2320 Central Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.papporestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5103379100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday. Starting at 5:30 pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: John Thiel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Pappo is available for Private Parties up to 45 people. Great for showers and rehersal dinners!
- Private Party Contact: John Thiel 5103379100
A word from Pappo
"Northern California Cuisine Done With Precision"-Oakland Tribune A Blend Of Local, Seasonal and Organic Ingredients Prepared Using Classic and Modern Technique."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Pappo - Best Restaurants in Alameda ›
Pappo reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (26)romantic (23)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Lovely EveningMaxchotshotVIPDined on 10/3/2014Luckily Chef John Thiel chose Alameda to open his restaurant. There is no need to go out of Alameda for a lovely evening out to dinner. The food is excellent! Service is professional. friendly and attentive. Do NOT miss any of his duck featured specials...they are to die for!Special Features:
- Wonderful Market DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Pappo's chef, John Thiel, creates weekly Market Dinners from the fresh produce he finds at the farmer's market each week; we've been to many, all great, and the one on October 2, 2014, was no exception. Another 90 degree day in lovely Alameda (had a heat wave the last 3 months) so chilled Gazpacho was the perfect first course. Tasty soup with crunchy veggies & croutons. Chilled chopped salad with cherry tomatoes, crispy salami and chive/crème fraîche dressing hit the spot as the second course. And a duck taco with homemade grilled chili salsa on steamed corn tortillas was the perfect entree. Lemon olive oil cake with a stripe of berry sauce and fresh berries and cinnamon ice cream for dessert. Lovely meal and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- summarygoodfoodforyouDined on 10/2/2014Had the market dinner and it was great-good food and drink, terrific serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We had attempted to reserve a dinner for 2 of the market dinner. The market dinner is where the chef plans a prefixed 3 course dinner based off what looks fresh and tasty at the farmers markets. It's only on Thursday and I messed up the reservations. The staff and chef made it happen for us. The service was beyond excellent. The food did not disappoint. Every dish blew my mind, they meal was the perfect ending to a day. Thank you to our server, the chef, and the kitchen staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoritePCakesDined on 9/19/2014Was recommended by a foodie friend. The service is fabulous. Their wine list is great! Seasonal menu. Consistently delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small but surprisingdk1134Dined on 9/14/2014The food quality was amazing. Everything that came out was seasoned perfectly, attractively presented and well proportioned. It was our first time here for a friends birthday and she was astounded with the experience. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2014Pappo hasn't earned "Best" in Alameda year over year for no reason. It's simply excellent and Chef John Thiel and staff in the kitchen and Tracey and staff out front are stars. Arrived at 5:30 p.m., enjoyed mouth-watering appetizers (John's fried Spanish olives are to "live for" and the Calamari was divine), on to a Watermelon, Mint and Feta Salad, ribbons of Zucchini Pasta with the lightest Bolognese Sauce that melted in your mouth. Then, simply walked across the street to see "The Hundred Foot Journey" at the fabulous Alameda Theater. An evening that my guest could not believe. Friend and neighbor guest had never been to Pappo's and can't wait to return. Enough said.Special Features:
- Beautiful summer evening mealFoodAlamedaDined on 8/23/2014We had a foodie friend in town from the East coast for the weekend and chose Pappo for our dinner destination. We were delighted with the seasonal menu, specials and the wine list. The food was amazing. The wine was delicious. Atmosphere was lovely. It is a bit noisy and our server was terrific, but seemed to have a lot of tables for one person. Thoroughly enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Hit or Missbkyun84Dined on 8/22/2014Been here twice and each time was pretty different from the other. Perhaps it is because the first time was great and set the bar high? I remember the food tasted well, but the second time was a little bit more debatable. In particular on the most recent visit my wife ordered the gnocchi and the portion size was very small. We counted maybe about 10 pieces or so in total. While it was rather flavorful, we felt it did not justify the price. Service was good and attentive. Overall this is wonderful place for Alameda with menus changing with the season. I am sure we will be back to give it another fair shakedown. One of the better restaurants in Alameda. Great location across from the theater also makes dinner and movie all too easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a neighborhood gemCDB1Dined on 8/22/2014Food was great as always. And the service is outstanding everytime. Just love Pappo. Our favorite Alameda restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pappo's - still a great placeDWCakesVIPDined on 8/22/2014We returned to Pappo's after taking an unintentional break to check out some of new places. Our server was really delightful & very helpful with wine selections. I loved my dinner - the Fresh Zucchini “Spaghetti”. My wife had the fried chicken sandwich and had food envy.....Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014I love Pappo, thank you Tracy for making dinner with my sister memorable! The food was great as always, the service even better!Special Features:
- Excellent All-AroundRichardDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had been wanting to try Pappo since we moved to Alameda last year and finally had a chance to on Friday night. We had a seat right by the sidewalk patio which was ideal ambience-wise. Ultimately it comes down to the food which was excellent as well. I had never had duck pate before and was pleasantly surprised. For entrees I had the lobster bake pasta and my wife had the steak with garlic fries; both of which were really good. I would go here again for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food in AlamedajoecoolortizDined on 8/1/2014Pappo is one of those local jewels. John Thiel and his staff make some amazing food at this small Alameda foodie restaurant. The service, the atmosphere and of course the food are always excellent. Try the Thiel family wines, which are also outstanding, particularly the Pinot Noir and Zinfandel, which is everything a Zin should be and more.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in AlamedaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014Love Pappo and everything about it. Tuna Tartar starter is absolutely fantastic, as is the Chicken sandwich. A classic Alameda gem!Special Features:
- disappointedDined on 7/25/2014I believe that the food is overpriced and not particularly appealing. My wife had the salmon which was undercooked. I just had Lobster Bisque and Ceaser Salad. Lobster bisque was devoid of flavor and had no body to it. Limpid is probably the best term. Too bad we were lookiking forward to more. Total tab was $65.00 with tip.
- Really greatXenosDined on 7/18/2014I hadn't been here in a while, but I really don't know why. I've enjoyed it every time I've been. For a restaurant that serves higher-end food it's very reasonably prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Market DinnerMazemonsterDined on 7/17/2014We had the Market special which consisted of 4 courses paired with 4 wines selected by the restaurant. There was certainly a lot of effort put into each of the dishes and some succeeded but others were just a bit above OK. The bisque was a little too salty, the salad a little too complex (for my taste) but the Lamb Sugo was excellent. So was the nectarine tart. All the wines were interesting and perfectly complimented the dishes.Special Features:
- An Alameda JewelChezHaHaVIPDined on 7/16/2014No question why this restaurant and its chef clean up each year in Alameda Magazine "Best of" issue with Best Chef (7 years in a row!), Special Occasion, Service, etc. Casual enough to be family friendly, but high caliber, inventive food makes it a dining destination. Gotta love a menu with hamburgers alongside warmed camembert with honey and preserved Turkish walnuts (yum).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alameda Favorite RestaurantlarmsVIPDined on 7/16/2014Never disappointed in Pappo as the food is always bright and delicious. larmsSpecial Features:
- PappoThatsItVIPDined on 7/11/2014I Have eaten here many times the food is always consistently very good as is the service.Special Features:
- The following 417 reviews are from the Pappo reviews archive.
- Lovely dinnerMeagDined on 6/27/2014We went here for our 8 year anniversary. The server was awesome. The food was delicious! We had the fried zucchini and squash appetizer. I had the gniochi and my wife had the duck. For dessert, we had the chocolate chip bread pudding. It was all amazing!!! Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- btrimDined on 6/13/2014Food was totally overpriced and ho-hum. Not worthy of the $120 price tagSpecial Features:
- GoodeatsDined on 6/8/2014This is a delightful restaurant. Delicious and interesting menu. Very friendly and attentive staff. We will be back.Special Features:
- No Bang for the BuckScooters3VIPDined on 6/7/2014We've lived in the neighborhood and have probably eaten at Pappo half a dozen times in the past 6 to 8 years. The restaurant serves decent food, the staff is pleasant and efficient, and the space is nice. Their prices for what they deliver are unreasonable. $18 for a chicken sandwich that looked similar to one Bakesale Betty's sells for $8. Sangria for $9. You have to ask for bread. One of the entrees we ordered was $28 for a very small portion. There are plenty of other restaurants in the general area who deliver better food for more reasonable prices. I overheard a young woman next to us complaining that the place was pricey. I agree. We're done with this place.
- Goodbye Pappo...HeathDined on 6/6/2014I really want to like Pappo...but the food and menu has seriously declined. My son ordered scallops, and I laughed out loud when I saw only three of them on a tiny bed of corn and peas. The price is much to high for micro and mediocre food.
- It was okJean24VIPDined on 6/4/2014I took my friend out to celebrate her birthday at Pappo. We ordered the meatballs (I think the were over worked and came out pretty tough but the marinara sauce was great) and the garlic herb fries (which smelled a lot better than they tasted). For entrees we had the gnocchi with bolegnese (really good!) and the duck leg (slightly overcooked and the veggies it came with had an overdose of vinegar). Now the both of us have major sweet tooths so we got two desserts as well! The banana bread pudding (kind of tough and I've had a lot better) and the chocolate terrine (really rich so beware). So overall everything was ok. The wait staff was nice but not spectacular. I can't say Id crave to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SammySammyVIPDined on 5/25/2014Pappo is always reliable. Great menu, fantastic chef and service.Special Features:
- Mother's Day prix fixeMorahDined on 5/11/2014Had a very enjoyable Mother's Day dinner. The food was excellent, the staff attentive, and the bistro style ambiance was great.Special Features:
- Food to dinerGeorgeDined on 5/3/2014My food came to me cold. It was a timing issue. My wife had duck I had chicken parmageon. Most likely the CP was cooked first and let sit while duck was being cooked which was not well cooked. Need to improve the sync of the meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian/California foodpH123VIPDined on 5/3/2014Service was excellent. Wines a bit overpriced but excellent selection. Food is very good to excellent with some interesting dishes as a very good price. Great Italian/California fare in moderate to high noise energetic dining roomSpecial Features:
- Great findJimbo75Dined on 5/3/2014We were looking for a place for dinner after a movie this past weekend. We went to Open Table and saw that this place was right across from the theater. We made a reservation for 5:30 p.m. just as they opened. I would say reservations are recommended here as it got very busy, very fast. The food is fantastic and I loved the limited menu because you know that things are going to be fresh and cooked for you. There are lots of options for vegetarians. The service by ALL of the staff was impeccable! Don't skip the double chocolate terrine! OH MY! What a way to end a phenomenal meal! We will go back.Special Features:
- Delicious but RidiculousPracticalDined on 5/1/2014While the food was delicious, the portion size was ridiculously small, and the price, exorbitant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the best in AlamedagoodfoodforyouDined on 4/25/2014We were entertaining our friends from Boston and all agreed that this was a fine dinner from the initial contact with the waitress to dessert. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great food finally in AlamedaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Nice to have a place to take my parents for dinner when I am visiting from Tahoe area. Food and service were excellent. A great find!Special Features:
- Another wonderful meal!apfoodDined on 3/16/2014We had another wonderful meal at Pappo. The food was great and the service was excellent. We really appreciate the understated elegance of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PappoMickDined on 3/1/2014We had a wonderful dinner with friends. Food standouts were mushroom appetizer, patatas fritas, the chicken. I love kale salad, but thought this kale salad was a little tasteless (still, I know it was good for me!) The only aspect of the restaurant that didn't suit me is that it was very noisy. That won't stop me from going again and again--however, I would not go for an intimate evening, because I truly found it hard to hear the conversation with the person next to me, and we were only four people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014Fresh, healthy food that is to die for! The service is incredible to boot! I would come here everyday if I lived closer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alameda's best restaurantlarmsVIPDined on 2/22/2014Pappo is consistently excellent with a menu that follows the seasons and is always fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceLKBitterDined on 2/20/2014Our daughter and son in law have raved about Pappo since they moved to Alameda, but we had never tried it. I made a reservation for my husband's birthday and we had a delightful experience. The service is perfect. The wine list is deep for a small restaurant. My husband had the flat iron steak with an egg and loved it. I had the gnocchi in truffle sauce. Amazing. This restaurant for the service, food and experience is an incredible value. We will return on a regular basis.Special Features: