Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
41 Tunnel Road
Berkeley, CA 94705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paragonrestaurant.com/berkeley.html
- Phone: 5105498585x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily - 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Paragon Panorama Room can accommodate parties of 20 - 50 people for dining and up to 100 people for cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Paragon Private Events 5105498591x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday night, 8pm - 11pm
- Special Events: Consider Paragon for your next special event. Whether it's a birthday, anniversary, wedding or baby shower, rehearsal dinner or full wedding, we have the perfect location, menu and private dining offerings to fit your needs. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 510 549 8591.
A word from Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
Paragon is a neighborhood gastropub serving ingredient-driven, honest food, craft beers, unique cocktails and eclectic wines. Located inside the landmark Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, Paragon features upscale gastropub cuisine designed by Chef Marcos Sanchez, plus a large selection of hand-shaken cocktails, craft beers and an eclectic wine list. Our famous outdoor deck offers beautiful vistas of the rolling hillsides and on a clear day, a beautiful vantage point of the entire San Francisco skyline. We feature live jazz every Friday and Saturday night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (69)great for outdoor dining (55)great for lunch (32)special occasion (28)great for brunch (23)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (15)fit for foodies (14)romantic (14)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Word to managementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014The restaurant has arguably the best view of the city, after going there for the last nine years I still find the service lacking and attention to the customers needs needs to be improved.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled cheese disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014We recently dined at the Paragon restaurant and all in all enjoyed our meal and time there. The waiter was attentive without hovering, the noise level was low (very important as two members of our party are hard of hearing), the view is beautiful. The grilled chicken and spinach salad was very generous and very much enjoyed as was the heirloom tomato salad. The grilled cheese on the other hand was a disappointment. It may seem odd to order grilled cheese at the Paragon but it was a cold, grey day and grilled cheese with a cup of tomato soup sounded perfect. The soup was quite nice, but the sandwich was dry, barely toasted, and overly full of cheese. I would return to the Paragon, but would go for something other than grilled cheese.Special Features:
- Great dinner on the patioJBCNDined on 8/16/2014The Paragon did a fine job. I had a Saturday reservation, but the dining room was not out of hand and it appeared that one could be seated on 30 min or so. The lounge and interior is more refined than the casual patio where we sat. The seared Ahi was excellent and the flat iron steak was season well and cooked perfectly. Missing from the menu were the mussels and lamb, but there were other options. The $12 cocktails while pricey for my budget were very good. The staff on the patio were casual and extremely friendly which was a nice surprise considering the surrounding high end hotel with more formal staff.Special Features:
- magnificent viewouttolunchDined on 8/14/2014Took a business colleague out on a bright sunny day for lunch. It was an impressive choice at the Claremont hotel. View was spectacular. Food good, price reasonable. Would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar, not so at restaurantRjcampyDined on 8/11/2014I made reservations two days in advance for four and asked that we be seated outside. We showed up five minutes early and were told that there was no outside seating available. We decided to wait, sat at the bar - received good service there - and finally were able to get a table outside after about an hour. It took fifteen minutes to get acknowledged, the waiter was swamped but appeared aloof. We had to ask for dinner ware, drinks, etc. Given that the prices are expensive I would say not a good value. It's a shame though because the Claremont is a neat place even if old.Special Features:
- Noisydws37Dined on 8/2/2014We went on Saturday night to hear the jazz. The restaurant was so noisy (and we were sitting towards the back of the main room) that it was almost impossible to hear the music. The food was ok, I wouldn't recommend going in light of the noise level.Special Features:
- fine, but...litgeekDined on 7/29/2014I planned a working breakfast and lunch for three people; I visited the hotel in advance to insure our specific needs could be accommodated. My pre-planning was ignored. We were escorted to an unacceptable table at breakfast; at the time, there was only one other party dining. We were able to change tables . At lunch we were seated adjacent to the bar at a table for eight, despite a confirmed reservation and watched multiple groups be seated outside which is where I requested we dine. We waited 45 minutes for any acknowledgement by the wait staff. The plus side is the food was good and the validation for reduced parking was a pleasant surprise. Just keep your expectations in line.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had my birthday lunch there, and my family and I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IgnoredDavidVIPDined on 7/21/2014We arrived at 2 for a late lunch. We were ignored at each step to the process and had to push for attention repeatedly - wine order, food order, food delivery, check, pay - everything took forever. If you are open, be there! If not, close the doors!
- Won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time dining at Paragon and will be the last. We were staying at the hotel so it was convenient since Meritage was closed on Sunday. Our server barely paid attention to us and was very slow. We had to flag him down to place our order. My husband I shared a pasta dish which wasn't good at all, in hind sight we should have sent it back to the kitchen. I didn't eat most of mine. When we were through with our meal the server ask how dinner was and I told him not good. He didn't apologize or say anything.
- Fell flatPeggyDined on 7/16/2014I have been to Paragon many times (only cocktails, brunch and lunch) and always had a nice experience so didn't hesitate to volunteer it as a place to have dinner with friends. Great cocktails and bar service before dinner. Uninspired food and terrible service at dinner though the burger, fries, salmon and ribs were good. I won't beat them into the ground, but the experience was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats, stunning viewRLDaDined on 7/14/2014Paragon at the Claremont Hotel never disappoints. The menu is small, but the options are varied. Everything was delicious--from cocktails to dessert--and the stunning view of the bay makes everything taste even better. Make sure you leave time to tour the lobby and public areas of the hotel; the architecture and the old photographs on display are part of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingctoneVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food and service have gone downhill. The view remains unspoiled, but something as basic as a 'burger seems to be a challenge for the kitchen. The experience leaves no desire at all to return.Special Features:
- good, but...BudsTasteDined on 7/13/2014Service was good, but for these prices, you'd expect great. The food was good, but for these prices, you'd expect great. The location was great so I guess that's what you're paying for. We were there for lunch, and sat outside on a nice sunny day. I liked our waitress, but she wasn't as attentive as I would expect. I waited and waited for my second glass of wine which she did deliver to me with apologies and an extra long pour from the bartender. So no harm done. We had the time, so the lax service didn't matter to us.Special Features:
- PFcanoeDined on 7/12/2014too noisy with the live band, weekends, sitting outside. Arrive early enough/reserve ahead for great views and food outside!I would recommend this to a friend.
- View non pareil - food not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I ordered chicken caesar - nice dressing, but not a whole lot of salad; service was good. Tomato bisque was excellent. Others seemed to enjoy there lunch as well, but no one was ecstatic over the repast...wonderful views, relaxing time, good service, just a bit of a truncated menu; I have had decent eats there, but nothing to write home about (it is an outdoor viewing establishment primarily), but certainly some refocus in kitchen couldn't hurt - we will come back because the view/ambience is delightful - better if food was on the same plain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Dinner Success!mfowlerDined on 7/7/2014The staff at the Paragon were very helpful and accomodating as we planned our wedding dinner. We pre-ordered all the menu items, wines, champagne, etc., and delivered to them our wedding cake. Upon arrival, we were greated promptly and lead to our private dining room. The cake was displayed on the table, and they had also used the seating plan and place cards that we provided. Our waiter was in close proximty all evening, but did not hover. He kept the evening flowing smoothly without any interjections from my new wife or myself. Our guests and ourselves had a wonderful experience. I would recommend the Paragon highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch-good view & servicebecketteDined on 7/1/2014We went here with friends from South Africa for a meal before their flight home. The view of the Bay Bridge was good and the service and food appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and FritesCRDiRVIPDined on 6/26/2014I had lunch with my fellow mussels-loving friend this week at Paragon. The mussels were fresh, tender, and bathed in a fabulous herb-garlic broth that kept us dipping the bread long after the mussels were gone. Terrific frites to complete the French vibe. Also, the caesar salad was perfectly chilled, crisp, with just the right amount of fresh-tasting lemony dressing and croutons. The view of the SF Bay from the terrace and the dining room were spectacular the day we were there (minimal fog).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lazy lunchLindaDined on 6/24/2014I made a reservation for lunch, expecting a busy lunch crowd. the restaurant was very busy with indoor & outdoor seating mostly full. Service was slow, which suited me since we were taking our time & having a 2 hour lunch! Food was great & tastySpecial Features:
- Weekday LunchParkeDined on 6/19/2014Came here for weekday lunch. Luckily we had some time to spare because even though we had a reservation, we were required to wait for about 15-20min for a table (to sit outside). After we were seated, service was slow and sloppy, the food had a nice presentation and was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really?NotreallyfussyDined on 6/17/2014When we arrived, no table was available on the deck, although this had been requested weeks in advance. So, we were seated at an indoor table with a semi-obstructed view. One guest was served the wrong salad; then the wrong salad went away. Much later, the main dishes came to the table before the right salad did, then they went away to allow the right salad to be served. Then two main dishes came back; the 3rd stayed in the kitchen. Hence, we had to eat our lunch in shifts. No bread was served until explicitly requested. No dessert or menu was offered until explicitly requested. The salmon looked good, but the pasta dish was undistinguished. I think of this as a destination restaurant, but this experience really soured me.Special Features:
- Will not return!smlh1984Dined on 6/15/2014Came for dinner for our anniversary. Our waiter came over right away and rudely asked my husband to move his menu so that he could set down the bread, no friendly greeting, no please or thank you. Our drink orders were taken right away which he promptly returned with and a pitcher of water. This was the only time we saw him over the next hour until our food came out. He never came to offer us more drinks, refill our water, nothing!! Almost left without eating because we were so frustrated but decided to stick it out because we had heard good things about the food. The food did not disappoint, although the waiter got my husband's order wrong. Apologized after dinner when he saw we were markedly annoyed, but too little too late!
- Lovely lunch spotjnapaDined on 6/14/2014Surprised my mother for her birthday lunch. Service was excellent. View was beautiful. Food was good and the ambience was lively without being too loud.Special Features:
- Past due dateOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/7/2014We came for the soft shell crab dinner, it was the last day of the 7 day event and the crabs should not have been cook, Maybe for the past three days. I grew up back east and love eating soft shells. I know what fresh and stale taste like, they were stale. In contrast the oysters as fresh as they get tasted as though they came straight out of the water, perfectSpecial Features:
- Lunch ReviewMoragaBillDined on 6/4/2014After I made the reservation I read the generally terrible reviews and almost canceled. Four of us had an incredible lunch for an anniversary celebration. The service was impeccable, It was clean, The chicken wings could have been a little crispier but good, The Spinach grilled chicken salad and Skirt steak salads were tremendous. The grilled chicken sandwich also great. The view is beautiful and unimpeded. Sit outside if not to cold and you are able. We were not able to. Decent although not super deep beer selection. Overall a very good experience. $112 for four with one beer. I could see at night if it were crowded that the situation might be different. Enjoy it!Special Features:
- diner77Dined on 6/4/2014I especially recommend the Paragon for out of town guests. The view is spectacular and the lunch very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Food was very poor.OtisDined on 6/1/2014Food was too salty and they forgot the dressing on the salad. Very busy and noisy. Tables packed too close. Great view though.
- Great PlacellmurrayDined on 5/29/2014I live behind the Claremont and find Paragon a great place to meet with my neighbors though I took a friend that day who had never been there. He loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prices high but Nice SettingTerryVIPDined on 5/28/2014Prices seemed to have risen again. But nice setting.
- OkayhukilauDined on 5/25/2014Was looking forward to a night out after having to cancel dinner on our anniversary. Unfortunately, the wait for the deck was 45 minutes at 8:30 PM and there were many families with kids, which is what we were trying to get away from. Disappointing even as late as it was. Food was okay, not memorable. Still love the pear cocktail though. Only one of us could enjoy the view due to how the tables for 2 are arranged. I think I'm over Paragon as a romantic option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfactoryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014I had out-of-town guests. This was a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- WHY MUST THE TITLE BE 35 CHARACTERSQuillDined on 5/23/2014In the future, I will no longer give narrative reviews if you require a minimum number of 'characters'.Tell me why this is so essential for you and maybe I'll change my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rotten serviceenjoyfood232Dined on 5/21/2014The food is very nice, but the service was awful. The waiter did not greet us...had a sour look on his face the entire time. It ruined our plan for a lovely post-graduation lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What We'd HopedSusanDined on 5/21/2014While the food was satisfactory, our table was right in front of the service aisle, and my seat looked directly into the kitchen. The service was spotty. I had to ask a couple of times for a glass of wine, and it took nearly half an hour before it was brought to the table. Either there were too few wait staff and our waiter was over worked, or he didn't care about us and just ignored us.Special Features:
- It was just OKCherylDined on 5/18/2014It was ok but I wouldn't go back. The menu was very limited - not much choice. We had lunch there and went back at about 10:00 after an event to get something simple to snack on and the menu was the same as the lunch menu. I'm a vegetarian so there was almost nothing for me to eat, but even all the meat eaters were disappointed in the choices. The furniture was attempting to be contemporary but didn't quite make it. Service was very slow but only because there weren't enough servers, not for lack of effort on the servers' part. The prices were lower than I expected, which was great, but everything else was lacking, considering it's in such an expensive and gorgeous hotel. They could have given it amazing ambience but missed it.
- The service was okclairvoyanceDined on 5/17/2014The service I received was mixed. I made a reservation for 9:30 pm and my event ran long. I tried calling to let them know I would be arriving later than expected and after 6 attempts I stopped calling because no one answered before the line cut off. However, once I was there the waiter was very accommodating despite how soon the kitchen was to closing.Special Features:
- calgradDined on 5/17/2014Celebrated Cal graduation and it was a superb venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DogGoneHungryVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service was terrible. Even though they had reservations, we still have to wait at least 20 minutes. When we were seated at table, we didn't even have napkins. No bread was given to us even though the other tables had it. When they brought my main entrée out, they forgot to put my order in for the sides. So, by the time my sides came out I was already three quarters done with my meal. This was probably the worst service I received in a long time.Special Features:
- Great viewout4funDined on 5/8/2014The Paragon restaurant met all the requirements for a fun lunch with friends. The food and view are worth the trip into Berkeley if you are not a local. The Claremont Hotel is beautiful and makes it all the more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.