Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
41 Tunnel Road
Berkeley, CA 94705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paragonrestaurant.com/berkeley.html
- Phone: (510) 549-8585
- Hours of Operation:
Daily - 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Paragon Panorama Room can accommodate parties of 20 - 50 people for dining and up to 100 people for cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Paragon Private Events 5105498591x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday night, 8pm - 11pm
- Special Events: Consider Paragon for your next special event. Whether it's a birthday, anniversary, wedding or baby shower, rehearsal dinner or full wedding, we have the perfect location, menu and private dining offerings to fit your needs. For more information, contact: email@example.com or 510 549 8591.
A word from Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
Paragon is a neighborhood gastropub serving ingredient-driven, honest food, craft beers, unique cocktails and eclectic wines. Located inside the landmark Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, Paragon features upscale gastropub cuisine designed by Chef Marcos Sanchez, plus a large selection of hand-shaken cocktails, craft beers and an eclectic wine list. Our famous outdoor deck offers beautiful vistas of the rolling hillsides and on a clear day, a beautiful vantage point of the entire San Francisco skyline. We feature live jazz every Friday and Saturday night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (63)great for outdoor dining (58)great for lunch (31)special occasion (24)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (18)romantic (18)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (9)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Wedding Dinner Success!mfowlerDined on 7/7/2014The staff at the Paragon were very helpful and accomodating as we planned our wedding dinner. We pre-ordered all the menu items, wines, champagne, etc., and delivered to them our wedding cake. Upon arrival, we were greated promptly and lead to our private dining room. The cake was displayed on the table, and they had also used the seating plan and place cards that we provided. Our waiter was in close proximty all evening, but did not hover. He kept the evening flowing smoothly without any interjections from my new wife or myself. Our guests and ourselves had a wonderful experience. I would recommend the Paragon highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch-good view & servicebecketteDined on 7/1/2014We went here with friends from South Africa for a meal before their flight home. The view of the Bay Bridge was good and the service and food appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and FritesCRDiRVIPDined on 6/26/2014I had lunch with my fellow mussels-loving friend this week at Paragon. The mussels were fresh, tender, and bathed in a fabulous herb-garlic broth that kept us dipping the bread long after the mussels were gone. Terrific frites to complete the French vibe. Also, the caesar salad was perfectly chilled, crisp, with just the right amount of fresh-tasting lemony dressing and croutons. The view of the SF Bay from the terrace and the dining room were spectacular the day we were there (minimal fog).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lazy lunchLindaDined on 6/24/2014I made a reservation for lunch, expecting a busy lunch crowd. the restaurant was very busy with indoor & outdoor seating mostly full. Service was slow, which suited me since we were taking our time & having a 2 hour lunch! Food was great & tastySpecial Features:
- Weekday LunchParkeVIPDined on 6/19/2014Came here for weekday lunch. Luckily we had some time to spare because even though we had a reservation, we were required to wait for about 15-20min for a table (to sit outside). After we were seated, service was slow and sloppy, the food had a nice presentation and was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really?NotreallyfussyDined on 6/17/2014When we arrived, no table was available on the deck, although this had been requested weeks in advance. So, we were seated at an indoor table with a semi-obstructed view. One guest was served the wrong salad; then the wrong salad went away. Much later, the main dishes came to the table before the right salad did, then they went away to allow the right salad to be served. Then two main dishes came back; the 3rd stayed in the kitchen. Hence, we had to eat our lunch in shifts. No bread was served until explicitly requested. No dessert or menu was offered until explicitly requested. The salmon looked good, but the pasta dish was undistinguished. I think of this as a destination restaurant, but this experience really soured me.Special Features:
- Will not return!smlh1984Dined on 6/15/2014Came for dinner for our anniversary. Our waiter came over right away and rudely asked my husband to move his menu so that he could set down the bread, no friendly greeting, no please or thank you. Our drink orders were taken right away which he promptly returned with and a pitcher of water. This was the only time we saw him over the next hour until our food came out. He never came to offer us more drinks, refill our water, nothing!! Almost left without eating because we were so frustrated but decided to stick it out because we had heard good things about the food. The food did not disappoint, although the waiter got my husband's order wrong. Apologized after dinner when he saw we were markedly annoyed, but too little too late!
- Lovely lunch spotjnapaDined on 6/14/2014Surprised my mother for her birthday lunch. Service was excellent. View was beautiful. Food was good and the ambience was lively without being too loud.Special Features:
- Past due dateOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/7/2014We came for the soft shell crab dinner, it was the last day of the 7 day event and the crabs should not have been cook, Maybe for the past three days. I grew up back east and love eating soft shells. I know what fresh and stale taste like, they were stale. In contrast the oysters as fresh as they get tasted as though they came straight out of the water, perfectSpecial Features:
- Lunch ReviewMoragaBillDined on 6/4/2014After I made the reservation I read the generally terrible reviews and almost canceled. Four of us had an incredible lunch for an anniversary celebration. The service was impeccable, It was clean, The chicken wings could have been a little crispier but good, The Spinach grilled chicken salad and Skirt steak salads were tremendous. The grilled chicken sandwich also great. The view is beautiful and unimpeded. Sit outside if not to cold and you are able. We were not able to. Decent although not super deep beer selection. Overall a very good experience. $112 for four with one beer. I could see at night if it were crowded that the situation might be different. Enjoy it!Special Features:
- diner77Dined on 6/4/2014I especially recommend the Paragon for out of town guests. The view is spectacular and the lunch very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Food was very poor.OtisDined on 6/1/2014Food was too salty and they forgot the dressing on the salad. Very busy and noisy. Tables packed too close. Great view though.
- Great PlacellmurrayDined on 5/29/2014I live behind the Claremont and find Paragon a great place to meet with my neighbors though I took a friend that day who had never been there. He loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prices high but Nice SettingTerryVIPDined on 5/28/2014Prices seemed to have risen again. But nice setting.
- OkayhukilauDined on 5/25/2014Was looking forward to a night out after having to cancel dinner on our anniversary. Unfortunately, the wait for the deck was 45 minutes at 8:30 PM and there were many families with kids, which is what we were trying to get away from. Disappointing even as late as it was. Food was okay, not memorable. Still love the pear cocktail though. Only one of us could enjoy the view due to how the tables for 2 are arranged. I think I'm over Paragon as a romantic option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfactoryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014I had out-of-town guests. This was a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- WHY MUST THE TITLE BE 35 CHARACTERSQuillDined on 5/23/2014In the future, I will no longer give narrative reviews if you require a minimum number of 'characters'.Tell me why this is so essential for you and maybe I'll change my mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rotten serviceenjoyfood232Dined on 5/21/2014The food is very nice, but the service was awful. The waiter did not greet us...had a sour look on his face the entire time. It ruined our plan for a lovely post-graduation lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What We'd HopedSusanDined on 5/21/2014While the food was satisfactory, our table was right in front of the service aisle, and my seat looked directly into the kitchen. The service was spotty. I had to ask a couple of times for a glass of wine, and it took nearly half an hour before it was brought to the table. Either there were too few wait staff and our waiter was over worked, or he didn't care about us and just ignored us.Special Features:
- It was just OKCherylDined on 5/18/2014It was ok but I wouldn't go back. The menu was very limited - not much choice. We had lunch there and went back at about 10:00 after an event to get something simple to snack on and the menu was the same as the lunch menu. I'm a vegetarian so there was almost nothing for me to eat, but even all the meat eaters were disappointed in the choices. The furniture was attempting to be contemporary but didn't quite make it. Service was very slow but only because there weren't enough servers, not for lack of effort on the servers' part. The prices were lower than I expected, which was great, but everything else was lacking, considering it's in such an expensive and gorgeous hotel. They could have given it amazing ambience but missed it.
- The service was okclairvoyanceDined on 5/17/2014The service I received was mixed. I made a reservation for 9:30 pm and my event ran long. I tried calling to let them know I would be arriving later than expected and after 6 attempts I stopped calling because no one answered before the line cut off. However, once I was there the waiter was very accommodating despite how soon the kitchen was to closing.Special Features:
- calgradDined on 5/17/2014Celebrated Cal graduation and it was a superb venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DogGoneHungryVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service was terrible. Even though they had reservations, we still have to wait at least 20 minutes. When we were seated at table, we didn't even have napkins. No bread was given to us even though the other tables had it. When they brought my main entrée out, they forgot to put my order in for the sides. So, by the time my sides came out I was already three quarters done with my meal. This was probably the worst service I received in a long time.Special Features:
- Great viewout4funDined on 5/8/2014The Paragon restaurant met all the requirements for a fun lunch with friends. The food and view are worth the trip into Berkeley if you are not a local. The Claremont Hotel is beautiful and makes it all the more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outforfoodVIPDined on 5/1/2014The food has gotten better. Try the smoked salmom appetizer with taro chips-delicious. My chicken cobb sandwich was ok. I felt the ingredients and dressing was not spread out evenly throughout the roll, so each bite tasted different. The thin fries are good. It is beautiful to sit outside and enjoy the view.Special Features:
- Paragon @ Claremont HotelPFcanoeDined on 4/30/2014Get an outdoor table & eat well, when it's a clear day, you'll see forever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableSnooper1Dined on 4/28/2014Made a reservation for Noon on a Thursday. Arrived 5 minutes early and was seated at a table with a great view Lunch "special" menu included 7-8 items. Server was very knowledgeable and attentive without being annoying. Food portions were large, nicely prepared and reasonable. Check for 4 people was about $100, a great value for all the amenities. Will definitely come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing...Joan88Dined on 4/25/2014Should have read the reviews before going. Luckily, got a great corner table and my friends and I were able to sit and talk and have a great visit. The food and service were not what it should be for this location! The grilled cheese looked and tasted like it was made on cardboard, not bread and the garlic fries were served cold. Had to ask for bread to go with my salad and was then served enough bread for the entire restaurant...and it was pretty meh too:). Served our purpose, luckily with the table...but we could have saved money and enjoyed the food more by going so many other places. Would not recommend.
- Happy PlaceSuMoVIPDined on 4/25/2014Even in the rain without a view of the Bay, it's still a great place to eat. They don't have an extensive food menu but with a few favorites, I always enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant disappointingCynCaliDined on 4/22/2014I may have expected too much but my experience was disappointing. The ambience was the one of a sport bar. My pasta dish was too cooked, far too spicy and way too heavy. The dessert only tasted sugar, no flavor. A very loud group did not help. I would definitely recommend the paragon as a bar, the view is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!DiningtimeDined on 4/19/2014This is a great spot with great food and service. We've been coming here for a few years and love it. Always a lively scene with the bonus weekend live music! Also, surprisingly kid friendly. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- MarvDined on 4/19/2014Lunch for four in pleasant room in upscale hotel spoiled by surly hostess, first offering unsatisfactory corner table, then second poorly-located table adjacent to bussing station and kitchen entrance. Acceptable table obtained only after delay, much persuasion, and managerial assistance. Server indifferent, difficult to contact during meal. No beverage refills offered, coffee and dessert orders only from helpful busboy, and only after long wait. Then long delay for service of two desserts--customer inquiry repulsed by "kitchen is busy"--but previously-prepared dessert items only required plating and serving. Not recommended.
- Brunch/Review LengthQuillDined on 4/16/2014In Item 2, you have "Great for Bunch". Do you mean "Great for BRunch" ? I think this was a good suggestion, yet I don't think I used enough characters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was so loud, we left.Table4twoDined on 4/6/2014Table for two; couldn't hear ourselves talk. Almost so loud that it hurt. We left before ordering. NOTE that the Food and Service ratings do not apply to this review. I was required to enter something in order to submit the review.Special Features:
- A gemEdieDined on 4/5/2014How can the Claremont Hotel be overlooked...when it has everything! Even validated parking for the busy UC Berkeley area. I would like to keep this place a secret, so there would always be room for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ViewCandyDined on 4/3/2014I was visiting from Texas and wanted to return to The Paragon. Once again, the food was delicious, the outdoor seating comfortable, and the view breathtaking. If you are in the East Bay area, it is the perfect place to dine and enjoy the beautiful bay scene without the crowds and traffic of San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Food QualityMeaganDined on 3/29/2014I hate to write this review, this had been one of my favorite restaurants since it opened. The original chef was excellent, the food was great quality and tasted great! The last few years the food has been terrible, lacking in flavor, quality and decent preparation. I keep trying hoping they get a new kitchen staff and I am more and more disappointed each time I go. Saturday was my last trip to Paragon. A friend and I ordered a ceasar salad, burger and mac and cheese to split. The kitchen split all of our food for us. The salad was split and was so small that we each got about 8 bites of salad (a dinner salad is much larger than that), the burger was so well done it was inedible and the mac and cheese was completely flavorless.Special Features:
- Great evening!ItsamstryDined on 3/28/2014Food, view and ambiance were all amazing! Service was a bit slow, but the server was kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodLauraSpainDined on 3/27/2014Great dinner, great service, good ambience, nice place BUT very noisy and surprisingly after pay a big bill also we had to pay parking...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsSalsero65Dined on 3/27/2014If you're looking for a place to connect over a meal for business or a nice intimate evening out, the Paragon will not disappoint. During peak times it can be a bit noisy and depending on the weather, you may not be able to enjoy the scenic view off the terrace, but all in all the food is good and the restaurant has an upscale vibe with moderate prices.Special Features: