Service very attentive, but a tad slow. It was Friday night, but early. All in all, positive evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding addition to C'villeCharlottesvillianVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great tapas style Mediterranean menu. The choice is not overwhelming - but the spectrum is just fine. Fantastic unique items on the menu - e.g. white anchovies, spicy tuna tartar, go along fine with a huge selection of wines, many of which can be ordered by the glass. Great dinner before a movie, or just a dinner. The decor is rather simple and modern, keeps you focused on the food and wine. Overall a great addition for foodies in C'ville. Service was great.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/27/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday. The service and food were beyond our expectations. Very nice touch when the owner stopped by our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates -- the way to gotonysueDined on 7/12/2014Ate out doors, which was good and quieter than inside. The small plates selected all came with great flavors. The meatballs, however, were over done. We started with half the recommended # of plates and then added one more. In the end we were more than satisfied by the quantity and totally satisfied by the tastes.Special Features:
- Great find while on vacationfoodloverVIPDined on 7/10/2014We happened upon this restaurant as it was near our hotel. We were pleased it was on open table. The drinks were good and the food was small plates style. We ordered 4 for the 2 of us. It was plenty. The restaurant catered to our dietary restrictions. And it was delicious. We sat outside and enjoyed the evening. Is go back if I was here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didn't work for mePrahaDined on 7/6/2014Brought five friends, most I think liked it. I'm vegetarian. The veggie dishes were all a bore, 'cept gnocchi, and everything rather expensive, prob. won't be back. Phil Mandelkorn
- Perfect Birthday for FoodieSuzenDined on 7/3/2014Delicious and interesting food and wine, lovely service, quieter outside. We loved the little dishes to share. I almost never go out to eat -- it's almost always disappointing. This? This is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb cocktails & amazing food!mermaid242Dined on 6/29/2014Best hummus, labneh, and cocktails I have literally ever had in my life. It's a beautiful and perfectly clean space and the service is phenomenal. You will not be disappointed here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste, don't listenthecroneDined on 6/28/2014This is a wonderful restaurant - sourcing and preparing food thoughtfully, safely, deliciously. The staff is knowledgeable and being well trained. The space is beautiful, but not human friendly. One feels exposed in the center of the room tables, by the unmitigated glare of the setting sun, by the too high ceilings, and the endless reverb of the loud, but indistinct music. I love this place, but wish I could get a little more cozy with my own self and with the conversations I am sharing with those with whom I dine.Special Features:
- Great potential, very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/24/2014Parellel 38 had a very nice atmosphere but overall we were very disappointed in the food. And we are foodies! The food had little flavor and the portions were small but expensive - even for tappas. We ordered 6 dishes to start for 4 people and only one was good. We stopped ordering and left hungry because we were so disappointed.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Parallel 38 reviews archive.
- CourtDined on 6/18/2014Reading the recommendations on Parallel, it did not disappoint. the small plates are wonderful way to try a lot of combinations of items. Service is very attentive and friendly. The wine selection is very board and well thought out. great place for after a movie to have dessert and wine. outdoor patio will be the place when the weather is a littler cooler. Overall great job.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Very interesting menu of small plates. Everyone one we tried was very good. Excellent wine list - many by the glass. We will go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for a great mealPEfoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food is fabulous. Interesting and creative use of spices, combinations and tastes. The wine list complements the food well with a very good selection of wines by the glass. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovatively prepared dishesl3wwlDined on 5/25/2014We were a little surprised to learn the restaurant served small tapas-style plates. So a little more expensive than expected; however, the food and drinks were all innovatively prepared and tasty. Bronzini and lamb were deliciously prepared. Portions were small so we ordered a second plate of the bronzini. Scallops were perfectly cooked though the marinade a bit overpowering. The greens with the scallops were also a bit too spicy. Flat bread was great.Special Features:
- Grad dinnerBenVDined on 5/18/2014Came here after UVA final exercises -- what a great experience! Great drinks, great food. Just a great choice.Special Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014I love this restaurant - it was a great addition to the Charlottesville restaurant scene. We will definitely be back! The shrimp is my favorite thing on the menu. The goat cheese creme brulee for dessert was also amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New GemRachelKVIPDined on 5/18/2014Everything about the food at Parallel 38 was wonderful. My only complaint is with the hostesses. We had made a reservation, and as we were walking to our table, we asked to sit at a booth, as my mom walks with a cane and the booth was much higher (therefore more comfortable to get in and out of) than the stand-alone tables. While there were ample open seats, the hostess said they were unavailable, as it was University of Virginia graduation, and they needed the space for large groups. However, less than 10 minutes later they seated a two-top of young women where they could have easily sat us. It annoyed us, but we would happily recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food amazing but service lackingPercyDined on 5/17/2014We were very impressed with the food, both the options and quality. Very impressive! The lamb strip loin is amazing! Our server must have been new to the industry, and made rookie mistakes like opening our wine at the bar instead of at our table, not letting the French press coffee steep long enough and then pushing it so fast it was full of grounds, things like that. Nothing horrifying, but when you pay that much, you expect to pay for excellent service, not just food. But he was very nice and overall it was a very enjoyable experience. We will go back again, I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UVAFanDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant was great as a semi-formal celebration dinner.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!WaVaDined on 5/10/2014Great menu! We love to try new and interesting food, and the tapas sized dishes made it easy for us to share a wide variety of food. Great service. The dishes came to us as they were ready so it seemed like we had a steady stream of food coming to us the whole time. Trendy atmosphere with open kitchen, not a good choice for romance (not a problem for us, it's all about the food). I think my kids would like it, but they are 11 & 13 and not too picky. Didn't ask if there is a kids menu. We both had to drive to pick kids up at 2 locations afterwards, so didn't get to check out the wine list - next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Parallel 38. The variety of food choices is wide but every dish is fairly expensive when you consider how little food you get.Special Features:
- great service, ok foodvturtlesDined on 5/2/2014the service was excellent, food came out promptly. However, the food is just ok. The portions are tiny, even for tapas, and the price is high. The mixed drinks are not really that good, but they do have a great wine list. For tapas I will stick with the local restaurant "Mas", they have great food with appropriately sized tapas portions at good prices. And, their cocktails are tastier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spot!stimpaticDined on 4/26/2014The flavor combinations are surprisingly divine and the wine list impressive!Special Features: