Papillon Bistro and Bar
22 East 54 St.
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Papillon Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.papillonbistro.com/
- Phone: 2127549006
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 4:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Alberto Saavedra
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Marlon 2127549006
A word from Papillon Bistro and Bar
Papillon is a stunning classic French Bistro featuring an elegant rustic decor that brings you back through time to a provincial town in France. The exquisite decor is the perfect setting for Papillon's culinary delights. Our ambience is the ideal environment for young professionals to meet and socialize.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Papillon Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)special occasion (1)fit for foodies (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great place for business lunchBelindaFVIPDined on 9/18/2014Nice outside seating. Good portions and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreCeciVIPDined on 9/3/2014The food is neither good nor bad. Among the area's numerous French bistros Papillon ranks in the middle for food quality, ambience and price. It's ok.
- Not What I Was ExpectingTreebeeDined on 8/30/2014I made a reservation here months in advance for a nice dinner before seeing a Broadway play. I specifically asked to be seated upstairs and was assured that this was not a problem. When I arrived, the hostess seated us in the bar area at two tables that had not been cleaned or properly set and, when asked why we were not seated upstairs like I had been promised, seemed to have no idea what she was doing. On the whole, the food was okay, but for the price I would say it is completely not worth it due to the terrible service and unexpected atmosphere. Loud dance music was playing the entire time; not exactly what we wanted for a nice French dinner before Phantom of the Opera. I would never go back and would not recommend to anyone I knew.Special Features:
- Solid LunchTonyDined on 8/21/2014I typically come here for business lunches as it's close to the office. Always a very solid choice as it was today. I've never seen it over-crowded (except at nights when the bar is packed). But the menu is fairly diverse and offers a good selection, bar menu / specials are great as well which is what i went with this week. It's a good place in Midtown for a darn good business lunch that won't break the bank, can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Decent food-good bar-lousy serviceBigKahunaVIPDined on 8/18/2014Quality of food is quite good. The bar scene for happy hour is quite vibrant. The hostess is unfriendly and basically incompetent (all 4 times I have gone). The wait staff is earnest, but not well trained and/or experienced.
- Brunch/lunch.dutchieDined on 7/15/2014Nice location in midtown to have lunch or brunch. Food and service is good, with nice weather you can sit outside ! Vibrant bar scene, inside it can be very noisy, lots of business people for lunch during the week.Special Features:
- great if you have a dogOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/7/2014not only is there outdoor seating, the staff is very nice about you keeping the dog by your table (some places make you leash the dog on the other side of the partition). the food is fine. nothing to brag about, very standard, but i always find myself there when i'm with my dog in midtown because it's so convenient
- Très bon restoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Nourriture excellente, ambiance énergique. Belle trouvaille dans New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 164 reviews are from the Papillon Bistro and Bar reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/15/2014We (2 couples) chose this restautant based on proximity when hunger overcame us. The upstairs dining room was comfortable but the lunch crowd -- paritularly a nearby large table -- was loud and made our conversation somewhat difficult. Unlike some restaurants at which the server seems a bit put-out that he has more guests to serve, the waiter was happy we were there. He made good suggestions. The food was very good. The large table cleared out (we think they went back to their offices) and the atmosphere was cozy. We left happy.Special Features:
- it's standardOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/3/2014brunch isn't too pricey for a place in midtown, food was fine, nothing special. everything tastes the way you would expect it to. this spot works for me because i have a dog and they are one of the few places in the neighborhood that is very accommodating
- NoisyLumiereDined on 5/1/2014Get togethers with girlfriends who really needed to speak and be heard, though we were seated upstairs away from the noisy bar, the noise level was still not conducive to quiet chatter. Both the bar downstairs and upstairs did seem lively though, so it would be a great afterwork bar scene. the food was the typical french bistro fare, good.Special Features:
- NicedutchieDined on 4/11/2014Sat outside which was perfect. It is a big place so inside can be noisy around lunchtime. Food was good. Good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for lunch, OK for dinnerWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 4/8/2014I like it here for lunch when its packed and service is quick. At night the downstairs bar area is hopping but the upstairs is a neglected step-child. Service was slow, and I could not believe they put two day old rolls on the table when asked for some bread with the soup (onion soup was good though).Special Features:
- Safe place for business lunchJSVlunchesDined on 4/4/2014It is a charming, well worn bar with a typical brasserie menu. Make reservation because it packs at noon and the noise escalates. Food is served promptly by competent staff. It is a safe place for a quick business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caffè Taci Opera NightSomersetDined on 3/29/2014This review is for "Caffè Taci Opera Night," which despite the misleading name, actually now takes place upstairs at Papillon Bistro on Saturdays. Really awesome experience to be that close to such powerful voices of the professional opera singers performing. More of a dinner theater than an occasion for extensive conversation, at least close to the little stage. Can also just come for drinks at the bar. No cover or extra charge for the show. I sound like an advertisement, but definitely worth a visit, even for non-opera fans like me. Probably better to reserve by calling the number for "Caffè Taci Opera Nights".Special Features:
- Would not returngrancyDined on 3/16/2014We went to the restaurant to listen to Irish music and have a good meal. The restaurant was very unorganized and I wasn't even sure I would get my open table points. The drinks were outrageously expensive. Food was ok, but they were out of some items. Overall, overpriced and unable to accommodate large number of people.
- Pleasant business lunchYum23Dined on 2/27/2014Great spot for a business lunch. Waiters seem to not hear simple requests because it gets a little noisy, however, (had to be asked for rolls and water) and each time, they take a long time to bring the check. Food is tasty and the decor is quite lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy to talkkikinoDined on 2/21/2014I had been to Papillon previously for a private event on a Sunday afternoon and found it very charming & quaint with a good menu selection, so I was hopeful when I had to pick a place last minute for a family dinner on a Friday evening. It's hard to get a reservation in a lot of NYC spots last minute, so this was where we landed. We arrived at 6:30 - which is in the midst of happy hour and the volume of the music definitely supported that! We were taken to a table upstairs, so I would have hoped it might be a little less loud there, but was wrong. The waiter even got our drink order wrong (we ordered Estrella beer and he brought Stella) and I'm sure it was because he had trouble hearing our order over the sound.Special Features:
- Decent spot for lunch in midtown-TastyDined on 2/7/2014Decent spot for lunch in midtown- food is fine, but service is a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastrognomes ReviewGastrognomesVIPDined on 1/19/2014We waited for some time until someone acknowledged that we had arrived for dinner. We were told that the dining room was closed to a private party. The receptionist proceeded to seat us in the bar area with a bar menu. When we declined she offered to "make us something from the menu." I don't think we have been treated as badly in a long time. Someone could have called us about the situation since we made it a point to arrive on time. Very disappointing! Wouldn't dream of going back.
- Not as good as expectedReenaVIPDined on 1/18/2014Our table was next to the elevator. We were told it was not working. During the evening we saw that it was working and deliveries were belong made to the bar.during our meal. My husband ordered mussels and the sauce was awful, tasted like dishwater and certainly not garlic, as stated on the menu. We had lots of trouble understanding the waiter. I'm not sure if he had trouble with English or if he had a lisp. I ordered soup and salad and loved them. They did not charge us for the mussels, but I would not recommend the restaurant. We also noticed the entrée prices were very high.Special Features:
- Great for lunchDebraVIPDined on 1/16/2014It's noisy and sometimes crowded but the service is always spot on. I do find at times the portions or quantity of food on the plate a smaller size then should be based on the pricing. I typically don't eat huge meals but if I spend the money, I would like to see more food. While their sandwiches are really tasty, they also lack a lot of bulk. You can barely find the ham on some sandwiches but again, comes with a delicious salad and in some cases wonderful fries. Definitely a go-to place if you want to see how a restaurant looked in NYC many many years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- festive decorCacsVIPDined on 1/5/2014We went for brunch with a group but could only sit at the high stools around tables in the bar, not exactly comfy. I wish I'd known the dining area with regular tables would be closed. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great lunch during ChristmasFine67Dined on 12/19/2013Great lunch during Christmas season. Fantastic decorations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homey Bar and Great BrunchPenneelkDined on 12/15/2013If you want the biggest bang for your buck in midtown check out Papillon on East 54th. Papillon is close to the theatres, has dark wood paneling (circa 1930), a cozy bar, and a great second floor for a cheery brunch. We like to go for Sunday brunch during the Christmas season because in addition to the delicious Eggs Benedict, home fries, and mimosa/Bloody Mary for $20, there is a pianist who takes requests and a HUGE Christmas tree. It is the ideal place to have a meal or a drink before or after the theatre. Papillon is like home away from home.Special Features:
- This was our 3rd time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/8/2013This was our 3rd time here over the past few years. Cannot beat their Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for after workSarahB1VIPDined on 10/30/2013Papillon is a great spot for after work. Unfortunately, it can be VERY LOUD. Most of the time the dining room isn't too loud and you can enjoy a leisurely visit with good service. We were unlucky last week to hit on a night when there was an event that spilled into the dining room and the noise was maddening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialDineoutalotVIPDined on 9/17/2013Not bad, just nothing special. Not a very authentic French Bistro.
- needed a bistro for lunch,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2013needed a bistro for lunch, it was perfect very enjoyable
- Bar special is a great dealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2013For $15 you can get a choice of select entrees and a glass of wine or beer. It is only available at the bar and it is a great deal. The food is tasty and the atmosphere is welcoming. I will certainly return for lunch.Special Features:
- Ok for a reasonable biteAdventuresinfoodDined on 8/4/2013Not much in the area on Sunday so tried it. Food was fine nothing over the top but fine for the cost. It was fine until they turned music up for the one person at the bar then couldn't even talk for a while. Wait staff not particularly attentive so don't be in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a biz lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2013Good for how prompt your seated. Food is very good. The only knock is that the wait staff is too thinly spread, which leads to gaps on service. But overall if you are looking to get in and out in under 75 minutes..............try it.
- PapillionHunterDined on 6/26/2013Great spot in the neighborhood for good food and service at fair prices. Very good selection of beers on tap in a cool pub like atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasant receptionJaimeVIPDined on 6/8/2013Visit to this place became a no-visit. Reception was so unwelcoming that we decided to leave. We were shown to a table in a corner at a time when the restaurant was empty, and were told we could choose any table when we ask for a different seating. Mostly, the attitude of the receptionist was unpleasant, which took away the interest for the place, and we just left. Too bad.
- We loved it.KelsorDined on 5/23/2013Great food & lovely wine, served by Angel & he was superb. Highly recommended....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place will do well assleeVIPDined on 5/16/2013This place will do well as just a bar, not a bar/restaurant combo. What was really disturbing was how many bar customers were standing around the dining area. It made myself and the rest of my party feel very uncomfortable. The service was slow and rude. The food was okay, nothing spectacular and my fish was quite dry. I did come here for drinks one time and it was a much better experience in that mind set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for dinner. ItMW24VIPDined on 5/8/2013Went there for dinner. It was way too loud there. The food was average. The chairs look like they got them at a garage sale and feels like it too when sitting.Special Features:
- I had a great meal here lastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2013I had a great meal here last time I visited, but this most recent time the noise was horribly loud. It was about 7:30PM on a Thursday and the restaurant was full of midtown young professionals who were drinking. I actually had to leave before we ordered because it was so loud I couldn't hear my boyfriend over the music and drinking patrons at the bar.Special Features:
- Decent Midtown bar-fare. NicegourmetgalVIPDined on 4/25/2013Decent Midtown bar-fare. Nice service, relaxed environment. Food was reasonably priced and tasty.
- Lunch is usually better hereWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 4/19/2013I've always enjoyed coming here, but today it was 'off' usual expectations. The fish and chips consisted of a very large plate of French Fries and three tiny fish nuggets. Also, the waiter said that they didn't have mashed potatoes at lunch instead of the fries, but three items on the menu specified mashed potatoes as the side dish. At least the ice tea refills were free