Paragon - Portland
1309 NW Hoyt Street
Portland, OR 97209Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Paragon - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://paragonrestaurant.com/home.portland
- Phone: (503) 833-5060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Bar Menu: Sunday - Monday: until 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: until 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: until 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Rocky Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site Catering Available.
- Entertainment: DJ Music ( Light House Jazz ) Thursday thru Saturday 9:00 pm to 12:00 pm. Live Music ( Acoustic Latin Flamenco Guitar ) Sundays 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
A word from Paragon - Portland
Paragon is a neighborhood gastropub serving ingredient-driven, honest food, craft beers, unique cocktails and eclectic wines. This trendy Portland restaurant seamlessly combines an art gallery setting with an urban alehouse, creating the perfect neighborhood spot for mingling at the bar or enjoying a cozy dinner with friends at a booth in the corner. The approachable cuisine is grounded in the familiar with new twists and variations that keep things interesting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Paragon - Portland - Best Restaurants in Pearl District ›
Paragon - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (7)special occasion (6)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great atmospheremaclverDined on 11/7/2014Loved everything for the most part! Only down side was the waitress. When you're in an establishment like this one and you say you don't really like something the typical response from the person taking care of you would be to take it away from the table and see if there was something else you wanted. Didn't happen. Her response was I'm sorry you don't like it and then left it on the table the entire meal and even let me order something else. I'll come back but will probably check to see if she's there before sitting in her section. Kinda not cool...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014Came here with my daughter and a friend who doesn't do well with loud restaurants. Staff extremely courteous, re-seating me twice to make sure we were in a place where big groups and the bar music didn't intrude. Good food, lovely and unpretentious decor. Just an easy place to be. Not too expensive, good drinks, good variety. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Constant and goodP2T2Dined on 10/29/2014Our service was great. Our guests were late but we weren't made to feel unwelcome. We all have great food and great service. The bar has a lovely fireplace. It's a favorite of ours. The grilled cheese and tomato soup is always a hit!Special Features:
- ExcellentRestatsVIPDined on 10/26/2014One can have a meal or a sandwich here. We like it because it is convenient, has excellent food, and drinks. We come here often after an afternoon show before heading home.Special Features:
- Lovely spot for brunchArthurJacobVIPDined on 10/19/2014It was a beautiful afternoon in Portland and our table by the "window", garage sized window, was perfect. Great neighborhood joint.Special Features:
- Loved It!DCgirl42Dined on 10/16/2014Loved the area, loved the building with the roll open windows. The food was great and the neighborhood was hopping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchKlassnayadevkaDined on 10/5/2014First time here for lunch and I liked it better than dinner I think! Gorgeous day out so we were able to sit outside. Usually paragon is loud but sitting outside and it being lunch time, it wasn't loud at all. Out server was great! Attentive while not hovering. Can't wait to come back for lunch of brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now More CasualAlmsfpdxVIPDined on 10/1/2014Paragon has scaled back to a more tavern-like theme and it seems to be working well. Much more of a neighborhood restaurant fell then in the past. Had a business dinner for 6 and my clients from New Orleans loved it....especially the pot roast. Wish the had more Oregon wines.. Pet Peeve: they charge $1 per extra anchovy on the Ceaser Salad. Poor idea for a restaurant with meals at their price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JbemoryJbemoryDined on 9/2/2014Love Paragon. High end with not too high end prices. I always feel like I'm getting the best service, the best food, and at a reasonable price. I have been to Paragon probably 8 times, no complaints, no bad experiences. Always looking forward for a reason to go back.Special Features:
- It's Nice Place for a MeallanouritureDined on 8/23/2014I like Paragon very much, but having worked in a restaurant for several years in my youth, I'm also a tough critic. As such, my three star ratings shouldn't be taken as too negative. By my standards, I can think of very few restaurants that provide outstanding service. The service at Paragon is good and pleasant and I'll certainly eat there again. Overall, this is a good place to take friends or a date when you want to go somewhere that's upscale but not too pretentious. The ambiance is nice and the restaurant is not quite as loud as some of its deafening peers when it gets busy. There's no air conditioning, so on a hot summer night, the inside of the restaurant can get pretty warm. Overall, it's a very nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Spot in the PearldulcieDined on 8/15/2014We dined here with a friend who lives a few blocks away. Very friendly and accommodating staff. We sat outdoors on a lovely evening. Our server was friendly, and the food was good. Even better, there were no questions asked when our friend asked them to open the bottle she had brought. We found this unusual and a very nice aspect of this neighborhood spot. Would definitely go here again the next time we are in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, but bad mealjudyDined on 8/12/2014The restaurant is attractive, good waitstaff, quick service, easy to find and park. My lunch (halibut) was not good. The breading overwhelmed the halibut, so I peeled it off and probably had less than four tablespoons of fish. A huge pile of fries accompanied the fish, which were ok, but the meal was dry and rather bland. My friend said her blackened salmon sandwitch was very good.Special Features:
- Tasty food and Cool AtmosphereTheRedLadyDined on 8/9/2014This was my second time at Paragon. My husband and I love the food - we've never been disappointed in any appetizers, main courses, sides, or desserts we have ordered. I love the short rib roast beef! The cocktails are tasty and inventive. The décor and atmosphere make this a fun place to go for date night or a night out with friends. It's especially nice in the summer when the windows are open and you can sit outside.Special Features:
- The following 240 reviews are from the Paragon - Portland reviews archive.
- Long Standing RestaurantRovingFoodieDined on 7/23/2014We ate on three different occassions thinking one was just a bad night. First time mussels smelled bad tried one and did not eat. When we told server the mussels were bad she asked if we would like some others, but we were not trusting of them at that point. you could smell these from 10 feet away. Waitstaff very nonchalant. This last occassion The salmon supposed to have crispy skin. Half was crispy the other half not cooked at all. The salad w/ blue cheese was okay except the blue cheese tasted off like soap or worse. Brisket was tender but no flavor, little salt seemed to help. The dessert chocolate cake and asked for the nights special, coconut ice cream. The cake was dry and at 7:00 p.m. your out of the special dessert.
- Hot & MiserableFish224VIPDined on 7/15/2014We are regulars at this restaurant - and normally love it - but last night when we went the air conditioning was not keeping up with the heat, and the place was miserable. Everyone was complaining - and leaving early. We nicely suggested to the manager to go across the street and buy a few fans, which would have solved the problem. His reply...."if I buy fans, what would I do with them the nine months of the year when it isn't hot here?" For less than a hundred bucks he could have made the it comfortable, and probably sold several hundred dollars more in food just last night. I learned the place is owned by a big corporation - which explains this kind of silly anti-customer thinking. Too bad - otherwise the food and service was great!
- sweetpeaVIPDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant used to be a great gathering place with wonderful food and a good menu. They had the best roasted chickens in all of Portland...with the new chef he took this off the menu and the chicken there now is only passable. Usually very full of patrons, on this Friday night there were only 3 tables of us there. We asked for a table by the window and were told we couldn't sit there....it stayed empty all night along with several other tables by the windows. The new menu by the new chef has lost us...we won't go back.Special Features:
- Date NightChicagoGonePDX17VIPDined on 7/11/2014Began with the mixed greens salad and my partner had the calamari. Salad was wonderful- lightly dressed, apples and blue cheese gave it a sweet bite respectively. Calamari had 2 dipping sauces--partner loved the jalapeño jam and I enjoyed the finger soy. For entrees, I had the halibut on special and it was absolutely delicious. Fish was tender and the set beneath of grape tomatoes, pickled green beans and corn aioli was just delightful. Partner' dish however was supposed to be this spicy hot italian sausage with papparadlle---it was bland, boring, and not spicy whatsoever. Waitress said that the chef was inconsistent and so maybe that's why the food wasn't "on". Creme brûlée was the worst I've ever had...topping had no crunch at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner or Lunch Spotgo2thetuneDined on 6/28/2014Great food, great atmosphere, great service, great drinks. All around great spot to eat and be. Several groups in the restaurant and the bar filled up after the dinner rush.Special Features:
- No more boothshappyeaterDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant too has removed several of its booths. This seems to be a trend. I don't like it. Booths are comfy and give a feeling of privacy and personal space. Bring them back.Special Features:
- xxxxxxxxxxxx1Dined on 6/15/2014Halibut was extremely dry and had no taste. Vegetables were overcooked too. Small portion but I guess that is okay since wasn't good anyway.Special Features:
- ParagongdlkblDined on 6/7/2014We had a nice dinner and the waiter was great. Food was good with nice presentation. Loved the Bourbon Banana Bread Pudding!Special Features:
- Below Average ServicePortlandEaterVIPDined on 6/5/2014Food was good...although they've dropped their Gorgonzola cheesecake and, because of that, we'll likely never return as it was a happy hour and appetizer favorite of ours. Service, however, was horrendous. Waitress was dismissive and incredibly unfriendly when we weren't immediately prepared to order or requested any additional assistance such as more water or table service. She went away for long periods of time and wandered back at her leisure and was seriously detached from making any sort of friendly connection with us. Sat in bar...evening of First Thursday (6/5).Special Features:
- Good FoodSchlotyDined on 6/3/2014Sat at one of the outside tables. Friendly staff and great food.Special Features:
- ExperienceEntertainerDined on 6/3/2014Last minute reservation, able to accommodate, out of town guest impressed with the friendliness of all who we encountered. Attentive to the table. Informative lunch recommendations. Impeccable service, limited wait time for our meals. Food was the perfect temperature and proportions were right sized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!StLeSiDined on 5/17/2014We were very happy with our dinner here at Paragon. We started with the chicken wings and Brussels sprouts, both excellent. The Mac n Cheese is creamy and good, and my halibut was cooked perfectly! Our only complaint was that everything was a touch too salty. Otherwise, great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceJeffVIPDined on 5/14/2014I thoroughly enjoyed this place. Everything about it was nice.Special Features:
- sweetpeaVIPDined on 4/6/2014Love their roasted chicken. Hope they never change the recipe! We can't get enough of it!Special Features:
- Too loud for conversationeatsoutDined on 3/29/2014Four of us went to Paragon on a Saturday evening for their three course meal, part of Portland's dining out month. The first course was a delicate, attractive dish with asparagus and poached egg. The main course was sweet potato gnocchi with pears and gorgonzola sauce. It was far too sweet with too little gorgonzola to inject a contrasting flavor. Dessert was lemon curd with a small spoonful of pureed rhubarb. OK, but something we could have made at home. The meal was acceptable, but we wished the restaurant would have "stepped it up" a bit for March's dining event. Service was fast and professional. Our main complaint was the noise level, which made it almost impossible to talk to each another at our small table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portland Restaurant MonthOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014My date and I were excited to try this restaurant on a busy Friday night. We were seated quickly. It was an either or when choosing the salad and entree and no choice for dessert. We both found the food fair. Nothing to get excited about. Wait staff was very attentive and friendly. I think it would be better for Happy Hour.Special Features:
- Best Service EVAH!lunashellDined on 3/28/2014Dining Month entree choices included a fish, a vegetarian and a meat option. We added several drinks; these were amongst the best cocktails that I have ever had. They were creative and beautiful and really delicious. Our favorite was the "RainCity Raindrop" which we had at dessert. It included rose syrup and rose petal garnish and was yummy/desserty. Jamie, our server, was perfect. We never had to ask for any replacement flatware or water. She brought us extra plates (just because she is so smart and paid attention to how we were sharing.) At the end of our lovely meal she actually had the bar split our cocktail into two glasses. Thank you Jamie for being, hands down, the best damn server in Portland.Special Features:
- Unfortunately, our food (thoughBirthdayDined on 3/28/2014Unfortunately, our food (though good) was very, very slow to come out and our appetizers and salad were completely missed : (Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - skewed to younger folkcurwenVIPDined on 3/27/2014We ate there fairly early in the evening (6pm) which is probably why I gave it only 3 stars for ambiance. The service was very good (both waitress and busboys) and the food was excellent. My pot roast was spot on. However my only negative-ish comment may just be my imaginative but we were seated in a section away from the bar (just us initially) and then a few other couples - all of whom were older than the 20-ish/30-ish crowd in the bar and the lower level. As I say, it might just be my imagination. but I did get the impression that they didn't feel older folks really suited their chosen demographic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ah welljennabeeDined on 3/23/2014There was some issue in the kitchen...our dinner was sweeter than our dessert. But they replaced our meal with something else and corrected the bill. What can you do? It happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Dining Month ChoiceanonVIPDined on 3/22/2014Went for dining month to check this place out. The food was mostly mediocre with a few exceptions. The asparagus salad with poached egg was well executed and a good concept. The coconut gazpacho was also quite good. My cod was over cooked and dried out, though I noticed a better execution at the next table. My dish should have never left the kitchen. My dining companion had the sweet potato gnocchi. It was quite gummy and just very off. The pears did not pair well with it. The lemon curd dessert was fine. The butterscotch pudding was awful and gritty and by far the worst rendition of that dish that I have ever been served in my life. Service was very slow but friendly.
- next time, just drinksSierraDined on 3/15/2014The food was typical bar food. Nothing amazing. My mac and cheese had clearly been reheated. It was oily and tasted nothing like rosemary. The drinks were amazing though, and we would totally go back for just drinks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and good servicedamandaDined on 3/14/2014The food was very good. Very creative using fresh ingredients. Only complain, we both let feeling overly bloated after eating a lot, but not an overwhelmingly large amount of food. We think it could have been overly salted. This is a tiny nit as it's nonetheless incredible hard to balance pleasing the foodie and the typical American consumer who needs a high salt content. Nonetheless it was delicious and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Girlfriend ReunionPeasOnMossDined on 3/13/2014Met with high school girlfriends to enjoy the PDM tasting menu. Overall, the selection was nice, and a la carte menu was still available. Specific items were a little bit salty - but generally nicely assembled and seasoned. Gnocchi was a little pasty, but the sauce was nice and pears were sweet. Butterscotch pudding dessert was richly sweet - almost too much but definitely met expectations. Recommend for a group where palates vary - they offered everything from short rib to grilled cheese sandwiches.Special Features:
- Surprising findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2014Didn't hear much about this place before going but it was very good. Red grape gezpacho was delicious. Braised short rib tender, rich & huge. Sweet potato gnocchi a little too dense and sweet with the poached pears. The richness of both main courses made the rich desserts - lemon curd and butterscotch pudding - almost too much. Overall delicious food, but a tad heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Month Set MenupdxcakeDined on 3/2/2014We went as part of Portland Dining month, which has a smaller set menu. The meat options my fellow diners got looked good, but the vegetarian main course was much too sweet, and added to the grape gazpacho, it was like the whole meal was three courses of dessert. That might appeal to some people, but wasn't what I wanted in my night out. The drinks were good and the service, though slow, seemed good as well. Bottom line, I think they do a better job with the non-vegetarian options.Special Features:
- dining month quantity lowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014My dish didn't have much relative to the price. I got 2 lamb chops and the menu said rack of lamb. 26 dollars. I would've expected an actual rack of at least 3 or more.