600 Stockton at California Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.parallel37sf.com/
- Phone: (415) 773-6168
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Every morning from 6:30 AM to 11:30 AM
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Michael Rotondo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Parallel 37 is available for buy outs of up to 100 people. Please contact Liz Pasha at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in buying out our restaurant for your special event!
A word from Parallel 37
Parallel 37 offers globally-inspired cuisine that is artistically creative, disciplined and intriguing, perfectly paired with wine, beer or handcrafted cocktails. Sourced locally, Parallel 37’s hyper-seasonal produce is farmer-grown, while meat, poultry and seafood utilize sustainable practices. Whether creating your own global journey by selecting from our three-course menu of ever-changing seasonal dishes, or embarking upon Chef Rotondo’s five- or eight-course, market-inspired tasting menus, guests will enjoy an approachable and collaborative dining experience resulting in a unique journey for each table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Parallel 37 - Best Restaurants in Nob Hill ›
Parallel 37 reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)special occasion (36)romantic (21)notable wine list (20)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. The waiter mumbled and walked away as he was talking. The food was sour tasting or salty or both and the wines were not properly decanted and did not complement the food. The hotel itself was lovely. Great jazz in the lounge and we were sent back to our hotel in a private complimentary car, but the dining experience was not what we had hoped.
- MagnificentclubrVIPDined on 11/21/2014My guest and I enjoyed the three course tasting menu w/wine pairing. With numerous selection in each course we selected different items for our samplings. From the Sashimi of Hamachi and Ahi Tuna to the Seared Octopus and Devil's Gulch Rabit Porchetta, each course was expertly served and dramatically presented. The pear dessert was decadent topper to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ... I could give them 6 StarsZiegsDined on 11/21/2014Had the 3-course (4, really) fixed price meal with wine pairings. Chef Michael's creations were both as adventurous and exciting as they were delicious. The somellier was extremely knowledgable and paired wines that not only complimented the flavour and intensity of the food, but also catapulted the experience from 5-star to 6 or 7! An amazing place --- don't let the fact it's in a hotel put you off ... By comparison to many other places we have been in the City, it was head and shoulders above them. The best of my three courses was the 2nd --- a red wine linguine with Dungeness crab paired with an Italian (Piedmont) Barbera. And for those who don't normally consider the wine pairings (I would prefer to pick my own, too), my advice is --- Don't!! With the pairings, you still get great sized pours with perfect sized portions of food (unless you're playing for the 49ers) that will fill you up nicely by the time the Chef's chosen dessert (with dessert wine) lands on the table. We will be back again. It was a definite gem of a find; with outstanding food and drink experience coupled with an excellent staff (Thanks, too, to Carl, our waiter and to Molly at front of house for being so friendly and accommodating).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bag of nutsBradTheManDined on 11/13/2014Restaurant is embedded in the Ritz Carlton.sat at the bar for a late night dinner. Bartender was great and service was excellent. Decore was nice but not necessarily cozy or romantic.On the plus side with the drinks, wine selection, and outstanding gourmet burgers. Yummy. The big negative was the hammach appetizer. Tasted off. Not much there. Special sauces weren't so special-and expensive. You'd send back at any neighborhood sushi restaurant. Overall, I would never eat there if I had the opportunity to make reservations somewhere else in the city-but for a late night snack and a drink it's fine. One last comment-couldn't be more impressed with the service and staff. They were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTomsDined on 11/8/2014Excellent flavors and presentation, very good service. Fairly loud ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choice for diningparellelDined on 11/8/2014I hadn't been to the Ritz Carlton for dinner in over 10 years so was surprised to see this new restaurant in the place of the previous one. It was traditionally luxe and had the food to match including a cheese course served from a glass cheese cart. Today, the space is has a 'modern retro' look which belies the seriousness of the food. Nice chef touches and surprises and the food can be very inventive but not overly gimmicky to my relief. I liked every course and the ingredients were obviously fresh. I do wish some of the portions were bigger! Dessert was included and I appreciated that - and a different one was given to each person in my party. Overall a very enjoyable experience and I may be back next time for the tasting courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food, But Not Fine ServicePrincetonNJVIPDined on 11/8/2014Parallel 37 is in the Ritz Carlton, which wasn't mentioned in OpenTable and which is annoying since I usually avoid hotel restaurants. The space looks like a West Elm: Too bright and uninspired. After days of multi-course SF tastings, I opted for three main menu selections: a soup, followed by a fish and then lamb. The courses were interesting, inventive, well-presented and tasty. There were the usual "chef wants you to have" items. Chocolate dessert was great. My main complaint: the staff was not well-trained and not polished, in either language or action. For instance, I was called "buddy." And a runner paced nearby to remove a course and nearly took it with several bites left. I don't like to be rushed.ne evening.
- Excellent Food Excellent ServiceJerriettesVIPDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I were so impressed by this restaurant, he wanted to go back the next night! It is the perfect place if you are a foodie, but don't want to stomach the whole starched napkin, 3 hour stuffy dinner experience. This was a contemporary, but warm atmosphere with beyond excellent service!! We had a beautiful 6 course meal with wine pairings in less than 2 hours. It was perfect! We will go back again and again. They did have a private room, too.Special Features:
- Good food & serviceSausalitoDinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014We had now huge expectations it was nice that the menu offers 3 courses or 5 or 8. All good options with a good selection of innovative options. The squid ink pasta with the quail egg was a highlight. Service.was easy and appropriate all at a good price point. We had the wine pairings which were great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marie1Dined on 10/30/2014The wine pairings for each 5 courses were superb! The presentation of each course was fit for a painter's palette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRobbieDined on 10/23/2014A quite superb 3 course menu which transpired to be a six courser with an amuse bouche and 2 desserts included with no extra charge. The quality was outstanding, each course being a a beautiful and subtle combination of flavours and textures - and all for $65. The 3 accompanying wines complimented the food beautifully and again an extra sweet wine was served with our dessert. The service was immaculate and friendly. What more can I say - outstanding!Special Features:
- FantasticLove2eatVIPDined on 10/23/2014We love this place! Consistently outstanding!!! The food, the service, the ambiance. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food presentationJoyceDined on 10/18/2014Unrenarkable decor and inexperienced staff. Go once just to say you did it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Fantastic food. Ambiance a bit sterile. But would go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably good Ritz restaurantchuckmac07VIPDined on 10/7/2014nothing special but good food, although a hotel restaurant should not force you to have 4 courses in prix fixe format. nice bar & atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated GemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014We had a terrific meal in a wonderfully comfortable environment. Service was understated and well-informed. We had the five-course tasting menu and it was a perfect combination of styles, ingredients and portions. We were celebrating our anniversary (which I'd noted when making our initial reservation) and we were presented with a special dessert commemorating it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryeatsDined on 9/26/2014Food was fine and the special little chef surprises were great (a sorbet & dessert bite) The restaurant was very empty...6:30 on a Friday night. Hostess was excellent...
- Lovely, romantic, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/21/2014It's rare to find a "hotel restaurant" that is remarkable. Parallel 37 is the exception. The food was a 10 out of 10; service was informed and elegant; presentations were artistic, creative and refined. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDSCFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Selected Parallel 37 at random, had read about it. Went with my wife. We had the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing. Everything was spot on and paired wine was excellent. Specifically enjoyed a 'barnacle' dish and the duck. Service was on par with the food. Will definitely go back. Both of us had a cocktail before the dinner and were very happy with our selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 37 get 100%OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014The best food I've had in years! The service incredible! The ambiance 1st class!Special Features:
- PerfectionwonderfulDined on 9/19/2014Wife and I celebrated our 20th here. One of the best meals of my life. We each had the five course tasting menu (it was more like 7 courses because it included a starter and a melon sorbet palate cleanser). Each dish was perfectly cooked, interesting, beautiful to look at, and delicious. Service was impeccable. The highlight was the duck, which was the best duck either of us have ever had. Truly a memorable meal.Special Features:
- Interesting Selection, great fooddavidtherockDined on 9/11/2014Fantastic food, great mix of flavors. I wish I had the time for the tasting menu as it looked absolutely amazing. I did get to try three great courses and each was fantastic. I had Crispy Octopus, Rabbit and California Lamb and nothing was disappointing. The service was attentive without being too fussy and I felt very well taken care of. Side note about the location: As an out-of-towner I did not know that a tunnel went beneath where the restaurant was and thinking I could just walk there without directions went entirely under the place. If you aren't familiar, just make sure to go up the stairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food without the servicemichaelsfoodDined on 9/11/2014Came here for our 10th anniversary. My wife has hosted business event at the hotel so we thought we'd try the restaurant. Had a drink before hand at the lovely bar. The good service ended there. Our waiter was not only unprofessional - he was absent most of our dinner despite the restaurant being practically empty. Our food was more often served by the bread server who couldn't tell us anything about our dish. Of course, our waiter began showing up around desert and check time. The 1st and 2nd courses were great but the main courses were extremely small. My wife was satisfied with her Halibut, but my "rib eye" was bascically 3 small bites of meat. Desert was very good.
- Beautiful, elegant and deliciousdisappointingVIPDined on 9/11/2014I did not know that this is inside Ritz Carlton (my favorite) nearby. It is not just steak house as the 3 course menu (very reasonable) can be ordered by your likings (but do not forget to include the steak! Yummy) Service as typical as in Ritz is impeccable and quality at par.Special Features:
- Excellent at a reasonable priceDrMDKDined on 9/11/2014We had early reservations because we wanted to attend a show so were first in. As the restaurant filled, guests were quiet and more staff appeared. Service was first class and food was just fabulous. Combinations that I had not seen before that the chef likely tasted and determined that they did, in fact, go together. It was our anniversary and they asked on the way in. Prepared a special dessert treat that was unexpected and delightful.Special Features:
- Dr. Joseph RobbMichaelDined on 9/9/2014Have been in SF for four days now and the best dinner we have had was at Parallel 37. The food and presentation reminds me of Gordan Ramsey's NYC restaurant in the London Hotel in NYC, though ambiance was not close. I expect I wlil book a table there again tomorrow night. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Perfection!YummyDined on 9/5/2014This was a stellar experience for my dh birthday. Zach was phenomenal and the rest of the staff was phenomenal. Not enough adjectives to describe this culinary experience, also thank you to Alex the concierge at the Ritz for recommending this wonderful place. Every course better than the next and the wine pairings were spot on, thank you Parallel 37'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend!AngieinSFDined on 9/2/2014Delicious prix fix menu- all courses cooked perfectly. Solid wine list. Not best ambiance bc it's a hotel restaurant but great service. Brought hubby here for 40 something birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our yummy little secret!SFfoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014This restaurant is our yummy little secret. We seem to have no problem getting a table; the restaurant is quiet enough to hold wonderful conversations in, the food is spectacular and the staff is wonderful. It's like SPQR without the hassle! What's not to like?Special Features:
- A really lovely meallaurelrose11Dined on 8/20/2014We did the 5-course tasting menu. It was really quite good. We had lovely trio of amuse-bouches, and 5 filling courses. The quantity was just right. This particular night, it seemed a bit heavy on cabbage flavors, with cabbage being in several of the courses in one way or another. Overall, a really great experience that my friend and I both enjoyed.Special Features:
- Best meal in SF!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014My husband and I had a fantastic meal! We each had the three course prix fixe meal paired with wine. We were wowed with each course and the wines were paired beautifully! We had asked for a slow paced meal and this request was honored wonderfully! Each course was plated beautifully and the taste was exquisite! We ate at many highly rated restaurants in SFand this was by far the best!
- Parallel 37: MemorableMargotDined on 8/9/2014After moving from Sydney Australia, I have to admit our expectations of hotel food were low. Particularly coming from a city with world class food, we were pleasantly surprised with Parallel 37. The innovative presentation and flavours were comparable with Sydney's best 3 hat restaurants, in fact, it was as good as "Sepia" (Australia's Restaurant of the Year 2014). The sommelier demonstrated expertise in recommending matching wines for our chosen courses and the overall experience was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPoodleDined on 8/2/2014Fantastic food wine service in a Beatiful decor !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night in SFEastcoastfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014We had a wonderful time at parallel the staff was friendly and very passionate about there food and wine, and we soon found out why. The wine pairings were great and the food was amazing the chefs asian twist on traditional meals was a work of art from sashimi style amuse bouche to farm fresh quail with parsnip pure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful venue really good food.pamnessVIPDined on 8/1/2014We visited Parallel 37 without knowing much about it. I didn't even realize it was in the Ritz Carlton. Visually the restaurant was lovely, a mix of flowers, wood and a hint of luxury. The food was really good, not amazing (with the exception of the duck), but really really good. We picked the three course option and enjoyed it very much. The service was a little slow, but the atmosphere was so nice it didn't matter too much. It is expensive, but I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Fabulous FlavorsDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 7/29/2014Each dish uses such a creative combination of ingredients. There are lots of ingredients, but each one tastes so fresh, delicious and distinctive, and yet together they are just wonderful. We had the three course meal the first time we came, and this time we had the five course meal. The transition from one dish to the next was just right. It was a very leisurely evening with good friends but before we knew it, we were having dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 365 reviews are from the Parallel 37 reviews archive.
- Haute CuisineIanMDined on 7/23/2014Very creative food and presentation, and very expensive. Portions are small, so don't go here for a hearty meal. Quality of meat (lamb and beef in our party's case) was, we all agreed, exceptional. I would have liked just one plain thing to offset the richness of the meal, perhaps a real, ordinary bread roll! Wine list is expensive too, take the wine pairings with the meal instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only a great chef can prepare theseDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 7/18/2014I wasn't expecting to like Parallel 37 as I don't like the current trend toward so casual, focus on drinks but the dishes we had were just spectacular. The chef chooses some very unusual combinations but the results are amazing. I didn't want to leave a single bit on my plate! The bouillabaisse arrived "dry" - just the pieces of seafood, then the server poured the broth into the bowl, and each spoonful was so delicious. All the combinations worked so well, no one ingredient overpowering the others, but each contributing to the wonderfully complex flavor of the dish. We had the three course dinner, to which the chef added dessert. We're going back next week to try the 5 course dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal, Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/12/2014My wife and I went here for a meal for our wedding anniversary. The staff were excellent, and it seemed that everyone of them had been briefed it was our anniversary and they took excellent care of us. We had the 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings. The food was outstanding and the wine choices were an excellent compliment to the dishes. Everything was fresh, seasonal and very contemporary. I was a little concerned about going to a hotel restaurant, but it still had a very upmarket vibe. Occasional hotel guest with some spoilt / noisy kids did not take away from a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, can be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/20145 stars hotel but not 5 stars restaurant. Food is fine, environment is fine, but no view, view taken by the bar on the other side, seem like just a breakfast place at the back of the hotel. May be I have high expectation.Special Features: