Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
41 Tunnel Road
Berkeley, CA 94705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.paragonrestaurant.com/berkeley.html
- Phone: 5105498585x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily - 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Paragon Panorama Room can accommodate parties of 20 - 50 people for dining and up to 100 people for cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Paragon Private Events 5105498591x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Friday and Saturday night, 8pm - 11pm
- Special Events: Consider Paragon for your next special event. Whether it's a birthday, anniversary, wedding or baby shower, rehearsal dinner or full wedding, we have the perfect location, menu and private dining offerings to fit your needs. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 510 549 8591.
A word from Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa
Paragon is a neighborhood gastropub serving ingredient-driven, honest food, craft beers, unique cocktails and eclectic wines. Located inside the landmark Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, Paragon features upscale gastropub cuisine designed by Chef Marcos Sanchez, plus a large selection of hand-shaken cocktails, craft beers and an eclectic wine list. Our famous outdoor deck offers beautiful vistas of the rolling hillsides and on a clear day, a beautiful vantage point of the entire San Francisco skyline. We feature live jazz every Friday and Saturday night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (64)great for outdoor dining (60)great for lunch (30)special occasion (29)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (15)romantic (14)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014There was an event on the outside terrace and so the service inside the restaurant suffered. It was 30 minutes before a waiter came to our table to take our drink orders. This after a waiter from the bar noticed us looking around for help. Our food came before our cocktails came. Food was good but the drinks were extremely over priced.Special Features:
- Great view great foodFoodloverVIPDined on 10/14/2014I love to stay at the hotel with visiting family. Love the view and the great California cuisine. Open late and enough room to have a conversation and catch up with friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive for BirthdaySerendipityUppityDined on 10/14/2014We treated a few friends to dinner to celebrate my husband's birthday. This was an extravagance for us, but well worth it. The food and drinks were superb, and the service was excellent. It was a Tuesday night, and we had a chatty, unhurried dining experience.Special Features:
- Bad reservation systemdonmudDined on 10/5/2014The service rating had to be lowered from 4 stars to 2 because the young girl seating groups would not acknowledge our Open Table Reservation even though I had a printed copy with the conformation number on it. We were treated as "walk-ins". The other service was Very Good.Special Features:
- Perfect venue for a perfect daypravihrvatDined on 10/4/2014Location, location, location: best Bay-view dining spot in the East Bay, serving very, very nice meals (shrimp-&-grits was exceptional), with service that's prompt and attentive but never intrusive nor made us feel rushed. Our experience making an early lunch on the terrace was, as always, a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visitorDined on 10/2/2014The meat was done to perfection although rest of meal was a bit too salty. Not much variance in flavor for different dishes. Place was a bit too loud. The view and company was the only thing that was really worth the whole experience. The one waiter was very nice and friendly, the other one gave the impression he had to be there but not really wanted to be doing this job. Won't come back in a hurry.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewEd49Dined on 10/2/2014Our 3rd or 4th time at the Paragon and this is the ONLY time the entire experience wasn't perfect. We had three cocktails from the bar and each time the drink was made and presented differently. Where is the consistency? Once seated at our table, our server, Luke, greeted us quickly and kindly. He took our order and the food arrived promptly and in sequence. The sad part was, that was all we saw of Luke until it was time for the bill. No check ins on how everything was. My dining partner is a manager at a very well respected restaurant in Oakland, so we kind of know what to look for! We didn't quite find all the key ingredients for a great time at the Paragon this time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pre-birthday celebrationLuvjones2Dined on 9/30/2014I couldn't make it to the paragon on my birthday but was able to go the night before. The food was fabulous, the service exceptional, and the mojitos just right! Overall my fellow October 1 birthday friend and I had a wonderful time at our pre-birthday celebration...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/24/2014this isa nice location, with great views, and the folks serving do a very nice job. Unfortunately my pork sandwich was greasy, and my guests pasta lunch was sticky and starchy.Special Features:
- TOO NOISYNeekaNaniDined on 9/19/2014OUR PARTY OF 6 REALLY HAD A HARD TIME CONVERSING. THE NOISE LEVEL IS SUCH THAT IT REALLY DIMINISHES THE AMBIANCE. ADDITIONALLY WHEN THE ADJOINING ROOM OPENED TO A GROUP THE NOISE REALLY HIT THE CEILING. I THINK THAT SOME MODIFICATION IS NOT TOO MUCH TO HOPE FOR.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingAlamoBVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food was very good. That being said, so much work is needed on everything else. The server got our order wrong. We had to ask for good wine glasses. The hostess was frosty. They have all these communal tables. The decor is blah. The list wine needs more choices. We often go to the sister restaurant in SF and it is much, much better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dmrmDined on 9/18/2014Had wished to eat outside, but the rain prevented it. The hostess was great, put two tables together for the four of us right by the window, so still had the view, and a wonderful lunch. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still going strongBzerkeleyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Paragon is a wonderful respite and yet is a vibrant place to meet for drinks and some food. Went for a late and leisurely Saturday lunch. Waiter was friendly, patient and accommodating. We asked if the chef could do a vegetable plate and we got a really nice medley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangingSuMoDined on 9/6/2014I've been a fan of the Paragon for years. The view is phenomenal, the bartenders are really cool, and the burger and mac n cheese are among my favorites in the Bay Area. Lately, it seems that there have been changes in staff - particularly management - and perhaps the kitchen as well. The service is not as great as it seems that the waiters are covering more tables and just don't have great attention to detail and follow thru. The menu items are changing too. In the past 3 visits, I've had the Sonoma chicken and each time it's been different. I'm missing the consistency of the experience and knowing what to expect. That said, I can't imagine going anywhere else for our family celebrations or special evenings out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014There's so much potential here but it doesn't seem like anyone cares...from the hostess to the servers no one really seemed to care about a thing. No one seemed happy- they just appeared to be going through the motions with very little interest in customer service. It's a shame because the food was good as was the presentation.Special Features:
- Great views...livinglifeat60Dined on 9/4/2014how else would you celebrate a BIG birthday but on a night out to a very special and memorable place with good friends. So I picked the Paragon at the Claremont Hotel. It is one of the biggest and most notable landmarks in the bay area and we didn't have to cross the bridge. All six of of gathered on time, we were greeted and seated right away by friendly and welcoming staff. Food was creative and prepared well - ahi tuna and roast chicken were good - and served with generous portion of fresh and well-cooked veggies! Overall, a nice place to have a special event.Special Features:
- Great outdoors and food!LetsEatVIPDined on 9/3/2014Gorgeous day and sitting on the outdoor patio is unbeatable. Great food. New menu is excellent except ginger juleps no longer listed. Asked the waiter about them and he brought then to us and delighted us! After a great time in the spa, lunch here is perfection. The Fairmont has bought the Claremont and things should get even better at this fabulous spot. Also appreciated the birthday dessert that was brought at the end of the meal as originally requested. All in all, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad attitude serviceAm243amDined on 8/30/2014Went for my Mom's birthday. Mentioned it to the hostess and pleaded with her to seat us outside. She refused and said it was for VIP's. So we weren't good enough. The waiter was disinterested - he didn't even ask us if we wanted dessert. I regret making Paragon the destination for my mom's birthday lunchSpecial Features:
- Word to managementOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014The restaurant has arguably the best view of the city, after going there for the last nine years I still find the service lacking and attention to the customers needs needs to be improved.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grilled cheese disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014We recently dined at the Paragon restaurant and all in all enjoyed our meal and time there. The waiter was attentive without hovering, the noise level was low (very important as two members of our party are hard of hearing), the view is beautiful. The grilled chicken and spinach salad was very generous and very much enjoyed as was the heirloom tomato salad. The grilled cheese on the other hand was a disappointment. It may seem odd to order grilled cheese at the Paragon but it was a cold, grey day and grilled cheese with a cup of tomato soup sounded perfect. The soup was quite nice, but the sandwich was dry, barely toasted, and overly full of cheese. I would return to the Paragon, but would go for something other than grilled cheese.Special Features:
- Great dinner on the patioJBCNDined on 8/16/2014The Paragon did a fine job. I had a Saturday reservation, but the dining room was not out of hand and it appeared that one could be seated on 30 min or so. The lounge and interior is more refined than the casual patio where we sat. The seared Ahi was excellent and the flat iron steak was season well and cooked perfectly. Missing from the menu were the mussels and lamb, but there were other options. The $12 cocktails while pricey for my budget were very good. The staff on the patio were casual and extremely friendly which was a nice surprise considering the surrounding high end hotel with more formal staff.Special Features:
- magnificent viewouttolunchDined on 8/14/2014Took a business colleague out on a bright sunny day for lunch. It was an impressive choice at the Claremont hotel. View was spectacular. Food good, price reasonable. Would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar, not so at restaurantRjcampyDined on 8/11/2014I made reservations two days in advance for four and asked that we be seated outside. We showed up five minutes early and were told that there was no outside seating available. We decided to wait, sat at the bar - received good service there - and finally were able to get a table outside after about an hour. It took fifteen minutes to get acknowledged, the waiter was swamped but appeared aloof. We had to ask for dinner ware, drinks, etc. Given that the prices are expensive I would say not a good value. It's a shame though because the Claremont is a neat place even if old.Special Features:
- Noisydws37Dined on 8/2/2014We went on Saturday night to hear the jazz. The restaurant was so noisy (and we were sitting towards the back of the main room) that it was almost impossible to hear the music. The food was ok, I wouldn't recommend going in light of the noise level.Special Features:
- fine, but...litgeekDined on 7/29/2014I planned a working breakfast and lunch for three people; I visited the hotel in advance to insure our specific needs could be accommodated. My pre-planning was ignored. We were escorted to an unacceptable table at breakfast; at the time, there was only one other party dining. We were able to change tables . At lunch we were seated adjacent to the bar at a table for eight, despite a confirmed reservation and watched multiple groups be seated outside which is where I requested we dine. We waited 45 minutes for any acknowledgement by the wait staff. The plus side is the food was good and the validation for reduced parking was a pleasant surprise. Just keep your expectations in line.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had my birthday lunch there, and my family and I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IgnoredDavidVIPDined on 7/21/2014We arrived at 2 for a late lunch. We were ignored at each step to the process and had to push for attention repeatedly - wine order, food order, food delivery, check, pay - everything took forever. If you are open, be there! If not, close the doors!
- Won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014This was our second time dining at Paragon and will be the last. We were staying at the hotel so it was convenient since Meritage was closed on Sunday. Our server barely paid attention to us and was very slow. We had to flag him down to place our order. My husband I shared a pasta dish which wasn't good at all, in hind sight we should have sent it back to the kitchen. I didn't eat most of mine. When we were through with our meal the server ask how dinner was and I told him not good. He didn't apologize or say anything.
- Fell flatPeggyDined on 7/16/2014I have been to Paragon many times (only cocktails, brunch and lunch) and always had a nice experience so didn't hesitate to volunteer it as a place to have dinner with friends. Great cocktails and bar service before dinner. Uninspired food and terrible service at dinner though the burger, fries, salmon and ribs were good. I won't beat them into the ground, but the experience was very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats, stunning viewRLDaDined on 7/14/2014Paragon at the Claremont Hotel never disappoints. The menu is small, but the options are varied. Everything was delicious--from cocktails to dessert--and the stunning view of the bay makes everything taste even better. Make sure you leave time to tour the lobby and public areas of the hotel; the architecture and the old photographs on display are part of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingctoneVIPDined on 7/13/2014Food and service have gone downhill. The view remains unspoiled, but something as basic as a 'burger seems to be a challenge for the kitchen. The experience leaves no desire at all to return.Special Features:
- good, but...BudsTasteDined on 7/13/2014Service was good, but for these prices, you'd expect great. The food was good, but for these prices, you'd expect great. The location was great so I guess that's what you're paying for. We were there for lunch, and sat outside on a nice sunny day. I liked our waitress, but she wasn't as attentive as I would expect. I waited and waited for my second glass of wine which she did deliver to me with apologies and an extra long pour from the bartender. So no harm done. We had the time, so the lax service didn't matter to us.Special Features:
- PFcanoeDined on 7/12/2014too noisy with the live band, weekends, sitting outside. Arrive early enough/reserve ahead for great views and food outside!I would recommend this to a friend.
- View non pareil - food not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014I ordered chicken caesar - nice dressing, but not a whole lot of salad; service was good. Tomato bisque was excellent. Others seemed to enjoy there lunch as well, but no one was ecstatic over the repast...wonderful views, relaxing time, good service, just a bit of a truncated menu; I have had decent eats there, but nothing to write home about (it is an outdoor viewing establishment primarily), but certainly some refocus in kitchen couldn't hurt - we will come back because the view/ambience is delightful - better if food was on the same plain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Dinner Success!mfowlerDined on 7/7/2014The staff at the Paragon were very helpful and accomodating as we planned our wedding dinner. We pre-ordered all the menu items, wines, champagne, etc., and delivered to them our wedding cake. Upon arrival, we were greated promptly and lead to our private dining room. The cake was displayed on the table, and they had also used the seating plan and place cards that we provided. Our waiter was in close proximty all evening, but did not hover. He kept the evening flowing smoothly without any interjections from my new wife or myself. Our guests and ourselves had a wonderful experience. I would recommend the Paragon highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch-good view & servicebecketteDined on 7/1/2014We went here with friends from South Africa for a meal before their flight home. The view of the Bay Bridge was good and the service and food appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels and FritesCRDiRVIPDined on 6/26/2014I had lunch with my fellow mussels-loving friend this week at Paragon. The mussels were fresh, tender, and bathed in a fabulous herb-garlic broth that kept us dipping the bread long after the mussels were gone. Terrific frites to complete the French vibe. Also, the caesar salad was perfectly chilled, crisp, with just the right amount of fresh-tasting lemony dressing and croutons. The view of the SF Bay from the terrace and the dining room were spectacular the day we were there (minimal fog).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lazy lunchLindaDined on 6/24/2014I made a reservation for lunch, expecting a busy lunch crowd. the restaurant was very busy with indoor & outdoor seating mostly full. Service was slow, which suited me since we were taking our time & having a 2 hour lunch! Food was great & tastySpecial Features:
- The following 681 reviews are from the Paragon at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reviews archive.
- Weekday LunchParkeVIPDined on 6/19/2014Came here for weekday lunch. Luckily we had some time to spare because even though we had a reservation, we were required to wait for about 15-20min for a table (to sit outside). After we were seated, service was slow and sloppy, the food had a nice presentation and was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really?NotreallyfussyDined on 6/17/2014When we arrived, no table was available on the deck, although this had been requested weeks in advance. So, we were seated at an indoor table with a semi-obstructed view. One guest was served the wrong salad; then the wrong salad went away. Much later, the main dishes came to the table before the right salad did, then they went away to allow the right salad to be served. Then two main dishes came back; the 3rd stayed in the kitchen. Hence, we had to eat our lunch in shifts. No bread was served until explicitly requested. No dessert or menu was offered until explicitly requested. The salmon looked good, but the pasta dish was undistinguished. I think of this as a destination restaurant, but this experience really soured me.Special Features: