110 St. Marks Place
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://paprikarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2126776563
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Egidio Donagrandi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Paprika
The restaurant features northern Italian cuisine with many dishes from the Valtellina area situated in the northern Alps near Switzerland. The focus is on the search for the best ingredients while providing attentive service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Paprika reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (7)romantic (5)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Rude WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014This being a North Italian restaurant, I was surprised that when I ordered a cappuccino at brunch, the waiter said he had to check if the machine is on or working. The food was good, no complaints, but the waiter was rude, told my friend to go to McDonalds. They also didn't check me in nor honor my OpenTable check. I'm not going back. There are many better choices in this neighborhood.
- Delicious but not busyDatenightDined on 7/12/2014We were surprised when we sat down that we were one of two tables in the restaurant. Apparently it's more of a lunch spot? We were hoping for a bit more of a bumpin' spot before going out that night. That being said, the food was incredible. The cream sauce for the gnocchi was the most decadent and delicious combination. I was thrilled! Others at my table had the Squid Ink pasta which was very well made and the seafood was perfectly cooked. If they deliver I'm definitely ordering it again soon!Special Features:
- Don't miss black ink linguiniKidteacherVIPDined on 6/20/2014We had such a delicious dinner at Paprika. The black ink linguini with mussels, clams, and shrimp was out of this world! I wish I had an even larger portion. The salad with arugula and pear was also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get's better every time!clb22214Dined on 6/20/2014This is my 4th visit!I love it more each time! The food is some of the best I have had and the place is such a gem!Special Features:
- The following 211 reviews are from the Paprika reviews archive.
- Excellent dinner experienceceyu1Dined on 5/3/2014I love the ambience and food here. Service was great even though it was getting crowded! We were never rushed and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same name, new owners, not goodXoffenderDined on 5/2/2014This used to be my old standby for the past 12 years. Arriving, we found out that 7 months earlier it had been sold, was under new management, with a new chef. Gone were the best dishes from before - some if which are still on the menu at opentable and on the website. They kept the oxtail paparadelle, which was still pretty good, but nixed the pizzoccheri and their amazing gnocchi with pancetta tomato sauce. Additionally, the vibe changed from cozy and dimly lit to bright with club music pumping. The wait staff was clearly not trained and it was a problem, even though I could tell they were trying. So a once spectacular Italian restaurant (also no longer run or owned by Italians) is now another inconsequential storefront on st. Marks place.
- NicespiderguyVIPDined on 4/28/2014Excellent oxtail Pappardelle! Very good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change is not goodchipDined on 4/12/2014Too many tables have been added to the place, which means too many people, too little silverware, too confusing for the staff and service suffers. Disappointed.
- Repeat2foodiesDined on 3/28/2014The menu has changed slightly since last time we visited; however, the food was still delicious. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worse service ever. Our waiterKtran89VIPDined on 3/22/2014Worse service ever. Our waiter Viktor was rude, obnoxious, unprofessional, had an attitude problem, hated his job, the list goes on. Food was good but I would never sit through another dinner at this restaurant given the horrendous service.Special Features:
- Exceeded everyone expectationsljschwarzVIPDined on 3/15/2014It is a great thing to be able to say that this East Village gem exceeded everyone's expectations. I was not even hungry when we turned up for our reservations but I devoured my Futtucine with Sausage and Rabe pasta dish and then sopped up all the sauce. I nearly exploded but it was totally worth the near death experience. Same with all of the others. The chicken was out of this world and the papardelle with ox-tail ragu was phenomenal. Unfortunately no one had room for dessert but the entrees were great and I will look to go back. Our waiter was great too.Special Features:
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Prix-Fixe menu when we were told otherwise. The options they gave were not the ones that the restaurant was known for, and when my main dish came out it was lukewarm at best. It almost seemed like they had unfrozen it. This was for Valentine's Day when you would have expected them to be far more prepared. I normally don't have a problem paying $65/person for 3 courses, but I have to feel that I'm getting good value back, and with Paprika this was absolutely not the case. Do not recommend.
- Awful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Awful experience Took exactly 2 hours for our entrees to arrive Couple next to us offered us their food as they received their entree first despite arriving 30 min after us Food was not hot even after the 2 hour wait Wait staff was not apologetic at all
- Perfect brunch spotaaaaaDined on 2/9/2014I went here on a Sunday at 1pm with a group of 4 and it was perfect. Brunch in NYC is impossible, but there was no line at Paprika and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The homemade pasta here isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2014The homemade pasta here is amazing. The gnocchi with mushrooms was so good and craveworthy. Will definitely be back for it. Service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed, would not go backJeffLDined on 12/13/2013I made reservation for my wife's bday. When we arrived the restaurant was less than a quarter full. We asked to sit by the window but they said it was for a table of 4. Later upon leaving they sat another couple at that same table. The server was nice enough but just not someone that seemed well informed about the menu or the wine. "Everything is great" type comments. The food was okay, I got the oxtail which I caught a bit of bone and quite a bit of fat. The wine we ordered was $40 and I know wine is marked up twice the price but the wine we were served couldn't have been more than a $10 bottle of cheap red wine. Bill was over $100 between just the two of us. No problem if better quality/service but this place just doesn't cut it.
- bad food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013The waitress did not want to open a bottle of wine for my girlfriend because they only had one bottle left and she was forcing us to buy a bottle if we wanted that kind of wine. Overall service was terrible, no water refills, bread is not free and pasta sauce was definitely out of a can. Over priced and not good.
- Good food, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Food was delicious. I ate the organic chicken, poleta was creamy, sauce was very flavorful. The service was absolutely terrible. After being seated no one came over to us for at least 10 minutes. They were out of a beer and a wine that we tried to order. We were never brought bread while all the tables around us got some, I did eventually ask for it, but we never got it. The table next to us was seated way after us and got both their appetizer and entrees before us. The waitress barely came to check on us, I started to order another glass of wine from the bus boy and the waitress saw and ran over. I had to stare her down to get her to bring the check and again to have her come get it. Food was great, doesn't outweigh the lack of service.
- It's all about the food!BillGVIPDined on 11/24/2013The food was great! Good service. Nice neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Casual Dining SpotTHincRDined on 11/23/2013We loved it!! The only glitch was that they were out of Lasagna...c'mon guys, you're an Italian Restaurant...you can't be "out of Lasagna". That said, we would come back here in a New York minute...for those that want a special treat, Crif Dogs (aka PDT Bar) is right across the street. Great after dinner watering hole, with a secret, hidden "speakeasy" era feel. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable blind score!HITEDined on 11/19/2013We discovered Paprika on Open Table and it was a wonderful meal and Fabrizio took great care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIP our old favorite date spotJillBVIPDined on 11/16/2013It was loud, busy, and just general terrible service. My wine was warm, we had to ask for bread, twice. My husband received the wrong entree & when we summoned our waitress, who said it was her first night (!!), proceeded to dispute my husband & said he ordered that. My entree became cold and I had to get it heated. After some time, my husband still had no food and the waitress told the table next to us that his food wasn't coming because he said he didn't want to eat anything. WHAT?! Why on earth would my husband NOT want to eat and just watch me?! I had words with the manager and after much time, my husband finally got food. In general, we felt forgotten and that our business was unappreciated. Will never be going back.
- Still a gemHecTheGreatDined on 11/9/2013Visited this restaurant two years after my first visit - still a great ambiance. Service was very understanding in still offering their menu items as listed (free of charge for extra items) even though they had just changed it that day. The server recommended a great bottle of wine when the one of our choice was unavailable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/27/2013Stumbled into this restaurant on a Sunday evening and was thrilled to have found it. Food was delicious,beautifully presented, well seasoned with very large portions. You can share the salad, big enough for two.Special Features:
- Good Italian for Italian Lovers2foodiesDined on 10/23/2013Really fantastic food. We love Italian food and we were not let down. We both got heavier dishes according to our server, and we were concerned they would be too rich, we were happily surprised when the dishes were not as rich as we were expecting. Would we go back again? Definitely, for the food alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little date spotBrokeArtistDined on 10/22/2013Great food. Medium sized, quiet Italian joint. Feels like you're on a side street. Mid-range prices. Great for a weeknight date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and good service,Lizbeth25Dined on 10/19/2013Delicious food and good service, but beware of portion sizes. They're incredibly small. My friend ordered the pumpkin ravioli, and while he enjoyed it very much, there were only 5 pieces and he was still hungry at the end of the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tale of 2 serversWillDined on 9/7/2013Good food, but service was either lacking or pushy. At first, while still enjoying our meal (and while it was still fairly quiet at the restaurant), we kept getting asked if we were done with our food (well before our plates were clean) as if the staff had someplace to be. When the place started getting a little busy though, we basically became invisible to the wait staff and went over 20 min without someone stopping by our table after our plates had been cleared. Getting the check was next to impossible.
- NopeBrunchGoerDined on 9/7/2013First, they upped the prices on their pre fixe, but haven't updated their website to reflect that. They also took bellinis and mimosas out of the pre fixe, so not only did we pay way extra for alcohol, but we went in expecting not to. There was literally no one else in the restaurant, yet we had empty water glasses the majority of the meal. Employees stood around by the register, and we had to wave for their attention to get drink orders, food orders, and our check. Worst of all, and what really ruined it was that they waited til they dropped off our 50 DOLLAR check (when we ordered the same thing last time it was 26+tax) to tell us they're cash only during brunch?!! I had to walk two avenues to get cash. Infuriating & horrible experience.
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2013Appetizers were actually really good--we had the black kale salad, the risotto rice balls, and the eggplant napoleon. However, the main courses were disappointing--we tried lobster maccaroni and cheese and this just wasn't billed correctly--there was hardly any lobster, and the sauce was more lobster stock than cheese based. Also tried the oxtail ragu and the pasta was overcooked and ragu didn't have great flavor. Service was at times very slow and at other times too pushy--for example, they attempted to remove everyones' appetizer plates while there was still tons of food left and we were still very much enjoying and eating them.
- Yummy Food and 1/2 Price Wine NightKirkDined on 9/2/2013We were pleasantly surprised to find that we had come on 1/2 price wine night (Monday). Our starters of carpaccio and the eggplant napoleon were superb. Would come back just for the eggplant. Tried three of the salads and a side of kale next, and everyone was happy. Next was pasta, we had the taglietelle, the gnocchi, the paparadelle and the special ravioli. All were great, but the gnocchi was exceptionally light and had a wonderful mushroom sauce, and the artichoke ravioli with the roasted tomato sauce were to die for. Luckily my son lives on the block, so we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent restaurant on St. MarksOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2013I don't have many complaints about this restaurant. The food is good, the service is attentive, and the prices are great for New York. The restaurant *is* on St. Marks, and it doesn't stray too far from that demographic, with loud 20-somethings and overbearing pop music. At the end of the day, Paprika is your average good restaurant, but nothing more.
- Great EntreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013The meals were very delicious and the ambiance was nice. We were also able to make a last minute reservation, which was nice. The only thing I found to be lacking a bit was the appetizer menu, but the entrees were so good I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Delicious food hampered byTacoDined on 7/27/2013Delicious food hampered by indifferent service. Most of the time the staff stayed gathered toward the back of the restaurant talking amongst themselves. Took as long to put in our order as to receive it because they just do not seem to care to circulate among the diners. The food was very good, atmosphere pleasant and romantic. Portions were somewhat small. Were seated and hustled out in under an hour -- very strange. Probably this is because the restaurant is small and it was Saturday night, but I would have preferred to feel less rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2013I went here as it was rated #1 in the area on yelp and I'm happy I went! The dishes were delicious and our server had great suggestions. I also enjoyed my wine pairing. The spinach pasta was amazing and so was the black ink pasta with shrimp. I also really enjoyed the panna cotta. Everything was very flavorful and I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went on a Saturday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013Went on a Saturday evening (this was my 2nd time). My memories of the first time were something of a romantic atmosphere. Instead, the place was overcrowded, and service was ad-hoc (appetizers came with 5+ min difference) and slow. But the food was still amazing!
- Good Value!ChewyDined on 7/11/2013Had the Prix Fixe dinner: beet salad and trout with spinach. Excellent value @$18, nicely presented. The service here is attentive and friendly. Would definitely go back if we were in the neighborhood again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!ManhattanGirlDined on 7/7/2013I had been here previously for dinner before and was very impressed. This time tried their brunch menu with a friend - food was delicious and quick, and the service was unfaultable. The place was quiet which was perfect for a chat a nice change from being ignored / harassed / bundled into crowded restaurants for Sunday Brunch in Manhattan. Overall a lovely afternoon in this gem - i'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good,wine menu needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2013Food good, service good, wine selections not very good - kept ordering different types in hopes that the next one would be better, but that never happened..
- Great food,weird service.DivineWindDined on 6/16/2013We love the food at Paprika. It is our go to neighborhood spot for birthdays. On Father's Day we went and the service was friendly but weird. They were nice but it appeared that no one was in charge. Things were chaotic and oddly indifferent. The company and the food kept the night from being a disaster. We'll be back but if things get weird we're outtahere and we're not looking back.Special Features: